ADVERTISEMENT

Official Olympic Wrestling Match Thread and USA Wrestlers.

Am I the only one who was confused why Taylor was put on the clock? Maybe I am missing something as I am not "up" as much on the FS rules, but I thought Taylor took the only legitimate shots/ attacks in the 1st period.
Best practice is just ignore it that shit makes no sense and happens in almost every match with putting the aggressor on the clock. Stupid and not consistent at all

I wanted to make sure I gave a shoutout to Helen Maroulis. I am really proud of her. To come back from those devastating concussions and the subsequent PTSD says a lot about her character. She wrestled very well, and her only loss was to the now two-time gold medalist Risako Kawai from Japan, and even in that match her opponent's only points came from Helen being put on the shot clock twice. She has always represented the wrestling community and our country so well and as good a wrestler as she is and has been, she seems to be an even better person.
hqdefault.jpg

Common confusion. Passivity in freestyle has very little to do with committed attacks. It's about who is controlling center, coming forward, and maintaining contact. Yazdani controlled the center and DT was breaking contact to clear/stay out of the underhook. It was the right call.

I thought Yazdani wrestled a near perfect match and a very different one than I was expecting. Controlled the action and totally avoided extended flurries that gassed him previous matches. I don't think that was the kind of match DT wanted to wrestle. But in the end, DT had too much fire power! Scared my dog yelling when he got to that double to win it lol. That whole sequence was so pretty, from the set up to his footwork.
Yazdani with 2 passivity points and a push out -- that is a great match?

DT with 2 takedowns and more shots -- the deserving winner!

Common confusion. Passivity in freestyle has very little to do with committed attacks. It's about who is controlling center, coming forward, and maintaining contact. Yazdani controlled the center and DT was breaking contact to clear/stay out of the underhook. It was the right call.

I thought Yazdani wrestled a near perfect match and a very different one than I was expecting. Controlled the action and totally avoided extended flurries that gassed him previous matches. I don't think that was the kind of match DT wanted to wrestle. But in the end, DT had too much fire power! Scared my dog yelling when he got to that double to win it lol. That whole sequence was so pretty, from the set up to his footwork.
LOL HOW MANY SHOTS DID THE LOSER HAVE NONE??CONTROL OF CENTER IS PURE BULLSHIT AS IS PASSIVE ETC ETC ETC!! FREESTYLE JUST PLAIN SUCKS AND AS USUAL THE USA GETS SCREWED!

Yazdani with 2 passivity points and a push out -- that is a great match?

DT with 2 takedowns and more shots -- the deserving winner!
Lol yeah he had a better wrestler beat for 5 minutes and 45 seconds. He knew he couldn't win a scramble fest or a shoot out, so he tried to win with pushouts and positioning and nearly did it.

DT made it happen because he's better. He has better attacks, more attacks, is impossible to finish on, and a huge tank. The path to victory is incredibly narrow and Yazdani almost pulled it off, so props to him, but DT is that dude.

I had no problem with the passivity. Usually they will put each guy on it and being first is good.
The push out however is not called with consistency. Guys will drop down last second and avoid a point. Taylor instead gets a caution and 1 for it. Not entirely wrong, just not consistent at all.

Also, I got a little carried away with my top 6 comment earlier. Sorry, it was the excitement.

Reactions: LionsBrew
Any chance someone here can post a video of the end of Taylor's gold medal match?

As much as I am happy for Snyder, it is a shame when brackets are this skewed. Some great wrestlers will be going home without a medal primarily because of where they fell in the bracket. Intermat recently had an article on the Unbalanced Bracket that UWW has employed since 2005. The article was mentioned somewhere on this Forum recently, but I couldn't locate that original post. The conclusion of the author of the Intermat article was that the Unbalanced Bracket generally has not produced such skewed brackets like we see in Kyle's case. That conclusion aside, in this particular case the Unbalanced Bracket will definitely be affecting who goes home with a medal. I have attached the Intermat article for reference since I am in no way doing justice to the author's thorough research or his conclusions. The Unbalanced Bracket
Pretty sure that "unbalanced bracket" refers to having 8 wrestlers on the top side and 16 wrestlers on the bottom side. That is not the case in OLY which is a 16 man bracket with 8 on both sides.

Well this is no help to me as I cut my TV cable two years ago. YouTube TV is not listed.

Any chance of these matches getting posted to YouTube?
UWW or some foreign person typically posts to YouTube afterward.

At that time, you may need to use a VPN to hide your USA residency.

You may also need to ignore a bunch of Cyrillic on the screen.

LOL HOW MANY SHOTS DID THE LOSER HAVE NONE??CONTROL OF CENTER IS PURE BULLSHIT AS IS PASSIVE ETC ETC ETC!! FREESTYLE JUST PLAIN SUCKS AND AS USUAL THE USA GETS SCREWED!

Being put on the shot clock and passivity are two different penalties based on different actions. Passivity is generally called for repeatedly avoiding action by intentionally breaking contact or ties. If the defensive wrestler is in serious danger and avoids it by "breaking the contact" of the offensive wrestler - passivity can be called immediately. Didn't see match, but in this case it sounds like they called it on DT for repeatedly breaking and avoiding contact/ties (the ref probably warned him before calling it). In any event, in Freestyle you're not really permitted to do the boxer thing where you intentionally avoid the opponents tie attempts by pushing off and dancing backwards, side-to-side, etc... You're defensive alternative is to initiate your own attack forcing the opponent to alter his approach.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Pretty sure that "unbalanced bracket" refers to having 8 wrestlers on the top side and 16 wrestlers on the bottom side. That is not the case in OLY which is a 16 man bracket with 8 on both sides.
Thank you for the clarification between the two methods.

Is it my imagination (and it may well be), or does it seem like in the women's FS matches the officials allow the mat wrestling following a takedown to continue a little more than they do in the men's FS bouts?

Reactions: Dogwelder
What the hell.... pulling away from showing Gable midmatch!.
Yeah, I couldn't find any live TV coverage on the final.

**I'm confused now -- has the 125k final with Steveson been wrestled yet?

**update -- nerfstate has provided info below, and look forward to seeing Gable in finals

Last edited:
Just read all the post from page 15 when I fell asleep last night and now watching every match on YouTube tv right now! Love this sport GO USA!!!!

Well this is no help to me as I cut my TV cable two years ago. YouTube TV is not listed.

Any chance of these matches getting posted to YouTube?
You have to use the search function for some providers, including YouTube Tv.
As someone else stated, if you have YouTube tv why aren't you recording everything?

Yeah, I couldn't find any live TV coverage on the final.

I see on the Olympics site that he won 8-0?

Further details?
I'm not sure what you folks are talking about. Gable wrestled his semifinal against Mongolia this morning. The gold medal match should be tomorrow morning, right? Did I miss something? Dake should be up early in tonight's action at 10:30 EDT.

Reactions: nitlion6 and royboy
Does anyone have an estimated time for Steveson’s match tomorrow morning?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT