ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands

Brooks looked to be out of gas. Looked like grabbing that leg looking for a reversal wasn't the way to go. Nice match by Christensen though, took it to him.

Brooks looked to be out of gas. Looked like grabbing that leg looking for a reversal wasn't the way to go. Nice match by Christensen though, took it to him.

agree, i was like no...no...dont do it...but...oh well

Reactions: diggerpup
Welcome to college wrestling Mr. Brooks. Hang on your head gear for 2 periods without as much as a half shot then go for the ride out. With a year in the room he'll tech that guy.

the head gear bugs me...lets get that fixed.

if brooks wrestles back to 3rd thats 4 more matches...if ....that happens thats a heckuva weekend

Reactions: Grass
If they meet again tomorrow, I got Brooks in the rematch...he gets more aggressive and grabs a TD or two next time around. Christensen made him wrestle his match, doubt it happens again

Reactions: danoftw
Aaron is doing great! What awesome experience for a young wrestler, going toe to toe with upperclassmen in a top notch tournament. I'm sure he is learning a lot and soaking it all in. There will be big dividends regardless of the results.

Reactions: crockster
Christensen is very good on top. Brooks would have been far better taking neutral in the third.
But does that really matter?

I was glad to see him take down even though I figured it would turn out bad for him against Christiansen, who is long and good on top. Down 1-0 in 3rd, little riding time, is Cenzo, Hall, Nickal going to take neutral against anyone? (Didnt put Nolf in there as he had never been down 1-0 in his life). That's a situation where you need to earn a relatively quick escape and the great ones do it in important situations.

Hes at the Midlands to challenge himself and learn. Taking down in that situation versus taking neutral which makes a win much more likely, shows me they have the right mindset.

I'm not one of these always "take down" guys either. I'm often critical of the move strategically when you are trying to win the match. But the move was a good one today.

Down 1-0 in 3rd, little riding time, is Cenzo, Hall, Nickal going to take neutral against anyone? (Didnt put Nolf in there as he had never been down 1-0 in his life).
In fairness, RBY has taken feet every single time this year.

Regardless, am glad Brooks took down. So what if he lost? He has bigger goals than 2018 Midlands. This was purely a development opportunity.

But does that really matter?

I was glad to see him take down even though I figured it would turn out bad for him against Christiansen, who is long and good on top. Down 1-0 in 3rd, little riding time, is Cenzo, Hall, Nickal going to take neutral against anyone? (Didnt put Nolf in there as he had never been down 1-0 in his life). That's a situation where you need to earn a relatively quick escape and the great ones do it in important situations.

Hes at the Midlands to challenge himself and learn. Taking down in that situation versus taking neutral which makes a win much more likely, shows me they have the right mindset.

I'm not one of these always "take down" guys either. I'm often critical of the move strategically when you are trying to win the match. But the move was a good one today.
Yep, all this. To echo PSU-team-speak, the Result is subordinate to the Process. No better time to challenge yourself than at a tournament, unattached, against AA-caliber guys.

Not making excuses, but I wonder if he really did get dinged up a little. He had quite an arsenal and didn't show much in that match. If so, explains the FF.
If not, he's still fun to watch.

Reactions: diggerpup
Yep, all this. To echo PSU-team-speak, the Result is subordinate to the Process. No better time to challenge yourself than at a tournament, unattached, against AA-caliber guys.
To be fair, there may be a better time to challenge yourself. For example, when you have a big lead and aren’t trying to eke out a close, tactical win. ;)

I think that the logic of taking down for a learning experience is quite possibly a myth. Did he really learn anything about getting out after getting ridden for the entire period? Take neutral if it gives you the best chance for the win. You can learn and improve while winning as well.

PS - He is truly our next GOAT! Can't wait to see him in a PSU singlet!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT