ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh Era Over in Michigan?

Nothing underhanded about what Day did or what McCord did.

I don't think I've ever called it underhanded. I just called it for what it obviously was the day (no pun) it occurred: he was told to leave, whether it was outright or hinted at.

Day's plans have evolved multiple times through this.

1st, it was Brown and Keinholz battle. Noland would come in to push them.

Then it was oh crap, they looked like piss vs Missouri. Let's bring in Howard.

At some point, I believe Ward was involved. Before the bowl perhaps? Then he said NFL. Then he said Miami.

Then Sayin hits the portal after Nick said I'm done.

At the end of it all, Day ran off the QB who most likely leads yall to 13-0 now that Harbaugh is gone for a kid who is a step behind passing while adding mild running ability. It looks like a lot was done to be in the same boat or worse than before. Just my piece. Appreciate your comments.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Now try and do the Harbaugh loyalty thing for going to the NFL again. Use the same parameters that you just used for Day 🤦‍♂️😂
Have no problem with Harbaugh leaving after national championship. He helped group win championship and all of the players knew he had some aspirations toward the NFL. His current group of players achieved their goal.

Have no problem with Harbaugh leaving after national championship. He helped group win championship and all of the players knew he had some aspirations toward the NFL.
But you were qwik to say that is being disloyal. You are all over the place with this. It’s all good. I understand why you do it. Here’s to OSU kicking everyone’s arse next year. 🍻

The offensive line was garbage at Missouri. Day commented after the game that Kleinholtz didn't really have much of a chance to perform between the offensive line performance and his comparatively few reps. Believe Day was evaluating qb play over the whole year, which was below OSU standards, particularly concerning the receivers who were out there for McCord.

Reactions: lazydave841
But you were qwik to say that is being disloyal. You are all over the place with this. It’s all good. I understand why you do it. Here’s to OSU kicking everyone’s arse next year. 🍻
I distinguished between two different factual situations which apparently went over your head.

I don't think I've ever called it underhanded. I just called it for what it obviously was the day (no pun) it occurred: he was told to leave, whether it was outright or hinted at.

Day's plans have evolved multiple times through this.

1st, it was Brown and Keinholz battle. Noland would come in to push them.

At some point, I believe Ward was involved. Before the bowl perhaps? Then he said NFL. Then he said Miami.

Then Sayin hits the portal after Nick said I'm done.

At the end of it all, Day ran off the QB who most likely leads yall to 13-0 now that Harbaugh is gone for a kid who is a step behind passing while adding mild running ability. It looks like a lot was done to be in the same boat or worse than before. Just my piece. Appreciate your comments.
When you are saying OSU "ran off" McCord, that is pure speculation. Telling him that he would have to compete for the starting job is how all competitive sports work.

Reactions: dailybuck777
2 years ago in the middle of the recruiting cycle, Harbaugh was looking for a pro job. I think he was exhibiting disloyalty to the current players who were losing out on getting the best teammates.
This is the dumbest argument ever made here and gunsie still posts.

When you are saying OSU "ran off" McCord, that is pure speculation. Telling him that he would have to compete for the starting job is how all competitive sports work.
That's running him off. Starting QBs usually don't have to "compete" for their job. Allar's not competing for his. Saying that literally was telling him to leave because the intent wasn't to have him start.

I defend Ohio State so much people accuse me of being an Ohio State fan but you're all being ridiculous in this thread. It's okay Day ran him off--as long as someone on their roster performs as well as him--if not that's on Day.

Incumbent starters don't typically go through a public competition. Particularly from 11-1 teams. It's absurd that you believe that. It's not how competitive sports work. Stroud never had a chance to truly beat out Fields. McCord was never going to be given a chance to beat out Stroud.

McCord did the very same thing Stroud did: lose to Michigan. He also played behind a considerably worse OL and probably didn't have the best WR room of the 3 years if compared player to player.

Stroud never had a chance to truly beat out Fields.
Fields had a great year and Stroud was very young. The year that Stroud backed up fields he didn't throw one pass. McCord's year was not anywhere near the years that fields and Stroud had. Both had elite performances. McCord was mediocre as is shown by the fact that the best offer he could get was from Syracuse. When Jalen hurts was beat out by Tua, Oklahoma was happy to take him. When Haskins was given the job over Burrow because Haskins won the Michigan game, LSU was happy to take him. Other coaches are evaluating McCord the same way that Ryan Day is.

Last edited:
And what is he saying privately?
Most probably, but possibly not, what he is saying in public. Nowhere have I contradicted public statements by players and assumed that their private feelings were different. You are the one doing that. I have assumed that players would prefer to play for the coach who recruited them Even though they haven't affirmed that out loud. That does seem to be the case for some of the best players at Alabama.

Most probably, but possibly not, what he is saying in public. Nowhere have I contradicted public statements by players and assumed that their private feelings were different. You are the one doing that. I have assumed that players would prefer to play for the coach who recruited them Even though they haven't affirmed that out loud. That does seem to be the case for some of the best players at Alabama.
Yet, you assume Michigan players think Harbaugh going to the NFL lacked loyalty to them despite no evidence other than your bias. McCord is way more likely to have bad feelings toward Day than anyone at Michigan is to Harbaugh having just won a title

Yet, you assume Michigan players think Harbaugh going to the NFL lacked loyalty to them despite no evidence
I would assume that players for Michigan wanted Harbaugh to give his best efforts during a very important time of the year which was the recruiting year. Instead of going all out on recruiting, Harbaugh was interviewing with pro teams which he knew would hurt his recruiting. That is my assumption but I think it is reasonable. You on the other hand are trying to say that McCord feels he was dealt and unfair hand. Other players in situations similar to him have spoken out. In particular, the quarterback that Trevor Lawrence beat out in Trevor's freshman year.

• Wow
I would assume that players for Michigan wanted Harbaugh to give his best efforts during a very important time of the year which was the recruiting year. Instead of going all out on recruiting, Harbaugh was interviewing with pro teams which he knew would hurt his recruiting. That is my assumption but I think it is reasonable. You on the other hand are trying to say that McCord feels he was dealt and unfair hand. Other players in situations similar to him have spoken out. In particular, the quarterback that Trevor Lawrence beat out in Trevor's freshman year.
My assumption is McCord thinks Day was not loyal in private anyway. I believe that assumption is reasonable so that settles the debate. Day is not loyal.

🤷‍♂️

My assumption is McCord thinks Day was not loyal in private anyway. I believe that assumption is reasonable so that settles the debate. Day is not loyal.

🤷‍♂️
Your assumption contradicts public statements by a player which means that is not nearly as credible as my assumptions which don't contradict any public statements that I am aware of or that you have provided.

Your assumption contradicts public statements by a player which means that is not nearly as credible as my assumptions which don't contradict any public statements that I am aware of or that you have provided.
Your assumption about JH doesn’t include any statement made by any player private or public. Yet you believe your assumption to be credible?

LMAOROFL no coach has a closer relationship with their players. You should get educated b4 stating obvious falsehoods. He is a players coach, they loved him.
Let's look for ways to make the Lions better not worry about other players. IMHO it looks like chicken poop to attack a team that beats us like a drum. Let's talk about beating them. Show some class.
Or just call a cheater a cheater…whatever works.

I would assume that players for Michigan wanted Harbaugh to give his best efforts during a very important time of the year which was the recruiting year. Instead of going all out on recruiting, Harbaugh wa
s interviewing with pro teams which he knew would hurt his recruiting. That is my assumption but I think it is reasonable. You on the other hand are trying to say that McCord feels he was dealt and unfair hand. Other players in situations similar to him have spoken out. In particular, the quarterback that Trevor Lawrence beat out in Trevor's freshman year.
"Assume"
McCord clearly feels that way but he's not stupid. Sorry you can't blame him for everything.

McCord was mediocre as is shown by the fact that the best offer he could get was from Syracuse. When Jalen hurts was beat out by Tua, Oklahoma was happy to take him. When Haskins was given the job over Burrow because Haskins won the Michigan game, LSU was happy to take him. Other coaches are evaluating McCord the same way that Ryan Day is.

On this account, you may very well be correct.

Not sure I agree with the mediocre part and you didn't when it was said here UNTIL the Michigan loss. I remember "he led the come from behind drive at South Bend", don't you?

Amazing how 1 INT, perhaps 2, change the complexion of a player.

On this account, you may very well be correct.

Not sure I agree with the mediocre part and you didn't when it was said here UNTIL the Michigan loss. I remember "he led the come from behind drive at South Bend", don't you?

Amazing how 1 INT, perhaps 2, change the complexion of a player.
Most OSU fans who watched McCord thought he was a statute and there was a fair amount of comment about how he couldn't get to his second and third reads. During Stroud's playoff run, they played some of his throws against Georgia, and it was obvious that he was far superior in the pocket. On one play, he caused 3 Georgia players to miss him. McCord didn't come close to that during the whole year. He deserves a good amount of credit for a very clutch throw against Notre Dame but overall he was mediocre. Thought maybe he could sort of emulate Georgia's walk on qb who won a national championship. Ultimately, he had a mediocre year and failed in the biggest game.

Would add that if Stroud had been in for the play that led to McCord's last interception against Michigan, Stroud almost surely would have evaded the first rusher.

Last edited:
When a college coach says you have to compete, that’s outright saying it’s time for you to move on. I know several college athletes who heard those words after being in starting lineup.

As was said, McCord was told to go.
Big time college football these days, he landed on his feet. I don't think Howard is much better and the true freshmen are not ready and brown is not there savior either.

Last edited:
The reality is that CF is a business today. Stuff like this is happening at all of the bigtime programs. The days of the "student athletes" are long gone.

Tell that to the Buckeye posters who were adamant McCord wanted more NIL and or a guaranteed starting position; he couldn't have been shown the door.

I recognize the business decision aspect of it. I didn't agree with it because they didn't upgrade the QB room, not because I thought McCord deserved anything.

Tell that to the Buckeye posters who were adamant McCord wanted more NIL and or a guaranteed starting position; he couldn't have been shown the door.

I recognize the business decision aspect of it. I didn't agree with it because they didn't upgrade the QB room, not because I thought McCord deserved anything.
I mean, that's the risk...whoever you add has to be better or you look foolish.

As was said, McCord was told to go.
I don't know whether he was told to leave or not.. However, based on comments after the spring game, where Day stated that the most important attribute of a quarterback with the ability to make quick decisions, Mccord had no real role at Ohio State. If you watched him, he was like a statue and didn't go through second and third reads very well or quickly.

Of course, if McCord did want to stay, he was entitled to his scholarship, but it was very unlikely that he would start in 2024 based on his performance in 2023. To underscore the importance of quick decisions, day was asked about a touchdown pass that Devin Brown threw. Day said that brown took too long to throw the ball. Day has also emphasized to his quarterbacks to trust their reads and not delay throwing the ball.

The most likely scenario is that Day told McCord that it was unlikely that he would start and McCord decided to go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT