ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Pirates Thread

pirates are developing a good starting rotation. Tallion , Willams, Archer and Musgrove. Future looks bright
I wish I could agree but I have little hope for the future of this franchise. The individual futures of the four you listed may be bright, but if so, it will be with another team.:(

Pittsburgh still has an MLB team?

Yeah, they got uniforms and everything....
major-league.jpg

Reactions: CaryPSU
The Bucs were looking like a team that was building something - IMO. (Especially with young starting pitching - the most valuable commodity in the game)

Then they traded away a good chunk of their “prospect potential” for an already regressing back end of the rotation starter - Archer (kind of like a “pitching McCutchen”, a guy who “peaked” young and looks to be on a steady decline despite being “calendar young”)
That was a desperate move to try to stop the bleeding of cash from the lack of attendance this year..... and it didn’t even get them that.

Add in the bizzaro-world Hurdle decision of playing lame duck clods like Harrison and Mercer nearly the entire season - - rather than at least finding out what they had in Newman, Kramer etc - - is going to set them back as well.
The bottom line with the organization is that they don’t have the money to compete. The money still comes from TV deals, and the Pirate deal is paltry compared to most teams. This is a competetive problem with baseball that is only going to change with alterations to media contracts and revenue sharing.

The money is definitely an issue - and that ain’t likely to change anytime soon.

Of course, when you make “dumb-ass” moves (like, IMO, the one for Archer.... and the insistence on giving PT to lame **** guys - who aren’t any good anyway) that exacerbates the problem significantly.
Who knows, but I do think they were in a very solid position to be competitive for the next 5-6 years....... until they either f^cked up the development of Glasnow and Meadows (or sold them off for no meaningful return).

Ah, well, hope springs eternal - and there is always next year.

And like NOT drafting Manny Machado!! Instead you drafted Jameson Tallion!! (sp?)

Just THINK what Manny could have brought at the trade deadline!!!!!

Yes, wbcincy, you heard me!!!

:eek:;):eek:

My off season test for whether or not Nutting wants to win is the Kang decision. The only reason to cut him is money. If healthy and sober he's worth more than he'll get paid. A dedicated team will keep him and roll the dice. A cheap one will cut him to save a few million dollars.

Reactions: TheGLOV
My off season test for whether or not Nutting wants to win is the Kang decision. The only reason to cut him is money. If healthy and sober he's worth more than he'll get paid. A dedicated team will keep him and roll the dice. A cheap one will cut him to save a few million dollars.
I'm not sure the decision on a guy that hasn't played in a couple of years and on the wrong side of 30 defines the team. I agree picking up the $5.5M option is probably a good idea but it isn't a slam dunk.

Meadows seems to be injury prone, Glasnow hasn’t shown much other than potential. I think Archer might benefit with Searage as coach. I agree Nutting is a disaster. Hayes coming up at 3b may help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT