ADVERTISEMENT

2023 lineup…deepest PSU lineup ever?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
For the sake of discussion, let’s say Howard is healthy, Carter is back and Mesenbrink wrestles. Is this the deepest PSU lineup ever from top to bottom? One step further and probably more in question, is it the BEST PSU lineup in history? Just some fun offseason discussion…

25 R Howard
33 A Nagao
41 B Bartlett
49 S Van Ness
57 M Mesenbrink/ L Haines
65 M Mesenbrink/ L Haines
74 C Starocci
84 B Truax
97 A Brooks
HW D Kerkvliet

Last edited:
I think it’s both even if Howard isn’t healthy and Mesenbrink redshirts. If Carter doesn’t return, I’m not so sure.

Reactions: NittanyChris
For the sake of discussion, let’s say Howard is healthy, Carter is back and Mesenbrink wrestles. Is this the deepest PSU lineup ever from top to bottom? One step further and probably more in question, is it the BEST PSU lineup in history? Just some fun offseason discussion…

25 R Howard
33 A Nagao
41 B Bartlett
49 S Van Ness
64 M Mesenbrink/ L Haines
74 C Starocci
84 B Truax
97 A Brooks
HW D Kerkvliet
Did I miss a weight change @64

Levi cut NO weight at 157.

25 R Howard
33 A Nagao
41 B Bartlett
49 S Van Ness
64 M Mesenbrink/ L Haines
74 C Starocci
84 B Truax
97 A Brooks
HW D Kerkvliet
Without a doubt

Reactions: NittanyChris
Hard to say if McHenry is ready for the big strong guys at his class, but he's a decent backup plan if Howard isn't able to compete--though I sure am hoping Robbie can have a healthy season.

Depending on how many finalists we get (seems the easiest path to big points, anyway), we could easily score our most points ever this year--sure hope everyone gets and stays healthy!

I got no idea who we put out at 157 & 165. I feel like Messenbrink might be too good to shirt though, and Levi has earned the chance to make his own call on redshirting.

Meanwhile, Facundo can go full feed while training w/ Starocci, Nolf, and Dake and come back as our 174 starter.

I just know Carter is following the Steveson tease playbook, and I'll eat my son's headgear if he doesn't come back to win at least 4--though I suppose if he really wants to go 74kg at trials, I could see him taking that Olympic shirt too.

Last edited:
Just curious out of levi/mitchell who has a better chance at 65. It seems either one could be a finalist at 57.

McHenry is a likely NQ IMO. Can't expect much more than that but definitely very good insurance for Howard, who hasn't wrestled folk for 2 and a half years now. High teens to low 20s ranking is probably appropriate for him.

He has some solid wins:
15-7 over Nick Babin (R16 last year)
Jake Ferri (2x NQ)
Anthony Molton (who beat Ramos last year)
He obviously beat Jack Medley also

Everyone is high on the fact he was in SV with Figs last year and almost won the 50-50 position and that he easily took down Cronin before he got hurt (collided heads). I wouldn't extrapolate a 47 second match and a L into anything but those results are unfortunately more of a sure thing than what Howard could give us and definitely more than what Steen gave us last year. You feel comfortable that he won't get blown out at least.

Another option is to wrestle Braeden Davis at 125. Hear me out, it sounds crazy but realistically, it's iffy how many years he'll get in the lineup with Lilledahl coming in and Nagao having 3 more years. If he's our best option then let's wrestle him! Kids like having a shot early and to be a part of this lineup? I bet he'd be all in.

Assuming Starocci wrestles, Penn State starts the year with 8 Top 3 ranked wrestlers ... with Mesenbrink not being one of them lol.

Nagao - 3
Bartlett - 2 (Alirez redshirting)
Van Ness - 2 (put Lovett ahead of him)
Haines - 1 (put him ahead of Sasso and Teemer IMO since he has the best 157 finish of them all)
Starocci - 1
Truax - 2
Brooks - 1
Kerkvliet - 1

Then you have Mesenbrink who just tech falled his way through Junior 74 and winning that weight correlates with strong NCAA results usually (see Mark Hall, Mekhi Lewis, Keegan O'Toole, David Carr)

Even 125 ... it's a weight with parity so just getting a guy there gets you a chance to pick up some points.

Are there any two teams that could realistically combine their lineups (at their projected weights for NCAAs, no bumping) to beat Penn State in a dual?

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Iowa 22-9, without Messenbrink, with losses at 125, 141 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Mizzou 24-6, without Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU beating tOSU 30-3, without Messenbrink, with a loss at 157 (doubt).

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Michigan 27-6, no Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU oven Nebraska 25-6, no Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 184. It predicts Bartlett over Hardy and SVN over Lovett, which are possible but not what I would've predicted, and then Lenny-never-been-an-AA-Pinto over 3x AA, #3 Bernie Truax.

Nagao - 3
Haines - 1 (put him ahead of Sasso and Teemer IMO since he has the best 157 finish of them all)
Starocci - 1
Truax - 2
Brooks - 1
Kerkvliet - 1

Then you have Mesenbrink...
It might be better if they just start to do away with rankings all together. Build suspense through ignorance.

2nd string lineup is a ranked team:

125: McHenry
133: Davis
141: Evans
149: Pierce
157: Barraclough
165: Facundo/Mesenbrink
174: Kraeszig
184: Ball
197: Cochran
285: Hoopes

There’s 5+ NQs in there.

Reactions: We Are . . .
2nd string lineup is a ranked team:

125: McHenry
133: Davis
141: Evans
149: Pierce
157: Barraclough
165: Facundo/Mesenbrink
174: Kraeszig
184: Ball
197: Cochran
285: Hoopes

There’s 5+ NQs in there.
Kasak, Gibson, Barr,...? Redshirts aside not a bad squad and likely 2nd string national champions as well.

Reactions: mcpat
Are there any two teams that could realistically combine their lineups (at their projected weights for NCAAs, no bumping) to beat Penn State in a dual?

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Iowa 22-9, without Messenbrink, with losses at 125, 141 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Mizzou 24-6, without Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU beating tOSU 30-3, without Messenbrink, with a loss at 157 (doubt).

Wrestlestat has PSU beating Michigan 27-6, no Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 165.

Wrestlestat has PSU oven Nebraska 25-6, no Messenbrink, with losses at 125 and 184. It predicts Bartlett over Hardy and SVN over Lovett, which are possible but not what I would've predicted, and then Lenny-never-been-an-AA-Pinto over 3x AA, #3 Bernie Truax.

Nebraska and Va Tech could team up to field a squad with 7 top 5 wrestlers.

That's with no one bumping up. If Andonian or Robb could bump to 165 then they could possibly have 8. Though I doubt either would be top 5 at 165.

That's with no one bumping up. If Andonian or Robb could bump to 165 then they could possibly have 8. Though I doubt either would be top 5 at 165.
Speaking of Robb, does anyone know how he is progressing from the medical issues he experienced after NCAA's last year?

I think there is a realistic chance that all PSU wrestlers lose a 1 v 2 battle. Have you ever tried wrestling two people at once.... that's not easy. 😉

Penn State still takes 133, 157, 174, 184, 197 and 285. 165, if Messenbrink goes. I’d think PSU wins 1 of 2 matches at 141/149, too.

Honestly has there ever been a team with 8 top three ranked wrestlers? And that doesn't account for Messinbrink. Nine guys with a realistic shot at top three? Maybe six of those with real shot at an NCAA Championship. What team has ever looked better? When the worst kid on your team is Robby Howard…a NQ when he was hurt…youre doing alright!

Assuming Starocci wrestles, Penn State starts the year with 8 Top 3 ranked wrestlers ... with Mesenbrink not being one of them lol.

Nagao - 3
Starocci - 1
Truax - 2
Brooks - 1
Kerkvliet - 1

Then you have Mesenbrink who just tech falled his way through Junior 74 and winning that weight correlates with strong NCAA results usually (see Mark Hall, Mekhi Lewis, Keegan O'Toole, David Carr)

Even 125 ... it's a weight with parity so just getting a guy there gets you a chance to pick up some points.

So using those rankings as placements, without considering 125 and 165 and without bonus, that's 142 points. Wow...

Reactions: mcpat
It better be the best lineup ever because there is an overwhelming consensus that we need 8-10 scoring wrestlers to win the 2024 NCAA championship. 😁

You guys don't seem to.mind slighting previous starters one bit

I'm hoping that you aren't referring to me. But just in case, when I said without considering 125 and 165, I only meant in regards to preseason rankings. Howard and Facundo both certainly have the capability of also being AAs.

It may not be possible to clinch before Friday night but it's fun to think about.

It may not be possible to clinch before Friday night but it's fun to think about.
5337bcd5-3bdd-4b91-8037-dfef994b5e9f_text.gif

It better be the best lineup ever because there is an overwhelming consensus that we need 8-10 scoring wrestlers to win the 2024 NCAA championship. 😁
I am not jinxing anything, but if history tells us anything, August and March are years apart, despite being in the same season.

As long as Cael is the coach it's hard not to be confident and enthusiastic, and I remain both. The math don't lie, and this years math is a no brainer.

It is looking to be a season for the ages, but I am going to focus on November destruction. Visions of March can wait until at least the new year.

Last edited:

25 R Howard
33 A Nagao
41 B Bartlett
49 S Van Ness
65 M Mesenbrink/ L Haines
74 C Starocci
84 B Truax
97 A Brooks
HW D Kerkvliet
Is Howard freshman eligible?

ADVERTISEMENT