ADVERTISEMENT

Music During Matches?

They definitely need to play some John Coltrane during Brooks. 😎
Are you for real my man? I'm sportin one of several Coltrane TShirts today. Yet another thing to talk about the next time we meet over a whiskey.

I'll have my video (I'm sure there's other sources now, but you can hear the questions on mine!) from the presser up later today--but Cael even went so far as to say he might turn the music UP if we don't get louder.

The music does not bother me and if the wrestlers want it I am all for it. Just my take, your mileage may vary…
But better music choices would be appreciated. Like with walkout music, let the wrestlers pick their match music.

I agree, though, that the quiet concentration of the fans coupled with the explosion when something happens is part of what makes Rec Hall special.

I could see some uptempo Coltrane for Mesenbrink's matches, btw.

Reactions: PASLP2 and hlstone
Stealing from other programs is an Ohio State specialty.
Definitely open to inspiration too. I like the student chants they started last year or the year before--but would love for something to break the silence above the floor. I'm really into jazz in the background as @hlstone & @86PSUPaul suggested, but I'm weird like that.

Reactions: hlstone
Dammit. If they are going to play music:

German industrial speed metal.

I imagine the relentless percussion of Rammstein is what's it's like to be sent to slaughter against Starocci

Reactions: Ski
Definitely open to inspiration too. I like the student chants they started last year or the year before--but would love for something to break the silence above the floor. I'm really into jazz in the background as @hlstone & @86PSUPaul suggested, but I'm weird like that.
A downside to music: if it had been played in Rec Hall 10 years ago, that one guy never would've blurted out "You can't handle The Ruth!".

I'm really into jazz in the background as @hlstone & @86PSUPaul suggested, but I'm weird like that.
Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

I thought the music, cheerleaders, and band were great in Corvallis. Only been to Rec one time twelve or so years ago so can't make much judgment.

I saw a post on Facebook that the PSU wrestlers witnessed Oregon State doing it in Corvallis, they liked it, and now they want to start doing it back in State College. Not sure how true that is, but it may be the new norm.
This is true. I am an usher in Rec. Hall and we were informed the music was requested by the wrestlers and coaches. You are correct that Oregon State was doing it during our recent match with them and our wrestlers liked it.

I think it’s definitely too quiet. Seems like there are a lot of people don’t appreciate anyone getting too vocal.. No doubt part of this is the fans just wanting to watch the match. To me the music was unexpected more than bothersome.

I cannot remember the last time I was at a sporting event when the crowd was consistently loud during play, outside of when the home football team was on defense.

That's you?

Better than SBD and I'm not talking about this:

The Rec Hall crowd has a decent amount of older fans at every match. I think this adds to the quiet atmosphere as these veteran wrestling fans tend to not get very worked up. I've heard it gently referred to as a "knowledgable crowd." Rec Hall could be much more intimidating if it were louder - I have to agree with Cael!!

I'll take John Coltrane any day over the damn rap music they played at the Big10s in Michigan.

I work 60 concerts a year, all types of music. The rap at Michigan I think was being sponsored by Advil.
pFeqPHd.gif

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT