ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Rider 2/20

A lot of positives this dual
1. Seems like guys we were worried about health wise are good (Carter, Max, Kerk)
2. Brady seems to have his tank at 157
3. Hildebrandt looks fantastic, that kid he wrestled doesn't get bonused except against elite guys.
4. Nick Lee had a scare that should motivate him (but he left with a W still)
5. Beau got bonus against a guy he should get bonus against.
Klinsky, who Hildebrandt pinned, has 4 previous losses where opponent bonused him.

Antonio Mininno Drexel WBF 6:54

Pat Glory Princeton MD 15-3

Anthony Noto Lock Haven MD 13-5

Beau Bayless Harvard WBF 2:38

1 out of 4 is elite.

Klinsky, who Hildebrandt pinned, has 4 previous losses where opponent bonused him.

Antonio Mininno Drexel WBF 6:54

Pat Glory Princeton MD 15-3

Anthony Noto Lock Haven MD 13-5

Beau Bayless Harvard WBF 2:38

1 out of 4 is elite.
You're right, Hildebrandt is going to finish 1-2 at Nationals. I heard every Iowa fan says that actually.

Reactions: nitlion6
Those two bouts against McComas indicate that Berege had a successful descent to 157. Beyond that, probably not much.
Byers was off his game today, the scoreboard had Berge wrestling a different wrestler first match. Checked box score says McComas I’m confused

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
My original post i said i was to lazy to use google.....
My guess was wrong and I should have just used google to start with.....
My recollection isn't always spot on
I’m fairly certain you weren’t the first and won’t be the last to post something that turns out to be incorrect. If you want to feel better, go visit the Berge is 165 thread.

Yep, heard JB say the same thing, although he seemed to indicate no one really knows what RBY will do (wrestle for PSU next year, wrestle somewhere else, get going on a freestyle career, or start fighting).
RBY wants to fight and train back home. He won’t be going to another school to wrestle. We’ll see. He might change his mind if he doesn’t defend his title.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
A lot of positives this dual
1. Seems like guys we were worried about health wise are good (Carter, Max, Kerk)
2. Brady seems to have his tank at 157
3. Hildebrandt looks fantastic, that kid he wrestled doesn't get bonused except against elite guys.
4. Nick Lee had a scare that should motivate him (but he left with a W still)
5. Beau got bonus against a guy he should get bonus against.
Kerk and Max looked 100%. Carter wrestled with 1.5 hands. He’ll need both for Bigs.

Hopefully it’s the first 3 bouts he wrestles then. Cause that’s 6th place.
In which case he should grow a stache.

B9316626042Z.1_20150316164618_000_G8RA855TP.1-0.jpg

I’m fairly certain you weren’t the first and won’t be the last to post something that turns out to be incorrect. If you want to feel better, go visit the Berge is 165 thread.
Thanks!
I saw the original poster modified the Berge title. The thread remains and hasn’t aged well beginning with the first sentence
“Can people now please get comfortable with Berge at 165 and quit saying Berge has to go down to 157”

I appreciate the guy that started my brain fart by saying PSU was 95-2 in their last dual meets. Got me trying to remember who were the 2 losses today. I got one of the 2 correct Iowa but guessing they were the ones to break our 60 win streak was incorrect. It was ASU

Reactions: johnstownsteel
BTN is anti-American!
not sure if you are being facetious, or if you are serious?? but to be honest the fact very few seem to think this is an issue is far more telling than how Berge does at 157. AND coming into this match I cared more than a TON about that!!!

Reactions: SOCLion
ASU ended PSU 60 match dual win streak, Nov 2019
We later lost to Iowa that same year
Yep - I remember that loss. Caught an afternoon flight out of Atlanta into Sky Harbor. Barely made it to the match for the start. It had a bad vibe from the start. It was good to see the ASU fans all fired up for once. Enough …. that was as they used to say in the 60’s …. A BAD TRIP!

Reactions: lions#1
Thanks!
I saw the original poster modified the Berge title. The thread remains and hasn’t aged well beginning with the first sentence
“Can people now please get comfortable with Berge at 165 and quit saying Berge has to go down to 157”

I appreciate the guy that started my brain fart by saying PSU was 95-2 in their last dual meets. Got me trying to remember who were the 2 losses today. I got one of the 2 correct Iowa but guessing they were the ones to break our 60 win streak was incorrect. It was ASU
You’re good. I’m wrong most of the time here. Do as I do, when you do luck into being right, make sure everyone knows about it. Ain’t that right @Dogwelder ? Lol

I don’t understand Nick’s match management.
Yeah, I thought Nick could have played catch & release in the 3rd, but he’s good on top & maybe he thought he could get back points.

That said, Kinner’s a tough out. Not much offense, but he’s a good rider and difficult to score on.

I don’t understand Nick’s match management.
Nick's match management plan was to get out from bottom in the 2nd period, then maybe get a takedown by the end of the 2nd. Didn't work out that way.

But the match management was okay, just the execution that was lacking. But then Quinner had something to do with that.

JM, If Ayala is healthy, who do you like between Drake and Drew? Bummer we missed that matchup at Carver.
I think it’s a true toss up. If Drake can’t take him down he’s not going to win on the mat. Drew is too tough on top.

Yeah, I thought Nick could have played catch & release in the 3rd, but he’s good on top & maybe he thought he could get back points.

That said, Kinner’s a tough out. Not much offense, but he’s a good rider and difficult to score on.
I thought it was 'you ride me, I can ride you'.... he also wanted to get riding time under 1 min.... Nick looked fine....even Steiber was ridden out :)

He wasn’t still attending classes at Cornell? Are you sure?
Pretty sure. Definitely sure he wasn't there for his ORS. Ivy rules are pretty strict: you use your eligibility if you are enrolled (that's why there are no redshirt Ivy Leaguers), and you can't compete as a graduate student. It's not unusual for a top Cornell guy (like Palacio) to not enroll in a fall semester so as to not graduate before using up his eligibility.

Greyshirt
Cornell freshman
Cornell sophomore
ORS (not enrolled)
COVID year (not enrolled)
PSU junior (now)

He'll be 25 if he competes next year!

Kerk and Max looked 100%. Carter wrestled with 1.5 hands. He’ll need both for Bigs.
Think Carter will have the other 0.5 by BIGs, what’s the injury? A tweaked wrist ? Just last week Berge was a 165, n Kerk was out for the season with a hamstring tear and max Dean could barely walk , I love this place , lol.

Reactions: BOSCO2
Byers was off his game today, the scoreboard had Berge wrestling a different wrestler first match. Checked box score says McComas I’m confused
Byers was indeed off his game today. He thought the first stall warning in the 174 bout was against Rider (it was clearly called on Starocci), didn't realize the review in the 184 bout was a coaches challenge, and then was initially confused about Berge's opponent in the extra match. To be fair though, he pretty quickly corrected the mistake about the Rider wrestler in the extra match

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Fun to watch RBY put on one final TD clinic in Rec Hall! Donovan Ball is a tough dude and could probably start at a lot of programs. Much appreciation to him for sticking around. Max and Kerk wasted no time at all! Impressive. Berge looked perfectly comfortable at 157. All the hand wringing about him gassing there appears overblown. Carter remains nasty. Has two more weeks for that wrist to heal fully. Beau got some points and could be rounding into form for the postseason. Nick better not take bottom vs Eierman. There’s no need to, beat him on his feet and with his gas tank.

Seems as though we’re exactly where we want to be as the postseason nears! Great to be a PSU Alumnus and fan!

WE ARE!!!

Last edited:
not sure if you are being facetious, or if you are serious?? but to be honest the fact very few seem to think this is an issue is far more telling than how Berge does at 157. AND coming into this match I cared more than a TON about that!!!
Before you have a stroke, could have been something as simple as BTN+ only had Byers audio feed and no access to the PA announcer / singer mic.

The BTN-plus technical productions always seem to be bare bones, but at least we get to see live wrestling

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT