ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Manville

Just to let those who don't know, the PIAA has age requirements and you cannot turn 19 your senior year in high school and still compete in any sport. In fact, you cannot turn 19 by June 30 at the end of the school year so if guys were held back or not, they did not compete their senior years if they turned 19 before June 30 at the end of the year.

To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year. Where you will participate only in grades 7 and 8, you may not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; where you will participate only in grades 7 through 9, you may not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.
http://www.piaa.org/schools/eligibility/

I will add that you cannot turn 16 by June 30 to compete in grades 7-9

Just to let those who don't know, the PIAA has age requirements and you cannot turn 19 your senior year in high school and still compete in any sport. In fact, you cannot turn 19 by June 30 at the end of the school year so if guys were held back or not, they did not compete their senior years if they turned 19 before June 30 at the end of the year.

To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year. Where you will participate only in grades 7 and 8, you may not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; where you will participate only in grades 7 through 9, you may not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.
http://www.piaa.org/schools/eligibility/

I will add that you cannot turn 16 by June 30 to compete in grades 7-9

This is not being read correctly. Preceding means before not after. You may be 19 and compete. This is the rule in many states.

pre·cede
prəˈsēd/
verb
gerund or present participle: preceding
  1. come before (something) in time.
    "a gun battle had preceded the explosions"
    synonyms: go/come before, lead (up) to, pave/prepare the way for, herald, introduce, usher in
    "commercials preceded the movie"
    antonyms: follow
    • come before in order or position.
      "take time to read the chapters that precede the recipes"
      synonyms: foregoing, previous, prior, former, precedent, earlier, above, aforementioned, antecedent;More
      formalanterior, prevenient
      "refer to the preceding chart"
    • go in front or ahead of.
      "he let her precede him through the gate"
      synonyms: go ahead of, go in front of, go before, go first, lead the way
      "Catherine preceded him into the studio"

Reactions: dicemen99
By the current PIAA Rules, I could have been held back for 2 years, and still be eligible for varsity competition. No idea what the rules were 40+ years ago when I was in high school.

Last edited:
Steibler caught a few breaks but dominated more than Dake did.

I really like Streibler and think he's a great kid. His 4X status is certainly impressive. But, he did catch a major break along the way. His win over Oliver in the finals as a RSFR is about as suspect as it gets. It broke his way but I think if that call is made by ten different refs that more than half the time it goes to Oliver and Streibler is not a 4X champ.

This is not being read correctly. Preceding means before not after. You may be 19 and compete. This is the rule in many states.

pre·cede
prəˈsēd/
verb
gerund or present participle: preceding

No matter how you interpret the regulation, I can tell you that you are 19, you cannot compete in PIAA sports. You have to go to a private/post grad school. My local school had a kid from WV transfer in that still had a year eligibility in WV but turned 19 in May his senior year. He was not allowed to compete.
  1. come before (something) in time.
    "a gun battle had preceded the explosions"
    synonyms: go/come before, lead (up) to, pave/prepare the way for, herald, introduce, usher in
    "commercials preceded the movie"
    antonyms: follow
    • come before in order or position.
      "take time to read the chapters that precede the recipes"
      synonyms: foregoing, previous, prior, former, precedent, earlier, above, aforementioned, antecedent;More
      formalanterior, prevenient
      "refer to the preceding chart"
    • go in front or ahead of.
      "he let her precede him through the gate"
      synonyms: go ahead of, go in front of, go before, go first, lead the way
      "Catherine preceded him into the studio"

By the current PIAA Rules, I could have been held back for 2 years, and still be eligible for varsity competition. No idea what the rules were 40+ years ago when I was in high school.
In the 70's the PIAA rule was could not reach your 19th birthday prior to January 1st.

In the 70's the PIAA rule was could not reach your 19th birthday prior to January 1st.

Thanks...never close to 19 (I ended up graduating HS at 17), so never needed to know the rules "way back when".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT