ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing Encouraging in Pittsburgh

seeyajohn

Mar 19, 2012
PSU recruits displayed a lack of aggression in the Pittsburgh Classic as Davis and Barr both lost to tOSU recruits. Kazak was the only PSU winner hanging on for a one point win. I'm beginning to wonder if Michigan wrestlers are all non-offensive.

PSU recruits displayed a lack of aggression in the Pittsburgh Classic as Davis and Barr both lost to tOSU recruits. Kazak was the only PSU winner hanging on for a one point win. I'm beginning to wonder if Michigan wrestlers are all non-offensive.
Cael whiffs again and PSU will have to underperform themselves to 4 more National Championships. Is that about right?

Reactions: mcpat and Grass
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Barr and Welsh wrestled at 172lb....Wasn't Barr at 182 all season? Did he cut weight for this match?

Joe Carr got pinned at that event in 1997.

Are you saying that you're worried?

Reactions: mcpat
Davis and Nasdeo are not high level recruits imo. Kasak is solid, but not elite. Barr is elite, but wrestled the best wrestler at the event. No reason to be concerned, that’s for sure.

He didn’t lose - he tied with Chris Bono. He made it a point to go to the HS National tournament to get a rematch but I don’t think Bono was there. They are good friends now and actually laugh about the whole thing.
A tie is a loss for Kolat. Lol. Jk. I was young so maybe it felt like a loss. I thought he was invincible back then.

Reactions: fronk71 and hlstone
Davis and Nasdeo are not high level recruits imo. Kasak is solid, but not elite. Barr is elite, but wrestled the best wrestler at the event. No reason to be concerned, that’s for sure.
Right now Nasdeo projects as a depth/room guy. Davis is considerably higher rated, and right now probably falls in the "solid" category. Barr and Welsh are pretty evenly matched; IIRC all three of their matches have been close, low-scoring affairs.

Obviously, it's dumb to draw a definitive conclusion based on one match (even if unimpressive) at a high school all-star event.

The one thing I got out of this is Kasak will not be our 157 pounder if Levi moves up. That's about it. Also Barr probably will need a year if he wants 184. That means if AB moves up I think that exciting kid whose name I can't recall might be the man unless we go portal with Bernie

Kasak is elite. He will be similar to Levi when they bring him out. He is a stud with great character. Nasedo is a room guy at best and Davis is over rated. Not great character. He was gassed. Kilkreary won a boring match on an illegal cut back but regardless it was a bad match

Reactions: fronk71
Kasak is elite. He will be similar to Levi when they bring him out. He is a stud with great character. Nasedo is a room guy at best and Davis is over rated. Not great character. He was gassed. Kilkreary won a boring match on an illegal cut back but regardless it was a bad match
Kasak is very good but saying he’s going to have a similar season to Levi is putting a lot on the kid. If he goes as a true freshman I see him as a round of 12 guy. Think he should redshirt and then he’s in the AA conversation. Not many true freshman can do what Levi just did. I’m high on Kasak just not that high

And Davis doesn’t have “great character “?! You are getting that from an exhibition match that he probably should have won? What kind of comment is that?

Agree to disagree on Davis, I came away impressed with him. It's not like he is ranked as some "can't miss" Spencer Lee type prospect either, he's in the 20s and I think he might be a bit underrated if anything.

He was on his way to the winning takedown before Kilkeary was allowed to just hit an illegal cutback. His style is unorthodox and I think working with Gilman/RBY and Cody will make him a very fun wrestler to watch, very very happy we got him.

Cael recruits kids with high ceilings and great capacity to improve. Very few TrFR who jump straight from the HS mat AA nationals. Very few. All of these new recruits need a RS yr. It’s a pretty good class, though.

Two future Hodge winners, Jake Herbert and Alex Dieringer, also lost at the classic. The list of wrestlers who lost there contain numerous future NCAA champions. It happens, ask TJ Jaworsky.

big deal its a practice match!!

Reactions: creamery freak
Similar too Haines?? Oh no, HE LOST AT WNO!!

Reactions: NittanyLion84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT