ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Pirates Thread

proxy.php

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Raise it again! game 1 goes to the Pirates.

That's 3 in a row folks!!

{the jinx is in now for game 4 that's to me}
World Series here we com - lmao. we're looking at the typical Brewers rerun, don't they do this quite often? Start out well, finish 3rd or worse.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hey Pirates --- STOP WINNING! How are my Reds supposed to escape the basement?

Well, maybe we'll just leave the basement for Saint Louis. :) The Cardinals stink right now. And they just fired their manager! And nobody likes the Cardinals (or their fans) anyway. OK, that settles it, last place for the "Redbirds."

Last edited:
Hey Pirates --- STOP WINNING! How are my Reds supposed to escape the basement?

Well, maybe we'll just leave the basement for Saint Louis. :) The Cardinals stink right now. And they just fired their manager! And nobody likes the Cardinals (or their fans) anyway. OK, that settles it, last place for the "Redbirds."

Now you've done it!

Now you've really done it!

You don't go talking about Cardinal fans like THAT!

:eek:;):eek:

Great tweet on Twitter by Pittsburgh sports writer Mark Kaboly.

After another Pirates victory today, their 9th in a row and 11 out of the past 12 I believe, someone tweeted, "Break up the Bucs."

Kaboly replied, "They will."

Reactions: nittnee and TheGLOV
Great tweet on Twitter by Pittsburgh sports writer Mark Kaboly.

After another Pirates victory today, their 9th in a row and 11 out of the past 12 I believe, someone tweeted, "Break up the Bucs."

Kaboly replied, "They will."
Just enjoy this. I'll admit, I did not see this coming. Hope it continues. One thing about this town is that there is a certain element that, I swear, hope to see the Pirates fail. Those types are not worth the time of day.

Great win. I feared that after the 11 game streak was over that they’d start another streak in the wrong direction. I realize it’s the Mets, but you nailed it with deGromm. He pitched well. The Pirates were able to manufacture runs, and that is good to see.

Back to normal.

Can't even beat the shitty F'in Mets!
The Mets are shitty because of their owner Fred Wilpon. He Agrees to the worst contracts in Baseball (too many to list). Has Jackie Robinsons face (who never played for the Mets) plastered all over Citi Field. I love the team but as a fan I can only pray that he sells this team. David Wright and Yoenis Cespedes contracts are killing their cap and neither is playing baseball. Both players will be paid through 2021 and 2020.

Last edited:
Great win. I feared that after the 11 game streak was over that they’d start another streak in the wrong direction. I realize it’s the Mets, but you nailed it with deGromm. He pitched well. The Pirates were able to manufacture runs, and that is good to see.

As much as I love the last 3 weeks of pirate baseball, I fear it only puts them farther back in the long run. They aren't going to add pieces and Marte and Dickerson out really hurt so I dont see them keeping the same level of play. I was hoping to see them unload a couple guys (Harrison, Mercer, Freese) for some prospects but now I figure they are status quo and will end up 5 games back in the end..

As much as I love the last 3 weeks of pirate baseball, I fear it only puts them farther back in the long run. They aren't going to add pieces and Marte and Dickerson out really hurt so I dont see them keeping the same level of play. I was hoping to see them unload a couple guys (Harrison, Mercer, Freese) for some prospects but now I figure they are status quo and will end up 5 games back in the end..
They still may unload one or two of those three, but it really doesn’t matter. They are not worth anything and would only return marginal-to-non-prospects. The fall out from the uneducated fans with the Pirates “in contention” (barely) would be vocal if any of those three were dealt, but the team would not be any worse (except maybe Freese’s PH) without them. I don’t expect them to add right now because it is not worth giving up prospects at .500. I don’t expect them to add unless they get a chance to add someone like Sonny Gray (who is languishing in NY right now due mostly to his horrible numbers in Yankee stadium) for a marginal prospect. Similar to the Happ and Nova moves.

Agree in the sense that they aren’t/shouldn’t do anything to acquire anyone. They’re not catching the Cubs, and it’s not worth parting with solid prospects to try to get to a one-game wildcard playoff.

Thoughts on Pirates trade for Chris Archer? FYI: Meadows, Glasnow and player to be determined. I'm OK with it.

Reactions: bison13
What I like: Archer is good, durable and under contract for 3 more years.
What I dislike : meadows and glasnow have very high ceilings and is the PTBNL a top prospect(bad) or a bench player like Freese, Sean Rod, Frazier, etc.?

I like the Kela trade. They were desperate for another reliever and Hearn is still in AA Altoona. Again, I'm worried that the PTBNL in this trade is another good prospect.

Reactions: nits74
MLB network people acting like we traded Willie Mays and Nolan Ryan.

I don’t have issue with this trade. Kind of trade management got killed for not making before. Archer contract is controlled til 2021.

Meadows was apparently unhappy about his demotion. He has tools, but was hitting like .200 in AAA. Pirates extend Dickerson, The Meadows loss isn’t much IMO.

Glasnow I’m not high on. He was suppose to be a stud starter and in now basically a off/on reliver. I think he can be easily replaced. He was what he was in Pittsburgh.

Hopefully the PTBNL is Mercer and/or Rodriguez.
Just glad Pirates didn’t deal Keller or Hays. Moroff stats too thankfully.

Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
MLB network people acting like we traded Willie Mays and Nolan Ryan.

I don’t have issue with this trade. Kind of trade management got killed for not making before. Archer contract is controlled til 2021.

Meadows was apparently unhappy about his demotion. He has tools, but was hitting like .200 in AAA. Pirates extend Dickerson, The Meadows loss isn’t much IMO.

Glasnow I’m not high on. He was suppose to be a stud starter and in now basically a off/on reliver. I think he can be easily replaced. He was what he was in Pittsburgh.

Hopefully the PTBNL is Mercer and/or Rodriguez.
Just glad Pirates didn’t deal Keller or Hays. Moroff stats too thankfully.
Good moves. The Pirates pitching is stinko.

Nobody will take Mercer as a PTBNL - he's a free agent in two months. Any GM who would take Rodriguez under any circumstance should be fired instamatically. The only thing you can do with him is release him, which should have happened already. As long as he stays on the ballclub, Clint the Magnificent is going to play him, which joke is a different topic altogether.

Glasnow was done in Pittsburgh. He either needed a change of scenery or else he's just not good enough. He reminds me of guys like Jason Schmidt and Kip Wells - guys who threw hard but never amounted to squat.

I think Meadows can be a player, but his history suggests he's one of those guys who can get hurt in a feather factory. Boy Clint hated him for some reason.

My big disagreement with you is about Moroff. That guy BLOWS. Swings a bat with about six holes in it.

The Pirates made themselves noticeably better, whether it's enough to make the playoffs, we'll see. What still kills me is running Harrison and Mercer out there every night, both of whom stink. Kramer and Newman should have been called up yesterday and both starting tonight. If you could not ship Harrison and Mercer, then you release them. The money is spent either way, you're not getting it back, but you could have 60 games each for the new guys.

My thing about Moroff is, he is cheap, has some pop, and is versatile. I never said he was a star, but bucs aren’t very deep in the middle infield.

Good moves. The Pirates pitching is stinko.

Nobody will take Mercer as a PTBNL - he's a free agent in two months. Any GM who would take Rodriguez under any circumstance should be fired instamatically. The only thing you can do with him is release him, which should have happened already. As long as he stays on the ballclub, Clint the Magnificent is going to play him, which joke is a different topic altogether.

Glasnow was done in Pittsburgh. He either needed a change of scenery or else he's just not good enough. He reminds me of guys like Jason Schmidt and Kip Wells - guys who threw hard but never amounted to squat.

I think Meadows can be a player, but his history suggests he's one of those guys who can get hurt in a feather factory. Boy Clint hated him for some reason.

My big disagreement with you is about Moroff. That guy BLOWS. Swings a bat with about six holes in it.

The Pirates made themselves noticeably better, whether it's enough to make the playoffs, we'll see. What still kills me is running Harrison and Mercer out there every night, both of whom stink. Kramer and Newman should have been called up yesterday and both starting tonight. If you could not ship Harrison and Mercer, then you release them. The money is spent either way, you're not getting it back, but you could have 60 games each for the new guys.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b16b66ba-20f7-4a51-adfd-e9169bfe3111

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/94b9b3fd-4957-4acd-85d9-896ccbc0b3c0

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I respect the fact they actually went out and made a move to get better. I'm not thrilled about giving up Meadows but to get talent you have to sacrifice talent. The key to this deal being okay is Polanco. If Polanco continues to hit like he did in June & July (or even close to it) then I'll be even more okay with the deal. Archer has to become a legit #2 though

I respect the fact they actually went out and made a move to get better. I'm not thrilled about giving up Meadows but to get talent you have to sacrifice talent. The key to this deal being okay is Polanco. If Polanco continues to hit like he did in June & July (or even close to it) then I'll be even more okay with the deal. Archer has to become a legit #2 though
My thoughts also.

Raise the Jolly Roger

pirates are developing a good starting rotation. Tallion , Willams, Archer and Musgrove. Future looks bright

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT