ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread for Indiana and Northwestern

Might there not be more during the ensuing duals?
Guessing about the same # matches. Northwestern has notoriously small rosters -- 23 this year, but 2 of them are at 125.

Hoping we do get to see Bartlett vs. Tal-Shahar at 141. That is, assuming there's anything left of Tal-Shahar after Nick gets him in the dual.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Even disregarding today’s performance, Iowa clearly has the stronger (one of the best in recent history) team. With both teams at full strength PSU cannot match the strong-at-every-weight line up of the Hawkeyes. But the pandemic is the wildcard this year and nothing is certain.
I agree with this. I don’t even think it is a debate. Let them have their year and let us reload for the next 4-5 year run with our current group. Debating an Iowa fan right now is pointless. For years (because we won for years) Iowa fans would get frustrated our people were on their board provoking. Let them have their time.

What makes it somewhat bearable is that it’s with PA kids. I watched the last Iowa match with casual wrestling fans. When Kem was up, they all finally were like wait is this all PA kids?

Markie losing his first at Carver Hawkeye was one thing, but at Indiana??? This one was just painful, but these are strange times and it was obvious that 50% of the whole team was flat. A good bit of rust on display to shake off.

NW will beat us if we don't get some energy for lunch. No need to panic, it is just a testament to how rare 159-0 is, you have to wrestle through fatigue, sickness, being flat and some flukes.

Indiana is up and coming and not what I consider the bottom of the big ten. The bottom of the big ten is still relatively tough. Cenzo lost one at stanford (can’t remember if it was his debut match) if I’m not mistaken bc of going upper body and getting put in a hole. It happens, learn and move on.

I’d respectfully remind folks that parents read our board. John Brooks and Greg Kerk Sr. are two I’m aware of.

I’m certainly excited to see what Bartlett can do if/when he cracks the lineup. But my son is the same age as Verk, and I can’t imagine reading these comments if I were in his family.

Is it possible for SVN to enroll early and be our 149lb guy?

Asking for a friend...

My money is still on Bartlett, but him weighing in at 141 today was a bit of a shocker considering he lost the wrestle off to Verk last Sunday.

If he ends up going for us I will sit back and enjoy with essentially no expectations, as he is:

A true freshman
Undersized to kids who are probably dropping from 160+
I can see how hard it would be to win a wrestle off to Verk who can keep the match low scoring against almost anyone
Light years more aggressive than Verk

Reactions: Fatmarc
My money is still on Bartlett, but him weighing in at 141 today was a bit of a shocker considering he lost the wrestle off to Verk last Sunday.

If he ends up going for us I will sit back and enjoy with essentially no expectations, as he is:

A true freshman
Undersized to kids who are probably dropping from 160+
I can see how hard it would be to win a wrestle off to Verk who can keep the match low scoring against almost anyone
Light years more aggressive than Verk
Do we know that the wrestle off was with Bartlett?

Reactions: kevin310
I agree with this. I don’t even think it is a debate. Let them have their year and let us reload for the next 4-5 year run with our current group. Debating an Iowa fan right now is pointless. For years (because we won for years) Iowa fans would get frustrated our people were on their board provoking. Let them have their time.

What makes it somewhat bearable is that it’s with PA kids. I watched the last Iowa match with casual wrestling fans. When Kem was up, they all finally were like wait is this all PA kids?

Don't forget everyone is back next year. We are young so the growth and improvement will be strongly titled in our favor but they are just as solid next year as this year.

Then maybe they shouldn't have gone to a premier program where the fans care
Bravo Sierra. Many of these comments are not posters caring about the wrestlers themselves. They're posters caring about their own feelings projected onto the team.

"Fans" who are disappointed in the wrestlers, as opposed to disappointed for the wrestlers -- maybe they shouldn't have picked a premier program to root for.

As stated, the announcers are something else today. But, it seems someone needs to wake up the scoreboard operators today. It takes longer than to normal to post a score. If I was watching wrestling for the 1st time,I would wonder what the hell was going ??

Reactions: 7brwnpsu

Right. We can’t rightfully thump our chests for the next 5 years if we can’t take our lumps like champs.

149 is not a toss up verk lost to the guy who took i believe 10th or 11th last year at big tens, Berge is looking just like verk, barely beating a kid who won't see the podium this year
Toss ups at 133, 141, 197, maybe 157
Psu favorites 184
Iowa favorites 125, 149, 165, 174, hwt

The defending champs looked bad in their first outing, no doubt about it. We'll see if they can improve

Team wise I wonder if they are considering bumping Lee to 49. Seems like we would have more potential for scoring with Bartlett/Lee vs Lee/Verk.

FYI: Keckeisen from UNI looks good taking out #9 Dakota Geer at 184 with a TD in overtime.

Some very rough matches for a couple of guys on the first outing. Let's see how the second goes.

Well, 2 minutes into his second match of the day and Roman just woke up! That was a fun 3rd minute!

I'll go with the tHR excuse staple....

We are training through the weekend.

Barraclaugh going at 149lbs. Aaron Books may not be going at 184lbs. This is according to the announcers.

EDIT - Ball going 197lbs.

Nick up 2-1 end of first

Escape, stall point, and Td in second. 6-1

Nick is top for third. Gets a stall point, escape NW, two points for stall, riding time. Ends 12-2

PSU up 10-6

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT