ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic trials

Given that wrestling is scheduled to begin on August 2 in Tokyo, when would the latest possible date that the trials could go forward? If the current situation runs its course and the need for social distancing abates in say 3 months, it's mid-June and we are still 6 weeks from the start of the Games. Reason for optimism?

I plan to do exactly that, but my 2nd round recording got zapped. Unfortunately, that round had the best match - Nolf destroying Van Brill. Nolf’s 2nd or 3rd TD was savage - some sort of trip. Van Brill wanted off the mat in the worst way but had to take his beating.

Before the match a bunch of Rutgers goons, including Richie Lewis and Eleazor de Luca, were chirping to Nolf. Did not end well for them
A lil' somethin somethin for you.

Given that wrestling is scheduled to begin on August 2 in Tokyo, when would the latest possible date that the trials could go forward? If the current situation runs its course and the need for social distancing abates in say 3 months, it's mid-June and we are still 6 weeks from the start of the Games. Reason for optimism?
Just remember, they also have to fit in Last Chance qualifier for the trials as well as the weight, plus then the team trials. I am not saying they can't do that, just wanted to lay out what needs to happen.
And no NCAA champs, so Last Chance Qualifier means even more than it did. Plus Millersburg said it will not be at their gym, maybe Wilkes could hold it!

Reactions: hlstone

And who knows, Tokyo may be pushed back a couple months. I think we will wait for word from Tokyo, then adjust all events based on that.

Reactions: diggerpup
Woke up this morning hoping this was all just a bad dream. Went to the grocery store, saw there was no toilet paper.

Realized I had to cancel my hotel rooms before it was too late. I hope I'm calling back soon and rebooking. I'll be happy to pay those premium prices as I miss this stuff.

Woke up this morning hoping this was all just a bad dream. Went to the grocery store, saw there was no toilet paper.

Realized I had to cancel my hotel rooms before it was too late. I hope I'm calling back soon and rebooking. I'll be happy to pay those premium prices as I miss this stuff.
No sports to watch does make for a weird weekend.

To get my fix, I played catch with my grandson. Took him to the course and we chipped and putted. Now I sitting in a huge building watch my oldest granddaughter finish her gymnastics practice. Not a bad, sportless day.;)

Just cancelled my hotel for the trials w/o any penalty.:) Not getting the chance to make trip :(:(:(.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Anybody do anything through Expedia?

Yes, I had a car rental reserved and hotel that was fully paid for. Went online this morning and canceled both by going to "My Itinerary" and selecting the reservations. Was fairly easy to cancel. There should be a button somewhere on the itinerary that says cancel. I'm supposed to get a full refund put back on the card I used. No penalty. Supposedly Expedia follows the vendors policies. I think most are now waiving any penalty, if there would have been one.

Just an FYI for anybody having a problem canceling anything. I had an Avis rental car reservation that I happened to prepay originally. When I went to cancel with my app it said there was a $50 charge. I called to complain, the guy told me his boss said to give a $50 coupon to make it up, but I wasn’t happy with that. I asked to speak to his boss and he said he wasn’t there.

So I said I wasn’t happy with that and wanted to speak to a supervisor. He said that is all you had to do, so since I asked for his boss, who supposedly wasn’t there I didn’t use the magic word, which was asking for another supervisor.

I was on hold for at least 20 minutes but when the supervisor came on he said he would cancel without penalty. So bottom line, if told no refunds ask for a supervisor and you will probably get it taken care of. Kind of annoying you have to jump through those hoops through sometimes....

I did through Expedia. Have not been able to talk to a human.....countless recordings of ….Due to technical difficulties.....I purchased Both Flight and booking insurance but so far......nothing

I did through Expedia. Have not been able to talk to a human.....countless recordings of ….Due to technical difficulties.....I purchased Both Flight and booking insurance but so far......nothing

I don't know about the flights, but I called the hotel directly before going through Expedia. The hotel told me there would be no cancellation fee so I knew if I saw a cancellation fee on Expedia it would have been BS. Then I just cancelled online without needing to speak with anyone. I'm supposed to have a full refund and will be checking my CC to verify when it is deposited.

i booked through expedia and paid then. got a cheaper rate because it was non-cancelable. if restaurants are back open to the public i'll probably still go up for the two days. if not, i guess i'll try and call to get my money back. hopefully the mass of people calling them will calm down by then too, so my hold time won't be as long.

From UWW

"The current situation surrounding the COVID-19 is developing on a daily basis and many considerations are being made to best address the situation.

United World Wrestling is in dialogue with the International Olympic Committee and International Health Organisations to stay informed. The qualification of athletes for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 remains the main goal for UWW and to have all athletes qualify on the field of play.

At the same time the health and safety of our athletes is United World Wrestling’s top priority takes precedent over all else.

In line with these actions, United World Wrestling is also taking action to protect the health of its staff and their families.

With the intent to limit the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, UWW has decided to adapt its way of working and all staff will work from home until further notice."

Interesting statement, glad we got most qualified this past weekend.

Home for the Olympic Trials, so other than the ticket, it's a non-issue for me. I do have experience with Delta (for NCAA's), and know enough of other's situations on refunds, e-credits, and fees to cancel (not just with Delta ... though MY experience was with them), that I feel for anyone cancelling their flight for the Trials. It's a mess.

Home for the Olympic Trials, so other than the ticket, it's a non-issue for me. I do have experience with Delta (for NCAA's), and know enough of other's situations on refunds, e-credits, and fees to cancel (not just with Delta ... though MY experience was with them), that I feel for anyone cancelling their flight for the Trials. It's a mess.

Is this an admission to being caught up in a little drama?:rolleyes:

Reactions: hlstone

I processed my hotel cancellation using Expedia's online platform on Monday 3/16 and a full refund was indicated to be deposited into my original payment account. Today, 3/18, I checked my CC online and the refund in the full amount has been posted to my account with a transaction date of 3/16. Hopefully everyone else will have similar results.

i booked through expedia and paid then. got a cheaper rate because it was non-cancelable. if restaurants are back open to the public i'll probably still go up for the two days. if not, i guess i'll try and call to get my money back. hopefully the mass of people calling them will calm down by then too, so my hold time won't be as long.
I did the exact same thing to book, but will be pissed if they don’t refund me. It’d be worth it to try and check out M2 and shit for me, but I’m guessing the world is closing there like it is in MN. No way to get ahold of em, either. Obnoxious.

I need to stfu. Am now able to cancel my hotel for full refund. Stop being a Polly PissyPants, Duster.

you're getting a full refund? i was just able to cancel through expedia but got the message, making me think i'm not going to get my money back unless i make a huge stink:

The hotel may collect any remaining deposits.
Your original deposit agreement is below:

You will be charged deposits by the property based on the following schedule.

• 100 percent (after booking)

you're getting a full refund? i was just able to cancel through expedia but got the message, making me think i'm not going to get my money back unless i make a huge stink:

The hotel may collect any remaining deposits.
Your original deposit agreement is below:

You will be charged deposits by the property based on the following schedule.

• 100 percent (after booking)
May depend on hotel. When I clicked to cancel, I was given an amount instead of 0 when I cancelled. Earlier, it had been 0. I also purchased the protection thing, but not sure how it affected it.

Glass half full if Olympics are in 2021:
- Healthy Nolf
- Even more Recovery Time for Taylor
- Bo / Cassar MMA sooner? (or delayed for those that don't like it!)
- Rejuvenated and rested Mark Hall
- @CropDuster507 has more opportunities to lock Cenzo in a Greco room
- Kerk has more time with Snyder & Casey & Co.
- Zain will be Zain and be terrifying
- Penn St. super babies made?!?!
- Robbie Howard gets another year (or more time) of development to qualify / make a magical run maybe?

Reactions: CropDuster507
How close is M2 to State College or the campus area?
I hope to get over to PA at some point.
15-20 min from campus. It's on College Ave, which is the street that divides campus from downtown -- though the freeway is a little faster than College Ave the whole way.

Reactions: nitlion6
Maybe I drive too fast ?
Maybe if you started from the BJC and hit zero traffic -- it's 10 miles from there.

Anywhere else on campus ... not making 10 minutes with red lights between campus and freeway.

Gonna chalk this up to perception.

I got my tickets last week... hope this is only 'delayed' regardless of how long...

It will be interesting to see how USA Wrestling and UWW handle qualifying. Back to square one or some sort of a hybrid.

i'm worried they're going to move trials to a bigger arena, given the sell out. though i wouldn't mind it at wells fargo center in philly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT