ADVERTISEMENT

OT, FC: 42 years ago

I listened to a news story on NPR about this song not long ago. Seems he has changed the words a couple of times from the original. And the ship wasn't on its way to Cleveland, it was on its way to Detroit.

Regardless, living on the lake, strange things happen. today, we've got 24 mph winds from the North. Waves are pretty large. I've seen a couple of freighters go by, one last night, and wouldn't want to be on one right now.

My neighbor put up a flag pole (so he could ID his house when boating). I told him he wouldn't be happy with it. Since June, he's been through three flags and two poles. Looking at it right now, the flag is clinging to the pole by one hook and won't make it to sundown.

Reactions: 91Joe95
As the wind was whipping against the house this morning at about 3 am enough to wake me up I thought about this song right away.

Still crazy to me to think the difference in water that the Great lakes can be. Dead calm and flat where people take 20 footers across to Canada and then big enough to take down 13,000 ton ship...

Todd and Brad Reed have a photography studio in Ludington, MI. They have a picture taken the day the Fitzgerald went down.
What you see is where a break wall extends to the lighthouse. It is normally around 8 feet out of the water. The lighthouse itself is 57' from base to top. The base is probably 15 feet out of the water.

Look here.

OL

I listened to a news story on NPR about this song not long ago. Seems he has changed the words a couple of times from the original. And the ship wasn't on its way to Cleveland, it was on its way to Detroit.

Regardless, living on the lake, strange things happen. today, we've got 24 mph winds from the North. Waves are pretty large. I've seen a couple of freighters go by, one last night, and wouldn't want to be on one right now.

My neighbor put up a flag pole (so he could ID his house when boating). I told him he wouldn't be happy with it. Since June, he's been through three flags and two poles. Looking at it right now, the flag is clinging to the pole by one hook and won't make it to sundown.

Don't spit into that wind!

Yesterday was nasty as could be up here. Today it is calm and sunny, but very cold for this date. Things can turn quickly. I live two blocks from East Grand Traverse Bay. The bays offer protection, but the big lakes, not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT