ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Manville

Ja1339

Feb 5, 2016
I apologize if this was discussed in an earlier thread. Any news or information on Mason Manville?

Anyone think there's a chance of the following scenario:. Hall goes at 74 this year , with Bo at 84, and Manville redshirts. Following year, Hall shirts, and Nolf, Manville, Cenzo fill into the 57 thru 74 slots in some combination. Then, in the 18-19 season, Hall moves to 84, and Bo moves to 97 in his senior season.

I know this seems like a stretch, especially because I'm not sure if any of Nolf, Manville or Cenzo can move to 74. In the past, I've seen speculation that Manville could take 49, post Zain. But that seems very unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I love this site, and the fantastic information it provides.

I apologize if this was discussed in an earlier thread. Any news or information on Mason Manville?

Anyone think there's a chance of the following scenario:. Hall goes at 74 this year , with Bo at 84, and Manville redshirts. Following year, Hall shirts, and Nolf, Manville, Cenzo fill into the 57 thru 74 slots in some combination. Then, in the 18-19 season, Hall moves to 84, and Bo moves to 97 in his senior season.

I know this seems like a stretch, especially because I'm not sure if any of Nolf, Manville or Cenzo can move to 74. In the past, I've seen speculation that Manville could take 49, post Zain. But that seems very unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I love this site, and the fantastic information it provides.

More likely Shakur goes 174 this year and Hall shirts. Also, Mark Hall wont ever be a 184, Cael will bring in somebody for that after 3 years of Nickal at 184 most likely. Although I suppose Nickal could be a 197 if needed, but we have Cassar for 3 years yet.

Reactions: KidNittany

It's been discussed a lot but the basic gist is Manville is going to end up a 57/65. He'll start if he wins a spot, like anyone else on the roster. There hasn't been any new news, although every new thread seems to bring up the same argument about how he doesn't fit (not true). Last news I've personally heard was he walks around 190 by Willie. Take that as what you will. Very very unlikely we see him at 49, although he bonused his way through Preps at 52 this past year.

Your scenario is technically possible but I really don't see it as likely. He will likely redshirt then the coaches will figure out the lineup next year when it comes. My personal guess is he redshirts this year, or grayshirts then redshirts and takes over 57 when Nolf is done. If he can't stay at 57, same situation except when Joseph is done.

More likely Shakur goes 174 this year and Hall shirts. Also, Mark Hall wont ever be a 184, Cael will bring in somebody for that after 3 years of Nickal at 184 most likely. Although I suppose Nickal could be a 197 if needed, but we have Cassar for 3 years yet.
Hall will help Sharkur be a great 174 pounder if that's the plan...I WANT BO AT 174 FOR MANY REASONS THIS YEAR !!!!

It's been discussed a lot but the basic gist is Manville is going to end up a 57/65. He'll start if he wins a spot, like anyone else on the roster. There hasn't been any new news, although every new thread seems to bring up the same argument about how he doesn't fit (not true). Last news I've personally heard was he walks around 190 by Willie. Take that as what you will. Very very unlikely we see him at 49, although he bonused his way through Preps at 52 this past year.

Your scenario is technically possible but I really don't see it as likely. He will likely redshirt then the coaches will figure out the lineup next year when it comes. My personal guess is he redshirts this year, or grayshirts then redshirts and takes over 57 when Nolf is done. If he can't stay at 57, same situation except when Joseph is done.
Manville is way to short for 157 !!!!

If Gavin Teasdale redshirts he'll be like 36 as a senior :)not bad if you returned from a Mormon Mission, but Gavin will be oldest kid at his high school, Fact!
Teasdale has been held back for wrestling 3 times in high school....No wonder he is not a PSU kid where academics matter....I remember John Hughes father telling me he took his boys the hughes brothers on a visit to Iowa..The father ask about the academics and Gable said "We don't worry or not even concern about academics....Both Hughes bothers committed to PSU....Teasdale and his buddy may not like the way Cael talks about God and life....Who knows....Just super glad they are going to Iowa now and can act however....lol

Teasdale has been held back for wrestling 3 times in high school....No wonder he is not a PSU kid where academics matter....I remember John Hughes father telling me he took his boys the hughes brothers on a visit to Iowa..The father ask about the academics and Gable said "We don't worry or not even concern about academics....Both Hughes bothers committed to PSU....Teasdale and his buddy may not like the way Cael talks about God and life....Who knows....Just super glad they are going to Iowa now and can act however....lol
anigif_original-grid-image-19997-1377204953-25.gif

Thanks, is Hall unlikely to ever move to 84 because of his height?

Survey says:

352604-family-feud-genesis-screenshot-only-three-wrong-answers-are.gif

AJ Nevills doesn't seem to get recognition. I think he will beat out Casser if not this year, next year.

Well said, especially the bolded part. Way back when Manville committed he was projected at 149. However, he wrestled 75kg (165 pounds) at the Olympic Trials this year and that is with day before weigh-ins. Hard to say what weight he will end up at, but it certainly doesn't look like 149.

Well said, especially the bolded part. Way back when Manville committed he was projected at 149. However, he wrestled 75kg (165 pounds) at the Olympic Trials this year and that is with day before weigh-ins. Hard to say what weight he will end up at, but it certainly doesn't look like 149.
I don't think he'll ever see 149, but Bo Nickal is evidence that a weigh at the trials isn't all you need to know.

I don't think he'll ever see 149, but Bo Nickal is evidence that a weigh at the trials isn't all you need to know.

I don't understand the Nickal point. I certainly didn't expect him to wrestle at 163, but Manville could have wrestled 145. The fact that he didn't leads me to believe I doubt he is wrestling 149 2+ years from now. .

I don't understand why some people get bent out of shape when someone says they don't see how Manville fits in the lineup? It's a valid question, at least for the first few years of his eligibility. Looking at the age group and talent level of the guys at 157-174, it's hard to come up with a plan where he starts prior to his junior year that doesn't involve a grey shirt.

Reactions: jack66
I don't understand why some people get bent out of shape when someone says they don't see how Manville fits in the lineup? It's a valid question, at least for the first few years of his eligibility. Looking at the age group and talent level of the guys at 157-174, it's hard to come up with a plan where he starts prior to his junior year that doesn't involve a grey shirt.
And I don't understand why some people need to inject something that doesn't exist in this thread. Who in this thread got bent out of shape about Manville's projected lineup spot?

And I don't understand why some people need to inject something that doesn't exist in this thread. Who in this thread got bent out of shape about Manville's projected lineup spot?

I prefer not to single out individual posters. Suffice it to say every time this subject is brought up, we have a few people who summarily dismiss anyone that questions where Mason fits despite never offering any plausible paths to the starting lineup. Granted it's more subtle in this thread then some of the others, but the underlying tone is still there.

btw, Sorry that I got you are all bent of out shape about this.

Some people fail to see that people are individuals and the recruiting thought process is different for each.

I, for one, am very happy to see a recruit pick PSU because he feels that it is the best place to achieve his goals despite not having a "walk" into the starting lineup. This recruit is smart enough to know that things change very rapidly in the world of college wrestling, people grow, develop at different paces, injuries, outside pressures come into play, etc.

Being able to compete early is not the be all end all for everyone. In Manville's case they are obviously focused on his development both in wrestling and academics. I've seen the kid compete since he was 11 or 12 - it seems to have always been that way. Go back and watch his interviews. One of the reasons he picked PSU was because he thought the coaching style would improve one of his weaknesses. Another was his intended program of study. Another was the international style training available - we tend to discount his aspirations there.

Circle back on this in a couple of years. I'd expect that certain posters will not be here or will be very quiet on the situation. I expect good things out of MM.

WTF? Have you gone crazy? Or is Teasdale a secret sociopath?
Or are you a secret sociopath?

stop_this_shit.jpg

I am quite confident that Coach C is interested in getting the most out of every kid in the room. Depth is a luxury that most programs can't afford. We have seen plenty of kids taking advantage of getting their shot. No reason it should be any different with Manville or anyone else in the room.

Some people fail to see that people are individuals and the recruiting thought process is different for each.

I, for one, am very happy to see a recruit pick PSU because he feels that it is the best place to achieve his goals despite not having a "walk" into the starting lineup. This recruit is smart enough to know that things change very rapidly in the world of college wrestling, people grow, develop at different paces, injuries, outside pressures come into play, etc.

Being able to compete early is not the be all end all for everyone. In Manville's case they are obviously focused on his development both in wrestling and academics. I've seen the kid compete since he was 11 or 12 - it seems to have always been that way. Go back and watch his interviews. One of the reasons he picked PSU was because he thought the coaching style would improve one of his weaknesses. Another was his intended program of study. Another was the international style training available - we tend to discount his aspirations there.

Circle back on this in a couple of years. I'd expect that certain posters will not be here or will be very quiet on the situation. I expect good things out of MM.

Just because someone questions how he fits in the lineup doesn't mean they think he won't be a good college wrestler or that he isn't wanted on the team. Those conclusions are not mutually exclusive. I think people question the situation because the team is bringing in a top 10 wrestler for presumably some scholarship money yet we're not quite sure how he fits. Usually when the guy is ranked that high the path is clear and it fills a team need however in this case it's difficult to project when and where he ends up starting, especially when you add in the questions of what weight. 1st world problems to be sure, but it's still a bit frustrating to potentially have a guy as talented as Mason on the sidelines for half his career or more.

Last edited:
If everyone is doing it WHO gets an advantage?
If everyone is doing it WHO gets an advantage?
Certainly not everyone. I'd say probably take a look at the top ten and I'd be surprised if the majority aren't "old" for their grade. Maybe I'm wrong, I've never looked that closely. My kid was a 12 yr old 7th grader last year. He had no problem with Jr high competition. No comparison though between him last year and this year. Bigger, stronger faster. Just growing up.

The only thing more annoying than another Manville thread is the possibility of told you so threads in the future. On both sides of the debate. But that's the interwebs for you.

This type of thing puts food on peoples table that otherwise might be digging ditches.

Greatest country in the world that allows people to create a business model around speculation of HS athletes future successes. Fact!

Jefe- Is it just as creepy to watch a kid develop at age 11-12 as it is 6yrs old, or is it just more fashionable to take shots at Spyker?;)

ADVERTISEMENT