ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Wrestling Match Thread and USA Wrestlers.

So how’s it work for worlds. Do you have to just medal at the Olympics and then no one can wrestle your weight or do you have to make the finals? If it’s the former then our world trials could be only at 65kg.

I believe if you medal the spot is yours. I could be wrong, as I often am in life, so somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

Wow!! I may have to go see a cardiologist! What a match. The last six seconds scared me, though. At eight seconds you can hear Casey screaming, "Stay there! Stay there!", but David switched sides and Yazdani nearly trapped David's right elbow for an exposure. A sport of inches! I stayed up all night to see this and it was worth it!

ThornyOblongAndeancat-size_restricted.gif

Maroulis now up, wrestling for Bronze!

No score through one minute.

Snap down for a takedown, 2-0 Maroulis.

One minute to go in the first.

Another Maroulis takedown, now up 4-0.

End of 1.

Another takedown for Helen. She’s wrestling great!

2 minutes left.

Now 9-0 Maroulis, minute and a half to go.

And that takedown will finish it, 11-0. A challenge is upheld, back to 9-0.

And there’s the winning takedown…11-0!! Maroulis wins the BRONZE!

Congrats Helen, after all you’ve been through, what an awesome result.

Last edited:
Maroulis up now in the bronze medal match. Against Mongolia. Maroulis up 4-0 on two TDs. Just before the break

Reactions: diggerpup
What a great morning! Gilman medaling and Taylor with the GOLD! Helen looking good so far as well. When does Snyder wrestle? Don’t see 97kg listed?

Reactions: jschrantz
Great morning (evening) for USA wrestling:

Dake pulled back into repechage. Winchester pulled back into repechage. Amine gets a Bronze. Gilman wins Bronze. Maroulis wins Bronze. Steveson wins in the semis and gets to the gold medal match. And, above all, DT takes gold in dramatic fashion. What more could you want ... besides a celebratory cup of coffee ... or maybe something stronger?

All other schools are at a huge disadvantage when recruiting against Cael. Now they see not only will his collegiate program help them reach their dreams but now they wont have to go anywhere else when it's time to fulfill those World and Olympic dreams. And they laughed all of us of their board (HR) several years back when we told them Cael was beginning to take on the second step of his plan and that was to not only have the best college program but to have the best club.

Hate for everyone else (not really) but it's now so easy to see why kids wrestle for less and PSU doesnt have to dish out big to full scholarships to its athletes.

Btw, dont be afraid to give the NLWC credit when it comes to Gilman medaling here. This was a different Gilman we watched wrestle. Not sure I ever seen him wrestle quite like this before. He was confident and he didnt wrestle afraid to give up points or lose. Cael and staff can coach technique but to me even more impressive is the way he has his guys going after it.

Well at the end of the match
Taylor had scored 4 points
Yazdani scored 1 point
Olympic official scored 2 points, both awarded to Yazdani.
If you say so Skippy. I'm guessing that there are some Iranian fans claiming that their guy didn't lose, he just got caught. Philly 2011 style.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: lionlover
I believe if you medal the spot is yours. I could be wrong, as I often am in life, so somebody can correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you. I think I read on here that Dake got pulled back in? So if he gets Bronze and Snyder medals like he always does then 65 will be it.

Smh I forgot about the non olympic weights.

Anyone have video of the DT match?

Btw, dont be afraid to give the NLWC credit when it comes to Gilman medaling here. This was a different Gilman we watched wrestle. Not sure I ever seen him wrestle quite like this before. He was confident and he didnt wrestle afraid to give up points or lose. Cael and staff can coach technique but to me even more impressive is the way he has his guys going after it.
Gilman has had good results in freestyle since he left college. Iowa gets some credit aswell as the HWC and the NLWC. It's ok to admit that. I'm proud of him! So close to the gold medal match

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT