ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Beard to the transfer portal

Damn. I was wondering when that was going to happen. Who fills in after Dean's last year? Is Brooks big enough? Hope keeping Dean for one year doesn't prove short-sighted. Best wishes to The Beard.
We’ll be fine.

But you can be sure there will be a cadre on here being passive aggressive about it all season next year, especially if Max stumbles.

We almost saw it with Verk but posts dwindled once he didn’t even qualify.

He tried that and fell short of winning the spot this year. With Dean returning and being the national champ, he's the starter period. Michael is way too good to sit another year, he's started one season since graduating high school. Can't expect him to wait forever.
WOW I was hoping Brooks would shirt Dean down to 184 and Beard at 97!!

We’ll be fine.

But you can be sure there will be a cadre on here being passive aggressive about it all season next year, especially if Max stumbles.

Those posts were beyond dumb and obviously I am rooting hard for Verk always but how many wins did Verk record over a 2022 NQ? Zero. Bartlett beat 6 as an undersized freshman (and multiple previous qualifiers like Lara, Omania, Storr, Rooks)

Those posts were beyond dumb and obviously I am rooting hard for Verk always but how many wins did Verk record over a 2022 NQ? Zero. Bartlett beat 6 as an undersized freshman (and multiple previous qualifiers like Lara, Omania, Storr, Rooks)
There’s always a point-scoring undercurrent on here - worse on the football board. They’d rather be right than anything else

The classic example were the people rooting against McGloin because they were Bolden guys

Reactions: nitlion6
We’ll be fine.

True ....but is anybody going to hit post reply on a bad outing by a returning NC
There’s always a point-scoring undercurrent on here - worse on the football board. They’d rather be right than anything else

The classic example were the people rooting against McGloin because they were Bolden guys
Won't be an issue until AB says I'm not taking the extra year or moving up and beard is winning somewhere else.

So be it. It's the interwebs, horrible takes are the entertainment

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at an Ivy League school with a stout wrestling program (ala Cornell, Princeton, Stanford, Penn). Fortunately for him, he’s very smart and has (reportedly) almost wrestled a national champion out of the lineup on more than one occasion. So he should have his pick of the litter
Zero chance of the Ivies. He's already completed 3 years undergrad, and the Ivies don't allow grad students to compete in athletics. Why go somewhere for 1 year, then have to transfer again?

Same for Stanford -- grad admissions rates being what they are, 2nd transfer would be highly likely.

With no inside info, I would guess Michigan -- excellent school (plus top 10 grad school in his major), a very obvious need at 197 (no returning wrestlers with a career .500 record), plus great coaching and training partners. Plus from Michigan's perspective, 3 years of Beard would allow Rylan Rogers to go 184, where Willie thinks he would be best.

From a roster standpoint: Lehigh, Rutger, Illinois, Virginia, and VT make sense. Ohio State and Arizona State do not. Nor does his Dream School.

True ....but is anybody going to hit post reply on a bad outing by a returning NC

Won't be an issue until AB says I'm not taking the extra year or moving up and beard is winning somewhere else.

So be it. It's the interwebs, horrible takes are the entertainment
Always sucks to lose a quality young man, but good luck to him. Let the incoming transfer rumors begin.

Last edited:
I think the only positive for this on the PSU side is lineup possibilities going forward. Next year I’m sure Facundo can make 165 and Levi 157 if need be but I have doubt they can stay there long term. If in 2 years AB goes to 197 then CStar goes 184, Facundo 174, and Levi 165. Or and more hopeful actually would be AB to 197, CStar or Barr at 184, CStar or Barr at 174, Facundo at 165, and Levi at 157 if they can hold those weights. It definitely creates a better path for the youngsters coming in and probably frees up a little money as well which is a plus. I hate seeing him go though. I think he is the most talented 197 in the country. If he can stay healthy and fix his gas tank he can be a national champ
There really isn't any positive for PSU from a line up perspective or otherwise. In 2023-24 I would expect AB to probably take an ORS so 197 will not have MD, AB or MB avaliable.

From Beard's perspective he gets 3 chances to make a championship run. Good on him and best of luck to the kid.

Reactions: mcpat
Wrestling has become a wild west libertarian "free" market with all the problems that market mentality and set of rules generates: sudden transfers, recruiting over guys already signed or committed, payments under and over the table, poaching, pressures to sign extremely early in high school, wheel and deal making with NIL and slush funds, (often understandable) lack of loyalty to a team by athletes, and so on.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld joke: "It's different guys every year," Jerry Seinfeld observed. "You're rooting for clothes, when you get right down to it. We're screaming about laundry."

It's obviously a symptom of a bigger problem in America where everything runs on cash and your access (or lack of it) to wealth: education, health care, politics, among other things. Elections are actually auctions and money is absurdly viewed as a form of "speech.

LOL. Could there be a less applicable example than Beard having a defending national champ at his weight in the PSU room?

LOL. Could there be a less applicable example than Beard having a defending national champ at his weight in the PSU room?
The point was general not specific. I didn't mention Beard. Your response misses the point, per usual.

Damn. I was wondering when that was going to happen. Who fills in after Dean's last year? Is Brooks big enough? Hope keeping Dean for one year doesn't prove short-sighted. Best wishes to The Beard.
amattaro- I don’t know who, but maybe somebody can talk to Michael at nationals in two years about all kinds of stuff other than transferring to Penn State.

Reactions: Ski
He's been out of HS I believe 4 years. He's go to be anxious to get out there. I wouldn't wager on him actually wrestling 3 more years.

Reactions: Ski
The point was general not specific. I didn't mention Beard. Your response misses the point, per usual.
I got the point -- I just decided to withhold a concise summary of your argument.

But perhaps instead of your usual shtick of making an unrelated political point about a situation, you could instead posit what an improvement would look like.

And while you're at it, please describe how it would be an improvement over the system prior to the SCOTUS ruling -- the system in which 90% or more participants paid wealthy landowners (in this case, universities) for the opportunity to work for years -- a modern equivalent of serfdom.

Wrestling has become a wild west libertarian "free" market with all the problems that market mentality and set of rules generates: sudden transfers, recruiting over guys already signed or committed, payments under and over the table, poaching, pressures to sign extremely early in high school, wheel and deal making with NIL and slush funds, (often understandable) lack of loyalty to a team by athletes, and so on.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld joke: "It's different guys every year," Jerry Seinfeld observed. "You're rooting for clothes, when you get right down to it. We're screaming about laundry."

It's obviously a symptom of a bigger problem in America where everything runs on cash and your access (or lack of it) to wealth: education, health care, politics, among other things. Elections are actually auctions and money is absurdly viewed as a form of "speech.

Foley's a communist!

There's a thread somewhere, and a whole other board, if you're so inclined, for political bullshit. Take it there. Leave it off of here.

wouldn't penn be better academically and closer to malvern? and with a burgeoning RTC if he wants to compete post-college?
Ok, so are we factoring in traffic here? Malvern is a prep school, that’s not where he is from. He is from Pottstown, so if he is leaning one way or the other because of 7 minutes, we have other issues. Penn/Ivy have very difficult transfer rules per previous messages and make things difficult. But if he wants a degree from Wharton, he may give up the years of competing for that opportunity I suppose.

So, let me take a look . . . did you also post something to the threads devoted to BBQs ("Delightful Smells") and "Top Comedic Series" (or so many other similar threads) expressing the view that those have less than zero connections with wrestling?

How about we similarly say take the "carnivorous bullshit" (cancer-causing, animal abuse of BBQs) to another board?

I have to wonder whether most (though not all) of the wrestling community doesn't like anything that remotely touches on politics (even if politics touches on just about everything) because they don't want their sacred cows (religion, the status quo, the "free market" etc.) challenged.
Or perhaps we view wrestling for what it is, an escape from the troubles of the real world (and blowhards such as yourself).

So, let me take a look . . . did you also post something to the threads devoted to BBQs ("Delightful Smells") and "Top Comedic Series" (or so many other similar threads) expressing the view that those have less than zero connections with wrestling?

How about we similarly say take the "carnivorous bullshit" (cancer-causing, animal abuse of BBQs) to another board?

I have to wonder whether most (though not all) of the wrestling community doesn't like anything that remotely touches on politics (even if politics touches on just about everything) because they don't want their sacred cows (religion, the status quo, the "free market" etc.) challenged.
LOL. You got it bad.

A thread titled "What's that delightful smell..." After you know what's in the thread, it's easy to avoid, if you so choose. In your case, out of nowhere, you post a massive stretch to tie Beard's situation to capitalism (and fail).

You let politics chew you up from the inside 24/7. Fine by me, I just don't want to see your turmoil.

Or perhaps we view wrestling for what it is, an escape from the troubles of the real world (and blowhards such as yourself).
No, based on your own words, I think it is more likely that you seem to view wrestling as an "escape" from and "take down" of critical thought, reason, journalism, and science.

Not surprised but sucks. I had high hopes for Beard and thought he might beat out Dean this year.

Reactions: danoftw

1) Seinfeld
2) Taxi
3) M.A.S.H.
4.) The Carol Burnett Show
5.) Cheers

Oh - there’s another thread for this?
1. Meet the Press
2. Tucker Carlson
3. Face the Nation
4. Hannity
5. Morning Joe

Am I doing this right?

Despite your nom de plume, you are not my "boss" (leader or chief) and probably no one else's either. So why should I reply to your request when you can't or seemingly won't defend an idea and associated SCOTUS decision as absurd as Citizen's United, one which patently undermines democratic norms and processes. But if you are sincerely interested, here is one article that makes the case why SCOTUS made a terrible situation far worse:

My points were related, but it is clear you are an authoritarian at heart (something signified by your "name".) Yes, Nomen est omen. You seem to live here on the forum for hours on end each day (for whatever reason) and speak as a self-appointed know-it-all about wrestling who prefers a (self-chosen) authorial voice . But one thing you clearly know little about is political philosophy and more particularly (and to the point) about how athletics has always been linked with political issues.
TL;DR -- you don't have any better ideas.

PS, my handle = my college nickname, which has nothing to do with authoritarianism. Sorry to burst your bubble of authoritarians everywhere.

PPS, you also have said nothing about Beard in a thread about Beard. Which surprises nobody.

Read the articles in the post above this one if you might wish to gain a new perspective. But perhaps you actually do prefer the smell of dead animals instead. Right wing politics and rabid sports fans (yes, "fanatic" is where the word comes from) are often closely linked. All the studies show that. The combination, in turn, tends to promote militarism, religious zealotry, intolerance, and much else. Have you ever wondered why so many authoritarian societies (Russia, Iran, Belarus, etc.) and authoritarian individuals embrace sports like wrestling? (It's not the fault of the sport itself either.)

I have to wonder why so many are un-interested in questioning market capitalism and the economy in general. The nascent "free agent" system in college sports (including wrestling) is part of that "invisible god" that so many people place unquestioned faith in or blindly worship.
Plenty of people question it.

We just don't feel the need to use Michael Beard's impending transfer as an excuse to shoehorn our own rambling, barley coherent thoughts into the discussion.

PS, my handle = my college nickname, which has nothing to do with authoritarianism. Sorry to burst your bubble of authoritarians everywhere.

PPS, you also have said nothing about Beard in a thread about Beard. Which surprises nobody.
3 El-Jefe’s walk into a bar… The first one tells the bartender to get a real job. The 2nd one tells the owner he’d make more money if he sold drinks with umbrellas and the third sits on his phone the entire time telling people what is going to happen at states.

LOL. You got it bad.

A thread titled "What's that delightful smell..." After you know what's in the thread, it's easy to avoid, if you so choose. In your case, out of nowhere, you post a massive stretch to tie Beard's situation to capitalism (and fail).

You let politics chew you up from the inside 24/7. Fine by me, I just don't want to see your turmoil.

Yep, that is what got him placed on my ignore list long ago. He hasn't changed a bit and will continue to be ignored. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: TangSoo

Please go away. This is a wrestling forum. Not democrat underground.

How about Penn, one year there and earns undergrad degree. Good training partners in the room. After one year, needs to enter grad school so forced to transfer again. Right back to Penn State for his masters degree and final 2 years wrestling. Dean is gone and AB stays 184

No but the FACT is undoubtedly that you constantly act and talk like a complete authoritarian. So the name fits and that is likely why you got it . . . or at least still possess it. You try constantly to create little a fiefdom for your tiny thoughts and ideas (factoids) about wrestling which you police like, well, a bad cop on the take. Better ideas?. Meet me up sometime at a match and see if you can hold your own with me in any way!

Stuff your left wing rant. Not every indignity calls for Marx, Keynes and that noxious ass, John Kenneth Galbraith.

Here's the reality. Schools are generally organized as tax exempt entities (there's no such thing as a "non-profit", the term implies indifference to the bottom line propagated by organizations that want to cloak their existence in nobility- but it is a misnomer of the phrase "not for individual profit"-meaning there's no stockholders.

One of the things that is implied in tax exempt status is an "exempt purpose". This means you generate income within that purpose. Intramural athletics is educational. Intercollegiate competition is all about the Benjamin's and the Unrelated Business Income Tax or UBIT should be levied against the various organizations that pay princely sums to the administraors, coaches and other staff.

The NCAA as well as individual school administrators have created, under the guise of education at least two giant businesses in football and basketball. In an alternate universe where I'm in charge of tax enforcement, I address the elephant in the room, which is that football and basketball are essentially professional sports leagues.

Because we are willing to park our behinds in stadiums and behind TV's and buy officially licensed merch to watch talent young people compete.

Some of these young people will enjoy only fleeting marketability. Cael went 159-0 and Ed Ruth admitted that when being recruited, he didn't know who Cael.

Nobody ever complained when AD's coaches exploited their marketability, but now suddenly the people doing the heavy lifting are being allowed to get a slice of the value they generate for the NCAA and the schools and you are twitching with some New School rant.

Get lost, Robert Reich.

Then don't watch , problem solved.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Wish we could keep them all. Good luck Mr Beard! I'll be rooting for ya.

Damn these off season threads ate getting good. Keep up the good reads fellas!!!

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT