ADVERTISEMENT

Allar/Singleton grew up and overcame adversity— sky’s the limit now along with Allen and the D

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Lost to Ohio St by 8 and Michigan by 9. Offense in a funk both games.

If Franklin didn’t go for it on 4th down with 7 min and 4 min left in the two games and punted, we prob would have lost by 1 and 2 points as I doubt the D would have given up long TDs.

Getting closer to elite. The Bowl game will give next year’s starters a good start. Coaching noticeably better on O this game— Seidel and Howle and Franklin stepped up. Why didn’t Omari get more playing time??

If Franklin didn’t go for it on 4th down with 7 min and 4 min left in the two games and punted, we prob would have lost by 1 and 2 points as I doubt the D would have given up long TDs.

Getting closer to elite. The Bowl game will give next year’s starters a good start. Coaching noticeably better on O this game— Seidel and Howle and Franklin stepped up. Why didn’t Omari get more playing time??
Our WRs weren't very good. I don't know why Evans saw so little time. Same for McClain. He had a couple of drops in one early game and was never seen again. And what happened to KLS?

Allar really struggled with the pressure in big games and the staff didn't help him with the play calling. Franklin's sphincter gets tight in those games. Very few easy throws, especially on 1st down. Run for 2, run for 2 more, then ask Allar to convert under heavy pressure on 3rd and 6.

I have no idea what to think about next year. UCLA, @ USC, @ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington sounds brutal. We have a lot of good players returning but who knows about the portal (both ways). We're going to be replacing a lot of the OL.

Reactions: mnuccio2
I have no idea what to think about next year. UCLA, @ USC, @ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington sounds brutal. We have a lot of good players returning but who knows about the portal (both ways). We're going to be replacing a lot of the OL.
sounds like 10-2 or 9-3 again. We will lose @usc and win one of osu or washington at home. not sure why anyone is thinking the other two games are a huge deal

Their defense is not that good... and then PSU leaned on their bread and butter offensive strategy - wait until their defense gets tired. MSU is a mess top to bottom.

If they did not go for it they would have lost?

Wouldn’t have been for the defense this year we were probably 8 and 4
Yeah but most teams can say that of the strongest part of their team wasn't as good
This year was progress. Second year in a row we comfortably won all the game we should after Purdue. 10-2 this year was expected....the goal is to improve on that despite some thinking that's "good enough"

sounds like 10-2 or 9-3 again. We will lose @usc and win one of osu or washington at home. not sure why anyone is thinking the other two games are a huge deal
And why would you think Penn State would lose at USC? 7-5 this year with Caleb Williams playing QB and can’t play defense worth a damn. You think they will be better next year without Williams? The

And why would you think Penn State would lose at USC? 7-5 this year with Caleb Williams playing QB and can’t play defense worth a damn. You think they will be better next year without Williams? The
I don't know how good PSU will be next year much less how good other teams will be. That said, OSU, @ USC, @ Wisc, Wash, and UCLA would be considered an historically formidable schedule. Getting through that with just 2 losses will be quite an accomplishment IMO.

Think about who will or might be gone from PSU's roster next year:

OL: Nourzad, Wallace, Wormley, & Fashanu (that's a total rebuild)
TE: Johnson & Warren (I hope Warren stays)
LB: Jacobs
DT: Isaac (He's really come on this year)
DE: Chop
DB: King, Dixon, Hardy, Ellis

I don't know how good PSU will be next year much less how good other teams will be. That said, OSU, @ USC, @ Wisc, Wash, and UCLA would be considered an historically formidable schedule. Getting through that with just 2 losses will be quite an accomplishment IMO.

Think about who will or might be gone from PSU's roster next year:

OL: Nourzad, Wallace, Wormley, & Fashanu (that's a total rebuild)
TE: Johnson & Warren (I hope Warren stays)
LB: Jacobs
DT: Isaac (He's really come on this year)
DE: Chop
DB: King, Dixon, Hardy, Ellis

I believe Felkins (kicker) has exhausted his eligibility too.

Why are people talking about UCLA as though they are a particularly good team? I mean, in a given year they might be good. But that’s no more true than say Maryland might be good in a given year

Our WRs weren't very good. I don't know why Evans saw so little time. Same for McClain. He had a couple of drops in one early game and was never seen again. And what happened to KLS?

Allar really struggled with the pressure in big games and the staff didn't help him with the play calling. Franklin's sphincter gets tight in those games. Very few easy throws, especially on 1st down. Run for 2, run for 2 more, then ask Allar to convert under heavy pressure on 3rd and 6.

What I see is:
- a team is one with NO number 1 receiver (wonder if the trajectory with the teammates and coaches-WR and OC) had anything to do with Parker Washington's decision to leave for the NFL in spite of coming off an injury...and dropping way down the board
- a QB who despite being 240 not willing to take a hit
As a result, opposing teams could concentrate on playing within 20 yards of scrimmage.
The second observation seems to have been addressed somewhat in yesterday's game.
I'm not sure how soon the WR coaching and player issues will be resolved.

As far as next year's competition, Neither USC or Washington will be the same without their current QBs....their lack of defense should be a positive for PSU. It seems OSU's run of having a stable of elite-performing QBs and WRs may not be the case next year.

What I see is:
- a team is one with NO number 1 receiver (wonder if the trajectory with the teammates and coaches-WR and OC) had anything to do with Parker Washington's decision to leave for the NFL in spite of coming off an injury...and dropping way down the board
- a QB who despite being 240 not willing to take a hit
As a result, opposing teams could concentrate on playing within 20 yards of scrimmage.
The second observation seems to have been addressed somewhat in yesterday's game.
I'm not sure how soon the WR coaching and player issues will be resolved.

As far as next year's competition, Neither USC or Washington will be the same without their current QBs....their lack of defense should be a positive for PSU. It seems OSU's run of having a stable of elite-performing QBs and WRs may not be the case next year.
We started with 2 WRs but Wallace got hurt and KLS disappeared for some reason. He was hardly targeted in the last few games of the season. The door was wide open for anotehr receiver to step up but all we got was Cephas. McClain had 4 catches against WVa but had a couple of drops against Illinois in game 3. That seemed to be enough to have him benched for the rest of the season. Sounds like a candidate to transfer.

I disagree that Allar is not willing to get hit but he definitely struggled with his composure under pressure.

PSU likely loses a lot next year. Most notably 4 OL and possibly 2 TEs. On defense we could lose Chop, King, Jacobs, Dixon, Hardy, Ellis, and Isaac.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT