ADVERTISEMENT

My dream scenario for Pirates/Cubs WC game

Pirates are up by five or more runs late in the game. Chris Coghlan comes to the plate. Cole drills him in the back with a 100mph fastball.

Just got flight/tickets/hotel to see the game. To quote Franklin, just win baby!

Reactions: nits74
There is no doubt in my mind the Coughlan slide was a dirty play, he came in with his leg high and leg-whipped or kicked him in the knee. If that dream scenario rose, however unlikely, yeah, a little retribution is in order.

I feel bad for Pirates fans and anyone else that have to play the Cubs this postseason. The Cubs are a team of destiny...the year 2015 has been set in stone for them to win the championship since 1989. Don't believe me?? Go watch Back To The Future 2! When Marty McFly lands in 2015...one of the first signs he sees is CUBBIES WIN WORLD SERIES. The rest of the league might as well shut it down. So let it be written...so let it be done.

I feel bad for Pirates fans and anyone else that have to play the Cubs this postseason. The Cubs are a team of destiny...the year 2015 has been set in stone for them to win the championship since 1989. Don't believe me?? Go watch Back To The Future 2! When Marty McFly lands in 2015...one of the first signs he sees is CUBBIES WIN WORLD SERIES. The rest of the league might as well shut it down. So let it be written...so let it be done.
Good catch on the Back to the Future thing. Now I'm really worried.;)

I'll take the 5+ runs ahead part for sure.
i should revise this a bit. Let's take a play out of Dusty Baker's book. In my scenario he's up in the top of the ninth. Big lead and Caminero's pitching. No chance for retaliation against one of the Pirates players afterward.

Last edited:
The movie also predicted by 2015 all lawyers would be abolished. This Board, including myself, is living proof of the inaccuracy of that prophecy.;)

i should revise this a bit. Let's take a play out of Dusty Baker's book. In my scenario he's up in the top of the ninth. Big lead and Caminero's pitching. No chance for retaliation against one the Pirates players afterward.
I have no problem with retaliation, but I wouldn't do it in a playoff game, regardless of the score or circumstances. I'd wait till next season. Still, if it happened I wouldn't feel badly about it.;)

My thoughts exactly..."payback's a bitch!" That's baseball.

I was having a related conversation about the Kang "slide" and how poorly the league evolves on issues like this. Our consensus was that MLB should take action on this type of slide. Look how the NFL has reacted to shots to the head and other deliberate acts to injure opponents.
I'm with you Ned, the league finally recognized the unnecessary injuries involving home plate collisions and took action. Why can't they see that second and third base collisions need to be addressed. I can see the collisions when the player slides directly into the bag, but when he slides away from the bag with the intent to take out the defensive athlete, that's just wrong. Maybe the powers that be want to emulate football.

I have no problem with retaliation, but I wouldn't do it in a playoff game, regardless of the score or circumstances. I'd wait till next season. Still, if it happened I wouldn't feel badly about it.;)
If the situation were reversed and the Cubs were ahead, I'd still hit he or Rizzo hard. Would love to see Rizzo out for the Cards series if it occurs. Because of the Kang incident and other reasons I would be routing hard for the Cards over the Cubs.

If the situation were reversed and the Cubs were ahead, I'd still hit he or Rizzo hard. Would love to see Rizzo out for the Cards series if it occurs. Because of the Kang incident and other reasons I would be routing hard for the Cards over the Cubs.
Well, if we lose we'll be rooting for different teams. At one time I liked the Cards but arrogant Cardinal fans here, and elsewhere, turned me off. That cheating didn't help either, so if it's the Cubs and Cards, I'm hoping for a Chicago sweep.

I don't understand all the angst over the Kang incident. Nobody on the Pirates has claimed the play was dirty.
What needs to happen is for the league to change the rules like they did to minimize dangerous plate collisions.

I don't understand all the angst over the Kang incident. Nobody on the Pirates has claimed the play was dirty.
What needs to happen is for the league to change the rules like they did to minimize dangerous plate collisions.
Mercer seemed to imply that he thought so. Of course, he too was a victim of this tactic.
So what you're saying is as long as the rules allow it, it's OK to try to commit dirty plays. And make no mistake, it was every bit of that.

Last edited:
Pirates are up by five or more runs late in the game. Chris Coghlan comes to the plate. Cole drills him in the back with a 100mph fastball.

Obviously a dream scenario....ain't no way the pirates are going to be up let alone 5 against Mr. Cy Young. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously a dream scenario....ain't no way the pirates are going to be up let alone 5 against Mr. Cy Young. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!
They will be going...........golfing on Thursday.

Last edited:
I'm with you Ned, the league finally recognized the unnecessary injuries involving home plate collisions and took action. Why can't they see that second and third base collisions need to be addressed. I can see the collisions when the player slides directly into the bag, but when he slides away from the bag with the intent to take out the defensive athlete, that's just wrong. Maybe the powers that be want to emulate football.
Or maybe more defensive players need to jump and just come down spikes first on the idiot that slid. I would figure if more guys did this and a few hands and knees were spiked maybe the league would get the point. My luck, my team's player would do this and break an ankle on the landing.
Just a thought....

i should revise this a bit. Let's take a play out of Dusty Baker's book. In my scenario he's up in the top of the ninth. Big lead and Caminero's pitching. No chance for retaliation against one of the Pirates players afterward.

Wait, what?!?!? Nice to see you've come around to the wisdom of my side of thinking as regards intimidation in baseball :)

The Yanks are done! Woo hoo! Yanks out. Giants out. Cardinals and Mets gotta go down. If my Dodgers don't get in the WS, I'm hoping for Bucs - KC or Cubs- KC. Arrieta can be beaten.

Reactions: fairgambit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT