ADVERTISEMENT

One Team Event at the Beav... Adley Stump

Nice line up so far... assuming Franklin will speak close to 8? My kids are ready to go to the Creamery, lol.
I just walked out. I'll be very disappointed if I missed him, but my guess is Coach and family are on vacation.

This was pretty good. I arranged to be working in Altoona today so for a free trip it was worthwhile.

By the way I got my picture taken with the Lion. The Lion is HUGE - 6'6" easy.

Horrible weekend for this, I was at fireworks last weekend, arts fest next weekend. Why did it not fall on a bigger weekend??? Three weeks in a row is too much over the summer.

Horrible weekend for this, I was at fireworks last weekend, arts fest next weekend. Why did it not fall on a bigger weekend??? Three weeks in a row is too much over the summer.

Adley stump played for free at the fireworks also. And free downtown tonight.

I just walked out. I'll be very disappointed if I missed him, but my guess is Coach and family are on vacation.

This was pretty good. I arranged to be working in Altoona today so for a free trip it was worthwhile.

By the way I got my picture taken with the Lion. The Lion is HUGE - 6'6" easy.
I met the new Lion's dad in a supermarket about a month ago. The dad is a little taller than me, about 6'3". He told me that his son may wear an old version of the lion's head for the Indy throwback game. He showed me a photo. The old head is one with a mane.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
The music was surprisingly good. The rest was an amateur hour pep rally disguised as a event to "thank" oneteam members.

That box dinner was embarrassing

The music was surprisingly good. The rest was an amateur hour pep rally disguised as a event to "thank" oneteam members.

That box dinner was embarrassing
You expected any different? From THIS ICA Leadership?

Although, in fairness, maybe it is reasonable to feel that EVENTUALLY - like "1,000 monkeys at 1,000 typewriters" eventually - they will handle something well.

It truly is amazing how these folks are able to piss themselves at each task - - - even the most rudimentary and basic tasks of an ICA Dept. (not even "going there" with regard to the higher-level tasks).
With each new dollop of bureaucracy, they take incompetence to a higher and higher level :)

"WE ARE"!!!

killing' it in a warm up concert... really cool treat

AC DC HIghway to Hell,

7 Nation Army

Crazy

Shut Up and Dance with Me

A squealing pig would have been better. Her rendition of "Me and Bobby McGee" had Janis rolling over in her grave. Obviously, I did not like her sound.

It was held because stage and seats were setup for Happy Valley Jam. Also, probably conned secondary acts to perform for little or no money.

What were you expecting from a box.....steak?
Reminds me of this one that Woody Allen told in Annie Hall.

“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.”

I'll respond to myself so I don't hurt anyone's feelings but some of you people just like to bitch for the sake of hearing yourself bitch. You're the proverbial old man "get off my lawn types" who can't enjoy life at any turn. You know who you are and you should just do us all a favor. I'll let you fill in the blank as to what I'm talking about.

killing' it in a warm up concert... really cool treat

AC DC HIghway to Hell,

7 Nation Army

Crazy

Shut Up and Dance with Me

That wasn't Stump that was the wife of the other singer David Ray and I agree she wasn't the best- probably an accommodation to ray for doing the show.
A squealing pig would have been better. Her rendition of "Me and Bobby McGee" had Janis rolling over in her grave. Obviously, I did not like her sound.

I'll respond to myself so I don't hurt anyone's feelings but some of you people just like to bitch for the sake of hearing yourself bitch. You're the proverbial old man "get off my lawn types" who can't enjoy life at any turn. You know who you are and you should just do us all a favor. I'll let you fill in the blank as to what I'm talking about.
Looks like the clouds are moving on past State College. Should be some nice weather with low humidity. It's just beautiful here these days. It's still full green everywhere and that's unusual for this time of the year. One drawback - I have to cut the lawn(s) way more often than I'm used to in July. Oh well.

Last edited:

You have got this so right. For people who profess to like Penn State so much, you sure hate every aspect of it.

Reminds me of this one that Woody Allen told in Annie Hall.

“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.”
That, in a nutshell mn78, is why I've been a fan of Woody's since high school. We connected.:(:)

I saw his standup act twice, on consecutive nights, in, I think, 1974.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The Bobby McGee cover wasn't the best I've heard, but it wasn't bad either. That was Morgan Frazier, another Voice alum.

She tried to get the 50% blue hair/75% not country fan crowd to do the chorus of My Church. Didn't work so well.

What were you expecting from a box.....steak?

I didn't expect much from a box. I just expected better from Penn State than just having them go to Sam's Club for a high school field trip lunch you'd get on a bus.

I didn't expect much from a box. I just expected better from Penn State than just having them go to Sam's Club for a high school field trip lunch you'd get on a bus.

They are made in house by campus catering, but yeah, nothing to write home about.

I mean they were fine for what they were. Just, c'mon, PSU, spend some money to truly make those OneTeam people (you know, the ones that you're going to call on to pony up for the stadium refurbishment) feel truly thanked.

The event basically was:

-Comments by Barbour (note, half the people were still waiting in line to get in since they put the food area right at the entrance instead of inside the stadium causing a bottleneck)
-Steve Jones
-The newer Olympic sport coaches
-Recorded messages from McGloin and Mauti
-Adley Stump
-Other Olympic sport coaches
-David Ray and his wife
-Jordan Hill and Evan Schwan
-A 10 second recorded message from Franklin
-A highlight video from the past 5 years

They had the bar open, but I didn't see prices posted. I assume they were the same price they'd be at the concert.

I don't feel thanked. Fortunately I was in the area anyway and didn't make a special trip from out of state. I feel bad for those that drove more than an hour or so for it.

For what it's worth, the Happy Valley Jam is a total bust. I sold an extra pit ticket that had a 200+ face value for $40. Honestly, I think I did pretty good given the lack of people here. A PSU employee told me they only sold 26k tickets.

I'm not a country fan, but given that this was the first concert at Beaver Stadium, I wanted to go.

To further my point, when tickets went on sale I got a room at the Days inn on Pugh for $250 a night. At the time this seemed like it would have a somewhat similar demand as a Penn State football weekend. Maybe I was too excited for this. I looked last night what it would cost me for a room tonight at the same hotel and it was $89.

Long story short, I probably spent $700 more than I needed to. I'm not upset over this. It's still a weekend at PSU which is always awesome, but this wasn't what I thought it would be.

For what it's worth, the Happy Valley Jam is a total bust. I sold an extra pit ticket that had a 200+ face value for $40. Honestly, I think I did pretty good given the lack of people here. A PSU employee told me they only sold 26k tickets.

I'm not a country fan, but given that this was the first concert at Beaver Stadium, I wanted to go.

To further my point, when tickets went on sale I got a room at the Days inn on Pugh for $250 a night. At the time this seemed like it would have a somewhat similar demand as a Penn State football weekend. Maybe I was too excited for this. I looked last night what it would cost me for a room tonight at the same hotel and it was $89.

Long story short, I probably spent $700 more than I needed to. I'm not upset over this. It's still a weekend at PSU which is always awesome, but this wasn't what I thought it would be.

About 1600 tickets were sold on groupon. That's pretty much the defining characteristic of a concert that isn't doing well, going 2 for 1 on Groupon.

I'm afraid to ask, but is it possible for PSU to lose money on this concert?

I'm afraid to ask, but is it possible for PSU to lose money on this concert?
Effectively, no.

Given that Beaver Stadium is essentially a "zero opportunity cost" venue (and will certainly be treated as such by the "accountants").
The total talent cost should come in under $1 MM (I think a day's work of the guy who is headlining comes in at about $500k - or less - and the rest would certainly be a lot lower than that)

So:
The fact that the venue is treated as "free"
The concesssions and parking money is all "in house" (as far as I know)

It would be just about impossible to not make money.
Will it be a lot? Almost certainly not

These types of events at Beaver Stadium (as was discussed at length last year) are pretty much abguaranteed money maker - - - but also pretty much a guaranteed "low return" money maker........ and will be maxed out at maybe one or two per year - of the decision is made to continue after this year (which I am guessing it will be, in the spirit of the bake sale mentality)

In any event, doesn't really matter either way - as far as I can see or care - but if the events appeal to some folks, more power to 'em and I hope they enjoy themselves.

Breaking even is a success if they can parlay it into getting a bigger act in once they work out the kinks in this event.

I don't think Blake is making anywhere near 500k. That's an insane amount for any artist to make for 1 show. MAYBE 100k from Psu and he'll make bank on the $40 t shirts. The openers besides b&r aren't making anything, under 10k. Psu is probably going to make 40 grand on booze.

I don't think Blake is making anywhere near 500k. That's an insane amount for any artist to make for 1 show. MAYBE 100k from Psu and he'll make bank on the $40 t shirts. The openers besides b&r aren't making anything, under 10k. Psu is probably going to make 40 grand on booze.

I don't know exactly what these folks charge - but it ain't anywhere near the figures you are talking about

FWIW: Some data from two years ago:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/see-ho...sical-act-from-taylor-swift-to-phosphorescent

Shows Shelton at $250k - 400k (at that time), and B&R at over $100k. I'm sure costs have gone no where but up since then.
And I'm sure "Stadium" shows come at a higher price tag than "arena" shows (due to the higher overhead expenses incurred to prep an outdoor show)

I don't know the names of any of the other underlings....... but I would assume their cost to be relatively minimal.

They are made in house by campus catering, but yeah, nothing to write home about.
I dunno, anybody disagrees, their opinion is valid, but I thought it was pretty good. I've had box lunches that was a hell of a lot worse. I had the roast beast - the bread was fresh, they gave you a goodly amount of meat, the cheese had some flavor. They had a little baggy with a tomato slice and lettuce so it didn't get soggy, a tube of mustard and a tube of mayo. Chocolate chip cookies, a small bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a water. I got a second one on my way out. Inside you had free popcorn and free Pepsi products.

Now I've been known to bark about how PSU does things, but really and truly I thought it was fine. How often do you get to walk out the tunnel? Besides, when is the last time they did ANYTHING free for the rank-and-file?

It was fine if it was a regular event. It was about $5 worth of food at that bulk rate they bought it for.

It wasn't fine to be an event supposedly to thank people for 5 years of financial commitment through the sanctions. Something that five years ago was advertised as a perk for sticking with season tickets.

If, five years ago, they said "if you commit to 5 more years, we'll give you a box lunch and let you come in the stadium while already set up for another event," would that have enticed anyone?

I dunno, anybody disagrees, their opinion is valid, but I thought it was pretty good. I've had box lunches that was a hell of a lot worse. I had the roast beast - the bread was fresh, they gave you a goodly amount of meat, the cheese had some flavor. They had a little baggy with a tomato slice and lettuce so it didn't get soggy, a tube of mustard and a tube of mayo. Chocolate chip cookies, a small bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a water. I got a second one on my way out. Inside you had free popcorn and free Pepsi products.

Now I've been known to bark about how PSU does things, but really and truly I thought it was fine. How often do you get to walk out the tunnel? Besides, when is the last time they did ANYTHING free for the rank-and-file?
wife & daughter were up for our grandson's soccer camp. they went, had a great time and thought it was a well run affair. some people must always see the glass as half empty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT