ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan State Dual Thread

Seriously, the whining about the officiating here is nauseating. The officiating in the Haines OT was fine:
  • The locking hands call by the assistant ref was fine - that is what he is supposed to be looking for and when they hit the mat in the body lock Levi was locked for a split second. They reviewed and got the call right. Saldate was at 90 degrees for a second where the lock was fine and Levi released it as he moved out of 90 into a different position. The refs worked together and the call ended up corrected.
  • Levi stopped the stall count himself by turning back into Saldate to grab for ankles when he was dropped down on the leg. He did it twice - which was a brain fart when you only have 30 seconds to escape. The ref picked it back up when he was supposed to.
  • The stall call on Levi in the 2nd OT was also correct. It was for failure to attempt to return to the mat, not just a judgment stalling call. Saldate was on his feet and Levi was holding on in a front headlock. You can't just stand there forever holding that position when you are on top.
Nice win by Levi gutting that out. Typical and why he was a national finalist. If there is a concern, it is finishing as @RB-Old pointed out above. Saldate's TD was off of a shot Levi couldn't finish and he had a few other offensive attacks that almost turned into Saldate points. As @El-Jefe pointed out, Saldate is pretty athletic and dangerous.
Disagree.

I get missing a locked hands call. I don’t get making one up.

Disagree on your analysis of the ankle stall. There was complete separation except ankle and it doesn’t matter anyway.

And for something you find nauseating, you wrote more about it than everyone else combined.

Haines was holding on to a front headlock while they were both standing. I’m not going to say it wasn’t stalling. But one second left? I guess stalling is stalling wherever it happens.
Yes!

People who say things like "he can't be stalling with 1 sec left" or "he can't be stalling now because he took all the shots earlier," can't complain that the refs don't call stalling enough.

Levi's sheer will to win is truly unbelievable to be honest. It's easy to fold when you're the heavily favored and look finished.

Would I prefer he dominates? Yes, we always do but I have to give him his flowers. Not sure I've seen a PSU wrestler quite like this, maybe Cenzo? Though, Cenzo never gave me this level of heart attack.

The announcers remind me of a similar pair of announcers years ago during a Nebraska streaming match - when a wrestler started on top they actually excitedly said “he has the takedown but they’re not going to give it to him!”…lord help us

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Levi's sheer will to win is truly unbelievable to be honest. It's easy to fold when you're the heavily favored and look finished.

Would I prefer he dominates? Yes, we always do but I have to give him his flowers. Not sure I've seen a PSU wrestler quite like this, maybe Cenzo? Though, Cenzo never gave me this level of heart attack.
Zain. Especially freshman year, but he had some real gut-check wins after his shirt too.

Well, people love to beat on him and expect him to win by bonus in every match, but Bartlett has a habit of gut-check wins too and until he loses one that he shouldn't, I'll be impressed.

Reactions: mcpat
Disagree.

And for something you find nauseating, you wrote more about it than everyone else combined.
He didn't make it up. The assistant ref's job is to look for locked hands. He looked under and saw locked hands - which they were. He was not in position to see Saldate's body position.

Unfortunately, by the time the head ref sees the lock hands call by the assistant, the body position had changed. Circumstance of events, corrected by replay.

This is exactly how the ref and the assistant ref are supposed to work. Locked hands on mat return (and in all advantage positions) is something they instruct the assistant ref to look for.

He gave up zero point zero TDs at the NWCA All-Star.
You are correct! Sorry. I was recalling that late exchange with Sloan that Sloan had nearly converted and even looked like he had at one point, but time ran out.

Didn't see this posted earlier SIAP

174- Barraclough vs. DJ Shannon

P1:
A little action, but no scoring

P2:
Barraclough down
Barraclough quick escape 1-0
Shannon gets to the leg, Barraclough fighting it off, Barraclough keeps working & gets the TD
Barraclough TD 4-0
Barraclough rides Shannon out

P3:
Shannon chooses neutral
Barraclough gets to the leg
Barraclough TD 7-0
Barraclough riding tough, goes over 1-min riding time
Shannon escapes with a couple seconds left 7-1
Barraclough Riding Time point 8-1

Barraclough DEC Shannon 8-1

“All your posts suck” was my favorite match post followed closely by “your discussion sickens me” lol.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Disagree on your analysis of the ankle stall. There was complete separation except ankle and it doesn’t matter anyway.

You must have edited to include the ankle stall. Go back and watch the replay. If you don't see Levi turn back into Saldate twice (at which time the ref stopped the count) I'll have to conclude you are blind.

You must have edited to include the ankle stall. Go back and watch the replay. If you don't see Levi turn back into Saldate twice (at which time the ref stopped the count) I'll have to conclude you are blind.
season 1 friends GIF

Didn’t the football team beat MSU 42-0?
Yep. But that was football. When you're wrestling it's tough to beat anybody by five converted touchdowns. Today, sitting three starters (149, 174, HWT), Sanderson's kids found a way to do just that -- on the road.

It wouldn't have been the worst thing to happen had Levi lost. He's wrestling slightly tighter than he did last year, and this match might actually help him wrestle more freely than what he has been wrestling so far this year.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Thank God my wife is an RN she'll know what to do when i grab my chest.

Anyone who isn't syncing the audio with Ironhead is a sadist.
I was listening to Ironhead, at times I wish Pitchfork Rebel's wife was next to Ironhead. He goes all out during these matches and leaves it all at the microphone.

Huge effort. Love him!

It wouldn't have been the worst thing to happen had Levi lost. He's wrestling slightly tighter than he did last year, and this match might actually help him wrestle more freely than what he has been wrestling so far this year.
I feel like Levi’s high crotch isn’t working like it was last year. Did folks see something on tape? Is he not hitting it as hard? I still see the same aggressiveness but his go-to isn’t as effective right now.

Finally got to watch to OT in the Haines match. He didn't return Saldate to the mat for a long time, so I'm not sure I can complain about that call--but for the 1,000th time, UTB is a TERRIBLE product.

How's this for an idea. Regulation RT becomes criterea, but you get the 2 min SV period, and if the guy who has criterea doesn't yet have a stall warning, he gets one at the start of SV.

Usually, my rule ideas get torn apart pretty quick--so go ahead tell me why this wouldn't work.

Reactions: hlstone
Byers audio and headphones on one computer and BTN+ on second computer with big screen- how do you sync them ???
Thanks

I feel like Levi’s high crotch isn’t working like it was last year. Did folks see something on tape? Is he not hitting it as hard? I still see the same aggressiveness but his go-to isn’t as effective right now.
It seems that last year he would get that Hi-C and blast right through guys. This year not so much. Levi a little off or guys knowing what to expect and adjusting accordingly? I don't know enough to be sure.

Reactions: mhlarch and mcpat
Finally got to watch to OT in the Haines match. He didn't return Saldate to the mat for a long time, so I'm not sure I can complain about that call--but for the 1,000th time, UTB is a TERRIBLE product.

How's this for an idea. Regulation RT becomes criterea, but you get the 2 min SV period, and if the guy who has criterea doesn't yet have a stall warning, he gets one at the start of SV.

Usually, my rule ideas get torn apart pretty quick--so go ahead tell me why this wouldn't work.
I wish OT was put the two guys on their feet and unplug the clock. First score wins.

Byers audio and headphones on one computer and BTN+ on second computer with big screen- how do you sync them ???
Thanks
The biggest challenge is getting a "pausible" feed of Byers. For me, Lionvision on my iPhone in Safari (not the app) works. Usually--Byers is ahead of video feed. Then, you listen for a whistle to start action, and pause until you see the ref raise his hand on the same whistle. Works like a charm every time. It's amazing how audible whistles are--even at nationals.

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT