ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Georgia St. Game Thread

You want to prevent a shutout? Don't let the other team get into FG position.
Or ice the FG kicker to make him miss....that's what you do. Maybe Franklin should have had his defense take a knee so Ga State could run it in for a TD.

You want to prevent a shutout? Don't let the other team get into FG position.

Got it. So we can employ certain strategies to prevent the shutout but not others? Perhaps you should explain what we can and can't do so I can better understand.

I like Franklin but it's two weeks in a row now that he reveals by his actions what's important to him and it all seems kind of juvenile.

He made those silly comments about Pitt's equivalence with Akron. That made it seem like the Pitt game meant more to him than he was willing to admit.

Now he makes it clear that a shutout over Ga State means so much to him that he's willing to call a time out to ice the kicker. As much as I also wanted to see the shutout it would have been funny if the Ga State kicker had made it on his second try.

Or ice the FG kicker to make him miss....that's what you do. Maybe Franklin should have had his defense take a knee so Ga State could run it in for a TD.

Yep. These jerks would be griping if Franklin had brought the starters back in to keep GSU from getting close. That's what jerks do...gripe and complain.

You are clearly missing the point.

Maybe it's because you don't have a point. You would have complained had Franklin kept the starters in to keep the shutout and you're complaining because he iced the kicker. You're a complainer.

Reactions: Pride
A lot of pu$$ies on this board. We don't win by enough, it Franklin's fault. We win by too much, it's Franklin's fault. The defense wanted the shut out....any coach worth his salt will do what he can to help his defense get that.

Yep. These jerks would be griping if Franklin had brought the starters back in to keep GSU from getting close. That's what jerks do...gripe and complain.

Yes - I would have complained about THAT too. That's needlessly risking injury.

Seems that CJF has done stuff like that before too, of course. Barkley playing in the last 2 minutes of the 2015 Ohio State game when we were down 4 scores. That was blatant coaching malpractice.

CJF has his positives and negatives. Tonight's last-second timeout is a negative.

This is the RPO offense. Who cares? We have 49 pts and 7 different players have scored. If an NFL team did this week in and week out they would be lauded.
Franklin would disagree. You have to run the ball regardless of the offensive scheme. 56 points and eight different players now. This was GA ST. Things are gonna get different starting next week. You have to run the ball to win in the B1G. I'll get back to you in late November.:)

Seems that CJF has done stuff like that before too, of course. Barkley playing in the last 2 minutes of the 2015 Ohio State game when we were down 4 scores. That was coaching malpractice.

CJF has his good points and his bad points. Tonight's last-second move is s bad point.
I thought it was a good point....it's all about perception.

I like Franklin but it's two weeks in a row now that he reveals by his actions what's important to him and it all seems kind of juvenile.

He made those silly comments about Pitt's equivalence with Akron. That made it seem like the Pitt game meant more to him than he was willing to admit.

Now he makes it clear that a shutout over Ga State means so much to him that he's willing to call a time out to ice the kicker. As much as I also wanted to see the shutout it would have been funny if the Ga State kicker had made it on his second try.

If only PSU had a coach that always praised the other team, that always took a knee instead of punching in that extra touchdown, then everyone would love us. Now people aren't going to like us. What ever will we do?

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I really didn't get why Franklin was shaking his head in disgust over the FG attempt. Franklin went to the 3rd string offense up 56-0 with 7 minutes left - at that point it seemed like he was basically done with the scoreboard game. Also it was 4th down. It was perfectly reasonable for GSU to attempt a FG

Maybe it's because you don't have a point. You would have complained had Franklin kept the starters in to keep the shutout and you're complaining because he iced the kicker. You're a complainer.
Yawn. Another 'tough guy' for the ignore list.

Are you a fan of a FG attempt down 56-0 with 10 seconds left? Sorry, but that's baloney. I guess I get it, they didn't want to get shutout. Well, Franklin wanted his team to have a shutout. So they did what they had to do, we did what we had to do.
Until there is a true playoff structure without human input, I'm all for it. Run it up.

Reactions: okinburg1

Seems that CJF has done stuff like that before too, of course. Barkley playing in the last 2 minutes of the 2015 Ohio State game when we were down 4 scores. That was blatant coaching malpractice.

CJF has his positives and negatives. Tonight's last-second timeout is a negative.

As long as you don't like it, he must be doing it right. You've been 100% wrong about Franklin so keep up your perfect record.

:rolleyes: My favorite part of this whiner troll post is how it is started..."I like Franklin but...".o_O:eek::(:confused::rolleyes:

Perception? How possibly would have perception changed had we won 56-3 (or 56-7) instead of 56-0?
Perception of his move, not the score. I thought it was great that he was trying to help the D keep their shut out. The defensive players will appreciate it.

Reactions: okinburg1
I don't understand why kicking A FG SOLELY to prevent the shutout is ok. Baloney.

And I can't imagine how much you would have been crying if Franklin had left the starters in. "Whhaahhhhhh! He's being mean by leaving in the starters. Whaaahhhhhh!! Stop being such a her James. Whaaaahhhhh!" Grow up. This is big boy football.

Who concerns themselves with a shut out that much and then puts in obviously inferior personnel? You're right, I would have been furious if Franklin left starters in, but that's because while a shut out is nice, its really pretty irrelevant. Seriously, who cares whether its 56-3 or 56-0?

As long as you don't like it, he must be doing it right. You've been 100% wrong about Franklin so keep up your perfect record.

Bull kaka. I was very complimentary of CJF last year, how the team kept a great attitude even after the 2-2 start.

I really didn't get why Franklin was shaking his head in disgust over the FG attempt. Franklin went to the 3rd string offense up 56-0 with 7 minutes left - at that point it seemed like he was basically done with the scoreboard game. Also it was 4th down. It was perfectly reasonable for GSU to attempt a FG

Because they kicked the FG for the sole purpose of being able to say they weren't shut out. No other purpose. It's cheap. I'm glad Franklin did it. Wished he would have put Stevens in on the last play to heave one deep. Enough of this crap.

If only PSU had a coach that always praised the other team, that always took a knee instead of punching in that extra touchdown, then everyone would love us. Now people aren't going to like us. What ever will we do?
Don't really care if they like us or not but that's the right way to do things. It's really easy to do things creepy ways like everyone else.

Perception? How possibly would perception have changed had we won 56-3 (or 56-7) instead of 56-0?

It wouldn't. This is not going to matter in December. What might matter is that we had a super-easy OOC schedule.

Franklin needs to be thinking about Iowa; that icing of the kicker was pointless.

Because they kicked the FG for the sole purpose of being able to say they weren't shut out. No other purpose. It's cheap. I'm glad Franklin did it. Wished he would have put Stevens in on the last play to heave one deep. Enough of this crap.

Again --- CJF did the SAME DAMN THING last year!

Which actually turned out fine --- the team didn't quit on him and had a very good last 10 games of the season.

But, yeah ...... now CJF is the "field goal police" and has issues w/ other guys doing what he did himself (to positive effect).

Who concerns themselves with a shut out that much and then puts in obviously inferior personnel? You're right, I would have been furious if Franklin left starters in, but that's because while a shut out is nice, its really pretty irrelevant. Seriously, who cares whether its 56-3 or 56-0?

C'mon, shut outs are a big deal for defenses. Heck for the whole team. You're minimizing the importance of shut outs IMHO. I think Franklin knows this and wanted to give his team a chance to post a shut out.

Which actually turned out fine --- the team didn't quit on him and had a very good last 10 games of the season.

But, yeah ...... now CJF is the "field goal police" and has issues w/ other guys doing what he did himself (to positive effect).

Last time I'm replying to your false equivalency. It was the 3rd freaking quarter against Michigan. Plus, we scored a TD so the FG obviously didn't prevent the shutout. You are intentionally equating the 2 and they are not the same.

It wouldn't. This is not going to matter in December. What might matter is that we had a super-easy OOC schedule.

Franklin needs to be thinking about Iowa; that icing of the kicker was pointless.

No it wasn't. It ticked off hand wringers like you so that's a real benefit, watching all the faux outrage.

My only possible defense for Franklin is he may have noticed that #6 Washington is, apparently, on pace to score about 100 vs. Fresno St. and probably will do it if they can.

How in God's name would icing the kicker take away from his thinking about Iowa? He has plenty of time to think about Iowa.

Perhaps one day, this goes into the same type of lore stories like McQueary's audible to a bomb in garbage time.

If it motivates our players, I'm all for it. Remember: time outs, if you don't use em, ya lose em.

C'mon, shut outs are a big deal for defenses. Heck for the whole team. You're minimizing the importance of shut outs IMHO. I think Franklin knows this and wanted to give his team a chance to post a shut out.
I guess if a pitcher has a perfect game with a 10-0 lead he should intentionally walk a guy so as to make the other team feel good.

Last time I'm replying to your false equivalency. It was the 3rd freaking quarter against Michigan. Plus, we scored a TD so the FG obviously didn't prevent the shutout. You are intentionally equating the 2 and they are not the same.

Fine. Stick to your narrative. But most folk know exactly what Franklin was doing with that field goal (remember, he called timeout before the field goal too!) last year. It wasn't an attempt to win the game.

3 looks better than 0.

My only possible defense for Franklin is he may have noticed that #6 Washington is, apparently, on pace to score about 100 vs. Fresno St. and probably will do it if they can.
Margin of victory means nothing, this was about keeping a zero on the visiting score column. Time will tell whether this was a meaningful lesson/motivation tool, or if it's just a petty act of vanity. Joe wouldn't have done it, but Joe isn't coaching this team.

Margin of victory means nothing, this was about keeping a zero on the visiting score column. Time will tell whether this was a meaningful lesson/motivation tool, or if it's just a petty act of vanity. Joe wouldn't have done it, but Joe isn't coaching this team.
Maybe that's why Joe only won two NC's in 47 years.

Actually he said he had the wrong unit on the field and they weren't lined up correctly. His words.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT