ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Am Games THREAD

Are Pan Ams a world qualifier? Or is that only Olympic Cycles?! Thanks in advance.

Are Pan Ams a world qualifier? Or is that only Olympic Cycles?! Thanks in advance.
Good question. I've copied/pasted below, though here's the link, as some of the formatting (mostly indents) is funky. Short answer is no.

http://content.themat.com/forms/2018-MFS-WTT.pdf

2018 World Team Trials Qualification & Procedures

Men’s Freestyle

November 27, 2017

These are the style-specific procedures for the Men’s Freestyle World Team Trials and are subject to the general 2018 World Team Trials Procedures which are available on www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling or by contacting the USA Wrestling Men’s Freestyle National Coach.

World Team Trials Challenge Tournament – May 18-20, 2018 in Rochester, MN (all 10 weights)

Wrestlers who meet the following criteria will qualify for the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament:

1. 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Team Member

2. November 2017 Dave Schultz Memorial International - the highest placed Men’s Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2018 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament

3. March 2018 Bill Farrell Memorial International - the highest placed Men’s Freestyle USA athlete per weight category winning a medal who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the 2018 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament

4. 2018 NCAA Division I Champions

5. 2018 Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships - top 7 place finishes per weight class

1. Winners of the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships at the weight being contested will receive either an automatic berth to the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament Wrestle-Off or the Final X. Automatic berths only apply to athletes who have qualified for the berth at the weight being contested.

1. If there is no 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championship medalist at the weight being contested, the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Champion will advance directly to the Final X.

2. If there is a 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championship medalist at the weight being contested, the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Champion will advance to the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament Wrestle-Off.

The finals of the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament is a best-of-three series.

The winner of the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament will advance to the Final X.

True Third: if the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament did not meet each other in the challenge tournament, a wrestle-off will occur during the Final X event.

1. The date, place, and time will be determined following the completion of the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament.

Final X – June 9, June 16, June 23 (top 2 athletes in all 10 weights)

Weights will be wrestled in their entirety at the selected dates as noted above in a best-of-three series.

1. The weights and city for each date is TBD.

Roar, I think, unless I am mistaken, that jpsolo is asking if a nation has to qualify a weight in order to have a participant enter the World Championships at that weight. Similar to the Olympics. Pan-Ams was an Olympic qualification tournament.

Yes, I forget if you have to qualify the weight for Worlds. I’m thinking not.

Ahh...a bit outside my wheelhouse, though I believe the "qualification phase" for the world championships is an Olympic-year-only thing.

I see that the entries are up on track.

To my knowledge, looks like Hall's best competition will be Santiago Martinez (Lehigh) and Ethan Ramos (UNC).

DT will likely get to wrestle the Cuban who gave him trouble at Yarygin.

Tough to gauge anything without seeing the match, but I'm a little surprised that Martinez took him the whole 6 minutes.

Hall wins 10-1. He will face Ethan Ramos for Gold.

Reactions: diggerpup
Hall in the finals vs. Ethan Ramos. Finals starting now for women and men. Taylor has his draw for tomorrow.

Ben Provisor wins Gold as well!! Not bad for the guy replacing injured/ill J'don Cox. Double duty after the GR Bronze.
Watching Ben at the Open you could tell he is getting along with everyone. Good fit. Hell of a job in freestyle!

Reactions: diggerpup
Nazariy Kulchytskyy with a 2nd period tech, 11-0.

Taylor's quarterfinal up soon.

Roar, how are you guys watching this? It's not on Flo as far as I can see.

Roar, how are you guys watching this? It's not on Flo as far as I can see.

It's on Track Wrestling. You likely need a subscription. Try the UWW website if you can get an external VPN to watch it for free. Might work; not sure.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT