ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa 2020 Game Thread

How did we get this bad? I just do not understand this !! We have a roster of many 4 star recruits and some freak athletes that most teams in the Big Ten would be envious of. With the exception of Ohio State (maybe Michigan, maybe) we have recruited better than anybody else in the Big Ten. Yet we are the cellar team of the Big Ten. The worst team in the Big Ten. !!!! Covid or not there is no excuse for this.
Exactly...obviously all the pre-season experts thought we would be good...very good...really no excuses...time for a change...actually it should be first thing tomorrow morning.

I don’t see freak athletes other than oweh. His football instincts are nonexistent.
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He reminds me of Jack Crawford, another guy people were doing headstands over when he signed.

How did we get this bad? I just do not understand this !! We have a roster of many 4 star recruits and some freak athletes that most teams in the Big Ten would be envious of. With the exception of Ohio State (maybe Michigan, maybe) we have recruited better than anybody else in the Big Ten. Yet we are the cellar team of the Big Ten. The worst team in the Big Ten. !!!! Covid or not there is no excuse for this.
Apparently we got this bad because Franklin misses his family and we should give him a mulligan on the year.

26 was chasing him and didn’t seem to make up any ground. Not good for a running back.
The team is discouraged and seems to give up until something good happens. Then something bad happens and they feel defeated again. It's contagious.

Lee ran hard at the end. Jacob's showed energy for a while. Strange & Johnson give us some hope at TE.
I'd like to see Lambert Smith at WR because we need help there. But overall not much to feel good about.

Reactions: PSUfiji
If you break down a football team and really look at it —- the coaching, the attitude and effort of the players, how each of the components are doing relative to the other, one could say that there is absolutely not one positive element to this team. They are bad from the top to the bottom and getting worse. The defense is soft, has no instinct, can’t hold an edge, can’t blitz, can’t cover crossing any patterns, can’t get off the field. The offensive line gets blown off the ball. The QBs have no pocket presence. No deep passes. No speed. Ugh.

Can't develop the talent that he does recruit. Also has no grasp for game situations. How has the offensive line been consistently bad every year that he's been the head coach and how many OL coaches have there been? Why are there highly-touted players running around the secondary who have no idea how to break on the ball or cover anybody? Why is the head coach standing there with his headset and not doing ANY sort of motivation/coaching up/chewing out? All he does is just stand there. If we wanted a cardboard cutout for a coach, I'm sure we could have gotten a Stand-Up Joe from McClanahan's.

Can't develop the talent that he does recruit. Also has no grasp for game situations. How has the offensive line been consistently bad every year that he's been the head coach and how many OL coaches have there been? Why are there highly-touted players running around the secondary who have no idea how to break on the ball or cover anybody? Why is the head coach standing there with his headset and not doing ANY sort of motivation/coaching up/chewing out? All he does is just stand there. If we wanted a cardboard cutout for a coach, I'm sure we could have gotten a Stand-Up Joe from McClanahan's.
The only thing I can say in the OLs defense is that the playcalling is very predictable. We don't do much to keep the defenders off balance so they just go on attack mode. The lack of playmakers doesn't help either.

I've seen enough of Clifford. That last screen pass to their DT was reminiscent of Hack, and that's not a good thing. The OL play has been sub-par, but you just can't lay it all on the OL. Clifford should be relegated to the bench for the rest of the season.

Let's be honest. Franklin and the coaching staff were always bailed out by certain athletes, and by bailed out i mean their short comings as coaches. Trace as the quarterback was mobile enough and had Saquon and Hamilton, who caught alot of 50/50 passes and thr defense had enough juice to pull through the games they should of and a surprise here and there and now you have no quarterback or at least one that can't sugar coat the shit show that is the offensive line. You loose Parsons, Brown and all of a sudden your in a tail spin. This staff has lost games do to coaching and now there is no safety net to catch the free fall

Seruously , down by 2 scores and you need a quick score with time running out and no TO left and he throws a 4 yard pass that does no good if its even caught. Then with the interception there was no effort to even tackle the guy, I have no words at all. Also brilliant comment by Millen when he says we don't have the athletes to run the offense we run, namely the quarterback. Oline is terrible , 5 sacks, 4 turnovers, Clifford comes in 2 straight passes and here we go again.
From what I've seen the oline has regressed the most. Ok, it's a new offense but they have shown very little improvement over a series of games.

Reactions: Paguy35
I got the basement couch

All yours - just watch out for this dude...

tenor.gif

I have to think there is something big going on within the coaching staff, and that includes Franklin. Whatever it is, it is still pretty much under wraps. The amount of turnover that has been going on is a bad sign.

I expect Franklin will be on the sidelines in 2021, even after going 0 - 9 and getting drubbed by lower tier programs. Unless there is something akin to a Pat Chambers situation brewing. I don’t think PSU is prepared now to go out and find a new coach after the season. Nor are they financially able to buy Franklin out at this time.

After 2021, it will be a different story. People are not going to continue to buy tickets and pay NLC memberships to support an ongoing embarrassment. The excuses will be exhausted at that point and there will be a serious need to rebuild the program in order to fund the other sports.

Reactions: canuckhal
Let's be honest. Franklin and the coaching staff were always bailed out by certain athletes, and by bailed out i mean their short comings as coaches. Trace as the quarterback was mobile enough and had Saquon and Hamilton, who caught alot of 50/50 passes and thr defense had enough juice to pull through the games they should of and a surprise here and there and now you have no quarterback or at least one that can't sugar coat the shit show that is the offensive line. You loose Parsons, Brown and all of a sudden your in a tail spin. This staff has lost games do to coaching and now there is no safety net to catch the free fall
Also a solid TE Gesicki and a clutch WR Blanknall. In the B10 championship game both guys made some terrific catches.

Reactions: Grass and Paguy35
What’s so really really sad is Franklin’s like a zombie on the sideline with no apparent interest or enthusiasm FOR THE ENTIRE SIXTY MINUTES OF EVERY GAME.

WE WERE PENN STATE.....

Reactions: fkkkjm
Since we’re in this burning capsule is it time to call Houston yet and tell them that we have a problem.

I'm sorry but I'm getting off the Franklin train next stop. You can't recruit this well and be this bad.

Seruously , down by 2 scores and you need a quick score with time running out and no TO left and he throws a 4 yard pass that does no good if its even caught. Then with the interception there was no effort to even tackle the guy, I have no words at all. Also brilliant comment by Millen when he says we don't have the athletes to run the offense we run, namely the quarterback. Oline is terrible , 5 sacks, 4 turnovers, Clifford comes in 2 straight passes and here we go again.
We have been saying this for awhile. Clifford is not the guy. I hope he is getting a quality education because he is going to need it like many on this team.

Reactions: Paguy35
Cincy RB takes knee at 2 yard line. Coaching coaching coaching

That was terrible. You score, you go up at least 9. UCF isn't getting that back even with their blur offense. But then, they end up giving the ball back to UCF because of a bad snap that could have gone back for a TD had the QB not jumped on it quick. I really like Fickell and what he's done with that Cincy program. But that was a bad look.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
If you break down a football team and really look at it —- the coaching, the attitude and effort of the players, how each of the components are doing relative to the other, one could say that there is absolutely not one positive element to this team. They are bad from the top to the bottom and getting worse. The defense is soft, has no instinct, can’t hold an edge, can’t blitz, can’t cover crossing any patterns, can’t get off the field. The offensive line gets blown off the ball. The QBs have no pocket presence. No deep passes. No speed. Ugh.
[/QUOTe
Our lineman are BIG Soft Ass _____________ ! You fill in the blank. I refer to these types as BFN's "Big for Nothing's" and that's what we have. Surprised they got so big after years of getting their lunch box taken.

Now that James has worked out the social issues, maybe he can get the guys together have them understand that PSFM Penn State Football Matters. Damnnnn

Reactions: NoBareFeet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT