ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Wrestling Match Thread and USA Wrestlers.

@smalls103
giphy.gif
They hired a lady who wants to speak to the manager for $350 an hour.

Dude thinks Taylor is inferior to Yazdani bc he’s an Iowa homer and hates Penn State wrestling
Yeah, said Iowa fan is still hanging onto the 1st 5 minutes of their matches.

David is 3-0 after 6 minutes, whatever he needs he gets, end of discussion.
"DT made it happen because he's better. He has better attacks, more attacks, is impossible to finish on, and a huge tank. The path to victory is incredibly narrow and Yazdani almost pulled it off, so props to him, but DT is that dude."

yeah for sure guys lol weirdos

Someone posted on the forum a video of David Taylor working out as a Jr. High wrestler a while back and I thought I could not do that workout two days in a row.

David's been doing it for 20 + years straight and I'm willing to bet that Casey and Cael has tweaked it a bit since then.

A hell of a lot of sacrifice to get the earned privilege to get medal around your neck, a spot with a good view and a wonderful song of your country.

Kyle, your turn

Pulling my hair out trying to find the post-match interviews of David, Thomas and Helen. Anybody have a link?

Pulling my hair out trying to find the post-match interviews of David, Thomas and Helen. Anybody have a link?
I've heard DTs was on the normal olympic channel coverage this morning, if you have access to a recording. I missed it myself.

Reactions: Brian LB-U

3k comments, mostly Iranians, and from the sample I read, nearly all very respectful to DT, even if their fierce loyalty to their guy shines through. I so wish that country could be free, and generally safe for American travelers. Would love to see a big wrestling event in person there some day.

Am I the only one who was confused why Taylor was put on the clock? Maybe I am missing something as I am not "up" as much on the FS rules, but I thought Taylor took the only legitimate shots/ attacks in the 1st period.
He was the American.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Well this is no help to me as I cut my TV cable two years ago. YouTube TV is not listed.

Any chance of these matches getting posted to YouTube?

I watched all of the wrestling on YouTube TV. They have an Olympics section and it shows you what is on and when. You just select Wrestling for the time you want to watch.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
Maybe I'm looking through Red/White/Blue glasses, but it seems the Americans are willing to take more chances. Many of the international wrestlers are content to hold center and win 2-0 on a passivity call and pushout.

Even Gilman moved away from his under-hooks and pushouts. He was firing off a lot more leg attacks than I remember.

Maybe a generalization on my part, but there has been a lot of exciting wrestling and much of it from USA wrestlers.... both men and women.
I think you are correct in the general statement that we're more offensive. Regarding the change in 'styles' or not using certain moves/tactics - these are great athletes and they study well - they take away a lot of goto's.

"DT made it happen because he's better. He has better attacks, more attacks, is impossible to finish on, and a huge tank. The path to victory is incredibly narrow and Yazdani almost pulled it off, so props to him, but DT is that dude."

yeah for sure guys lol weirdos

I guess you forgot about this salvo you fired off about 10 days ago.

"The problem is that in both matches he was getting completely manhandled until Yazdani gassed. He hasn't shown he can outwrestle him when he's fresh. If he doesn't bring his usual pace, he's in trouble imo."

or this

"The problem with this is I don't think he's good enough there to beat Yazdani. He has to take Yazdani into flurries and exchanges he's not comfortable in and that's where he gasses. He won't beat Yazdani if he just stays in there and handfights and picks his spots."

or this

"We said that last time around and he got bullied just as bad. Just makes me nervous when the strategy relies on the other guy faltering."

3-0

I guess you forgot about this salve you fired off about 10 days ago.

"The problem is that in both matches he was getting completely manhandled until Yazdani gassed. He hasn't shown he can outwrestle him when he's fresh. If he doesn't bring his usual pace, he's in trouble imo."

or this

"The problem with this is I don't think he's good enough there to beat Yazdani. He has to take Yazdani into flurries and exchanges he's not comfortable in and that's where he gasses. He won't beat Yazdani if he just stays in there and handfights and picks his spots."

or this

"We said that last time around and he got bullied just as bad. Just makes me nervous when the strategy relies on the other guy faltering."

3-0
Yeah I picked DT to win a different way than he ended up winning, just like everybody on this board. idiot. He didn't get to his pace or his scrambles, but he hung in against the underhook much better, so he didn't need to in the end.

Talking about concerns with matchups, especially against a reigning Olympic champ, doesn't mean I don't like our guys. It means I like wrestling and I like talking about it. And I get stuff wrong too because I'm a fan.

I get that I'm an Iowa fan, but I come on here all the time and praise your guys, especially when they're competing for Team USA. I will also be cheering on Beau Bartlett at Jr. Worlds. Life is better when you're not so insecure. You just ended a 10 year dynasty and are reloading for more in the future. Act like it.

this olympic NBC web site makes me miss how easy BTN plus is.

Gilman bout starts at 91-minute mark; Taylor around 140-minute mark followed immediately by Gilman medal presentation, Maurolis bout, and Taylor Medal presentation.

You get 30-minute preview without cable channel authorization. Unlimited, If you authorize NBC through your cable provider.

Reactions: danoftw
Unrelated question. Someone here recommended a good pizza parlor awhile back in punxy. Since I went in to work late this morning to watch the matches I'm gonna be stuck eating dinner here. If you read this, let me know the name again.
Defilice pizza, unfortunately not open today.

Being put on the shot clock and passivity are two different penalties based on different actions. Passivity is generally called for repeatedly avoiding action by intentionally breaking contact or ties. If the defensive wrestler is in serious danger and avoids it by "breaking the contact" of the offensive wrestler - passivity can be called immediately. Didn't see match, but in this case it sounds like they called it on DT for repeatedly breaking and avoiding contact/ties (the ref probably warned him before calling it). In any event, in Freestyle you're not really permitted to do the boxer thing where you intentionally avoid the opponents tie attempts by pushing off and dancing backwards, side-to-side, etc... You're defensive alternative is to initiate your own attack forcing the opponent to alter his approach.
Dialog between Angry Spyker and Bushwood is an underrated bonus.

Yeah I picked DT to win a different way than he ended up winning, just like everybody on this board. idiot. He didn't get to his pace or his scrambles, but he hung in against the underhook much better, so he didn't need to in the end.

Talking about concerns with matchups, especially against a reigning Olympic champ, doesn't mean I don't like our guys. It means I like wrestling and I like talking about it. And I get stuff wrong too because I'm a fan.

I get that I'm an Iowa fan, but I come on here all the time and praise your guys, especially when they're competing for Team USA. I will also be cheering on Beau Bartlett at Jr. Worlds. Life is better when you're not so insecure. You just ended a 10 year dynasty and are reloading for more in the future. Act like it.

Weirdo??? Idiot??? LOL

You seem to be really angry. I guess it happens when you know you're on the wrong side of the argument.

Bottom line: Taylor was 2-0 and it was Yazdani who had to make adjustments. not Taylor. He tried his best, but one way or the other David finds a way. This time it was a 1-minute 10-second sprint to the finish ... once again Yazdani couldn't stop it.

3-0 baby ... deal with it.

Last edited:
Go over to Track and Field. Many of the distance runners come from East African countries but are now citizens/represent other countries including the US. The gold medalist in the men’s pole vault is from Lafayette, Louisiana but represented Sweden. The women’s 100 H gold medalist is from South Carolina but represented Puerto Rico. This happens all the time in all sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find some other imports on team USA in events like badminton, pentathlon, table tennis, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: PopSheetz
Maybe it has been shared, but USA TV network (USAHD) will be showing (repeats) some of the key matches at 2:45 PM (in about 15 minutes) if you missed them this morning. My cable package (Direct TV) lists it as "Karate, boxing, and wrestling". They did this yesterday as well at the same time.

Reactions: mcruny42
Idiot???

You seem to be really angry. Happens when you know you're on the wrong side of the argument.

Bottom line: Taylor was 2-0 and it was Yazdani who had to make adjustments. not Taylor. He tried his best, but one way or the other David finds a way. This time it was a 1-minute 10-second sprint to the finish ... once again Yazdani couldn't stop it.

3-0 baby ... deal with it.
What do I have to deal with??? I was up at 5am to watch him win. Does it make you feel better to pretend that I was rooting against him? The face of your program just won Olympic gold and you're pissed off about an imaginary anti-taylor bias I have lol

Was Yazdani actually gassed? I didn't think so. I think that attack from DT was just incredible. Beautiful timing on the wrist snap off of Yazdani's underhook clear. Caught him totally flat footed.
I don't think Yazdani was gassed, relative to the previous 2 meetings between these two athletes. I do think the winner of that last attack-counter won the situation because he had more gas available to push through for the score.

WELL DT SCORED 4 POINTS ON 2 TAKEDOWNS WELL YAZ SCORED NO POINTS ON ANY OFFENSIVE MOVES THANK THE REF FOR 3 POINTS!!

Maybe I'm looking through Red/White/Blue glasses, but it seems the Americans are willing to take more chances. Many of the international wrestlers are content to hold center and win 2-0 on a passivity call and pushout.

Even Gilman moved away from his under-hooks and pushouts. He was firing off a lot more leg attacks than I remember.

Maybe a generalization on my part, but there has been a lot of exciting wrestling and much of it from USA wrestlers.... both men and women.

I’d be willing to bet that if you checked the scoring for all of the matches you would see plenty of higher scoring matches across all countries. Wikipedia is an easy way to check if you are so inclined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics#Competition_schedule

I don't think Yazdani was gassed, relative to the previous 2 meetings between these two athletes. I do think the winner of that last attack-counter won the situation because he had more gas available to push through for the score.
I think Yazdani did everything he should have done to beat DT, including preserve his gas tank and dictate the pace. He didn't get taken down b/c he was gassed, he got taken down b/c he was flat-footed at a moment he should've been on high-alert b/c DT was running out of attack options. Like Abdullaev against Uguev.

Reactions: diggerpup and Grass
What do I have to deal with??? I was up at 5am to watch him win. Does it make you feel better to pretend that I was rooting against him? The face of your program just won Olympic gold and you're pissed off about an imaginary anti-taylor bias I have lol
Keep posting and put him on ignore. It will do wonders for your sanity.

Ok sensitive sally. Piss off already. No one wants to think or talk about your problems.

Does anyone have the link to the David Taylor interview where he talks about his mom seeing the ad in the paper to sign him up for wrestling? He mentions in there he lost every match but 1 that first year in Wyoming but fell in love.
I coach youth sports for my boys and I want to send it to parents of my teams.
OMG! I never imagined that David Taylor and I share a similar wrestling heritage!!

For the record I wasn’t seeing the horrible intent alleged to be behind @js8793’s posts. He questioned what DT’s path to victory was if Yazdani didn’t gas, and we pretty much found out. I say pretty much because with about a minute or so to go I thought David looked fresher, but the gap wasn’t as big as before.

Maybe he thought there was no path in that situation. Okay, hang him for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT