ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread for Indiana and Northwestern

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up in advance. I was tempted to break this into two separate threads, but it's the 1st of the season (finally), so let's keep all the fun in one thread. ;)

When:
Saturday, Jan. 30th
12 pm (noon) EST - Indiana
4 pm EST - Northwestern

Where:
@ Northwestern

Video:
BTN+ (you must be a subscriber)

Audio:
(for Indiana -- Ironhead will be on the air at 11:45 am)

(for Northwestern -- Ironhead will be on the air at 3:45 pm)

PBP:
Alas, I'm out for both duals. There's an event taking place tomorrow that I have to attend, so I will not be able to provide PBP. Hopefully, one or more of you will step forward and provide this. A reminder: please try to put the score of each match in your post, and also put the team score in your post. And when replying to another post, please use the Quote function.

I look forward to reading this thread Saturday night or Sunday to find out all that I missed.

Did IU and Northwestern play football in 2000? Antwaan Randle-El versus Damien Anderson. That would have been fun.

(I have nothing intelligent to add, in case you couldn't tell)

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Just saw an interview with Tsirtis the Indiana assistant and he mentioned one of their key matches was at 149 against Verkleeren. I don't know if he knows that for a fact or if he was just guessing.

I am thinking this is probably a guess but Indiana listed the following probable lineup for PSU. If Kerkvliet is really hurt than this really puts some serious doubt on this probable lineup. They also mentioned it in the interview and article previewing the 125 match vs. NW but it sounds and looks like no Hudkins at 125 this weekend.

125: Baylor Shunk or Robert Howard
133: #3 Roman Bravo-Young
141: #2 Nick Lee
149: #10 Jarod Verkleeren
157: #11 Brady Berge
165: #6 Joe Lee
174: #5 Carter Starocci or Creighton Edsell
184: #3 Aaron Brooks
197: #13 Michael Beard
285: #5 Greg Kerkvliet

Reactions: danoftw
Just saw an interview with Tsirtis the Indiana assistant and he mentioned one of their key matches was at 149 against Verkleeren. I don't know if he knows that for a fact or if he was just guessing.

I am thinking this is probably a guess but Indiana listed the following probable lineup for PSU. If Kerkvliet is really hurt than this really puts some serious doubt on this probable lineup. They also mentioned it in the interview and article previewing the 125 match vs. NW but it sounds and looks like no Hudkins at 125 this weekend.

125: Baylor Shunk or Robert Howard
133: #3 Roman Bravo-Young
141: #2 Nick Lee
149: #10 Jarod Verkleeren
157: #11 Brady Berge
165: #6 Joe Lee
174: #5 Carter Starocci or Creighton Edsell
184: #3 Aaron Brooks
197: #13 Michael Beard
285: #5 Greg Kerkvliet
Possibly they just looked at Intermat ranking and took the highest ranked guys from our roster?

Are there pre matches for second team or those that would otherwise be redshirting? If so, any broadcast info ?
Kinda for anybody since they all count and no one is losing any eligibility this year. Since there weren’t any tournaments it’s a classic way to get matches. Just haven’t seen it in college in like...forever.

I just heard the student announcers pre match say PSU was forfiteng 125. Sucks if true

That being said, they don’t seem like they know much (I don’t think they know they’re on mic)

These are the lineups currently in track as of 11:40 a.m. Hudkins was hurt but I guess in the lineup to get a match? If all these unknowns are forfeits that would be very anti-climatic.

125: Brock Hudkins (Indiana) vs. Unknown
133: Unknown vs. Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)
141: Unknown vs. Nick Lee (Penn State)
149: Luke Baughman (Indiana) vs. Jarod Verkleeren (Penn State)
157: Matt Ortiz (Indiana) vs. Brady Berge (Penn State)
165: Nick South (Indiana) vs. Joe Lee (Penn State)
174: Donnell Washington (Indiana) vs. Carter Starocci (Penn State)
184: Drayton Harris (Indiana) vs. Aaron Brooks (Penn State)
197: Nick Willham (Indiana) vs. Unknown
285: Rudy Streck (Indiana) vs. Seth Nevills (Penn State)

Just heard on the prematch (I don't think they know they are on mic) that PSU is forfeiting 125.

Oops. I also heard that (per post above).

Although they are just babbling, these kids seem to be pretty knowledgable about the wrestling landscape.

Cael said something in his presser that they told Michigan State that they couldn't provide wrestlers at a weight class last weekend. Figured it was 125.

Byers is now live. Sanderson in interview said Verkleeren will go against Indiana. He earned that last week but there were a couple guys out so that weight is still to be decided.

Per Byers. Shunk and Howard in a battle for 125 but nobody medically cleared for that weight although Howard did make the trip. He says Howard is projected starter then later. Luigs and Cayden Rooks at 141 for Indiana although they are not listed on track. Verkleeren won a wrestle off last Sunday. Gets Rooks so some of the Indiana lineup might be off in track or Byers is mistaken.

Byers suggests that Verkleeren won the wrestle off on Sunday, but didn't mention who he wrestled off against, which would have been interesting to know.

Reactions: backdrft76
Michael Beard and Greg Kerkvliet also not medically cleared. Already knew about Kerkvliet.

2nd mat being used for the extra bouts. Doubt we'll see any of those bouts with today's setup...we'll see.

Forfeit at 125. indiana leads 6-0 No PSU 125 were "Cleared" to wrestle
RBY 4-2 after 1
RBY TD....6-4 after 2
RBY TD and release. Another TD 10-6
Luigs TD.....final with riding time 11-8 Indiana leads 6-3
Lee vs Rooks:
Lee quick TD. Another Td...4-1 Lee Tilt for 4.....8-1. Quick tilt for 2....10-1 after one. 2:29 riding time. Lee reversal 12-1. 4 back points ends it 16-1 PSU leads 8-6
149: Graham Rooks vs Verk: Long scramble....no score. Long scramble again....nothing. Rooks taking the shots. 1st period ends 0-0 ..Verk gets called for stalling. Verk gets reversal....2-0. Rooks escapes 2-1. Verk with a leg up....No luck 2-1 after 2. Rooks escapes 2-2 Typical Verk match. Rooks TD escape 4-3. Verk in again....too late. Indiana leads 9-8.
157 Berge vs. Ortiz: Berge gets TD. Ortiz escapes and Pd. 1 ends 2-1. Quick release by Berge 2-2. Not much action 2-2 after 2. Berge escapes after 30 sec. 3-2 Berge. Long scramble...nothing. 28 sec left. Berge TD on the edge 5-2. Challenge brick by Indiana. Call stands. Berge rides out and wins 5-2. PSU leads 11-9
165 Lee vs. South. Lee quick TD. 2-0 escape 2-1. Lee doing the stalking....South backing up. 2-1 after 1. Lee quick escape 3-1. Lee TD 5-1. Lee riding well....57 sec RT.....escape 5-2 at end of 2. RT 1:06 South escapes. Lee quick TD. 7-2. Rt 1:24 ..escape 7-3. Lee wins 8-4. PSU leads 14-9
174 Starocci vs. Washington: Washington Upper body...tosses Starocci to his back.....Leads 6-0. Escape 6-1. Washington TD 8-1. Washington is looong. RT at 1:19 Washington tilt....10-1 after period 1. 1:29 RT WOW. Starocci riding...almost turn. Starocci gets stall called against Washington. Then.....turns Washington at end.....10-8 after 2. Starocci escapes 10-9. Starocci keeps attacking...no stall calls.....Washington wins 10-9 PSU leads 14-12.
Brooks vs Harris: Brooks quick TD. escape Brooks TD 4-1. RT 1:20 and rising. Pd. 1 ends 4-1 Riding time is 2:12. Brooks escapes and TD 7-1. "Escape" TD 9-2. Rideout...3:22 RT. Pd. 3....Brooks Td...release...TD 13-3. Release TD etc. Brooks wins 18-5 4:20 RT. PSU leads 18-12
197: Willham vs Higgins ( NO Beard today ): Willham TD with 7 sec left Pd 1 ends 2-0. Willham escapes......quick TD. release and TD 7-1 after 2nd period. Escape quick TD 9-2. Willham has 2:00 RT. Tries to turn him with 5 sec. Higgins escapes...10-3 final. PSU leads 18-15. Comes down to HWT.
HWT. Nevills vs. Streck: Nevills quick TD at 12 sec. 2-0. Nevills with the PIN. Wins 24-15
See you at 4:00 PM

Last edited:
Any idea why the forfeit at 125? Is there no one healthy enough to go at the weight?

Any idea why the Live/Upcoming section of the Lionvision screen shows vs. Wisconsin at 1:30 PM?

Probably Covid related.

At 125 Howard is not a COVID thing or he wouldn't be traveling with the team so I guess he is not cleared from whatever was ailing him with his shoulder. Read into Shunk not traveling what you will. I have no inside info but can make educated guesses.

Reactions: tewlepz
I would like to know who VErk battled to win the spot
I would have thought Bartlett would beat him

Reactions: Lyons212
Dear lord Verk. How do you not finish that.

But that was a great toss by him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT