ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you would prefer the PSU football records the 20 years before Franklin to his 10 year record.

I think people who support Franklin do a huge disservice to him every time they bring up Paterno. Paterno's running games and defenses would pound on Franklin's teams. There, I said it.

The Paterno cult like yourself also do a disservice to joe. Joes team could not even pound on Toledo in 2001. They also lost to iowà 6-4. Joe pretty much lost to Iowa every year. I said it too.

The real problem is you are a joebot. That is why you complain about Franklin even when they win and beat teams like Iowa that consistently beat joe.

Joe would take a step back in today's game. Do you think he would be able to deal with NIL? Joe spent his last 10 years recruiting from a rocking chair. Pennsylvania also has about half as many blue chip recruits as when Joe took over.

All real fans would take 1994. Who cares about the other 19?

The joebots really don't care about winning. They are a cult and they won't be happy til joes corpse is propped up on the sidelines. They will complain about any coach. Obrien figured it out and fled.
1994 was great, but again it didn’t result in anything real. No NC that year just like the other 19.

All real fans would take 1994. Who cares about the other 19?

The joebots really don't care about winning. They are a cult and they won't be happy til joes corpse is propped up on the sidelines. They will complain about any coach. Obrien figured it out and fled.
It's hard watching todays game in comparisons that are not realistic. It's like asking Alabama fans to compare Bear Bryant with Nick Saban. People would be sayin "you people won't be happy until the Bears' dead corpse is propped up on the sideline. Problem is the game is no longer the same and has not been for some time. You used to root for players for 4 years. Now you can't even keep up with the names of the players, and it seems like they change teams every year. IMO, it's worse than the pros!

The Paterno cult like yourself also do a disservice to joe. Joes team could not even pound on Toledo in 2001. They also lost to iowà 6-4. Joe pretty much lost to Iowa every year. I said it too.

The real problem is you are a joebot. That is why you complain about Franklin even when they win and beat teams like Iowa that consistently beat joe.

Joe would take a step back in today's game. Do you think he would be able to deal with NIL? Joe spent his last 10 years recruiting from a rocking chair. Pennsylvania also has about half as many blue chip recruits as when Joe took over.

I think Paterno would have thrived with NIL. He was easily one of the best fundraisers ever. When he wanted money for something, people ponied up. Also, NIL and the portal allows bigger recruiting classes, and Paterno thrived when he had class sizes in the 20-25 range.

Reactions: PSUPride1
1994 was great, but again it didn’t result in anything real. No NC that year just like the other 19.

He also would have had several appearances in the final 4, and those were in his supposed over the hill later years.

Reactions: PSUPride1
They will complain about any coach. O'Brien figured it out and fled.

That is NOT why O'Brien "fled." If memory serves, he was duped by those who hired him. They apparently were not forthcoming about the extent of the sanctions. In fact, if we must speculate, who in their right mind would want to work for an employer that willfully sabotaged the future of its football team in order to protect itself from scrutiny?

Bill got a huge NFL contract. He would have been insane to stay.

Do you like big loses? 1999 Minnesota ring your bell?
Joe stayed too long and the dark years in the early 2000s were painful but....

Joe averaged just under 10 wins over his last 7 seasons. During that time he had 3 top 10 teams and 2 BiG titles.

Joe also struggled to beat OSU & UM but he did much better than Franklin. Joe also won twice as many bowl games than he lost.

So if you're suggesting that Franklin has been a lot better than Joe you should rethink your position.

Joe stayed too long and the dark years in the early 2000s were painful but....

Joe averaged just under 10 wins over his last 7 seasons. During that time he had 3 top 10 teams and 2 BiG titles.

Joe also struggled to beat OSU & UM but he did much better than Franklin. Joe also won twice as many bowl games than he lost.

So if you're suggesting that Franklin has been a lot better than Joe you should rethink your position.
And OSU was not as dominant most of those years and Michigan wasn’t as dominant as they’ve been in the last three years.

And OSU was not as dominant most of those years and Michigan wasn’t as dominant as they’ve been in the last three years.
Probably true but Franklin is paid $8m/yr to keep up with the competition.

Reactions: rwdpsu

And Paterno would have been able to correct his recruiting mistakes of the late 90s early 2000s quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
the program of the 80s and 90s, yes absolutely would take that back

the 2000s ... no thank you. a few memorable victories but mostly remember the offense being a total clown show

I was happy with the offensive philosophy post 2005. Imagine being able to bring in a qb to throw to DWill, Butler, and Norwood instead of Morelli. With those defenses, look out.

I was happy with the offensive philosophy post 2005. Imagine being able to bring in a qb to throw to DWill, Butler, and Norwood instead of Morelli. With those defenses, look out.
well Morelli was a 5 star qb. a lot of excitement when he was recruited. so now you get into whether the recruiting rankings have ever been worth squat

Ok let's look at it. The "20 years before" Franklin. Not sure what you mean exactly, are you talking about 1994-2014? That's "20 years" exactly. So, if you mean 1994-2013, then .....

1994 Undefeated. Yep, better than Franklin.
1995 9-3. Par
1996 10-2. Better than Franklins AVERAGE(9-3)
1997 9-3. Par
1998 9-3. Par
1999 9-3. Par
2000 through 2004. HELL NO. I WILL TAKE FRANKLIN.
2005 11-1. BETTER THAN JAMES
06 AND 07 Morelli years hell no.
08 and 09. . better than James
10 through 13 HELL NO I take Franklin.

So, a mixed bag and you were very clever to frame your timeline to include the dark years 😂😂😂

But that aside, overall Franklin has been slightly better than the version of Paterno that stayed way too long, and Billy, who did more damage than good.

We can still do better, but {Mark Richt} Errrr, I mean James Franklin has done a good job, not great.

Ok let's look at it. The "20 years before" Franklin. Not sure what you mean exactly, are you talking about 1994-2014? That's "20 years" exactly. So, if you mean 1994-2013, then .....

1994 Undefeated. Yep, better than Franklin.
1995 9-3. Par
1996 10-2. Better than Franklins AVERAGE(9-3)
1997 9-3. Par
1998 9-3. Par
1999 9-3. Par
2000 through 2004. HELL NO. I WILL TAKE FRANKLIN.
2005 11-1. BETTER THAN JAMES
06 AND 07 Morelli years hell no.
08 and 09. . better than James
10 through 13 HELL NO I take Franklin.

So, a mixed bag and you were very clever to frame your timeline to include the dark years 😂😂😂

But that aside, overall Franklin has been slightly better than the version of Paterno that stayed way too long, and Billy, who did more damage than good.

We can still do better, but {Mark Richt} Errrr, I mean James Franklin has done a good job, not great.
agree with this. forgot how '96 was a nice season. i think they beat texas in a bowl game

well Morelli was a 5 star qb. a lot of excitement when he was recruited. so now you get into whether the recruiting rankings have ever been worth squat

I have been on record many times, and given my reasons why, stating I don't think they are worth squat.

I have been on record many times, and given my reasons why, stating I don't think they are worth squat.
Ironically Morelli suffered from a similar psychological situation that Allar suffers from. Mental weakness and freezing under pressure games.

Ironically Morelli suffered from a similar psychological situation that Allar suffers from. Mental weakness and freezing under pressure games.

Morelli couldn't read the field. He constantly had receivers running free. It was a miracle of coaching they were able to get 9 wins out of him twice, and don't get me started on being down to true freshman Bolden.

Reactions: Psubiomed
I don't care if Franklin is better or worse than Joe. All I want is to be able to believe that PSU will be competitive in a big game. I don't feel that way with Franklin. I always felt that way with Paterno. Sure Paterno lost some games, everybody does, but I always thought PSU had a chance.

I think people who support Franklin do a huge disservice to him every time they bring up Paterno. Paterno's running games and defenses would pound on Franklin's teams. There, I said it.
LOL. You mean like they “pounded” on Alabama from the 1 on 4 straight times in the 1978 National Championship game?

That’s great. This is 2024.
IIRC Joe was the 2nd lowest paid coach in the BiG. Frankin is 3rd.

I'm not here to dis on Franklin. I'm just disputing the suggestion that he's a lot better than Joe.

I think Paterno would have thrived with NIL. He was easily one of the best fundraisers ever. When he wanted money for something, people ponied up. Also, NIL and the portal allows bigger recruiting classes, and Paterno thrived when he had class sizes in the 20-25 range.
He would not have liked the 85 scholarship limit. He'd offer kids just so they wouldn't attend Pitt or Syracuse.

If your primary asset is a big arm and you are not much of a runner then a pro style attack is required to take advantage of the arm. Morelli, Hackenberg and now Allar are not suited for the style of offense Jay "Spread HD" Paterno in the case of Morelli, and now Franklin seem to prefer. Chalk that up to not recruiting to populate your style. Amazingly once Darryl Clark a dual threat QB took over in the Alamo Bowl in 2007 things rolled until he graduated. 2008 Big Ten Champs and a 2009 victory over LSU in the Citrus Bowl.

Probably true but Franklin is paid $8m/yr to keep up with the competition.
If you rank salaries Franklin is finishing each season right about where he should be. After this round of raises and extensions post Saban fallout Franklin will be considered underpaid and 3-4 coaches are about to jump ahead of him.

Do you like big loses? 1999 Minnesota ring your bell?
Joes teams during his twilight years (which is what you’re comparing to Franklin’s prime years) would sprinkle in, at the least, a few B10 championship seasons and big wins over OSU or UM. Something Franklin doesn’t do. Give me the Joe twilight years over the Franklin prime years. One assures you a championship or two and some memorable wins. The other assures you consistent mediocrity, which is a horrible world to live in.

Reactions: 91Joe95
IIRC Joe was the 2nd lowest paid coach in the BiG. Frankin is 3rd.

I'm not here to dis on Franklin. I'm just disputing the suggestion that he's a lot better than Joe.
IIRC nobody knew what Joe was getting paid because only a portion of it was ever made public. I believe whatever sponsors like Nike were paying him was kept private. Regardless, salaries increase over time and that era of coaches doing more with less is long, long gone. Comparing Joe's salary to today's coaching salaries is pointless. You'd need to compare Joe vs. his peers at the time and the job market to Franklin vs. his peers and market. I'd argue that coaches juggling transfers and NIL deserve more than their prior peers. Being a college coach is a nightmare, it's easier to coach in the NFL where you just get to coach football and don't have to recruit your own roster all the time.

Reactions: Yanks49
I don't care if Franklin is better or worse than Joe. All I want is to be able to believe that PSU will be competitive in a big game. I don't feel that way with Franklin. I always felt that way with Paterno. Sure Paterno lost some games, everybody does, but I always thought PSU had a chance.
PSU was consistently competitive in big games for the first half of Joe’s career. The second half of his career was 4 good seasons mixed with 16 years of mediocrity or worse.

Joe had losing records against Ferentz, Carr, and John F’ing Cooper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT