ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Beard to the transfer portal

So I know this won’t be popular, wish Max Dean didn’t transfer in and Beard was our guy, we didn’t need those points for a Natty, jeez sayin’
It turns out we did not need the points. However, if all the Iowa guys stay healthy, it is probably an interesting team race. It would have been the opposite in 2020 had it not been canceled and PSU stayed healthy. The rumor is Dean walked on and received zero from PSU, not sure how Cael turns that down.

Reactions: jack66
No but the FACT is undoubtedly that you constantly act and talk like a complete authoritarian. So the name fits and that is likely why you got it . . . or at least still possess it. You try constantly to create little a fiefdom for your tiny thoughts and ideas (factoids) about wrestling which you police like, well, a bad cop on the take. Better ideas?. Meet me up sometime at a match and see if you can hold your own with me in any way!
Will this involve a bridge. I got dibs on the promotion of said rucas under said bridge

Zero chance of the Ivies. He's already completed 3 years undergrad, and the Ivies don't allow grad students to compete in athletics. Why go somewhere for 1 year, then have to transfer again?

Same for Stanford -- grad admissions rates being what they are, 2nd transfer would be highly likely.

With no inside info, I would guess Michigan -- excellent school (plus top 10 grad school in his major), a very obvious need at 197 (no returning wrestlers with a career .500 record), plus great coaching and training partners. Plus from Michigan's perspective, 3 years of Beard would allow Rylan Rogers to go 184, where Willie thinks he would be best.

From a roster standpoint: Lehigh, Rutger, Illinois, Virginia, and VT make sense. Ohio State and Arizona State do not. Nor does his Dream School.
Michigan probably out too unless he graduates between now and the fall. Admissions only allow 60 credits to transfer so their transfers are pretty much limited to freshman or graduates. Which means a 4th year guy like Beard would have to make up a lot of credits in a short time.

but I also wish he wouldn't have inquired. I hate the thought of losing Beard, even assuming Dean comes back and wins another title and someone else steps up after Dean leaves. It's going to really suck to be a PSU fan if Beard transfers and ends up beating Dean in the national finals. Of course all of us would be happy for Beard and likely feel badly for Dean, but it's really going to suck......

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Dean was a big part of our NC run, he was also a big reason we were the undefeated dual-team champs ... who knows if we beat Iowa at Carver without him.

Why not just enjoy our success without overthinking it?

Do we do the same with Beard in the line-up? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I'm thankful Max was with us, and I wish Michael the best of luck wherever he lands.

However, I can assure you I will not be rooting for him to beat Dean if they meet next year.

I agree entirely. Look, you simply DO NOT turn down a guy the quality of Dean (based on wrestling ability or his character) if he inquires and wants to join your team, but I also wish he wouldn't have inquired. I hate the thought of losing Beard, even assuming Dean comes back and wins another title and someone else steps up after Dean leaves. It's going to really suck to be a PSU fan if Beard transfers and ends up beating Dean in the national finals. Of course all of us would be happy for Beard and likely feel badly for Dean, but it's really going to suck......
I'd say it would suck less than watching any of the other 9 weights lose to other wrestlers.

Like most, I was hoping Beard would stay, and I’ll be pulling for him wherever he ends up. Even though we didn’t get to see him realize his full potential in the PSU singlet, the anticipation was fun.
LOL never did get any response from jefe admitting he was wrong!!
Wow, the legend in his own mind proven wrong.
never did get a response from jefe admitting he was wrong!!oh well!!

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
We were all looking forward to Beard maning the slot, even if two more years out. Max Dean is a total class act and a fantastic wrestler. We are blessed to have him.

Just as free agency took a huge chunk out of the nostalgia of rooting for your team (the same roster year after year) in professional sports, only to have free agency come along and rip the soul out of that prospect, so too has the transfer portal and NIL changed college sports forever.

We experienced the initial salvo first hand when Suriano defeated the 1 year ban, which one can argue set this whole portal thing in motion.

Back to Max and Michael; anyone who thinks the game is still played by the old rules will be sorely mistaken. Michael Beard will not be the first kid bounced from the lineup, nor the last to leave the program.

The Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers of my childhood are long gone, replaced by a revolving door of new faces, and new colored jerseys on some of my favorites as they leave Pittsburgh in their rear view mirrors. So too is gone the notion of seeing the same faces on our collegiate wrestling team for 4-5 full years.

I don't like it one bit. Still, I remain beyond thankful for Cael, and if it means some of the best kids in the country come here to wrestle just a couple of years for the legend, I am ok sitting back and admiring the skill demonstrated by our team, independent of it's origins.

Team trophies might be fewer and lose some of their luster, but this is the new normal. I have regretably jumped on board, and will try not to look back. That first decade was oh so sweet, but the next looks to have it's share of drama, excellence and more to look forward.

LOL never did get any response from jefe admitting he was wrong!!

never did get a response from jefe admitting he was wrong!!oh well!!
Look, my understanding is that there was a unanimous vote at one of the board meetings years ago that granted El-Jefe (among others) Exempt Status when it comes to the normal obligations of explaining oneself, admitting inaccuracy, apologizing for hyperbole, etc. I’m pretty sure your secretary was asked at the time to provide you with details of the decision.

@Flying_Tiger — we’re actually taking a vote next week on whether to grant him Legend Status. I know how I’m going to vote . . . and the whispers in the room are that this one isn’t going to be close, either.

We were all looking forward to Beard maning the slot, even if two more years out. Max Dean is a total class act and a fantastic wrestler. We are blessed to have him.

Just as free agency took a huge chunk out of the nostalgia of rooting for your team (the same roster year after year) in professional sports, only to have free agency come along and rip the soul out of that prospect, so too has the transfer portal and NIL changed college sports forever.

We experienced the initial salvo first hand when Suriano defeated the 1 year ban, which one can argue set this whole portal thing in motion.

Back to Max and Michael; anyone who thinks the game is still played by the old rules will be sorely mistaken. Michael Beard will not be the first kid bounced from the lineup, nor the last to leave the program.

The Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers of my childhood are long gone, replaced by a revolving door of new faces, and new colored jerseys on some of my favorites as they leave Pittsburgh in their rear view mirrors. So too is gone the notion of seeing the same faces on our collegiate wrestling team for 4-5 full years.

I don't like it one bit. Still, I remain beyond thankful for Cael, and if it means some of the best kids in the country come here to wrestle just a couple of years for the legend, I am ok sitting back and admiring the skill demonstrated by our team, independent of it's origins.

Team trophies might be fewer and lose some of their luster, but this is the new normal. I have regretably jumped on board, and will try not to look back. That first decade was oh so sweet, but the next looks to have it's share of drama, excellence and more to look forward.
I agree that the new free agency, err, NIL/transfer portal is changing the game. I don't think it hurts PSU as much as some of the others. We will still get the cream of the crop, and while we may miss out on a few, we will still be blessed with the best. Winners want to wrestle for winners and stay on top.

Beard won't be the last high level name to transfer out. While I'd love to see him finish his career in blue and white, I think him leaving is ok. He can give it a go somewhere else and likely embark on a vision quest to finish on top. I wish him the best!

Ultimately, I think the new rules, if we can get past the shady picture of bag men in dark alleys (or NCAA Championships) offering tons of money to switch alliances, could end up making for more parity and competitiveness. Great wrestlers will want to be in a starting line-up, so instead of sitting behind a starter, they go somewhere else and become a hammer. It makes the 1st 2 days of NCAAs more interesting and creates the likelihood that PSU will clinch the championship under the bright lights on Saturday night.

Look, my understanding is that there was a unanimous vote at one of the board meetings years ago that granted El-Jefe (among others) Exempt Status when it comes to the normal obligations of explaining oneself, admitting inaccuracy, apologizing for hyperbole, etc. I’m pretty sure your secretary was asked at the time to provide you with details of the decision.

@Flying_Tiger — we’re actually taking a vote next week on whether to grant him Legend Status. I know how I’m going to vote . . . and the whispers in the room are that this one isn’t going to be clo

Maybe I dont understand the portal, does Michael HAVE to leave if he enters the portal? This seems to be the foregone conclusion that he is definitely LEAVING, am I unaware of something?

Reactions: billrag
Maybe I dont understand the portal, does Michael HAVE to leave if he enters the portal? This seems to be the foregone conclusion that he is definitely LEAVING, am I unaware of something?
He does not have to leave. If you enter the portal, the current school does not have to honor the scholarship. For PSU football, if you enter the portal, your locker is cleaned out.

its all cool as long as he knows I was right!!
Hey congrats, you found an example. It's more than 2x older than Dean, but it is an example.

So you're right and -- if that's the strongest example -- does that bolster your original point, that Dean should've moved down to make room for Beard?

Who put him on you?
Some new administrator down a Lock Haven, name Lee Larry. Smallish guy. Says his son used to wrestle in college out in the midwest some place and is tired of garbage wrestling. Anyhow Mr. Larry did say he has some cash bags for parents of successful wrestlers who may need to talk about the stress money needs can create while kids are in college.

Reactions: slushhead
One-Up, please, he lives on the forum, has over 25,000 post. I have no desire or time to challenge for king of the forum. I just don't care for his snide remarks and insulting mannerisms directed at the other posters, and he has been doing it for years. Surprising how many people tolerate it and how a few actually hang from his nuts enough to defend him (sound familiar?)

Last edited:
Reactions: SUPERTODD
One-Up, please, he lives on the forum, has over 25,000 post. I have no desire or time to challenge for king of the forum. I just don't care for his snide remarks and insulting mannerisms directed at the other posters, and he has been doing it for years. Surprising how many people tolerate it and how a few actually hang from his nuts enough to defend him (sound familiar?)
I actually have him on ignore for that reason. He provides good information at times which is why it is tolerated. It would be great if he could do it without being a dick but, hey, it’s the Internet.

But, you have time to try to one-up him about this one mistake he made, even though it still turned out to be a fair point. I mean, if you have to dig back fifty years to come up with a single example, his point is still pretty fair, right?

Here's my problem. He posts a lot of really good information about a variety of topics. I know other people who post great info, but then someone like you comes along and pisses them off, and they walk away, sometimes for a long time; sometimes, it appears, forever.

IMO, the value he brings outweighs whatever insults people might feel butthurt over.

As to the 25,000 messages thing. What business, or care, is that of yours?

But, you have time to try to one-up him about this one mistake he made, even though it still turned out to be a fair point. I mean, if you have to dig back fifty years to come up with a single example, his point is still pretty fair, right?

Here's my problem. He posts a lot of really good information about a variety of topics. I know other people who post great info, but then someone like you comes along and pisses them off, and they walk away, sometimes for a long time; sometimes, it appears, forever.

IMO, the value he brings outweighs whatever insults people might feel butthurt over.

As to the 25,000 messages thing. What business, or care, is that of yours?
Hey! Follow the rules, please.

e01a2036901be5ee01bd9179f217a022.gif.aa7f0f8ef31276ea7a0a13f7bd3022c3.gif

Some new administrator down a Lock Haven, name Lee Larry. Smallish guy. Says his son used to wrestle in college out in the midwest some place and is tired of garbage wrestling. Anyhow Mr. Larry did say he has some cash bags for parents of successful wrestlers who may need to talk about the stress money needs can create while kids are in college.
Was he offering to sell one of these?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT