ADVERTISEMENT

Name the most head scratching coaching blunder

The last offensive drive this past weekend against Michigan. Two throws to Cam Sullivan Brown and one throw to Malick Meiga, really????

Reactions: Omar81
People across the country are still laughing at the fake FG
It might actually be the press conference where he said he would do it again even though Michigan wasn't in the formation they wanted and said the pass had to be perfect bc Stoudt wasn't fast enough to make the play if it wasn't perfect.

Of the Franklin era. I'll start. 4th and 5 vs tOSU.
Yup....McSorley had 175 yards rushing in that game, and we run at the best DE in the nation on 4th and 5 to end the game. The first drive in the game we were moving the ball big time and had OSU confused. Then they bring in Tommy Stevens for the "Lion Package." I was screaming at my TV, "everyone in the country knows you are throwing the flat pass to Stevens, you think you are going to catch OSU off guard."

The flat pass went for a "7 yard loss" and the drive stalled. Then we attempt a FG and the kick was blocked. PSU has been the best in killing a drive for years!

He's noted for his "Franklin's Fourth Down Follies", so it's hard to pick one out. He's worth one a game. It's a sign of desperation IMO.
There was a very, very interesting stat on one of the podcasts about Franklin going for it on 4th down. It goes back to his Vandy days and is something he's always done. The crazy thing is. He's had a pretty decent rate. IIRC they said this year was either his worst or 2nd worse % wise.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Please disregard all comments above. As you all should know, there will be no questioning of the PSU Mensa Society - excuse me, football coaching staff - by any non-members. Their decisions are based on thinking well beyond that of we knuckle-draggers that populate this board. Just accept that every decision they make is the right one and you'll be fine.

The end of the Central Florida game in Ireland. I can't even remember what happened specifically. I just remember being the worst case of game management by a coach I've ever seen.

If I scratched my head trying to rank the bobo calls in order I'd wind up just like coach Franklin......bald.

The worst one on its face IMO was in 2016 vs Michigan. (It ended up not being of consequence)

3rd quarter and game not totally out of hand yet. We had 4th and goal from inside the 5 yard line on the right hash. Franklin had the FG team out and lined up but the play clock was about to run out…. So he called a time out.

it was truly mind boggling since he was going to kick the FG and the 5 yard penalty actually makes it an easier kick.

James Franklin is the Les Miles of the Big Ten -- minus the national championship. The late game decisionmaking is so horrific, it's hard to even keep track of the worst call at this point.

The fake punt against UK in the Citrus Bowl was also an all-time stinker, but the 4th and 5 call against OSU in 2018 takes the cake. That call was the talk of college football for that entire weekend. It even prompted him to get into it with a fan on the sidelines who criticized the call, and of course led to the infamous "we're not elite" press conference.

What a night for James.

Reactions: Cosmos and psualt
How about not taking a knee three times, kicking FG and forcing IU to score TD with 17 secs on clock with 0 TOs? Too many issues to list. That one always get me and it was literally taking defeat from jaws of victory. The rest of sub-notes to poor performance that included many bad executions.

How about not taking a knee three times, kicking FG and forcing IU to score TD with 17 secs on clock with 0 TOs? Too many issues to list. That one always get me and it was literally taking defeat from jaws of victory. The rest of sub-notes to poor performance that included many bad executions.
Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Reactions: Cowbell Man
The end of the Central Florida game in Ireland. I can't even remember what happened specifically. I just remember being the worst case of game management by a coach I've ever seen.
you mean the game we won on a last second Ficken FG??

He bookended that season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
you mean the game we won on a last second Ficken FG??

He bookended that season.

Yes, we won the game. I just remember Franklin doing everything in his power at the end of that game to try not to.

Went back a re-watched the end. Just typical Franklin clock management blunders. Driving at the end of the game to kick the game winning FG and almost ran out of time despite having timeouts. We complete a pass for a first down to get into FG range with 9 seconds left. Franklin forgets to call timeout until there are 3 seconds left although we have 2 timeouts remaining. Cannot run another play to get into better FG range or center the ball. Make the game winning FG with no time left (and with 1 timeout left).

I guess this just stands out to me because it was his first game. Left me thinking, "oh no, this guy is an idiot."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sooner Lion
Of the Franklin era. I'll start. 4th and 5 vs tOSU.
Top of my head:

1. The 4th and 5. Now questions asked.
2. The debacle of Taquon Roberson in Iowa and them not calling a timeout or adjust to the kid going under center. Would have saved us many yards that night by not having 10 false starts.
3. Giving the ball to Ford instead of puttin GB the game in Clifford hands against IU in the covid years.
4. Targeting Mega and CSB during crucial times can Michigan. Do t forget we were 3rd down in red zone and Cliff threw one towards CSB. He didn’t even think the ball was coming towards him.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Rifleman handing the ball off to Salvucci on his own two yard line with less than 10 seconds to go in the game in a driving rainstorm...oops, never mind.
Ironically most of Fraud Franklin's blunders are on that very same level of stupidity.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
-Houston and Holhgorson called for blantant targeting

Dana Horgswin (lip read): THATS F***ING BULLSH1T

<high fives Houston player after getting flagged>

It was the greatest appeared to be a bad meltdown but 5d chess to show Zlorg from Planet 5 who really is an idgaf type.

be49wywcqaazbda.0.jpg

I still think he could of created more drama and distraction over a fan's dumb letter going into a ohio state game

Last year vs Indy we win if Ford goes down. Instead he scores and gives us an 8 or lead but leaves Indy time to score and go for 2 to tie.

I remember a game vs MD where he ran 3 times and punted with a 1 pt lead and time running out. A first down wins the game but he decided to punt to midfield where MD only needed a few yds to set up the winning FG.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
PSU vs Iowa a few years ago. 49 yard FG attempt at the end of the 3rd quarter. Could let the clock run out in the 3rd so that we kick the FG with the wind to start the 4th quarter. He calls timeout so that we kick into the wind. FG attempt by Pinegar, 2 yards short. Explanation after the game, he made one into the wind earlier and missed one with the wind so he wanted him to kick into the wind. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

2019 Citrus bowl against Kentucky. First quarter and score tied 0-0. Penn State had fourth and about 3 yards around its 30. Franklin decides to go it and the offense fell short. Kentucky takes over on downs, and with a short field, gets a FG. Margin of loss to Kentucky was 3 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT