ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Pirates Thread

The Pirates got plenty of Nutting, and Nutting is plenty for the Pirates.

They won't lose 100, but they'll give it a good run. With Hurdle running the show, there's still hope.

Disgraceful. They have an off day tomorrow, which means they should be riding back from Arizona on a school bus. Because that is what they play like.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hurdle is a subpar coach with subpar talent on the roster...I'm shocked when they win a game

Not even related to his managerial skills.. he's become a cranky a-hole. I heard a female reporter ask a question about the bean ball game and his response was disgraceful. Something along the lines of asking if she even cared or if someone told her to ask the question.

Not even related to his managerial skills.. he's become a cranky a-hole. I heard a female reporter ask a question about the bean ball game and his response was disgraceful. Something along the lines of asking if she even cared or if someone told her to ask the question.

He's always been that way--people just ignored it stating how he was just an optimist that was focused on the best and the bright side of things. He's always been annoying and a jackass during interviews.

I really don't think the talent is that bad, just young in too many places. I do think Hurdle is a very bad manager, nice guy but horrible strategist. The way he handles the relief pitching drives me nuts.

oh--we disagree regarding he talent but agree regarding Hurdle--especially strategy/bullpen use.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV

Ya I'm getting sick and tired of the way he answers questions. They need called out as to why they don't have the best 25 on the roster, as well as some of his lineups.

Too young and NOT GOOD ENOUGH no matter how old they are.

Nutting certainly only seems interested in making money. How much does it take to make a rich man satisfied? A dollar more than he has—like chasing the wind.
Combine Nutting’s greed with the curse of FAN-FM and you’re doomed. The PITTiful Panturds can vouch for the negative impact of FAN-FM (not that it’s the only issue sPITT has).
O-BOY, here comes a fairgambit post about what a rival they are.

Reactions: fairgambit
Nutting certainly only seems interested in making money. How much does it take to make a rich man satisfied? A dollar more than he has—like chasing the wind.
Combine Nutting’s greed with the curse of FAN-FM and you’re doomed. The PITTiful Panturds can vouch for the negative impact of FAN-FM (not that it’s the only issue sPITT has).
O-BOY, here comes a fairgambit post about what a rival they are.

:D
Indeed! If they were not, why would they show up in a Pirate thread? It's OK. Deep down we all know Pitt is our oldest, most hated, rival. Most don't want to admit that but threads and posts speak louder than words.

Pitt/Penn State" "Embrace The Rivalry".

1927_pitt_vs_penn_state.jpg

:D
Indeed! If they were not, why would they show up in a Pirate thread? It's OK. Deep down we all know Pitt is our oldest, most hated, rival. Most don't want to admit that but threads and posts speak louder than words.

pitt-n-penn-state-banner.jpg

Honestly, the only people that care about the "rivalry" with Pitt are those stuck in the 80s and/or those that desperately want to leave the Big Ten. Pitt isn't relevant. Our rivals are the teams in the conference that are relevant. Not a subpar ACC team.

Honestly, the only people that care about the "rivalry" with Pitt are those stuck in the 80s and/or those that desperately want to leave the Big Ten. Pitt isn't relevant. Our rivals are the teams in the conference that are relevant. Not a subpar ACC team.

Until my recent epiphany I would have agreed with you. I argued as much for the past couple of years but the Pitt threads and posts kept appearing and I realized I was wrong. I hear a million reasons why Pitt is not our rival, but, as Shakespeare wrote, "methinks thou doth protest too much [sic]". Look at any other board, in the BigTen or otherwise. There is not a single one where a non rival dominates the board as much as Pitt does here. The reason is obvious.

Fifteen more months. Fifteen more months and then they join Felli in the Land of the Perma-Ignored.

Pirates just won, no thanks to a lousy, flea-bitten outing by the 'closer' giving up three walks and two hits in the bottom of the ninth.
I am convinced that the Pitt threads will not diminish when the series ends. There are too pervasive and many seem to actually enjoy them.
As for the Bucs, my wife's in laws are coming to town next month and she wants to take them to a game. I said "I thought you wanted to show them a good time." She said they don't care if the Pirates win. I said "Neither does Nutting." ;)

Until my recent epiphany I would have agreed with you. I argued as much for the past couple of years but the Pitt threads and posts kept appearing and I realized I was wrong. I hear a million reasons why Pitt is not our rival, but, as Shakespeare wrote, "methinks thou doth protest too much [sic]". Look at any other board, in the BigTen or otherwise. There is not a single one where a non rival dominates the board as much as Pitt does here. The reason is obvious.

I think Pitt is still a rival in the minds of some which is why they get the attention they do here...plus posters can't ignore Pitt trolls for some reason. I have no interest in playing Pitt and will root for Pitt at times. Such as against Miami last year and Clemson two years ago. Sometimes Pitt winning is a good thing for Penn State. Same with Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State. But I don't consider any non-conference opponent a rival for anyone....maybe Utah-BYU since they're an independent and ND vs anyone because, well, they're ND and an independent. I feel like rivals need to be competing over more than "bragging rights". Penn State beating Pitt is the same as us beating any MAC school--and that's not an attack on Pitt. I feel that way about any non-Big Ten school given the current set up

Reactions: fairgambit
The rivalry is not what it used to be, well noted above this post. It was quite heated and intense, those who experienced that rivalry remember the intensity. Since we are wondering in a rival-less world (OSU is becoming one in several sports but they will not admit it) we are searching for something we once had and miss, I know i do. I so looked forward to the Pitt game ending the season, on a high note or a low note occasionally. It was as intense as our on and off again intense competition with Nebraska in a similar time period but it also had a lot to do with competition for recruits. Today we don't compete with Pitt for recruits like in the past. The increments of a true rivalry are missing with Pitt and I can't see a scenario where they will be returning anytime soon. Sad yet a fact.

I foresee last place in the Pirates future. The Reds are 26-19 in their last 45 games, they're actually looking like a decent MLB team. (let's forget that 8-27 start)

I foresee last place in the Pirates future. The Reds are 26-19 in their last 45 games, they're actually looking like a decent MLB team. (let's forget that 8-27 start)
Yes, the Reds are looking good recently, actually more than recently. The Bucs are trending down, like the Titanic, down. The little I've seen there are mistakes happening that Little League youngsters learn from and avoid. Mighty poor execution at times. The relief pitching at times appears to be a batting practice session. It happens to most teams for a stretch but this is beyond a stretch, its a trend and a bad one.

A better manager would help but not cure the situation. He would win a few more games for them but how many is unpredictable. The current trend is predictable and mighty sad.

Reactions: nits74
Add to this that the Pirates management team seems unable to either properly evaluate or develop talent, and one can see the abyss ahead. Amazing how a 98 win team can deteriorate so quickly with so little hope for the future. They say that apathy is far worse than anger, and the pulse of the fan base at this point appears to indicate the former.

Yes, the Reds are looking good recently, actually more than recently. The Bucs are trending down, like the Titanic, down. The little I've seen there are mistakes happening that Little League youngsters learn from and avoid. Mighty poor execution at times. The relief pitching at times appears to be a batting practice session. It happens to most teams for a stretch but this is beyond a stretch, its a trend and a bad one.

A better manager would help but not cure the situation. He would win a few more games for them but how many is unpredictable. The current trend is predictable and mighty sad.

If they finish last, they will probably give Hurdle a bigger contract than the one he got last
year for only finishing next to the last.

The Reds and Bucs are definitely heading in opposite directions right now....
Hurdle may get a raise for finishing last--pretty sure that's what ownership wants

Reactions: bison13
The situation for the Pirates is that the whole team is mediocre to average, no stars and no obvious holes in the lineup. If there was an obvious hole someone could be acquired to fill it, but all that will be available for trade is more mediocre to average players. The only way they can get stars is to develop prospects, either home grown or by trade. That is where I was disappointed with the Cole trade. Huntingdon was offered a top prospect by both the Yankees and Astros, but he chose numbers over quality, 4 guys who will contribute, but not be stars.
And yes, Hurdle is a very poor manager.

Well, we did take 2 out of 3 against the Nationals although, it must be said after our one victory, the Nationals were the worst team in baseball; owning a 9 - 20 record in their last 29 games.

And I thought we beat a good team!

Grrrr!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT