ADVERTISEMENT

Myreon Jones

A Penn State fan doesn’t become a fan of another school just because they have better team. That’s not a true fan. That’s a fair weather fan. You leave the fan base. - good riddance. Don’t come back.

A Penn State fan doesn’t become a fan of another school just because they have better team. That’s not a true fan. That’s a fair weather fan. You leave the fan base. - good riddance. Don’t come back.
That’s not what I meant...I meant if someone is very knowledgeable about basketball and appreciates really good basketball, they wouldn’t be following PSU for the past 50 years....they would watch another team or teams. And how many of our football fans actually graduated from PSU? So if they follow the football team and not the basketball team, then they’re not real fans? What if they follow the basketball team and not the football team? How about if they only like wrestling so they follow PSU....do they have to stop being a fan?

That’s not what I meant...I meant if someone is very knowledgeable about basketball and appreciates really good basketball, they wouldn’t be following PSU for the past 50 years....they would watch another team or teams. And how many of our football fans actually graduated from PSU? So if they follow the football team and not the basketball team, then they’re not real fans? What if they follow the basketball team and not the football team? How about if they only like wrestling so they follow PSU....do they have to stop being a fan?

If there are so many of them around, why aren't they coming to the game tomorrow?

SMH....I just explained why...the program over the years has lost them, they’re not going to get them back in one season. Again, lack of interest/support does not necessarily equate to lack of knowledge. I know a ton about baseball, but I don’t follow the MLB or college baseball and I certainly don’t follow PSU baseball.

Reactions: Jovialgent
SMH....I just explained why...the program over the years has lost them, they’re not going to get them back in one season. Again, lack of interest/support does not necessarily equate to lack of knowledge. I know a ton about baseball, but I don’t follow the MLB or college baseball and I certainly don’t follow PSU baseball.

Fine. Let's revert to the one that we agree on. Central PA fans don't give a shit about basketball.

How is attendance this year related to last year?

Down a hair over last year. Average attendance last year was 9046. Average attendance this year is 8964. One more example of how Central PA fans don't give a shit about basketball.

Fine. Let's revert to the one that we agree on. Central PA fans don't give a shit about basketball.
That I can see....but do they support their high school teams? Maybe it’s just PSU basketball they don’t care about.

Down a hair over last year. Average attendance last year was 9046. Average attendance this year is 8964. One more example of how Central PA fans don't give a shit about basketball.

As hard as I try I simply can't gin up enough emotion to care about the attendance at basketball games at the BJC. I wish them and you well, but so many things are more important. Good luck!

But why don’t they give a shit about basketball? I live in Kentucky and pretty much every part of the state cares about basketball...hmm, I wonder what the difference is.

But why don’t they give a shit about basketball? I live in Kentucky and pretty much every part of the state cares about basketball...hmm, I wonder what the difference is.

We're talking chicken and egg here. You can argue both ways. I happen to believe that if the fans around here cared about basketball, the team would be better. You think the converse is true.

Indiana and Kentucky have been huge basketball states forever (I know you can go back 100 years for Indiana high school ball - I'm betting the same is true for Kentucky). I believe that's strong evidence that it's the fan bases that made the colleges major players in hoops, not vice versa.

See Franklin Wonder Five

Last edited:
We're talking chicken and egg here. You can argue both ways. I happen to believe that if the fans around here cared about basketball, the team would be better. You think the converse is true.

Indiana and Kentucky have been huge basketball states forever (I know you can go back 100 years for Indiana high school ball - I'm betting the same is true for Kentucky). I believe that's strong evidence that it's the fan bases that made the colleges major players in hoops, not vice versa.

See Franklin Wonder Five
Hard to say, but I will say the basketball talent is much better in PA than it is in Kentucky nowadays....and the numbers are greater in PA in terms of players....so my guess is the basketball team at UK drove the interest in basketball in the state, not the other way around.

Ilchi-Lee_I-dont-care_20180220.jpg

Hard to say, but I will say the basketball talent is much better in PA than it is in Kentucky nowadays....and the numbers are greater in PA in terms of players....so my guess is the basketball team at UK drove the interest in basketball in the state, not the other way around.

Hard to say. There's no doubt that University of Kentucky basketball was built by Adolph Rupp, who took over the job there in 1930. I do know that the state of Indiana was already hoops crazy at the high school level in the 20s. Given that Kentucky is their neighbor, it's quite possible that Kentucky high school ball was equally crazy. I also know that the Kentucky HS tournament was held on Kentucky's campus starting with the first year it was held in 1918 a good 12 years before Rupp got there. And the passion of the fans for high school hoops was great enough that they coined the term Sweet Sixteen back in 1932 (the Kentucky High School Athletic Association owns the Sweet Sixteen trademark)

Hard to say. There's no doubt that University of Kentucky basketball was built by Adolph Rupp, who took over the job there in 1930. I do know that the state of Indiana was already hoops crazy at the high school level in the 20s. Given that Kentucky is their neighbor, it's quite possible that Kentucky high school ball was equally crazy. I also know that the Kentucky HS tournament was held on Kentucky's campus starting with the first year it was held in 1918 a good 12 years before Rupp got there. And the passion of the fans for high school hoops was great enough that they coined the term Sweet Sixteen back in 1932 (the Kentucky High School Athletic Association owns the Sweet Sixteen trademark)
Before my time, so it’s hard to say. I know when I moved to KY I thought for sure the high school basketball team spent would be good...but it sucks. But people here live basketball (they’re just not very good at it).

Coaches aren't bound by HIPAA.

But Jones was in uniform and went through warmups today. He wouldn't be doing that if he was still sick. But his illness probably zapped his stamina for the short term.

Wann bet that Coaches are not bound by HIPAA? FYI you are also bound by HIPAA; trying telling someone about your wife's condition without her permission.

Wann bet that Coaches are not bound by HIPAA? FYI you are also bound by HIPAA; trying telling someone about your wife's condition without her permission.

They aren't. Not one iota.

Talking about your wife is an entirely different, albeit unwritten law that typically carries far worse penalties.

I believe that the player signs a HIPAA release for the doctors and trainers to share info with coaches. I do not believe that allows the coaches to tell anyone outside of the organization i.e. media without further approval from the player.

Reactions: psu1969a

I'll take that bet. And I want to double up on the wife bet too. Clearly you know very little about the regulation.

"
The following entities must follow The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations. The law refers to these as “covered entities”:

• Health plans
  • Most health care providers, including doctors, clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and pharmacies
  • Health care clearinghouses
HIPAA also applies to covered entities’ business associates (i.e., third parties that perform certain functions or activities that require the use of personal health information (PHI) including, for example, claims processing or administration). Entities that provide data transmission of PHI on behalf of a covered entity (or its business associate) and that require access on a routine basis to that PHI (such as regional Health Information Organizations (HIOs)) are considered to be business associates under HIPAA. Health information organizations that facilitate the exchange of electronic PHI primarily for treatment purposes between and among several health care providers."

The paragraph basically forms a 4th bullet for those contracted to do work on behalf of those plans/providers/clearinghouses.

Reactions: UncleLar
"
The following entities must follow The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations. The law refers to these as “covered entities”:

• Health plans
  • Most health care providers, including doctors, clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and pharmacies
  • Health care clearinghouses
HIPAA also applies to covered entities’ business associates (i.e., third parties that perform certain functions or activities that require the use of personal health information (PHI) including, for example, claims processing or administration). Entities that provide data transmission of PHI on behalf of a covered entity (or its business associate) and that require access on a routine basis to that PHI (such as regional Health Information Organizations (HIOs)) are considered to be business associates under HIPAA. Health information organizations that facilitate the exchange of electronic PHI primarily for treatment purposes between and among several health care providers."

The paragraph basically forms a 4th bullet for those contracted to do work on behalf of those plans/providers/clearinghouses.

Damn. You didn't give me a chance to get my bet in. Some things to note. One, the act pertains mostly to data transmission not to verbal communications. Two, coaches aren't on the list. Three, team athletic trainers might be included but only if they also provide services for a fee to other students (I'm reasonably sure the basketball team trainer doesn't charge others for any services). Four, most teams have players sign waivers anyway just to be doubly safe.

That said, many, if not most, coaches, will allude to the act just so they don't have to respond to reporter's questions.

Damn. You didn't give me a chance to get my bet in. Some things to note. One, the act pertains mostly to data transmission not to verbal communications. Two, coaches aren't on the list. Three, team athletic trainers might be included but only if they also provide services for a fee to other students (I'm reasonably sure the basketball team trainer doesn't charge others for any services). Four, most teams have players sign waivers anyway just to be doubly safe.

That said, many, if not most, coaches, will allude to the act just so they don't have to respond to reporter's questions.
You my not so friend are full of excrement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT