ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Pirates Thread

No. Season over. They must be worn out for too much dancing after wins. Bright side after few trades they will be stock piling future prospects. Building for future every day. Unfortunately future never ends.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You knew this was going to come. I've always thought they'd win 75 games if lucky. We have a guy hitting .160 getting too many starts, and the bullpen is atrocious. Bell and Polanco are big disappointments.

The Pirate announcers drive me nuts with their early season giddiness when you know whats going to happen.

How many games is Hurdle going to run Rodriguez and Polanco on the field? I love Serpico, but he is an automatic out, and an automatic 2 errors per game right now.

You knew this was going to come. I've always thought they'd win 75 games if lucky. We have a guy hitting .160 getting too many starts, and the bullpen is atrocious. Bell and Polanco are big disappointments.

The Pirate announcers drive me nuts with their early season giddiness when you know whats going to happen.

I can't take Brown at all! I wish the Pirates would have let him go long ago.

No. Season over. They must be worn out for too much dancing after wins. Bright side after few trades they will be stock piling future prospects. Building for future every day. Unfortunately future never ends.

This is frustrating as they rebuild, but they did just make the playoffs three years in a row from '13-'15, so acting like the "future" never ends is very recently rebutted.

This is frustrating as they rebuild, but they did just make the playoffs three years in a row from '13-'15, so acting like the "future" never ends is very recently rebutted.

Aside from the fact they didn't build on that--instead they continue to focus on the future instead of the present. There's no desire to win. Those 3 seasons were a fluke. Fun for sure but a fluke.

Aside from the fact they didn't build on that--instead they continue to focus on the future instead of the present. There's no desire to win. Those 3 seasons were a fluke. Fun for sure but a fluke.

Name the small market team that maintains a window like that longer than 3 seasons. I'll wait.

Name the small market team that maintains a window like that longer than 3 seasons. I'll wait.
I have tried, without success, to find a list of the small market baseball teams ranked by the net worth of the owner. I expect Nutting would be near the top. Nothing prevents him from spending his considerable wealth to improve his baseball team. Still, I will not fault his failure to do so. Baseball is a business and the idea is to make money. If he can do that by pushing bobble heads, food, and fireworks, instead of a competitive baseball team, so be it. I will not buy his product and attendance tells me others feel the same. Most articles I've read of late call Nutting one of the worst owners in baseball. I am among those who think the most recent Pirate successes were a fluke. I don't expect to see that again in my lifetime. The fact is, I no longer care. I have turned down free tickets three times this season because, while the tickets are free, my time is not. This team is not worth watching, and bobbleheads and fireworks are not a big enough draw. I feel badly for die hard Pirate fans, but nutting [sic] will change under current ownership.

Reactions: wbcincy
Really? Their window was almost identical, from '13-'15. They're awful now. They are an example of my point.
And I agree with you. Small market teams cannot compete for championships on a regular basis unless their ownership is willing to spend part of their fortune to make it happen. Most will not unless their ego overrides their business sense.

And I agree with you. Small market teams cannot compete for championships on a regular basis unless their ownership is willing to spend part of their fortune to make it happen. Most will not unless their ego overrides their business sense.

And I don't blame any of you're financial/time decisions regarding the Pirates. I won't pretend my expenditures are the same as they were. I'm going to make it to one Pirates game this year. I used to always make 5-6. I don't blame the ownership, I blame the system. But it doesn't matter whose fault it is when it comes to how I spend my time/money, all that matters is there's a problem.

Really? Their window was almost identical, from '13-'15. They're awful now. They are an example of my point.
Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they win a world series & lose another in that time frame? Not exactly identical.

Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they win a world series & lose another in that time frame? Not exactly identical.

They did, but the point is how long can a window stay open for a small market. A lot can happen in the postseason, and I think the Pirates were just as good as the Royals in that span. If the Royals ran into Arrietta and Bumgarner in play-in games despite winning 95/98 games, I bet their history is different.

They did, but the point is how long can a window stay open for a small market. A lot can happen in the postseason, and I think the Pirates were just as good as the Royals in that span. If the Royals ran into Arrietta and Bumgarner in play-in games despite winning 95/98 games, I bet their history is different.
I agree the Pirates did well during that time frame, however, I do not agree they were just as good as the Royals, its hard to compare a team that went to 2 world series with 1 that was 1 and done in 2 play in games.

I agree the Pirates did well during that time frame, however, I do not agree they were just as good as the Royals, its hard to compare a team that went to 2 world series with 1 that was 1 and done in 2 play in games.

Well, it's fair that we disagree, but I think there's a fine line between the two. If the Pirates are in series rather than play-ins in '14 and '15, I think they may have made the World Series both times. They just got placed against almost unprecedentedly untouchable pitchers both times for a single game.

Basically I'm saying I don't think the Royals would've beaten Arrietta or Bumgarner those years either, so if they were in the Pirates position, their result would've been the same. Must've been nice to have your toughest in-division opponent win 83 games so you didn't get stuck in a play-in against Arrietta with 98 wins.

Well, it's fair that we disagree, but I think there's a fine line between the two. If the Pirates are in series rather than play-ins in '14 and '15, I think they may have made the World Series both times. They just got placed against almost unprecedentedly untouchable pitchers both times for a single game.

The problem is that this franchise will take 20 years to get back to that point.

Basically I'm saying I don't think the Royals would've beaten Arrietta or Bumgarner those years either, so if they were in the Pirates position, their result would've been the same. Must've been nice to have your toughest in-division opponent win 83 games so you didn't get stuck in a play-in against Arrietta with 98 wins.
I agree, and yet luck in scheduling is part of many championships and right now the Royals fans can reminisce about a World Series win just 3 years ago while Pirate fans must go back nearly 3 decades. I am not a big spender, but if I had the cash to buy a pro sports team, my ego would push me to spend whatever it took to make it championship caliber. If I was unwilling to do that, I wouldn't buy the team. Nutting, and some of the others, apparently do not feel that way. That's his choice, but it's a damn shame for diehard Bucco fans.

Reactions: TheGLOV and wbcincy
The problem is that this franchise will take 20 years to get back to that point.
Yep. As I said, I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. When my family had season tickets for over 20 years that would have bothered me, but right now I have nothing other than parochial interest in the team, and their wins and losses don't really disturb me. I just feel badly for the Pirate fans I know who still have hope each spring that this will be the year.

Right, my biggest issue with them right now is that they won't go all-in on a rebuild. They're half rebuilding, half trying not to tank. Which leads to perpetual mediocrity (see, Rays). Just go all out on a rebuild and be terrible for 4 years (see, Astros).

Right, my biggest issue with them right now is that they won't go all-in on a rebuild. They're half rebuilding, half trying not to tank. Which leads to perpetual mediocrity (see, Rays). Just go all out on a rebuild and be terrible for 4 years (see, Astros).

They definitely won't go all-in on anything. The only hope, ever, for the Pirates is that the farm system will produce multiple superstars at the same time.

They definitely won't go all-in on anything. The only hope, ever, for the Pirates is that the farm system will produce multiple superstars at the same time.

Agree, but I think you have to tank for that to happen. During the Astros awful run, they took Carlos Correa (1st overall), Alex Bregman (2nd), and George Springer (11th). Pretty solid foundation of stars, because they were willing to tank for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT