ADVERTISEMENT

Next year?

Could see Troy Spratley or even Pat McKee hitting the portal. Whichever one doesn’t win the spot. Neither can bump up to 133 and beat Nagao.

How is Fix back?? Wasn’t he in same class with Yianni and Spencer? Spencer took a redshirt and Yianni didn’t enroll in 2021 ( basically Ivy way of redshirting) so how does Fix have another year since he redshirted as well? Did he get two redshirts along the way?
2018 Redshirt
2019 2nd
2020 Olympic Redshirt
2021 2nd but Free Year
2022 2nd
2023 4th

Still has a year b/c of two redshirts and Covid year. Crazy thing would be him taking another Olympic redshirt next year, which he can do based on his World Team Trials placement, and then wrestling for OkSt in the 2025 NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Portal McKee
Portal Nagao
Portal Traux
Portal Vito

I know its a message board and opinions are free, but it feels cavalier to just assume PSU can go out and "grab anyone" they want as some hired gun to fill a hole.

All those kids are successful at their own schools. Those programs have their own pride, their own NIL, their own staffs busting their asses to improve their own programs.

And don't overlook the relationships those kids have built at their current schools with their teammates, coaches, staff, other student friends on campus.

It feels dirty to act like PSU can kidnap anyone they feel like to plug a hole. It goes deeper than that.

Portal McKee
Portal Nagao
Portal Vito

I know its a message board and opinions are free, but it feels cavalier to just assume PSU can go out and "grab anyone" they want as some hired gun to fill a hole.

All those kids are successful at their own schools. Those programs have their own pride, their own NIL, their own staffs busting their asses to improve their own programs.

And don't overlook the relationships those kids have built at their current schools with their teammates, coaches, staff, other student friends on campus.

It feels dirty to act like PSU can kidnap anyone they feel like to plug a hole. It goes deeper than that.
I'll take Evans

Portal McKee
Portal Nagao
Portal Traux
Portal Vito

I think it’s mostly in jest.

Mostly.

I was corrected in posts since. I did not realize Vito had more eligibility because Cornel didn’t get a Covid year. But he and Yianni did take an Olympic redshirt which I forgot about. So I stand corrected.
Does Vito not have 2 more years to use 1? He can take an Oly next year.

PS - even with Covid I think there should be an age cap on eligibility.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
Evans was at 141 this year. Correct?
Unless he was a small ‘41, asking him to cut another 8 pounds would be a tough task.

Need a 125/133 and a 197. Otherwise there are 113.5 pts returning from 7 guys with two champs, two 2nd placers, and two 3rd placers. Facundo is the other returner.

Noto from LH would look good at 125 as would Jaxon Smith from Md. at 197. Just saying.

Isn't there a 25 returning who was recovering from injury/surgery this year???

Reactions: Jayhouse
Evans was at 141 this year. Correct?
Unless he was a small ‘41, asking him to cut another 8 pounds would be a tough task.
Yes, but 133 the year before that. I don’t know if he can make it again or not. He took Beau (and Cornella) to SV. One thought is he went up because he was contending to start there as opposed to 133 against RBY. No inside info here, just that he looks like he could be good.

Reactions: zzs006 and NCPsuFan
Portal McKee
Portal Nagao
Portal Traux
Portal Vito

Vito has big Olympic dreams. Seems logical to go someplace where he can fulfill those.

Vito has big Olympic dreams. Seems logical to go someplace where he can fulfill those.
In his interview he was respectful of the win, however, made it clear NCAA championship is not the goal. Not sure who his training partners are at Cornell but I know of a place he can get a few and improve.

Reactions: We Are . . .
Howard
Evans
Bartlett
Van Ness
Haines
Facundo
Starocci (limited matches)
Brooks (limited matches)
Cochran or Barr
Kerkvliet
Howard is not wrestling again. Injury prone. Braeden Davis is your 125, or Gary Steen again.

Next year we are punting. Sorry, it is what it is. AB and Carter are taking Olympic redshirts. Howard is injury prone and isn't wrestling again.

• Wow
Reactions: Ski
2019 2nd
2020 Olympic Redshirt
2021 2nd but Free Year
2022 2nd
2023 4th

Still has a year b/c of two redshirts and Covid year. Crazy thing would be him taking another Olympic redshirt next year, which he can do based on his World Team Trials placement, and then wrestling for OkSt in the 2025 NCAA tournament.
Another thing I don’t get, how are his parents paying college all these years? I know there is scholarship/NLI money, but that doesn’t cover everything that’s comes with college.

PS: LeamonEars, I don’t know how to remove you.

If Vito bolts he goes to Iowa… they excel at the lower weights. He’ll get to roll with Lee, AD, Woods, and Ayala.

There are soooo many variables right now that trying to predict a lineup is nearly impossible. What do Carter and Brooks do? If Brooks goes 197 limited reps, sure, but if Carter is going 74kg is he just going to take an ORS? If they both ORS does Levi take the Zain bulk plan. Is Howard healthy? Are there transfers in/out? Which freshman are ready to go next year? (I don’t think any of them, but Kasak could go 141 in a situation where Beau wasn’t there). Does Kerk take an ORS? Just too many question marks.

Hell, theoretically Shayne could make the U23 team at 65kilos and ORS. This far out it’s so hard to say anything with any confidence.

There are soooo many variables right now that trying to predict a lineup is nearly impossible. What do Carter and Brooks do? If Brooks goes 197 limited reps, sure, but if Carter is going 74kg is he just going to take an ORS? If they both ORS does Levi take the Zain bulk plan. Is Howard healthy? Are there transfers in/out? Which freshman are ready to go next year? (I don’t think any of them, but Kasak could go 141 in a situation where Beau wasn’t there). Does Kerk take an ORS? Just too many question marks.

Hell, theoretically Shayne could make the U23 team at 65kilos and ORS. This far out it’s so hard to say anything with any confidence.
Won’t stop us from doing it.

In his interview he was respectful of the win, however, made it clear NCAA championship is not the goal. Not sure who his training partners are at Cornell but I know of a place he can get a few and improve.
I’d imagine he and Yianni are staying put. Yianni is probably the future of that program and has NIL through the RTC and I believe his father is a big donor. Gilman is our guy for the next cycle. He may hang it up after that but until then.

I think I’m team punt, for what it’s worth. Could maybe win anyway

125: Howsrd
133: Evan’s/Transfer
141: BB
149: Shayne
157: Claw
165: Matt Lee/Trasnfer
174: Facundo while Carter takes an ORS
184: Transfer?
197: Brooks on a limited schedule with Cochran
285: Kerk unless he takes an ORS

I don’t see a style fit there at ALL. And they’re not gonna dare offend the golden child.
I agree but Iowa needs to change. They are getting their arse handed to them. It’s pretty much the same thing every year. They are Avis! I don’t think the Brands like that. Besides Spencer is spent. He’s their next coach. Book it!

125 punt
133 punt
141 Beau
149 SVN
157 punt
165 Facundo
174 punt
184 punt
197 punt
285 punt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT