ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota is good.

Michigan State beat Akron & Western Michigan which is meaningless. They hung in with #18 Washington then got beat by Minnesota.

Minnesota beat 3 very weak teams but their win over Michigan State seems impressive.

PSU beat 2-2 Purdue that needed a late fumble recovery to beat Florida Atlantic. They beat Auburn who barely beat San Jose who barely beat Portland. Auburn needed a dumb fumble (no contact) to beat Missouri. PSU was beating CMU 21-14 at half. Oklahoma Stat was beating CMU 44-15 at half.

IMO PSU has yet to beat a good team. We know that PSU has lots of young talent/speed but we have no idea how they'll hold up against the top teams.
If you watched the game, Michigan State didn’t really hang with Washington. It was a blowout into the Huskies lost their edge. If I remember correctly, it was 36-8 in the third quarter before MSU started scoring to make it look closer than it was.

Last edited:
Analysts say:
1) OSU, 2) Michigan, 3) Minnesota, 4) Penn State

It's hard to argue with that. PSU's wins at Purdue and Auburn aren't looking so great right now and Northwestern just lost to Miami of Ohio. Who knows how good PSU is at this point?

Really? And who precisely has Minn beat? MSU is 2-2 and they look like they'll be lucky to record a winning record - their Pass D is dreadful.

Reactions: marshall23
Really? And who precisely has Minn beat? MSU is 2-2 and they look like they'll be lucky to record a winning record - their Pass D is dreadful.
Minny's first 3 wins were 0-9 going into yesterday. MSU vs Auburn would be a game.

Now 1-12 with a victory over Duquesne.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctornick
If you watched the game, Michigan State did t really hang with Washington. It was a blowout into the Huskies lost their edge. If I remember correctly, it was 36-8 in the third quarter before MSU started scoring to make it look closer than it was.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an opportunity to push a nonsensical point.

Michigan State beat Akron & Western Michigan which is meaningless. They hung in with #18 Washington then got beat by Minnesota.

Minnesota beat 3 very weak teams but their win over Michigan State seems impressive.

PSU beat 2-2 Purdue that needed a late fumble recovery to beat Florida Atlantic. They beat Auburn who barely beat San Jose who barely beat Portland. Auburn needed a dumb fumble (no contact) to beat Missouri. PSU was beating CMU 21-14 at half. Oklahoma Stat was beating CMU 44-15 at half.

IMO PSU has yet to beat a good team. We know that PSU has lots of young talent/speed but we have no idea how they'll hold up against the top teams.

how is their win over msu any more impressive than ours over Auburn? (I’m not arguing that either is “impressive”) Msu got boatraced by an at the time unranked opponent and scored late touchdowns after it was sealed to make the final score somewhat respectable.

Last edited:
Who has PSU beat?

That's not a negative comment. We play who we play. We thought Purdue and Auburn were good teams but it doesn't look like it right now.

They hung in with #18 Washington then got beat by Minnesota.

Michigan State was down 29-8 at halftime versus Washington and 36-14 after 3 quarters. I would hardly classify that as hanging in with Washington.

Reactions: bdgan
Ok, I don't get what you are saying. Minnesota looks really good right now...Tamu and Miami don't. Nobody is calling Minny a playoff team, but anyone who thinks they don't look good isn't watching football.
I've been watching Minny VERY closely and they are STRONG AF! Tanner Morgan is a top QB and Ibrahim is a HORSE. Their back up RB is even good. Their TE is a stud and ball hawk. The Minny D is ranked top in the country or close to it. They have annihilated the spread the past two weeks. Fleck is a man on a mission. They are far and away the second best team we play this year. If the White out game was today, I predict the spread would be PSU -4 or -5. And I would be worried. I'm curious what others would think. Minny is the real deal 4 sho. Imagine if they still had their BEST wide receiver?!!? Scary.

I've been watching Minny VERY closely and they are STRONG AF! Tanner Morgan is a top QB and Ibrahim is a HORSE. Their back up RB is even good. Their TE is a stud and ball hawk. The Minny D is ranked top in the country or close to it. They have annihilated the spread the past two weeks. Fleck is a man on a mission. They are far and away the second best team we play this year. If the White out game was today, I predict the spread would be PSU -4 or -5. And I would be worried. I'm curious what others would think. Minny is the real deal 4 sho. Imagine if they still had their BEST wide receiver?!!? Scary.
Agreed....they look focused and balanced, which they have to be in that run heavy offense. I know they haven't beaten a very good team yet, but they have looked great in all four of their games. Should be a big time game at the white out. We'll have to see how it shakes out if they truly will be the second best team we face...I still think winning at michigan, and the sheer challenge of that, might make that our 2nd toughest game. Take away the covid year, and JF hasn't won at Michigan during a 'real season,' and the games in AA have been a house of horrors.

Last edited:

FYI - Aidan O'Connell was out against Fl At with some injury at Cuse. They lost to us bc of sound drive by Cliff and bad clock mgt. They lost to Cuse bc of dumb penalties after took lead with 50s left. What team has a player AND coach get unsportsmanlike penalties after x-tra point. They kicked from own 10 and gave Cuse ball inside 50. Not soundly coached but dangerous offense. If Aidan plays this week then MN game proves if bad afterall.

MSU without Kenneth Walker barely beat a Pitt team playing with a third string qb in the bowl game last year. They clearly are a totally different team without him because now Thorne is being exposed to being just an average qb while playing without a great rb. In other words, this MSU team right now isn't very good, and Minnesota just did to them what they probably should have, and I don't mean to infer that the Gophers are a mediocre team or anything; I fully expect them to win their division.

My guess is that PSU would've beaten MSU by a similar score as they beat Auburn if we had played them last Saturday.

Last edited:
Northwestern barely beat Nebraska, which right now is arguably the worst team in the entire conference.

I agree, MSU did not "hang" with Washington, they were down 29-8 at the half and down 36-14 at the end of the 3rd quarter. MSU got a couple late TDs in junk time to make it look halfway competitive.

If PSU loses to NW then they deserve to be unranked. If they lose to UM and then collapse and lose to Minny, then they again deserve to be unranked. And if they win over UM and then let it go to their head and lose to Minny, then they will suffer for it. No excuse, if PSU wants to be a CFP contender then they will have to earn it.

Their line is massive, TM is short range accurate, running backs are Big 10, good. They face a pass happy Purdue this week, followed by an Illinois team who seems to improve each week. The Illinois game will be more of an indicator, BB likes those big on big games.

Their line is massive, TM is short range accurate, running backs are Big 10, good. They face a pass happy Purdue this week, followed by an Illinois team who seems to improve each week. The Illinois game will be more of an indicator, BB likes those big on big games.
Illinois is a late fourth quarter collapse at Indiana from being undefeated. Bielema really has turned that program around quickly. I like that fact that they emphasize the running game like he did at Wisconsin. I easily could see them becoming a dominant force in that division because they have probably the most fertile recruiting base out of all of the schools in that division.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Minny killed us with quick slants and if we jumped that route, continued with a skinny post. The challenge was blitzing if they did a quick slant, and not blitzing if it goes to a skinny post. We've got better CBs now but that is where they are going to attack in the pass game. And with their dynamic running game, going to be quite a challenge for our S's and CBs.

No excuse, if PSU wants to be a CFP contender then they will have to earn it.

Obvious take is obvious… No one is contending for the CFP out of the big ten east without earning it.

considering the preseason predictions thread I find it interesting that Franklin is now going to get criticized if/when the door shuts on playoff contention for the season despite naysayers expecting nothing close to it 4 weeks ago.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Obvious take is obvious… No one is contending for the CFP out of the big ten east without earning it.

considering the preseason predictions thread I find it interesting that Franklin is now going to get criticized if/when the door shuts on playoff contention for the season despite naysayers expecting nothing close to it 4 weeks ago.

The goalposts are moving as usual.... They do the same with teams/games we play - prior to the season starting, Purdue and Auburn were going to beat us.... and we'd be lucky to win 6 games. Now Purdue and Auburn are awful.... blah, blah, blah...

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Minny first 3 opponents were 0-9. Besides my reference is to the most difficult games on their schedule. Are you telling me their schedule is as difficult as Penn States? Do you think they don't catch a break not playing Ohio State nor Michigan?
Well a true break would be swapping PSU for Rutgers, but I digress.

They are a good team. How good? They've played nobody. MSU is 2-2 and doesn't look very good this year. They look like the best team in the west, though. Wisconsin and Iowa are having down years. Purdue doesn't look anything like the team we played. I'd say that there are three, maybe for teams better in the East (tOSU, UM, PSU and maybe MD).
Fair assessment! We really don't know how good our team is yet. I can say that the team has looked good and not beat themselves. That's about all I can say.

Reactions: Obliviax
Analysts say:
1) OSU, 2) Michigan, 3) Minnesota, 4) Penn State

It's hard to argue with that. PSU's wins at Purdue and Auburn aren't looking so great right now and Northwestern just lost to Miami of Ohio. Who knows how good PSU is at this point?

And after Northwestern and the bye, we have all three in a row with OSU and Minny at home......

That White Out date with MN is starting to look like a really good idea.

Tanner Morgan was studly last weekend. He isn't going to play every game that way.

In just 5 short weeks away, we will have all the answers we need.

Fair assessment! We really don't know how good our team is yet. I can say that the team has looked good and not beat themselves. That's about all I can say.
The same can be said about PSU. Our Signature games have been Purdue and Auburn, and we beat two MAC teams we should have beat. I don’t know how good Michigan State is, they may not be very good, however, the way Minnesota beat them was impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT