ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Brackets and discussion

It’s official CP thinks we are going to win. In other news he has us winning 125-141-174 which tells me a lot in terms of which way the wind is blowing. 96 hours to go

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Davis is #1 and will possibly get Peterson after the winner of the pigtail.

Nagao is #10, will probably get Bailey to get to the quarters to face Crookham (who got robbed by not getting the #1 seed)
Can't find any interactive brackets for free so far

They tell a lot about Pyles musings. Why the attitude? This is a thread about this conversation and like it or not Flo is a part of it with occasionally relevant data.
Attitude? Just asking a question.

You indicated that Pyles" spiel told you a lot about "which way the wind is blowing". Had no clue what you meant by that (and still don't); hence the question. All part of the discussion.

Attitude? Just asking a question.

You indicated that Pyles" spiel told you a lot about "which way the wind is blowing". Had no clue what you meant by that (and still don't); hence the question. All part of the discussion.
CP was at the Big Tens I was not. He is not a huge PSU fan nor is he a hater. How he feels after watching the Big Tens in person tells me how non PSU fans felt walking away from that Tournament. Also he represents a business that needs to keep the entire Wrestling world more or less engaged. If he feels like it’s safe to say he thinks we will win 125-141-174 that tells me a lot about the general sense I.e. which way the wind is blowing.

CP was at the Big Tens I was not. He is not a huge PSU fan nor is he a hater. How he feels after watching the Big Tens in person tells me how non PSU fans felt walking away from that Tournament. Also he represents a business that needs to keep the entire Wrestling world more or less engaged. If he feels like it’s safe to say he thinks we will win 125-141-174 that tells me a lot about the general sense I.e. which way the wind is blowing.
Okay; you apparently place a lot more stock in what Pyles says than most (or at least more than I do).
But thanks for the explanation.

Last nights NCAA 🏀 bracket selection shows how they know that their version of March Madness is their everything and they have to protect the integrity of the bracket above all else. If they lose that, they lose their franchise.
Purdue loses to Wisky in the B1G semis. Wisky loses to Illinois in the B1G finals. When the brackets are announced Purdue is a 1. Illinois the conference champion is a 3. Wisky is the 5 after beating the number 1 two days earlier.
When the selection committee knows that the broad audience loves March Madness, they have to make sure that the best teams reside on opposite sides of the brackets. That's why my daughters that do not watch a single game of any type, still will fill out brackets and watch a little bit of the tournament every March.

I wish the selection committee for the NCAA Wrestling Championships would value their seedings as highly.

Sorry about the references to that stupid sport on this forum. I'll admit guilt and accept my sentence with remorse.

Last nights NCAA 🏀 bracket selection shows how they know that their version of March Madness is their everything and they have to protect the integrity of the bracket above all else. If they lose that, they lose their franchise.
Purdue loses to Wisky in the B1G semis. Wisky loses to Illinois in the B1G finals. When the brackets are announced Purdue is a 1. Illinois the conference champion is a 3. Wisky is the 5 after beating the number 1 two days earlier.
When the selection committee knows that the broad audience loves March Madness, they have to make sure that the best teams reside on opposite sides of the brackets. That's why my daughters that do not watch a single game of any type, still will fill out brackets and watch a little bit of the tournament every March.

I wish the selection committee for the NCAA Wrestling Championships would value their seedings as highly.

Sorry about the references to that stupid sport on this forum. I'll admit guilt and accept my sentence with remorse.

This could also fit into the discussion about Manning/Carter.

The BB committee obviously put more weight on the body of work during the season rather than one weekend of action at the BIGS. Some teams are already in before conference tourneys begin; others must play their way in.

Thus, it is in wrestling, and thus, it should remain. Priority #1 is to do the best you can to identify the best 33.

Bubba had a chance to play his way in, and it's ridiculous to think that Carter or even Bouzakis should miss out because of a bad weekend.

This could also fit into the discussion about Manning/Carter.

The BB committee obviously put more weight on the body of work during the season rather than one weekend of action at the BIGS. Some teams are already in before conference tourneys begin; others must play their way in.

Thus, it is in wrestling, and thus, it should remain. Priority #1 is to do the best you can to identify the best 33.

Bubba had a chance to play his way in, and it's ridiculous to think that Carter or even Bouzakis should miss out because of a bad weekend.

Carter had a bad weekend??? Really? Must have missed that - or are you really trying to claim those are real loses despite the fact that Carter was prevented from wrestling despite wanting to wrestle.

Carter had a bad weekend??? Really? Must have missed that - or are you really trying to claim those are real loses despite the fact that Carter was prevented from wrestling despite wanting to wrestle.
Take it easy.

I'm certain that jack66 was speaking hypothetically, as in, 'if Carter had a bad B1G tournament, why should that prevent him from qualifying from NCAAs, given his body of work in the regular season?' The logical comparison is Bouzakis, who had a good regular season, but not great results at B1Gs. Correct me if I'm wrong there, @jack66.

Okay; you apparently place a lot more stock in what Pyles says than most (or at least more than I do).
But thanks for the explanation.
Sigh.. this is not about Pyles. Or stock. It is about discussion and who is saying what. Who was actually at Big Tens and how they felt after watching the matches live. For me the most telling is that Pyles thinks BB will win 141. I don’t actually need to put stock in someone to evaluate the credibility of what they have to say having witnessed something. I can consider what they have said in the past and there degree of bias then juxtapose that bias with the intent behind what they are saying. In this case it is someone with more on the line than most. Pyles is being paid to be objective and appears to respect his position.He was there and most people would lean OSU after watching the match. I would not because I have watched BB grow and become an extremely good competitor (if not point scorer). I am also factoring the Cody March bump. The fact that Pyles appears to see this as well matters to me today. On Thursday none of this will matter which is what makes this week the best week of the year. May you thoroughly enjoy it. Peace

Perception could change if there were four 1's, four 2's, etc. In comparison to basketball Carter was a 3 seed. Staying with the basketball comparison he should have been a 1 seed opposite side of Lewis.

125-
1. Braeden- should see #8 Figueroa (ASU) in quarters & #4 Ramos in semis.
2. Stanich
3. Ayala
4. Ramos

133:
1. Fix
2. Crookham
3. Orine
4. Shawver
6. Vito
10. Nagao- should get #7 Nasir Bailey in 2nd match, #2 Crookham in the quarters & #3 Orine in the semis.

141:
1. Mendez
2. Beau- should see #7 Happel in quarters & #3 Woods in semis
3. Woods
4. Jack

149:
1. Lovett
2. Parco
3. Arrington
4. Henson
7. Kasak- could see #2 Parco in the quarters & #3 Arrington in the semis.

157:
1. Levi- should see #8 Robb in quarters & #4 Scott in semis.
2. Teemer
3. Shapiro
4. Ed Scott
5. Ryder Downey

165:
1. O'Toole
2. Mesenbrink- should see #7 Olejnik in quarters & #3 Ramirez in semis.
3. Rameriz
4. Carr

174:
1. Mekhi
2. DeVos
3. Ed Ruth
4. Griffith
9. Starocci- should see #1 Mekhi in quarters & #4 Griffith in semis.

184:
1. Kekeisen
2. Salazar
3. Plott
4. Munoz
5. Pinto
6. Bernie- Should see #3 Plott in the quarters & #2 Salazar in the semis.

197:
1. Brooks- should see #8 S.Buchanan (OU) in quarters & #4 Beard in the semis.
2. Hidlay
3. Sloan
4. Beard

HVY:
1. Kerk- should see #8 O.Trephan (NCST) in quarters & #4 Schultz in semis.
2. Batista
3. Hendrickson
4. Schultz
Ot. Cracks me up these guys in their 7th year. Mehki Lewis, Dayton fix,Bluto,etc.

Davis is #1 and will possibly get Peterson after the winner of the pigtail.

Nagao is #10, will probably get Bailey to get to the quarters to face Crookham (who got robbed by not getting the #1 seed)
I wouldn't be surprised if fix gets upset

Ot. Cracks me up these guys in their 7th year. Mehki Lewis, Dayton fix,Bluto,etc.
chris farley cinema supremo GIF

Ohio St's young guys have looked really good, just not consistently enough. Bouzakis, Mendez, Rocco, and Feldman all look like future contenders and Kilkeary, Rogotzke, and Geog have had their moments.
It is exciting, I see Geog being a Romero type of kid as he matures physically he will end up being a solid wrestler and will probably AA by the tie he is done. I have not seen enough of Kilkeary to know how consistent he will be, but the talent is there. Rogotzke, man he is going to age the coaches! I dunno, I love my Buckeye's but I just love the sport and love to watch no matter what team it is.

I just filled out my brackets. I only did bonus points for matches with PSU guys. I definitely had blue and white glasses on, but, I don't think any of it was ridiculous.

I ended up having PSU with 187.5 points. Without factoring bonus, the rest of the top 5 went: NC State, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska

I had PSU with 6 Champs: Davis, Bartlett, Levi, Carter, Brooks & Kerkvliet
I had us with 1 Runner-Up: Mesenbrink
I have Nagao 6th, Kasak 5th & Truax 4th

It's so fun picking these brackets. Some of these guys I have as finalists, wouldn't shock me to lose in the 2nd round or quarters. The match-ups are amazing, which makes this weekend so damn fun!

I'm leaning on PSU being at their usual best at the right time. Here were my finals:

125: Davis over Camacho
133: Fix over Crookham
141: Bartlett over Mendez
149: Lovett over Gomez
157: Haines over Shapiro
165: O'Toole over Mesenbrink
174: Starocci over Ruth
184: Keckeisen over Plott
197: Brooks over Hidlay
285: Kerkvliet over Bastida

I just filled out my brackets. I only did bonus points for matches with PSU guys. I definitely had blue and white glasses on, but, I don't think any of it was ridiculous.

I ended up having PSU with 187.5 points. Without factoring bonus, the rest of the top 5 went: NC State, Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska

It's so fun picking these brackets. Some of these guys I have as finalists, wouldn't shock me to lose in the 2nd round or quarters. The match-ups are amazing, which makes this weekend so damn fun!

I'm leaning on PSU being at their usual best at the right time. Here were my finals:

This is how I came out at first blush this weekend. I need to look at it further for KYPSW because Penn State is at 200 points. LOL.

Team Standings
1​
Penn State
203​
2​
Iowa
94.5​
3​
Ohio State
93​
4​
Nebraska
88​
5​
Iowa State
68​
6​
Michigan
67​
7​
NC State
66.5​
8​
Oklahoma State
62​
9​
Cornell
56.5​
10​
Arizona State
55.5​

Champs (6): Bartlett, Haines, Mesenbrink, Starocci, Brooks, Kerk
R/U (2): Davis, Truax
3rd: Kasak
R12: Nagao

125: Ayala d Davis
133: Crookham d Bouzakis
141: Bartlett d Mendez
149: Lovett d Gomez
157: Haines d Shapiro
165: Mesenbrink d KOT
174: Starocci d Rocco
184: Keck d Truax
197: Brooks d Hidlay
HWT: Kerk d Bastida

I know that's too much for the good guys, but I don't want to be too far on the wrong side and miss out a great run from our guys.

I hope your vaccinations are up to date because there’s a certain very vocal poster on the board that should be by soon to plague you for daring to pick KOT over MM. Sellout. 😉

Take it easy.

I'm certain that jack66 was speaking hypothetically, as in, 'if Carter had a bad B1G tournament, why should that prevent him from qualifying from NCAAs, given his body of work in the regular season?' The logical comparison is Bouzakis, who had a good regular season, but not great results at B1Gs. Correct me if I'm wrong there, @jack66.
Correct

I thought it was self-evident, but I guess not for everyone.

Thanks

Reactions: Reslo
Not one single person picking Mesenbrink over O'Toole. Not one.

Except Random459! Who is one of the most respected posters in this board

• Haha
Reactions: Bosox2004
Ohio St's young guys have looked really good, just not consistently enough. Bouzakis, Mendez, Rocco, and Feldman all look like future contenders and Kilkeary, Rogotzke, and Geog have had their moments.

The portal makes predictions difficult, but OSU will likely be our closest competition over the next few years.

It's interesting, though, with all the hype over their young guns in their 1st and 2nd year, our four (Davis, Haines, Mesenbrink, and Kasek) scored 79 points at BIGS; the Buckeye's seven (McCrone, Bouzakis, Mendez, Rogotzki, Welsh, Geog, and Feldman) scored 79 points.

If our four wrestle to seed (1st, 7th, 1st, 2nd) at NCAAs, the young Buckeyes (29th, 16th, 1st, 6th, 18th, 23rd, and 9th) will need to wrestle well above seed to stay close.

The portal makes predictions difficult, but OSU will likely be our closest competition over the next few years.

It's interesting, though, with all the hype over their young guns in their 1st and 2nd year, our four (Davis, Haines, Mesenbrink, and Kasek) scored 79 points at BIGS; the Buckeye's seven (McCrone, Bouzakis, Mendez, Rogotzki, Welsh, Geog, and Feldman) scored 79 points.

If our four wrestle to seed (1st, 7th, 1st, 2nd) at NCAAs, the young Buckeyes (29th, 16th, 1st, 6th, 18th, 23rd, and 9th) will need to wrestle well above seed to stay close.
Yeah, this tOSU class is more dangerous next year than this year (and McCrone should be replaced by Kilkeary next year with Davino coming in at 125 after that). As far as the Penn State guys go, I think we've seen enough over the years to not really be surprised when a whole cohort wrestles far above their recruiting pedigree.

Reactions: jack66
Not one single person picking Mesenbrink over O'Toole. Not one.

Except Random459! Who is one of the most respected posters in this board

The nerve of them. You do realize I'm 100% rooting for Mesenbrink. I also would not be shocked if he won the whole thing. I'm just not picking him to do so. I'm trying to be realistic and I give a slight edge to Keegan.

I haven't browsed GIA in a while, so, I decided to take a peak. The first thread is about 125 predictions. The OP basically stated that the only way Davis will make the finals is with another "ref bailout" and Drake only doesn't make the finals if the refs allow his opponents to stall. It is quite comical. Some things never change!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT