ADVERTISEMENT

Orgeron is out at LSU

The fact that SC and LSU are ready to throw 2-3 million more at James is telling. CJF is a excellent coach in a game where only 2-4 coaches are never going to be on the hot seat.
I do believe this. If James moves to the human culture pit know as Louisiana or the most absurdly expensive place in the US it tells me one thing. Be happy as a PSU fan for 10 wins and an occasional NY day bowl game. A NC championship or a spot in the 4 team playoff is not happening. PSU needs to step up and pay James what is required for a top 5-10 coach. Yes....Over pay him if need be... Allow him to keep his assistants, Why is Ryan Days name not mentioned for these jobs? Why?? Because PSU NATIONALLY IS CONSIDERED A SECOND TEAR JOB. Sucks to hear that doesn't it? If PSU is really the next Clemson pay him accordingly.
Money talks folks.....
No one really knows that anyone is willing to pay Franklin 2-3 million more. It’s all speculation.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I didn’t say that. I said at some point schools lose the ability to offer life changing money (he already has it) and then it becomes about more than just the dollar figure going into a decision.

He gets an offer of $2mm more, he walks.

He isn't going to say no to $2mm extra on its face. He might say no if he thinks he could get fired in two years vs. basically no chance of ever being fired from PSU
I would say that might be important to someone.

I doubt he leaves PSU unless it is for the NFL. The reason is that all of the college jobs which are at or above the level of PSU would fire you for not winning in 2-3 years. And sometimes they fire you even when you do win. After getting fired, you are an assistant again, or coaching at a bottom-tier ACC team, or something like UTEP. That's why guys sometimes don't agree to these jobs. It isn't because they feel loyalty to the school, or feel content saying no to $2 million dollars. It is because the risk of taking some jobs is too high.

I don't think elite coaches worry much about getting fired.

Yes, of course they all do. That's why they negotiate for signing bonuses and guaranteed years. After you get fired it's downhill for years. Kiffin had to go to FAU to get back to the Ole Miss level. So if you are already in an elite job, you are going to be picky about the situation. That's how it works
People as driven and motivated as Franklin are generally not afraid of failure or he wouldn’t have achieved what he has. Anyone who takes the Vanderbilt job isn’t afraid of getting fired and is supremely confident in there abilities.

It's not about fear of failing, it is about being picky about your next move. He can certainly afford to be. I think he would probably take USC over LSU for that reason. I'm not sure he would leave PSU for either if his recruiting class holds up. If he is worth $10 million in 2021, what is he worth after winning the B1G for a second time by 2024? And then what kind of better situation could he land. That's how they think about it.
I believe how Franklin and other big time coaches think is that he wants to compete for a national title. As much as I love my Dear Old State I think the other two places offer a better opportunity for that at this point in time for a variety of reasons. While I am not convincedFranklin would go to the West Coast I believe he would strongly consider the LSU job.

Yes, of course they all do. That's why they negotiate for signing bonuses and guaranteed years. After you get fired it's downhill for years. Kiffin had to go to FAU to get back to the Ole Miss level. So if you are already in an elite job, you are going to be picky about the situation. That's how it works

Signing bonuses? Never heard of that with a coach. As for "guaranteed years" that's as much driven by the school as it is the coach. And liquidated damages clauses accrue to both sides, the relative valuation depending on which side enjoys the bargaining leverage. Somehow I don't think that Nick Saban worries too much about being fired.

It's not about fear of failing, it is about being picky about your next move. He can certainly afford to be. I think he would probably take USC over LSU for that reason. I'm not sure he would leave PSU for either if his recruiting class holds up. If he is worth $10 million in 2021, what is he worth after winning the B1G for a second time by 2024? And then what kind of better situation could he land. That's how they think about it.
If it’s about winning a National Title he will go to LSU. I just think it’s easier to recruit kids that will get you to the dance. After the Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush era USC is still under a watchful eye.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
If it’s about winning a National Title he will go to LSU. I just think it’s easier to recruit kids that will get you to the dance. After the Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush era USC is still under a watchful eye.
Yeah, but in the SEC a coach will recruit against any number of programs that will recruit as well or better.

Tucker was an assistant there and is very highly thought of In Bayou country. Apparently Coach O made some sexual advances to an LSU administrator’s pregnant wife. He is in some sexual harassment trouble.
When ? Saturday night??

If I recall, University of Tennessee spoke with Gundy early on in their search and he was viewed as a little bit too colorful. I don’t know if there was serious interest on Gundy’s part. He would fit in well at LSU. His relationship with that big donor Pickens at OSU is also strained would be a good second tier candidate, after the top five names being tossed around..
Pickens has passed away

Reactions: Delco Lion
Pickens has passed away
So his relationship with Pickens is really strained, I kid.

I actually think gundy would be an interesting hire for LSU. He has been really good at OSU, I know he is a bit controversial, clearly wouldn't fit at USC.

If you get 8 years guaranteed up front, and then they fire you and pay you for six years to do nothing, some people might take that. Especially if they are near retirement age. Some of these schools are really dumb

Doubt Franklin considers himself near retirement but I don’t know him so maybe.

Looks like O’s off the field behavior may have played a big part in his termination . For the Athletic subscribers , looks like a bigger article just released there .

Was going to post - from the article (SIAP):

On the night LSU won the national championship in New Orleans, Orgeron went back to his hotel room around 2:30 a.m. with his wife, Kelly. They had nothing to eat, but somebody handed them some Popeyes chicken and the two finished off the box before falling asleep. By the time he woke up five hours later for a news conference, he was the man with the most capital in all of Louisiana.

Six weeks later, Orgeron filed for divorce.

In his 23 years married to Kelly, Orgeron generally kept a low social profile. His personality will always be larger than life, but he didn’t go out often and wasn’t known to socialize much. After battling alcoholism and a past involving arrests and restraining orders, Orgeron lived a more stable and private life for 23 years with “Miss Kelly.”

Then, at his most powerful — and his most wealthy — Orgeron was single again. He had just signed a six-year, $42 million extension and was a Louisiana hero. And he was going to enjoy it. “Something that had priority in his life that didn’t have a priority before was talking to (women),” one LSU source said. “That just became too high on the totem pole.”

To people and sources inside the program, there was no moral issue with Orgeron enjoying his life, but it was noticeable that football wasn’t his entire focus like it had been in years past, and it became a distraction. There was the infamous 2020 photo of him in bed with a woman, among other photos made public. Multiple sources said he brought women around the LSU football operations building. It all took place as his decision-making and coaching performance declined.

“It was just a distraction,” one LSU player said. “In 2019, there was no, ‘What’s Coach O doing postgame or Sunday during the day? Is he laying by the pool with a lady?’ He was planning events other than football.”

It created messes for him, like the time Orgeron pulled up to a woman at a gas station wearing exercise attire. “Hey, you look like you work out,” he said, according to multiple sources. “We could work out together.” The woman informed Orgeron she was married and pregnant, to which he responded, “Why does that matter?”

(Jamie Schwaberow / Getty Images)

That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward.

Ed-Orgeron-1.jpg

Last edited:
Was going to post - from the article (SIAP):

On the night LSU won the national championship in New Orleans, Orgeron went back to his hotel room around 2:30 a.m. with his wife, Kelly. They had nothing to eat, but somebody handed them some Popeyes chicken and the two finished off the box before falling asleep. By the time he woke up five hours later for a news conference, he was the man with the most capital in all of Louisiana.

Six weeks later, Orgeron filed for divorce.

In his 23 years married to Kelly, Orgeron generally kept a low social profile. His personality will always be larger than life, but he didn’t go out often and wasn’t known to socialize much. After battling alcoholism and a past involving arrests and restraining orders, Orgeron lived a more stable and private life for 23 years with “Miss Kelly.”

Then, at his most powerful — and his most wealthy — Orgeron was single again. He had just signed a six-year, $42 million extension and was a Louisiana hero. And he was going to enjoy it. “Something that had priority in his life that didn’t have a priority before was talking to (women),” one LSU source said. “That just became too high on the totem pole.”

To people and sources inside the program, there was no moral issue with Orgeron enjoying his life, but it was noticeable that football wasn’t his entire focus like it had been in years past, and it became a distraction. There was the infamous 2020 photo of him in bed with a woman, among other photos made public. Multiple sources said he brought women around the LSU football operations building. It all took place as his decision-making and coaching performance declined.

“It was just a distraction,” one LSU player said. “In 2019, there was no, ‘What’s Coach O doing postgame or Sunday during the day? Is he laying by the pool with a lady?’ He was planning events other than football.”

It created messes for him, like the time Orgeron pulled up to a woman at a gas station wearing exercise attire. “Hey, you look like you work out,” he said, according to multiple sources. “We could work out together.” The woman informed Orgeron she was married and pregnant, to which he responded, “Why does that matter?”

(Jamie Schwaberow / Getty Images)

That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward.

Ed-Orgeron-1.jpg

Franklin to lsu.

orgeron to PSU.

Propositioning the pregnant, married wife of an lsu administrator…what an idiot. Shooters shoot, I guess.

Reactions: Midnighter2
If James Franklin got fired from PSU, the writers would list the top 5 candidates to replace him, with.....James Franklin being the number 1 choice.
Or they would list a bunch of D-2 coaches as candidates because they seem to think PSU is a stepping stone job.

Reactions: BobPSU92
Tangentially speaking, other "hot seats"

Miami
F$U (?)
Nebby
MIzzou?
Washington State (?) Not football related though
Arizona (not sure how long that coach has been there....or even who it is).

Tangentially speaking, other "hot seats"

Miami
F$U (?)
Nebby
MIzzou?
Washington State (?) Not football related though
Arizona (not sure how long that coach has been there....or even who it is).

How many of these jobs can Franklin take?

Dude sounds like he had turned into a dirty old man, or rather hid it well for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT