ADVERTISEMENT

Next year?

I’m going to draw a lot of criticism for saying this but I’m over the 24-25 year olds competing. I don’t like it. I don’t like the gray shirts. I don’t like the kids being held back in high school. I realize Covid and Olympics affects things. But 5 years is plenty of time post graduation. If you are 19 at graduation then you still have plenty of time to wrestle in college. If I were king for a day, The minute you no longer qualify for U-23, you no longer qualify for eligibility in the NCAA. That is all, end rant. And yes I realize that affects our team. So be it. I don’t like it for the sport.

I think I'm inclined to agree with you. Keep in mind this is an old problem. There have been military and religious exemptions forever. After WW II you had battle hardened vets on college football teams. Even the days before every college had shrines to York, Eleiko and Rogue; they were both physicallly and mentally leaps ahead of some teenager. And some schools (BYU) have used the religious exemption to their advantage.

The problem with the "covid year" was that it was conspicuous benefit; hidden cost. For every guy who had the extra year, there was an incoming kid who lost an opportunity. A lot of them still didn't get past the hump. (Marinelli, Kemmerer) or stay at the top. (Fix and RBY, courtesy of the same opponent) and of course Lee. Brayton Lee was injured and lost his edge.

Watching Levi Haines get beat by guy who has had four or five years to develop -so much so that Burroughs commented on his strength and development multiple times seems unfair. Is O'Connor a great wrestler? Absolutely. But at this point he's a man among boys.

Think back to your own youth-assuming its in the rear view mirror. I wasn't a college athlete, didn't have the training or direction, and still went from being 170 when I entered college (I was running every day, my weight was back in 180's by Christmas break) to 205 when I graduated on the "five year plan". By 24, I was 210 and still managed to turn a 5 and change mile and this was lifting infrequently.

Honestly, unless you are in grad school; I have no idea how you hang around until 24 or 25. When I graduated, I was six weeks short of 23 and still felt out of place.

On the flip side are real old guys that played sports; when advanced age was in the negative column.

And in wrestling; then there's Nathan Godsey..

And Terence Haynes

As I recall the oldest NCAA champ was 27 or 28.

I think I'm inclined to agree with you. Keep in mind this is an old problem. There have been military and religious exemptions forever. After WW II you had battle hardened vets on college football teams. Even the days before every college had shrines to York, Eleiko and Rogue; they were both physicallly and mentally leaps ahead of some teenager. And some schools (BYU) have used the religious exemption to their advantage.

The problem with the "covid year" was that it was conspicuous benefit; hidden cost. For every guy who had the extra year, there was an incoming kid who lost an opportunity. A lot of them still didn't get past the hump. (Marinelli, Kemmerer) or stay at the top. (Fix and RBY, courtesy of the same opponent) and of course Lee. Brayton Lee was injured and lost his edge.

Watching Levi Haines get beat by guy who has had four or five years to develop -so much so that Burroughs commented on his strength and development multiple times seems unfair. Is O'Connor a great wrestler? Absolutely. But at this point he's a man among boys.

Think back to your own youth-assuming its in the rear view mirror. I wasn't a college athlete, didn't have the training or direction, and still went from being 170 when I entered college (I was running every day, my weight was back in 180's by Christmas break) to 205 when I graduated on the "five year plan". By 24, I was 210 and still managed to turn a 5 and change mile and this was lifting infrequently.

Honestly, unless you are in grad school; I have no idea how you hang around until 24 or 25. When I graduated, I was six weeks short of 23 and still felt out of place.

On the flip side are real old guys that played sports; when advanced age was in the negative column.

And Terence Haynes

Wasn’t Matt Brown 25?

I agree but Iowa needs to change. They are getting their arse handed to them. It’s pretty much the same thing every year. They are Avis! I don’t think the Brands like that. Besides Spencer is spent. He’s their next coach. Book it!

Nota Bene:

Spencer will never be a head coach, until he's a little (ok, a lot) less self absorbed.

Reactions: bwfight and danoftw

And Terence Haynes

Bill Koll was "merely" 24 or 25 when he won his last individual titles. He was also a decorated combat engineer who was allowed to "slam" guys in a way that is now illegal. LOL. Poor bastards.

I don't know if Bob Funk, team captain from about 1968, is alive or reading this, but a few years ago he told me Koll used to smoke cigars (or maybe cigs, I forget) around the room, then work out like it was nothing.

Bill Koll was "merely" 24 or 25 when he won his last individual titles. He was also a decorated combat engineer who was allowed to "slam" guys in a way that is now illegal. LOL. Poor bastards.

I don't know if Bob Funk, team captain from about 1968, is alive or reading this, but a few years ago he told me Koll used to smoke cigars (or maybe cigs, I forget) around the room, then work out like it was nothing.
Cigars.

Reactions: Conewago

And Terence Haynes

Yeah the military and religious exemptions get tricky and I don’t like to be the one telling people they can’t compete. Today Austin Gomez announced he’s coming back. While I wanted him to have his due this year, a seventh year is just ridiculous. Where I have seen it most recently is bleeding into HS. It’s widely known in youth programs now that holding kids back gives them a massive advantage in their later HS years. Now all of the sudden, many kids are pushing 19 at graduation. The whole system seems to be trending the wrong direction. I also widely admit that I have told my brother to do the same thing with his boys. Otherwise they will be at a disadvantage. Not saying he will so everyone can stop yelling already. I turned 18 end of my senior year, walked onto my college team and made the lineup. Massive maturing in that 18-19/20 year. I can’t imagine still being in college when I was 25 and in the Marine Corps. But again, I’m not a hard no on it for exceptions. I just don’t like it. And in general it’s not good for the sport.

Yeah the military and religious exemptions get tricky and I don’t like to be the one telling people they can’t compete. Today Austin Gomez announced he’s coming back. While I wanted him to have his due this year, a seventh year is just ridiculous. Where I have seen it most recently is bleeding into HS. It’s widely known in youth programs now that holding kids back gives them a massive advantage in their later HS years. Now all of the sudden, many kids are pushing 19 at graduation. The whole system seems to be trending the wrong direction. I also widely admit that I have told my brother to do the same thing with his boys. Otherwise they will be at a disadvantage. Not saying he will so everyone can stop yelling already. I turned 18 end of my senior year, walked onto my college team and made the lineup. Massive maturing in that 18-19/20 year. I can’t imagine still being in college when I was 25 and in the Marine Corps. But again, I’m not a hard no on it for exceptions. I just don’t like it. And in general it’s not good for the sport.
Wow, I thought with all the injuries he'd move on.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
How does Vito have another year? Did he greyshirt out of HS and then not enroll in 2021? I'm assuming that can be the only reason
Grayshirt 2018, Olympic shirt 2020, not enrolled in 2021.

His son Chris smoked cigars at my HS practices. He was the coach my senior year. It was nasty when you were sucking air and sweating through the rubberized sweats!

Reactions: Conewago
I agree but Iowa needs to change. They are getting their arse handed to them. It’s pretty much the same thing every year. They are Avis! I don’t think the Brands like that. Besides Spencer is spent. He’s their next coach. Book it!
What makes everyone think that being a great wrestler equals being a great coach? From my far away eyes Spencer does not appear to have the goods to coach. Very fragile mentally. It could work at Iowa where he has achieved deity status, but would most likely continue with the same Iowa style as TnT.

Last edited:
What makes everyone think that being a great wrestler equals being a great coach? From my far away eyes Spencer does not appear to have the goods to coach. Very fragile mentally. It could work at Iowa wher he has achieved deity status, but would most likely continue with the same Iowa style as TnT.
guy who won an ncaa title on two torn ACL's clearly "mentally fragile" lol

guy who won an ncaa title on two torn ACL's clearly "mentally fragile" lol
Did you see him close his eyes as he was being stuck and then MFF with no apparent injury while his team was still fighting for 2nd? And that was then and this is now. Would he have wrestled the finals if he had won? Of course. But he quit when it was all about him. Not a good team player in my opinion. But as I said guys like you have elevated him as a savior and program saver. So do it. Fire TnT and make Spencer the next coach. Iowa style. LOL. You sound like one of those Hawkeye fans that punched a poor tshirt vendor that dared ask about the Prince.

Did you see him close his eyes as he was being stuck and then MFF with no apparent injury while his team was still fighting for 2nd? And that was then and this is now. Would he have wrestled the finals if he had won? Of course. But he quit when it was all about him. Not a good team player in my opinion. But as I said guys like you have elevated him as a savior and program saver. So do it. Fire TnT and make Spencer the next coach. Iowa style. LOL. You sound like one of those Hawkeye fans that punched a poor tshirt vendor that dared ask about the Prince.
There's a lot that goes into this.
Spencer didn't put himself on that pedestal.
As I said before he was put there to carry Iowa Wrestling on his back..
His family, the Brands bros and the fan base put him there and it is almost impossible to live up to what they expected..( He didn't miss it by much either).
He's still a kid and he's going to make kid mistakes(fan bases seem to forget how stupid they were at that age, some are worse at a later age).
The amt of pressure he was under is more than any one in that program has been under in a long time if ever. We've seen the cracks for a bit..
The Brands have helped to create that pressure cooker..
I feel bad for Spencer and the good Iowa fanbase but love the gut punch to the douche bags.
Wasn't a fan of our "part time fans" going to the HR to rub their noses in it either. Funny barbs are one thing but what was going on wasn't...
Just my opinion not that anyone cares.

some good comments here. The age thing is pretty wild but spot on with the $$ the kids can get. Probably a sign of things to come but then you have to throw in the scholarship juggle.
No one has mentioned, but the dual meet record may be in jeopardy next year with some of the line-ups we may face. I say this based on the win/loss guarantee not being a 100% in matches. I want all the records. Really want the 10 AAs so Minny can't continue to brag.
Also... listened to Nelson Brands interview... sounds just like his dad and uncle... chip off the ole block

I’ll give it a go

125-Robbie Howard
133-Evans/transfer. Davis redshirts
141-Bartlett
149-SVN
157-Levi Holds the weight for one more year
165-Facundo
174-Starocci or Barr
184-Starocci or Barr. I think Barr will go as a true freshman. The lineup just is better with him in it and I see him as a Levi level recruit. I’m not penciling him in to make the finals mind you but I do think he has the ability to AA
197-AB
Heavy-Kerk

This could be the best PSU team ever. If Robbie can stay healthy he absolutely can AA at a weight with many guys graduating. 133 is the 1 weight with a ton of questions and no great answer yet. If Evans can make the weight I think he will surprise a lot of people but I really don’t know if he can make 133. If he can’t then the portal needs to be scoured. I think Davis is going to be very good but I don’t think he will be ready to go as a true freshman. A year in the room will do wonders for him. 141 and up is stacked with national champion level kids except for Barr who like I said earlier has AA potential right out of the gate. Like Clay has mentioned though, there are so many unanswered questions at this point the biggest being what Carter and AB plan on doing. If they take an Olympic year then punting might be best. I hope it’s not the path they take though because with the recruits we have coming in it’s just going to create a huge logjam. Will be interesting to follow. My one wish above all for next year though is that Robbie Howard can stay healthy. I love that kid and can’t wait to see what he can do with a full healthy season.
I highly doubt Starocci will punt if he wants to be the only 5 time champion (too tempting not to). Otherwise, he will be a grandfather by the time he graduates.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrestlingfan22
None of us have any idea what level of injury Spencer is dealing with, although I am fairly certain it is not 0%.

My Roster/Depth Predictions
125: Howard, Steen, Bettencourt, Davis (RS), Shindledecker, Vespa, Nasdeo, Wentzel
133:125 Loser(s), Evans?, Sullivan, Shunk, Levine, Transfer?, Kasak???
141: BB, Evans, Kasak(RS), Pierce, Wang
149: SVN, 141 Loser(s)
157:Haines, Bearclaw, Dunbar
165:Facundo, Matt Lee, Joe Lee?
174:CSTAR, Kelly
184:Barr, Ball?
197:Brooks, Cochran, Fricchione, Smith
285:Kerk, Nevills?, 197 Loser(s)
Probably will be some transfers out, Maybe one in at the lower weights or to fill a hole for ORS/Barr RS.

None of us have any idea what level of injury Spencer is dealing with, although I am fairly certain it is not 0%.
If you watched Max Murin walk off after his last match you would have seen some one with no quit. He literally had to be helped into the tunnel. He looked like he survived a train wreck. That is a team mate that gave his all. He had already AA'd but still kept wrestling. Spencer checked out. Enough said.
5e0d62a00e444.png

Last edited:
Murin could take a basket weaving class and would look like that..
He would certainly lead by example.
LOL he's a mess

If you watched Max Murin walk off after his last match you would have seen some one with no quit. He literally had to be helped into the tunnel. He looked like he survived a train wreck. That is a team mate that gave his all. He had already AA'd but still kept wrestling. Spencer checked out. Enough said.
5e0d62a00e444.png
I'd say that leadership, toughness, etc isn't always best illustrated by comparing 2 snapshots of guys (presumably) dealing with very different circumstances.

But hey...you said "enough said" so I guess that ends it.

Reactions: Agoodnap
It may be a tough cut, but if he wants in the lineup. Once he makes weight it is the maintenance of the weight that is important.
The last exhibition he wrestled up (I believe at 149). JB said he weighed in at ~141. I wondered at the time if that meant his walking around weight was 141…. or if maybe he cut that week because he didn’t know ahead of time he’d b wrestling up

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
I have to start this by saying I really really don’t think BB goes down to 133. I don’t see any way he can make that weight but I’m just thinking about trying to put together the absolute best lineup possible and that might be him at 133 and Kasak going at 141. This works if BB can make 133, Evans can’t make 133, no transfer in for 133, and Kasak is as ready to go as I think. He had a pretty good season competing in open tournaments and I see him making another big jump next season. I give this option about a 1% chance of actually happening though and I hope it doesn’t but I love talking about all the different possibilities.
BB says he walks around at 145 so not much weight to lose for 133 up to him

I have to start this by saying I really really don’t think BB goes down to 133. I don’t see any way he can make that weight but I’m just thinking about trying to put together the absolute best lineup possible and that might be him at 133 and Kasak going at 141. This works if BB can make 133, Evans can’t make 133, no transfer in for 133, and Kasak is as ready to go as I think. He had a pretty good season competing in open tournaments and I see him making another big jump next season. I give this option about a 1% chance of actually happening though and I hope it doesn’t but I love talking about all the different possibilities.

I think it is incredibly unlikely, but slightly more likely than what you suggested that they go to Kasak at 133 and BB at 141. I doubt he can make it, but it is his best option if he wants a spot as a true frosh

Reactions: nitlion6
come on man... there was no reason, team wise, to wrestle on Saturday. He didn't need a 3rd place to validate himself. Who knows what is knees were like? Murin's situation was different as he was reaching for a personal best. and he left it on the mat which was definitely admirable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT