ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Buffalo Game Thread

Not going to read all the previous 25 pages of this thread, so if this has been said by someone else I apologize.

This game looked like PSU expected Buffalo to roll over and play dead in the 1st half. Completely uninspired in almost all respects, Buffalo came to play and our coaches were substituting from the beginning like we were up by 30 when the game started.

Nice adjustments at half and the 2nd half played out like most everyone thought the entire game would.

Not overly concerned - we'll see what happens next week against Pitt.

Not going to read all the previous 25 pages of this thread, so if this has been said by someone else I apologize.

This game looked like PSU expected Buffalo to roll over and play dead in the 1st half. Completely uninspired in almost all respects, Buffalo came to play and our coaches were substituting from the beginning like we were up by 30 when the game started.

Nice adjustments at half and the 2nd half played out like most everyone thought the entire game would.

I’m thinking Buffalo is better than Pitt and we won this one by 32...so pretty easy to see what happens against Pitt.

Reactions: Fibes

I noticed the bulk substitutions as well from the outset, espec on D. It definitely wasn’t working. A lot to massively improve before we play a real team

Buffalo wasn’t a patsy last year, so hopefully this is a game that will look better at the end of the year. At least the team got smacked in the mouth and hopefully woken up early in the season.

No apologies. You said during the draft that CBs can't tackle. You gonna stick to your statement or wuss out again??
That’s a heck off a lot different than pointing out two specific PSU players as you said I did
You need to get out of the basement more

I don't really get all of the bitching about the OL. I just rewatched the game and focused on the LOS. Our OL was very good in pass protection and not bad at all at opening holes for runners. The real issue with the offense was the play calling, and some really slow developing plays. Don't know how much of this is Rahne and how much is Clifford's decision making.

The defensive line, on the other hand, was very weak at containing runs that bounced outside, i.e. the DEs lost containment. And the DTs got a decent push when Mustipher and Shelton were in, but the LBs could not fill the right gaps. Shaka Toney is a liability. Looks like a WR. Getting pushed around and never gets to QB.

Also, there were a lot a broken coverages by the LBs and safeties.

Reactions: GregInPitt
They are treating their first three games as exhibition games to find out who needs to play the most. Idaho was a scrimmage. Buffalo was their first game. Franklin has got to settle on 11 guys on Offense and 11 guys on Defense. These are the guys who play the majority of the game. This crap about 4 RB’s, 3 OT’s, and 3 interior OL’s is crap. You have one’s and you have two’s. Go with your best. Same on D. Go with the best players. That better be sorted out by the end of September or it could be 4 loss season, at best.

Buffalo wasn’t a patsy last year, so hopefully this is a game that will look better at the end of the year. At least the team got smacked in the mouth and hopefully woken up early in the season.
They’re better than FAU and Ohio State didn’t beat them as bad as we beat Buffalo. I guess OSU fans should be in meltdown mode.

I’m thinking Buffalo is better than Pitt and we won this one by 32...so pretty easy to see what happens against Pitt.
I watched the second half of the Pitt game yesterday, and I agree. Ohio only lost by 10, and their QB was playing with the flu. Poor kid looked like an extra from Walking Dead.

I mean, are we 'Florida State' bad? As in, the formation below and almost losing to Louisiana-Monroe tonight?

ED6CCAHXsAExBzi

That's hilarious!! Maybe the sun was in his eyes. :(

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
They’re better than FAU and Ohio State didn’t beat them as bad as we beat Buffalo. I guess OSU fans should be in meltdown mode.
I think you have to go beyond comparing scores. At no time was OSU being statistically dominated as we were in this game. They were pretty much in control the entire game. In any case, it's hard to draw much from these two games.

I feel PSU hasn't allowed the running game a chance to develop so far...rb's need more carries...OL could get into a groove if u call more designed RB carries I think...add in the fact they r consistently rotating lineman and rb's with a QB who has played well but has struggled some with RPO decisions...bottom line too many moving parts (I know its early and this may pay off down the road) for a running game to flourish...maybe the running game will be below average to average but I can't give a grade yet...more of an incomplete so far...what do u guys think?

I feel PSU hasn't allowed the running game a chance to develop so far...rb's need more carries...OL could get into a groove if u call more designed RB carries I think...add in the fact they r consistently rotating lineman and rb's with a QB who has played well but has struggled some with RPO decisions...bottom line too many moving parts (I know its early and this may pay off down the road) for a running game to flourish...maybe the running game will be below average to average but I can't give a grade yet...more of an incomplete so far...what do u guys think?

I think Buffalo was keying on the run, so more runs (early in the game) made no sense. Where we failed was in the types of pass plays that we ran. We allowed Buffalo to crowd the line of scrimmage.

We needed to stretch the middle a bit first, then run once their defense learned that they can't get away with it. This wasn't about getting RBs into rhythm, though that is obviously a good thing.

In the "old days" I remember the concept of getting your offensive line into a run blocking rhythm, much like getting an RB into rhythm. We would often hear coaches say "we need to establish the run." That never seems to happen with this RPO offense. It is by design -- tentative.

The OL did not play well.

They played well enough that PSU O shoulda’ scored at least 1/2 a hundred on Saturday.... but they did not “play well”
Really? How do you conclude that? What specificly makes u say that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT