ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh Era Over in Michigan?

TheWizardofCamelot

Apr 28, 2017
Multiple outlets reporting Chargers/Jim Harbaugh are close to finalizing a deal, and an offer could come as early as today.

Does Moore take over? I'd assume this means Harbaugh knows the NCAA is going to come down on him and is ditching town. Will the coordinators be implicated?

Reactions: dmaw and JoeParulz
..and hopefully it will removed after NCAA finishes cheating probe.

Remove what? There is no such thing as an NCAA championship for Div 1-A football, so the NCAA would have nothing to remove.

The NCAA could vacate wins from Michigan though.

Harbaugh has seemingly been trying to get back to the NFL for years now. Perhaps the title (tainted or not) was enough for another franchise to be willing to deal with him.

The big question is: who do you hire to replace him if he does go? Does hiring Moore or Hart from within salvage the roster without Bama/Washington dilemma? Or do you go for an outside hire? A big name or a rising prospect?

There have been reports that Harbaugh insisted on immunity from whatever comes of the cheating investigation with the NCAA. Michigan was unwilling to give it him in his contract extension.

I'm not arguing that Harbaugh wants back in the NFL, but to say there isn't an element of avoiding the hammer here would be foolish.

Harbaugh has seemingly been trying to get back to the NFL for years now. Perhaps the title (tainted or not) was enough for another franchise to be willing to deal with him.

The big question is: who do you hire to replace him if he does go? Does hiring Moore or Hart from within salvage the roster without Bama/Washington dilemma? Or do you go for an outside hire? A big name or a rising prospect?

Might help w some current players but it would hurt with recruits and new portal additions for sure. Shame they drop off the schedule next year instead of the ten million dollar buckeyes. Good chance Minter is back in the nfl next season, either on Harbaugh's staff or replacing MacDonald in Baltimore.

I just picked a round number, it doesn't matter at this point.

College football may be dead for me at this point. At least I have Lamar and the Ravens.
If Lamar is Lamar, you will be celebrating a super bowl victory. If Lamar tries to be Doug Williams, you will not.

Especially considering the additional burden of NIL and the Portal.

Yes, it'll be Sherrone Moore. Mistake in my opinion. Very good assistant, but Harbaugh has always been a terrific line of scrimmage and OL guy and I'm not convinced Michigan's OLs have been Moore's brainchild as much as Harbaugh's. It's like Georgia promoting their DC to head coach if Kirby Smart left. Kirby is the brains behind that defense, not the DC.

Michigan was going to take a big dip next year anyway, so he's getting out at the right time. I was wrong about him -- he's definitely an elite coach, and probably best for us if he goes elsewhere.

Multiple outlets reporting Chargers/Jim Harbaugh are close to finalizing a deal, and an offer could come as early as today.

Does Moore take over? I'd assume this means Harbaugh knows the NCAA is going to come down on him and is ditching town. Will the coordinators be implicated?
I pray not. College football needs a Jim Harbaugh now more than ever.

There have been reports that Harbaugh insisted on immunity from whatever comes of the cheating investigation with the NCAA. Michigan was unwilling to give it him in his contract extension.

I'm not arguing that Harbaugh wants back in the NFL, but to say there isn't an element of avoiding the hammer here would be foolish.
Does anyone truly believe the NCAA is going to do anything meaningful here? Harbaugh wouldn't have returned for this year if he got an offer last off-season.
Also Harbaugh can ask for anything he wants in a contract. It'd be dumb not to

Michigan would be in no position to be able to give him "immunity" other than to pay a his fine and not fire him no matter the indiscretion. If the NCAA wanted to suspend him for two years, or whatever punishment they'd dole out, UM would have no way to stop it.

With all of the love showered on Moore within Fort Michigan I think it would be hard to not go with him. He deserves credit for his efforts.

The outside Rich Rod "shiny object" selection turned out about as well as the Mike Reilly hire at Nebraska. If Minter is gone then Moore and Hart have their work cut out for them. Need top notch DC but stay true to heritage.

With all of the UM vs Everybody stuff I just don't see how they fold and hire anyone else. Fwiw I love when the word Taint is used to describe UMs "championship." Appropriate on a number of levels.

Is Moore the guy crying after the PSU game like Jimmie had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer?

Does cheating even still exist in college football? Honestly, does it?

As long there are rules, of course cheating exists.

Does the punishment exist? I guess that's the question that's more pertinent.

You have FSU getting tagged for driving a recruit to a NIL meeting while OSU just spent upward of $15 million and magically didn't break a single rule in doing so?

Even Iowa seems to be coming under fire, again, since they apparently messaged Proctor, their newly acquired LT, to "keep his head up" while he struggled mightily for 2 months at Bama.

Reactions: doctornick
As long there are rules, of course cheating exists.

Does the punishment exist? I guess that's the question that's more pertinent.

You have FSU getting tagged for driving a recruit to a NIL meeting while OSU just spent upward of $15 million and magically didn't break a single rule in doing so?

Even Iowa seems to be coming under fire, again, since they apparently messaged Proctor, their newly acquired LT, to "keep his head up" while he struggled mightily for 2 months at Bama.
So if there's no punishment and the rules aren't enforced do they really exist?
Great examples but even their punishments...at least for FSU as Iowa hasn't been punished...are they meaningful?

..and hopefully it will removed after NCAA finishes cheating probe.
LMAOROFL he built a solid team of kids best at what they do and gave them the best things to do. They beat us like a rented mule this year. Signals had nothing to do with their success. They were the best team.

Reactions: JR4PSU
If he gets the Chargers a ring finally you'll learn to dislike him less lol
If he wins a Super Bowl with that bunch of underachievers, including Herbert, I'll put him up there with the best football coaches in history. With that said, I won't be surprised if he at least gets them to a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
If he wins a Super Bowl with that bunch of underachievers, in cluding Herbert, I'll put up there with the best football coaches in history. With that said, I won't be surprised if he at least gets them to a Super Bowl.
Not in the very near future. Like you mentioned, a group of underachievers

Why? I'd think that many NCAA coaches would jump at an NFL job if given the opportunity (as he has previously). I wouldn't see that as a safe assumption.
Agree it is been said before. The college game is much more demanding timewise. Between recruiting, being responsible for 100 college kids, and now with portal and NiL you need to re recruit your entire roster each year it is very demanding.
In the pros, you deal with prima donnas, but you have a draft where much of the work is done by others, the players union and your lawyers handle behavior issues. All you need to do is win. More pressure to win but not by a whole lot.
Unless you love working with young men and developing them, and or love recruiting the college game is much more demanding for a time standpoint.

If he wins a Super Bowl with that bunch of underachievers, including Herbert, I'll put him up there with the best football coaches in history. With that said, I won't be surprised if he at least gets them to a Super Bowl.
The AFC is just stacked with Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar and Stroud. If I'm him I go to Atlanta. Purdy vs. Goff is that title game. There's opportunity there. I mean, the best NFC QB is ????. It might be Stafford lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT