ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Update

IndyLion1

May 29, 2001
I don't have access to Flowrestling but Tom Ryan was on talking about a host of things. Here is a summary from Bucknut message board. I'd be interested to know if Tom Ryan really said PSU or was it generic and the poster just assumed he was taking about PSU.

A summary to those that can’t watch-
-Coach gave his views on life and wrestling
-Talked about the year in review with injuries and the teams efforts at nationals
-The possible lineup for next year just saying guys know who’s in there weight and they will settle it on the mat with the exception of the middle of the lineup revolving around if Sasso stays at 149 or goes 157 and that directing impacts Mendez redshirting or not and if Paddy needs to move up and wrestle off Hepner at 165.. just my opinion is I think he stays at 149 and Mendez redshirts -Took an indirect dig at Penn St and others like Iowa saying there is definitely cheating in the portal with illegal contact of kids and money offered but catching and proving it isn’t the best use of his time and resources.. Basically control what you can control and prepare your kids/team
-The rule changes.. He’s not a fan without a trial period and doesn’t like the referee discretion of stalling especially if a guy is working on top or not saying refs like some teams over others and make calls based on that
-Talked about who we have wrestling this weekend and goals for kids in the offseason
-That’s about what I remember but I’m sure I’m forgetting some things

-oh ya also said 133 was a tough cut for Mendez so he is definitely going up to 141 and it sounds like that is regardless of anything else

-The rule changes.. He’s not a fan without a trial period and doesn’t like the referee discretion of stalling especially if a guy is working on top or not saying refs like some teams over others and make calls based on that
He's not entirely wrong about this. It's stupid that wrestling won't use exhibitions/offseason events to gather data on potential rule changes prior to implementation.

Definitely could happen at the All-Star Classic. And many could be tested at Super 32 even though that's HS kids.

That said, I disbelieve him -- either he's being disingenuous and doesn't want the rule changes at all, or he hasn't thought thru how the testing would occur.

Here's the video for any subscribers.

NIL/Portal talk starts at 19 min in. Definitely doesn't mention PSU by name, and frankly, not clear to me that's his implication either. That's just lazy fan bias interceding.

That poster - DarDar - posts over here under another name I believe and is pretty even handed usually.

My first thought was that it was DeGaz who delights in our (rare) failures. When our recruits end up turning the tables, he’s generally chastened for a bit, but he’s back at it basking in recent losses by Luke and Sealey. A very funny exchange had him thinking Luke was forgoing cadets because he was licking his wounds from multiple recent losses - then a guy informed him that Luke had aged out instead.

That poster - DarDar - posts over here under another name I believe and is pretty even handed usually.

My first thought was that it was DeGaz who delights in our (rare) failures. When our recruits end up turning the tables, he’s generally chastened for a bit, but he’s back at it basking in recent losses by Luke and Sealey. A very funny exchange had him thinking Luke was forgoing cadets because he was licking his wounds from multiple recent losses - then a guy informed him that Luke had aged out instead.
@Dar.of.Emur Perhaps? I agree, pretty reasonable generally, and glad he posts here, but if he interpreted that as PSU, then his bias is showing. Tom did not say, nor imply that at all.

For everyone's benefit: it's on the 247 Bucknuts wrestling board.

Accidentally best thread over there is the one titled Iowa backing up the Brinks truck for Truax. Because comments on it ended before Truax announced to PSU, as if that never happened.

I don't have access to Flowrestling but Tom Ryan was on talking about a host of things. Here is a summary from Bucknut message board. I'd be interested to know if Tom Ryan really said PSU or was it generic and the poster just assumed he was taking about PSU.

A summary to those that can’t watch-
-Coach gave his views on life and wrestling
-Talked about the year in review with injuries and the teams efforts at nationals
-The possible lineup for next year just saying guys know who’s in there weight and they will settle it on the mat with the exception of the middle of the lineup revolving around if Sasso stays at 149 or goes 157 and that directing impacts Mendez redshirting or not and if Paddy needs to move up and wrestle off Hepner at 165.. just my opinion is I think he stays at 149 and Mendez redshirts -Took an indirect dig at Penn St and others like Iowa saying there is definitely cheating in the portal with illegal contact of kids and money offered but catching and proving it isn’t the best use of his time and resources.. Basically control what you can control and prepare your kids/team
-Talked about who we have wrestling this weekend and goals for kids in the offseason
-That’s about what I remember but I’m sure I’m forgetting some things

-oh ya also said 133 was a tough cut for Mendez so he is definitely going up to 141 and it sounds like that is regardless of anything else
Assume Bouzakis at 133 next year?

Yes for Bouzakis at 133. Hopefully Jesse transitions well into 141 after a RS (or, at least that is my assumption). While you all have tons to be proud of and there is a reason why so many top wrestlers want to be at Penn State (hell, if I was in their shoes I’d be looking at Happy Valley too), my Scarlett colored glasses still think there is hope to make things interesting (not this year obviously) but during 24-25 and 25-26. There is a lot of talent to work with in Columbus these next few years.

Yes for Bouzakis at 133. Hopefully Jesse transitions well into 141 after a RS (or, at least that is my assumption). While you all have tons to be proud of and there is a reason why so many top wrestlers want to be at Penn State (hell, if I was in their shoes I’d be looking at Happy Valley too), my Scarlett colored glasses still think there is hope to make things interesting (not this year obviously) but during 24-25 and 25-26. There is a lot of talent to work with in Columbus these next few years.
I would guess the lineup for OHST next year is something like
125: Vinny
133:BOuzakis
141: D'emilio/ Mendez RS
149:Sasso
157: Paddy
165:Hepner
174:Kharcala/Welsh RS
184: Shumate
197:Hoffman
285:Feldman
If Sasso moves up im guessing
Mendez 41
D'emilio 49
Sasso 57
Paddy/Hepner 65

Reactions: hlstone and Ohio2NC
I hope you guys step it back up. With Iowa lingering 55 behind they shouldn't be picking up a second place. You all need to butt in front of the Hawks. I like it better when they think they have a shot only to find out they are struggling to get a trophy.

I have zero respect for people who claim others are cheating and then offer no proof. Why plant the seeds of doubt and then not deliver? Does he think people are stupid? The fact is that if somebody tampered with one of his top guys and he knew about it he'd have come forward with it. It's sour grapes because he knows he's going to lose big.

Tom Ryan was alluding to a few underhanded moves a certain team in Iowa City is pulling. Rumors of Larry Lee, the slum lord,Adam Fellers, and a few others contacting guys on active rosters and offering money to switch teams. They were after Bouzakis and probably really rubbed Tom the wrong way. It worked to get Chittum to switch from Minnesota,

He's not entirely wrong about this. It's stupid that wrestling won't use exhibitions/offseason events to gather data on potential rule changes prior to implementation.

Definitely could happen at the All-Star Classic. And many could be tested at Super 32 even though that's HS kids.

That said, I disbelieve him -- either he's being disingenuous and doesn't want the rule changes at all, or he hasn't thought thru how the testing would occur.
Indeed. It's INCREDIBLY stupid.

Here's a blurry video of my childhood hero Dale Earnhardt complaining after NASCAR did something similar once - a massive rules change with no trial period or discussion. They changed things back after he complained. We'll see if a legend like Cael has to act as Earnhardt did.

@Dar.of.Emur Perhaps? I agree, pretty reasonable generally, and glad he posts here, but if he interpreted that as PSU, then his bias is showing. Tom did not say, nor imply that at all.
Not me
Two different people with similar usernames.

I have been Dar.of.emur for 20 years on various forums (Beastmaster was my favorite movie growing up.. Dar is the main guy and he was raised in a small village called Emur.....if anyone cared to know)

About a year ago, DarDar1171 started posting there (Bucknuts / 247)
Seems like a good guy and seems to have connections with St Eds guys.

But, as above, two different people.

Not me
Two different people with similar usernames.

I have been Dar.of.emur for 20 years on various forums (Beastmaster was my favorite movie growing up.. Dar is the main guy and he was raised in a small village called Emur.....if anyone cared to know)

About a year ago, DarDar1171 started posting there (Bucknuts / 247)
Seems like a good guy and seems to have connections with St Eds guys.

But, as above, two different people.
Beastmaster co-starring the legendary Tanya Roberts:

images

As per Mendez and Bouzakis...
Plan was for one to go this past year, and one to redshirt.
It worked out well, as Jesse was both the guy that has more growth potential (weight wise) and also was jonesing to go this year (per Tom in an interview, maybe on Flo) and Nick was ok with RSing.
So, Jesse went this past year. Then (plan) will RS next year while he gets bigger and gets accustomed to the new weight.
Jesse also said in an interview (cant recall which) that his '24 freestyle plan is to compete at 65 kg at Olympic trials. So, getting his body to 65 kg for FS correlates well with getting his body to 141 for Folkstyle.

A future 125 / 133/ 141 of Davino - Bouzakis - Mendez sounds really good and very competitive nationally.

Yeah the main question lineup wise next year I believe will be who goes 184 next year.

DarDar, who is close to the Ed’s kids, says there is a 0% chance Geog ever goes back down from 197, so he’s eliminated from consideration.

Will be interesting to see however if Hoffman decides to come back and use his extra Covid year, as he’s extremely tight with Sasso and I believe they are roommates even.

Hoffman/Geog wrestle off would have a ton of attention on that one.

Seth Shumate is the most logical choice of someone who fits the weight and in the second year of the program.

Many have speculated incoming freshman Ryder Rogotzke, but most believe although an exciting guy coming in, he’s too green and would greatly benefit from a redshirt year.

Same goes with Rocco Welsh… we think he’s our 174 of the future and regardless he too will also redshirt next year.

So Seth Shumate is the confusing piece.

He at one time was a top kid in the country in his class and his prospect status dimmed by the time he signed, but was kept in the class.

We hear Ohio State is still high on Shumate, but the late recruitment and signing of Rogotzke doesn’t really corroborate that theory.

So knowing he wouldn’t be ready (Rogotzke), a 1 year 184 portal stop gap would have made a ton of sense, but now since they didn’t go that direction….it appears Shumate will get the first shot at ‘84.

Tentatively I have next year (barring some late portal addition for a 125) as:

125: Vinny Kilkeary
133: Nic Bouzakis
141: Dylan Demilio
149: Sammy Sasso
157: Paddy Gallagher
165: Bryce Hepner
174: Carson Kharchla
184: Seth Shumate
197: Luke Geog
HWY: Nick Feldman

If Feldman isn’t fully recovered from his neck injury or surgery, Hoffman could bump back up to HWY and Geog go ‘97. Mendez appears to be 100% redshirting and trying to go the Zain Retherford 2nd year bumping up a weight redshirt route.

A 125 portal guy like Northwestern’s DeAugustino just makes way too much sense also with this lineup instead of throwing the first year freshman Kilkeary right into the fray.

Tom Ryan just said this past week Andre Gonzalez is no longer an option at 125, and will be at 133.

Yeah the main question lineup wise next year I believe will be who goes 184 next year.

DarDar, who is close to the Ed’s kids, says there is a 0% chance Geog ever goes back down from 197, so he’s eliminated from consideration.

Will be interesting to see however if Hoffman decides to come back and use his extra Covid year, as he’s extremely tight with Sasso and I believe they are roommates even.

Hoffman/Geog wrestle off would have a ton of attention on that one.

Seth Shumate is the most logical choice of someone who fits the weight and in the second year of the program.

Many have speculated incoming freshman Ryder Rogotzke, but most believe although an exciting guy coming in, he’s too green and would greatly benefit from a redshirt year.

Same goes with Rocco Welsh… we think he’s our 174 of the future and regardless he too will also redshirt next year.

So Seth Shumate is the confusing piece.

He at one time was a top kid in the country in his class and his prospect status dimmed by the time he signed, but was kept in the class.

We hear Ohio State is still high on Shumate, but the late recruitment and signing of Rogotzke doesn’t really corroborate that theory.

So knowing he wouldn’t be ready (Rogotzke), a 1 year 184 portal stop gap would have made a ton of sense, but now since they didn’t go that direction….it appears Shumate will get the first shot at ‘84.

Tentatively I have next year (barring some late portal addition for a 125) as:

125: Vinny Kilkeary
133: Nic Bouzakis
141: Dylan Demilio
149: Sammy Sasso
157: Paddy Gallagher
165: Bryce Hepner
174: Carson Kharchla
184: Seth Shumate
197: Luke Geog
HWY: Nick Feldman

If Feldman isn’t fully recovered from his neck injury or surgery, Hoffman could bump back up to HWY and Geog go ‘97. Mendez appears to be 100% redshirting and trying to go the Zain Retherford 2nd year bumping up a weight redshirt route.

A 125 portal guy like Northwestern’s DeAugustino just makes way too much sense also with this lineup instead of throwing the first year freshman Kilkeary right into the fray.

Tom Ryan just said this past week Andre Gonzalez is no longer an option at 125, and will be at 133.
Outstanding preview and agree about 125… no way Kilkeary is ready for the rigors of the B1G. He’d get Steened! Otherwise that’s a nice and exciting lineup for the Bucks. Expect to see them at BJC in early 2024.

Reactions: BFosr1
Outstanding preview and agree about 125… no way Kilkeary is ready for the rigors of the B1G. He’d get Steened! Otherwise that’s a nice and exciting lineup for the Bucks. Expect to see them at BJC in early 2024.
I wouldnt be surprised to see Vinny go next year. Two reasons.
- first, we dont have a national qualifier level guy there otherwise. As mentioned above, Tom said Andre Gonzolez has outgrown 125 and will competing at 133. The other option is Brendon McCrone, who is very good on top, but not quite there from neutral position. Vinny has a much higher ceiling than Brendon.
- second.. with Davino coming in the following year, and planning on 125, it would be wise to let Vinny use a year (unopposed by Davino) and see what he has, get some ncaa experience, AND provide future flexibility of a redshirt year WHILE Davino is here... as Davino may outgrow 125, and Vinny could then step right back into the weight. I expect Vinny to be a career 125.

Reactions: hlstone
I wouldnt be surprised to see Vinny go next year. Two reasons.
- first, we dont have a national qualifier level guy there otherwise. As mentioned above, Tom said Andre Gonzolez has outgrown 125 and will competing at 133. The other option is Brendon McCrone, who is very good on top, but not quite there from neutral position. Vinny has a much higher ceiling than Brendon.
- second.. with Davino coming in the following year, and planning on 125, it would be wise to let Vinny use a year (unopposed by Davino) and see what he has, get some ncaa experience, AND provide future flexibility of a redshirt year WHILE Davino is here... as Davino may outgrow 125, and Vinny could then step right back into the weight. I expect Vinny to be a career 125.
What is the thought on Davino and 125? How long do you expect him to be there?

Reactions: Phoenix lion
Cenzo said it perfectly after the Woods transfer, unless someone openly puts it in writing of some kind, it’s impossible to prove. Even then you can’t do anything to a program if it’s done through a proxy (example boosters) As long as a coach has plausible deniability, no harm no foul. It’s too bad Spencer didn’t have his iPhone handy when Cael cornered him though. Really could have gotten Cael.

Cenzo said it perfectly after the Woods transfer, unless someone openly puts it in writing of some kind, it’s impossible to prove. Even then you can’t do anything to a program if it’s done through a proxy (example boosters) As long as a coach has plausible deniability, no harm no foul. It’s too bad Spencer didn’t have his iPhone handy when Cael cornered him though. Really could have gotten Cael.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT