ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you would prefer the PSU football records the 20 years before Franklin to his 10 year record.

the president wasn't going to make any move that rocked the boat. Joe was the better bureaucratic infighter. it is clear that's the only reason he kept his job after those horrible seasons

If that's the case then why fault the AD? I believe anyone can view the situation the way they want, I wasn’t there to witness it. I simply seriously doubt Joe engaged in any 'bureaucratic infighting.' To me that implies using either threats or leverage, and someone coming out on top. Joe always struck me as a straight shooter who had earned trust, and could provide convincing arguments.

Reactions: bdgan and hoflane
If that's the case then why fault the AD? I believe anyone can view the situation the way they want, I wasn’t there to witness it. I simply seriously doubt Joe engaged in any 'bureaucratic infighting.' To me that implies using either threats or leverage, and someone coming out on top. Joe always struck me as a straight shooter who had earned trust, and could provide convincing arguments.
I just stated that the AD was an empty suit. he was, and almost nobody at all was a fan of him at the time. his tenure as PSU AD was not great and he was indecisive at the wrong times. a stronger AD would have fired Paterno after 2003.

No risk no reward.

You want to be a such a puss then fine, doesn't mean that any change will automatically fail. Franklin has had 10 years, how much longer do you think is reasonable?
there is pretty much zero that can be done due to the stupid contract that psu locked itself into. unfortunately nothing can really happen after 2024 or 2025 either. PSU has only itself to blame. really its about waiting until after the 2026 or 2027 season until it's not cost-prohibitive to make a change, and even then it's still very expensive

there is pretty much zero that can be done due to the stupid contract that psu locked itself into. unfortunately nothing can really happen after 2024 or 2025 either. PSU has only itself to blame. really its about waiting until after the 2026 or 2027 season until it's not cost-prohibitive to make a change, and even then it's still very expensive
Understood and agree. PSU is between a rock and a hard place for the near future. Does not mean we should remain silent or quit holding him accountable. He needs to accept some degree of ownership for his blatant errors.

Reactions: hoflane
Understood and agree. PSU is between a rock and a hard place for the near future. Does not mean we should remain silent or quit holding him accountable. He needs to accept some degree of ownership for his blatant errors.
if he can't make the 12-team playoff next year, I don't know what psu should do. at that point, the best thing for all involved would be if Franklin left on his own for another HC job, but he wouldn't be in high demand.

2005, 2008, and probably 2011, and that's post dark years.
2011 they still hadn't played the toughest games. Even with Paterno they are probably dropping 1 or two games and not moving into the top 4 from #8. They ended up losing 3 out of the last 4 but magically you have them winning them including the one they lost 45-7.

2008 Penn State was ranked 6th in the final poll before the bowl games. There is no way they were going to pass an 11-1 USC or 12-1 Alabama.

2005 Was the only year they were in the top 4 the last week of the season.

You have to go back to 1994 to find the next time Penn State was ranked in the final 4.

In fact in his last 30 years of coaching Paterno would have only made the play offs 4 times. 2005, 1994, 1986 and 1982. Going through his entire career he would have also made it in 1978, 1969, and 1968. So in 47 seasons he would have made the play off 7 times. People act like Penn State was some perennial power house under Paterno when in fact they had more seasons where they finished unranked (11) then made the play offs (7).

Last edited:
2011 they still hadn't played the toughest games. Even with Paterno they are probably dropping 1 or two games and not moving into the top 4 from #8. They ended up losing 3 out of the last 4 but magically you have them winning them including the one they lost 45-7.

2008 Penn State was ranked 6th in the final poll before the bowl games. There is no way they were going to pass an 11-1 USC or 12-1 Alabama.

You have to go back to 1994 to find the next time Penn State was ranked in the final 4.

In fact in his last 30 years of coaching Paterno would have only made the play offs 4 times. 2005, 1994, 1986 and 1982. Going through his entire career he would have also made it in 1978, 1969, and 1968. So in 47 seasons he would have made the play off 7 times. People act like Penn State was some perennial power house under Paterno when in fact they had more seasons where they finished unranked (11) then made the play offs (7).
Enough with the playoff talk comparison. It didn’t exist then. There is no comparison. It exists now and we still haven’t participated. How are we doing sooo much better now?

Reactions: GregInPitt
I’m simply exp

Those are your words, not mine. I don’t agree with that at all. There are many coaches who are worth providing an opportunity to.
Your words were “NC caliber coach”, that leaves the coaches I listed, unless we’re pulling someone out of retirement or out of the grave.

No risk no reward.

You want to be a such a puss then fine, doesn't mean that any change will automatically fail. Franklin has had 10 years, how much longer do you think is reasonable?
History kind of shows it will fail because it does more than it succeeds. I have no say in the matter, so I’m not sure how that makes me a puss. And I don’t know how much longer, it depends on how we do in each season. I certainly don’t think we should fire a coach for winning 21 games in two years…I know, crazy. If we go 8-4 and 7-5 in the next two years my opinion will be different than if we go 10-2 and 10-2.

And when he goes 26-33 in a five year span then come and talk to me.
Here’s your beloved CJF. Morally and ethically superior to Joe? Laughable.

Four Vanderbilt football players were arrested on August 9, 2013, and charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.[15] They took graphic photos and videos of the rape.[16] BuzzFeed reported that Franklin encouraged [17] a player to delete graphic footage of the rape after viewing it. Franklin denied the accusation. In court testimony, Franklin admitted to changing his story about whether he told Vanderbilt players that he had viewed a video recording of the incident.[18]

Reactions: GregInPitt

Four Vanderbilt football players were arrested on August 9, 2013, and charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.[15] They took graphic photos and videos of the rape.[16] BuzzFeed reported that Franklin encouraged [17] a player to delete graphic footage of the rape after viewing it. Franklin denied the accusation. In court testimony, Franklin admitted to changing his story about whether he told Vanderbilt players that he had viewed a video recording of the incident.[18]
Oh good lord. Do you really want to get into something the media said about a coach when comparing him to Paterno? Really? You would think a fan of PSU would learn to take these stories with a grain of salt.

History kind of shows it will fail because it does more than it succeeds. I have no say in the matter, so I’m not sure how that makes me a puss. And I don’t know how much longer, it depends on how we do in each season. I certainly don’t think we should fire a coach for winning 21 games in two years…I know, crazy. If we go 8-4 and 7-5 in the next two years my opinion will be different than if we go 10-2 and 10-2.
Yeah, a new hire might challenge Franklin's record 5 loss start. Or a 7-6 follow-up. Not to mention that a new coach might take some personal responsibility for lack of success. No, much better to deride anyone that makes a statement that is not flattering about your coach. I do notice that you don't hesitate to take a dump on other coaches, even Saban, when trying to prop up Franklin.

There will come a time when even you will become sick of "nothing is my fault Franklin".

Yeah, a new hire might challenge Franklin's record 5 loss start. Or a 7-6 follow-up. Not to mention that a new coach might take some personal responsibility for lack of success. No, much better to deride anyone that makes a statement that is not flattering about your coach. I do notice that you don't hesitate to take a dump on other coaches, even Saban, when trying to prop up Franklin.

There will come a time when even you will become sick of "nothing is my fault Franklin".
When have I ever said anything negative about Saban? I am way less knee jerk about coaches than posters on this board. Not every loss is a coach’s fault and not every win is brilliant coaching.

Reactions: 91Joe95
This was entertaining gentleman, thank you.

I Think it will be interesting when we are ranked 5-6-8 or something like that and loose to a lower ranked team. It will be really entertaining then and it will be eye opening and humbling for some.

In fairness Joe inherited a program that was relatively unknown on a national level. I think the stadium held a little over 40k fans at the time. Franklin inherited a program that was handicapped by sanctions but was considered a national powerhouse, had very good facilities, and one of the most loyal fan bases in the country. It's almost impossible to compare the two.

• Love
Reactions: 91Joe95 and hoflane
This was entertaining gentleman, thank you.

I Think it will be interesting when we are ranked 5-6-8 or something like that and loose to a lower ranked team. It will be really entertaining then and it will be eye opening and humbling for some.
Even more interesting would be if we beat OSU but lose to an unranked team….that would be entertaining.

Oh good lord. Do you really want to get into something the media said about a coach when comparing him to Paterno? Really? You would think a fan of PSU would learn to take these stories with a grain of salt.

Completely agree. It's only mildly interesting because in 2011, Franklin, even though unfairly, would have been disqualified from the psu job. That's not a knock on Franklin, just an observation of how the bot aholes were operating.

They wouldn't be making a change now anyway, even if the buyout was more friendly. Franklin isn't going anywhere, much to the dismay of many of you here.

As a PSU fan you should know better and do more investigating. Goodness what a stupid post.

I just stated that the AD was an empty suit. he was, and almost nobody at all was a fan of him at the time. his tenure as PSU AD was not great and he was indecisive at the wrong times. a stronger AD would have fired Paterno after 2003.
Was that Tim Curley? I think Joe was responsible for him getting the job at PSU. He was not firing Joe. I don't think any AD was firing Joe at that point.

Was that Tim Curley? I think Joe was responsible for him getting the job at PSU. He was not firing Joe. I don't think any AD was firing Joe at that point.
Joe had a lot of loyal supporters / donors. I agree that it would have been difficult to fire him.

My guess is that Joe initially stayed because he didn't want to go out on a low note after 2000-2004. Then he continued to stay after a good run 2005-2011 because he wanted one more MNC. Of course that's just a guess.

Many ADs would have fired him. At that point he didn’t even know the names all the players on the team. I am not talking walk in but even contributors. He was a figure head and was often incoherent at press conferences. He quit recruiting which is a major part of the job. He freaking crapped his pants mid game. It was like the grandparent who everyone knows shouldn’t be driving anymore but no one had the guts to take away the keys.

Many ADs would have fired him. At that point he didn’t even know the names all the players on the team. I am not talking walk in but even contributors. He was a figure head and was often incoherent at press conferences. He quit recruiting which is a major part of the job. He freaking crapped his pants mid game. It was like the grandparent who everyone knows shouldn’t be driving anymore but no one had the guts to take away the keys.
That's overly harsh. During his last 7 years Paterno won nearly 10 games per year, 2 BiG titles, and 3 top 10 finishes. IIRC the 2012 recruiting class was ranked 6th until it fell apart due to the Sandusky mess.

I think most fans would agree that Joe stayed too long, especially consider his health issues. I think a lot of fans would even agree with some of what you said but there's no reason to exaggerate things.

Look at the players O'Brien inherited with his 8-4 record. Now add Fera. That alone would have been good for 2 more wins because we couldn't even kick XPs in the first 2 games. Now add RB Silas Redd to a team without a RB. Then add LB Khari Fortt and WR Justin Brown. That team would have had an excellent chance to win the BiG (for the 3rd time in 8 years).

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95 and hoflane
PSU was consistently competitive in big games for the first half of Joe’s career. The second half of his career was 4 good seasons mixed with 16 years of mediocrity or worse.

Joe had losing records against Ferentz, Carr, and John F’ing Cooper.
I may be totally off but IMHO The (football) mistake was joining the Big 10. Back then I saw nothing good football wise coming of it. Before then Paterno was competing for a national championship every 3,4,5 years and would have made the playoff quite a few times if there was a playoff. I didn't think he was going to be able to out recruit or even keep up with OSU and Michigan.

yeah. and i think most other ADs would have made a coaching change after 2003 or 2004. I don't think he was a very decisive AD.

I may be totally off but IMHO The (football) mistake was joining the Big 10. Back then I saw nothing good football wise coming of it. Before then Paterno was competing for a national championship every 3,4,5 years and would have made the playoff quite a few times if there was a playoff. I didn't think he was going to be able to out recruit or even keep up with OSU and Michigan.
Joe would have regularly made Rose Bowls from the late 60's through the mid 80's if we had been in the B10. That would have been a negative though because for example in '78 we would be stuck playing USC out in Pasadena and not Alabama. And guess what, both of us would win and no chance PSU gets even a split NC. We obviously lost the game so moot point but the same thing would have happened in '82 and '86. Also '85 but we lost that one also.

Our entry into the B10 coincided with the back end of his career and really after about '97 or so he should have retired.

Joe would have regularly made Rose Bowls from the late 60's through the mid 80's if we had been in the B10. That would have been a negative though because for example in '78 we would be stuck playing USC out in Pasadena and not Alabama. And guess what, both of us would win and no chance PSU gets even a split NC. We obviously lost the game so moot point but the same thing would have happened in '82 and '86. Also '85 but we lost that one also.

Our entry into the B10 coincided with the back end of his career and really after about '97 or so he should have retired.
If you genuinely believe the B10 would have allowed Joe to make the Rose Bowl regularly from the 60’s - 80’s I’ll respectfully disagree with you. Parity would have struck PSU far sooner than it has/had if Joe and PSU joined the B10 sooner. PSU wouldn’t be who they are if they wouldn’t have been an independent for as long as they were.

If you genuinely believe the B10 would have allowed Joe to make the Rose Bowl regularly from the 60’s - 80’s I’ll respectfully disagree with you. Parity would have struck PSU far sooner than it has/had if Joe and PSU joined the B10 sooner. PSU wouldn’t be who they are if they wouldn’t have been an independent for as long as they were.
agree. how many big ten teams were winning national titles in the 1980s? the ridiculous method of picking a national champion combined with the rose bowl tie-in meant very few big ten teams won the national title for a very long period of time

agree. how many big ten teams were winning national titles in the 1980s? the ridiculous method of picking a national champion combined with the rose bowl tie-in meant very few big ten teams won the national title for a very long period of time
What are you talking about? In the 70's there were 2 decent teams and 8 jokes in the B10. Penn State probably would have replaced Michigan in the Rose Bowl in the '77 and '78 seasons. They also would have had a great shot in '72, '73 and '74. You sound like some archaic B10 apologist who thinks the '77 Indiana team could easily beat the '77 PSU team just because they are in the B10 and midwest football was better.

What are you talking about? In the 70's there were 2 decent teams and 8 jokes in the B10. Penn State probably would have replaced Michigan in the Rose Bowl in the '77 and '78 seasons. They also would have had a great shot in '72, '73 and '74. You sound like some archaic B10 apologist who thinks the '77 Indiana team could easily beat the '77 PSU team just because they are in the B10 and midwest football was better.
You’re assuming all things remain constant if PSU had joined the B10 earlier. If, all things remained constant by changing one variable, then yes you’re right. However, all things rarely, if ever, remain constant if one variable is changed.

No, I am saying that the method of picking the CFB champion is ridiculous, and the Rose Bowl tie-in made it more difficult for B1G teams to play the right opponent to be named the champion (as we saw in 1994). That is why there were no national champions from the B1G between 1970 and 1997, while somehow BYU and Georgia Tech were able to win national titles in the same period.

No, I am saying that the method of picking the CFB champion is ridiculous, and the Rose Bowl tie-in made it more difficult for B1G teams to play the right opponent to be named the champion (as we saw in 1994). That is why there were no national champions from the B1G between 1970 and 1997, while somehow BYU and Georgia Tech were able to win national titles in the same period.
Yeah that is what I said in my first post.
In '78 we would never have gotten a chance at Bama and even if we won the Rose Bowl that year they would have shafted PSU and Joe and crowned Bear Bryant and Alabama unanimous national champions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT