ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Manville

I agree. Sure hope Mason doesn't read these boards. Bunch of ole' men speculating. But then again, maybe he has a sense of humor above us all...

Reactions: tikk10
Mason will be fine. He'll find his way into the lineup. Where and when that happens is completely up to him. I'm sure he's well aware of the current (and future considering commits) roster situation and feels comfortable that he'll be able to compete at some point. Otherwise he'd do the same thing as Renteria & Mejia did regarding their Iowa commitments. They seen the writing on the wall and adjusted accordingly.

Dan Gable: Blasted no music, ever, and ran everywhere he went, listening only to silence and intensity.

I have never gotten hung up in trying to figure out who fits where. I speculate like everyone but am more in awe of the type of kid who is willing to come in despite the chance that they may not start. If things change while they are here and want to transfer we should simply thank them for their time here and wish them well.

I have been sad to see many go a different direction over the years and those who stay always seem to find a place in our hearts for what they have meant to the program regardless if they ever become starters.

Kudos to those who seek the challenge both on the mat and in the classroom!

Young man will have to do what many others have done before him-either wait a turn that may or may not come, make an undesirable cut to get into the lineup, or go somewhere else. Or maybe he comes in, beats out an existing starter, and takes his place in the record books. All just guesses right now:)

Teasdale has been held back for wrestling 3 times in high school....No wonder he is not a PSU kid where academics matter....I remember John Hughes father telling me he took his boys the hughes brothers on a visit to Iowa..The father ask about the academics and Gable said "We don't worry or not even concern about academics....Both Hughes bothers committed to PSU....Teasdale and his buddy may not like the way Cael talks about God and life....Who knows....Just super glad they are going to Iowa now and can act however....lol
#NailedIt

From the linked report:

Teasdale caps season with state title
  • Jul 27, 2012
Teasdale, 13, is from Rices Landing and attends Jefferson-Morgan Junior High School

http://www.heraldstandard.com/gcm/s...cle_e1f28d25-16bc-565c-805f-b8d45ef66c16.html

That would make Teasdale 17 at this time, in 2016.
Unless he had a birthday in the last week or so.

==============

However, Teasdale is not in the 2017 Class, like Spencer Lee.

Gavin is in the 2018 Class. That will make him 18 years old, before he begins his classes as a senior next year in 2017.

Depending upon when his birthday hits, it appears that Teasdale will still be competing as a Junior in HS this year as a 17 or 18-year old and the following year as a Senior in HS as an 18 or a 19-year old wrestler.

From a Flo article:

Pennsylvania wrestling stars Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale commit (early) to compete for Iowa

By Jim Carlson | Special to PennLive
on April 20, 2016 at 8:21 PM, updated April 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM​

Both wearing a blue Young Guns Wrestling tee-shirt, Lee and Teasdale made their announcements on Flo Wrestling Monday night. Lee is Flo's No. 1 pound-for-pound high school wrestler in the Class of 2017. Teasdale is No. 3 in the Class of 2018.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/04/pennsylvania_wrestling_stars_s.html

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
From the linked report:

Teasdale caps season with state title
  • Jul 27, 2012
Teasdale, 13, is from Rices Landing and attends Jefferson-Morgan Junior High School

http://www.heraldstandard.com/gcm/s...cle_e1f28d25-16bc-565c-805f-b8d45ef66c16.html

That would make Teasdale 17 at this time, in 2016.
Unless he had a birthday in the last week or so.

==============

However, Teasdale is not in the 2017 Class, like Spencer Lee.

Gavin is in the 2018 Class. That will make him 18 years old, before he begins his classes as a senior next year in 2017.

Depending upon when his birthday hits, it appears that Teasdale will still be competing as a Junior in HS this year as a 17 or 18-year old and the following year as a Senior in HS as an 18 or a 19-year old wrestler.

From a Flo article:

Pennsylvania wrestling stars Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale commit (early) to compete for Iowa

By Jim Carlson | Special to PennLive
on April 20, 2016 at 8:21 PM, updated April 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM​

Both wearing a blue Young Guns Wrestling tee-shirt, Lee and Teasdale made their announcements on Flo Wrestling Monday night. Lee is Flo's No. 1 pound-for-pound high school wrestler in the Class of 2017. Teasdale is No. 3 in the Class of 2018.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/04/pennsylvania_wrestling_stars_s.html

Quite the investigative reporter you are.

From the Mat.com
RED - Gavin Teasdale, Rices Landing, Pa.
2013 Northeast Cadet Regional freestyle champion… 2013 Cadet National Duals All-Tournament team… Attends Jefferson Morgan High School… Son of Kristin and Brandon Teasdale… Coached by Mike Lesko, Jody Strittmatter and John Strittmatter…Born: October 29, 1998… Age: 14
Which by my calculation means he will be 18 in October and 19 &1/2 when he graduates. I was 17 when I graduated way back when. I can only imagine how much better I would have been (stronger,mature) etc. had I had 2 extra years.

Reactions: T J
Re: Teasdale
Not sure why anyone would care that much to seek out how old the kid is. For what it's worth he's been competing in high school and age based events against kids about his age, kids younger than him and kids/men older than him.
His age relative to his class isn't rare. There are holdbacks already attending and coming into PSU just like just about every other program. No big deal.

Re: Manville
He'll be successful.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Inquiring minds want to know Azchief32...

;)

Bottom line for me... Don't know Gavin, but based upon his mat results, he seems like a dedicated, hard working Pennsylvania wrestler, who is trying to be the best he can be. Hope he gets a chance to persue his goals in college and reaches many of them (except on the mat vs PSU and the Nittany Lions.) ;)

That said, some wrestlers are better fits than others for what Cael Sanderson and Penn State are trying to accomplish, via an emphasis on high achievement by student athletes, both on and off the mat.

Again, don't know other details about Gavin, so will just wish him and his family well, while continuing to support the high standards that Penn State wants to achieve, both on and off the mat.

Last edited:
there is a limit on how old you can be in HS and participate in sports... seems to be that you can't be 20 and participate.... at least that sounds familiar from a vhsl standpoint...

there is a limit on how old you can be in HS and participate in sports... seems to be that you can't be 20 and participate.... at least that sounds familiar from a vhsl standpoint...

From the PIAA Eligibility Rules...

To be eligible to participate in grades 10 through 12, you must not have reached your 19th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year. Where you will participate only in grades 7 and 8, you may not have reached your 15th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year; where you will participate only in grades 7 through 9, you may not have reached your 16th birthday by June 30 immediately preceding the school year.

http://www.piaa.org/schools/eligibility/default.aspx

Mason will be fine. He'll find his way into the lineup. Where and when that happens is completely up to him. I'm sure he's well aware of the current (and future considering commits) roster situation and feels comfortable that he'll be able to compete at some point. Otherwise he'd do the same thing as Renteria & Mejia did regarding their Iowa commitments. They seen the writing on the wall and adjusted accordingly.

Two different situations. Mason knows who is already in the room and is free to make his decision based on that.

Penn State didn't go out and recruit a higher-ranked guy at the same weight class in his class year *after* he verbally committed, like Iowa did with Renteria and Mejia. Of course, given Mason's ranking, that would have been pretty improbable.

Two different situations. Mason knows who is already in the room and is free to make his decision based on that.

Penn State didn't go out and recruit a higher-ranked guy at the same weight class in his class year *after* he verbally committed, like Iowa did with Renteria and Mejia. Of course, given Mason's ranking, that would have been pretty improbable.

It depends on what weight classes you (not just you but anybody that wants to compare the situations) project Manville, Hall, the IN Lees, Carr, et all to be in college.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling talent. Risk you take/challenge you accept when choosing to go to top programs in any sport.

Re: Teasdale
Not sure why anyone would care that much to seek out how old the kid is. For what it's worth he's been competing in high school and age based events against kids about his age, kids younger than him and kids/men older than him.
His age relative to his class isn't rare. There are holdbacks already attending and coming into PSU just like just about every other program. No big deal.

Re: Manville
He'll be successful.

Not a big deal, but a lot of people don't like holding back athletes. Examples Logan Steiber was a 20, 21 year old freshman.
Zain Retherford was an 18 year old freshman.
One is a 4xer and the other will be a 3xer, (and a 5th) but which career is more impressive given the knowlege of their age difference?

Not a big deal, but a lot of people don't like holding back athletes. Examples Logan Steiber was a 20, 21 year old freshman.
One is a 4xer and the other will be a 3xer, (and a 5th) but which career is more impressive given the knowlege of their age difference?

Stieber was 19 when he entered college, a year and 4 months older than Zain was when he entered college and younger than a lot of others.

Lots of kids get held back including plenty that come to PSU and Stieber was 19 when he entered college, not 20 or 21.

Stieber was 19 when he entered college, a year and 4 months older than Zain was when he entered college and younger than a lot of others.

Lots of kids get held back including plenty that come to PSU and Stieber was 19 when he entered college, not 20 or 21.

I get it nova ive been around wrestling since i was 5.
Never said entering college, his 1st year wrestling he was 20, 21.

Considering that there are more 3xers that were 18 year old freshmen than 4xers that were 20 year old freshmen (more 20 year old frosh than most people realize)....

As far as a lot of people not liking holdbacks then a lot of people don't like athletes in the very programs they support. Fandom and righteousness don't mix well.

I get it nova ive been around wrestling since i was 5.
Never said entering college, his 1st year wrestling he was 20, 21.

Apples to oranges comparison as I already said but you did it again anyway. So, by your argument since Cael res
Considering that there are more 3xers that were 18 year old freshmen than 4xers that were 20 year old freshmen (more 20 year old frosh than most people realize)....

As far as a lot of people not liking holdbacks then a lot of people don't like athletes in the very programs they support. Fandom and righteousness don't mix well.

Bingo, well said.

Logan Streibler. When they have a gathering to honor four timers 20 years from now at the NCAA's and Streibler chugs his old ass out to the middle of the mat to join Cael, Dake, Lee, Smith, nobody will remember the whole age thing.

Age of 1st NCAA championship of 4xers
Pat Smith 19
Cael Sanderson 19
Kyle Dake 19
Steiber 21

Chief i personally dont give a rats a** about kids being held back. Some people do thats why kids like hall and teasdale get flack on message boards.

... and he'll come back with a number of hawks stuffed and mounted.

LOL -Thanks El-Jefe, for getting the thread back on track, toward clever and friendly jabs between fans of the sport, whose teams are wrestling rivals.

;)

Age of 1st NCAA championship of 4xers
Pat Smith 19
Cael Sanderson 19
Kyle Dake 19
Steiber 21

Chief i personally dont give a rats a** about kids being held back. Some people do thats why kids like hall and teasdale get flack on message boards.
Which makes Steiber's feat even more rare. :)
Or does it make him the worst 4xer? Say that out loud.

Reactions: horraybeer
Since Dake is on the list, Striebler is clearly not the worst 4xer.
I'd put Dake 2nd - comfortably ahead of Streusel.

The 4 weights thing doesn't ring my bell as much as it does others (as if Cael couldn't have won a hypothetical 192 or 208 weight class along with 184 and 197 or some combo of 4 classes between 184 and 208 - matching Dake's 24 lb spread), but the no redshirt fact is impressive.

Reactions: LHavenlion
I'd put Dake 2nd - comfortably ahead of Streusel.

The 4 weights thing doesn't ring my bell as much as it does others (as if Cael couldn't have won a hypothetical 192 or 208 weight class along with 184 and 197 or some combo of 4 classes between 184 and 208 - matching Dake's 24 lb spread), but the no redshirt fact is impressive.

Steibler caught a few breaks but dominated more than Dake did.

Steibler caught a few breaks but dominated more than Dake did.

I think Dake dominated way more than Steibler:

Dake was 137-4 including wins over David Taylor (4 championships in four different weight classes, no redshirts.

Steibler was 119-3

Not even close IMHO

All the 4-timers were awesome. Other than Cael, at 159-0, there's arguments for and against "ranking" the other guys 2 through 4. Even Cael's accomplishment gets little respect by haters.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
All the 4-timers were awesome. Other than Cael, at 159-0, there's arguments for and against "ranking" the other guys 2 through 4. Even Cael's accomplishment gets little respect by haters.

IMO Dake has the more solid case for 2. Stieber and Smith I just don't care to compare. All of them, as you said, accomplished what an iota could. And sorry Joey but D1 >>>

This argument limits it to the 4 timers, which doesn't consider the other great wrestlers through the years. There's only one 6 timer. Another undefeated. Lots of folks would consider a certain two-timer better than some of these four. The list goes on.

Man this thread got off the rails

I think Dake dominated way more than Steibler:

Dake was 137-4 including wins over David Taylor (4 championships in four different weight classes, no redshirts.

Steibler was 119-3

Not even close IMHO

If you look at the wrestling part of it, Streibler scored a crap load more points than Dake and was funner to watch. Yes, a 4-0 lead by Dake might as well have been a TF but that's not how we measure domination in our sport. So here are the results of their NCAA tournaments (only counting bonus):

Streibler:

2012: 2 Pins
2103: 4 by pin or TF
2014: 4 by pin or TF
2015-4 by pin or TF

Dake:

2010: 1 Pin, 1 Bonus
2011: 2 Bonus
2012: 3 Pins
2013: 2 Bonus

Streibler was a big part of why tOSU won their title. Given the choice between the two, I'd rather have Streibler wrestling for me at the NCAA tourney because he is going to rack up huge points. Your posted records just shows that Dake wrestled more matches and stayed healthy.

IMO Dake has the more solid case for 2. Stieber and Smith I just don't care to compare. All of them, as you said, accomplished what an iota could. And sorry Joey but D1 >>>

This argument limits it to the 4 timers, which doesn't consider the other great wrestlers through the years. There's only one 6 timer. Another undefeated. Lots of folks would consider a certain two-timer better than some of these four. The list goes on.

Man this thread got off the rails
Yep, that's one way to look at it. Again, there's as many views (pro's and con's) as there are people. I prefer to celebrate them all.

If you look at the wrestling part of it, Streibler scored a crap load more points than Dake and was funner to watch. Yes, a 4-0 lead by Dake might as well have been a TF but that's not how we measure domination in our sport. So here are the results of their NCAA tournaments (only counting bonus):

Streibler:

2012: 2 Pins
2103: 4 by pin or TF
2014: 4 by pin or TF
2015-4 by pin or TF

Dake:

2010: 1 Pin, 1 Bonus
2011: 2 Bonus
2012: 3 Pins
2013: 2 Bonus

Streibler was a big part of why tOSU won their title. Given the choice between the two, I'd rather have Streibler wrestling for me at the NCAA tourney because he is going to rack up huge points. Your posted records just shows that Dake wrestled more matches and stayed healthy.
Fair points. All I know is that Dake is undefeated against our ridiculously-talented bell cow, DT. That one fact alone blows me away. I learned not to doubt Dake awhile back after a few painful lessons.

Reactions: lions#1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT