ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Iowa

I think Kerk gassed out immediately after he was thrown onto his back. Not much unlike Mark going for a throw against Kem and not getting it. It doesn't get harder than this environment to wrestle in. Kerk will learn. I'm not worried about him on bottom seeing how he got out no issues against Parris last week. Not sure how they seed Big Tens to be honest.
i think the big ten seeding is pretty straight forward 1) gable 2) cass 3) kerk 4) parris. cass and parris won't hit and cass' second loss is outside the big ten. this obviously assumes cass wins out.

the biggest loser tonight was mason parris. he has almost no shot of being opposite gable at ncaa's unless he falls to 6 somehow.

i think the big ten seeding is pretty straight forward 1) gable 2) cass 3) kerk 4) parris. cass and parris won't hit and cass' second loss is outside the big ten. this obviously assumes cass wins out.

the biggest loser tonight was mason parris. he has almost no shot of being opposite gable at ncaa's unless he falls to 6 somehow.
Semi finals of Big Tens, Parris rolls to his back against Hillger and gives up the 2+4

Parris: "Oops"

Agreed with how B1Gs will be seeded. Gonna be huge for whoever wins the Kerk/Cass semi. Most likely will get 3 seed at nationals with loser going to 4/5 spot.

Kerk doesn’t go upper body next time with Cass and takes the next one!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Semi finals of Big Tens, Parris rolls to his back against Hillger and gives up the 2+4

Parris: "Oops"
he actually needs to lose to lance in the nebraska dual in hopes of falling to the 6 at big tens behind davison and lance. then he could - in theory - beat kerk and cass to make the finals and maybe that would be enough for the committee to give him the 3.

Agreed with how B1Gs will be seeded. Gonna be huge for whoever wins the Kerk/Cass semi. Most likely will get 3 seed at nationals with loser going to 4/5 spot.

Kerk doesn’t go upper body next time with Cass and takes the next one!
and imo immediately become the favorite to take 2nd. i think either beat schultz this year (though tonight's performance gives me some pause for kerk with schultz's size and greco background).

pretty genius move by zeke holding him out of the kerk match. he basically has the 2 locked up.

pretty genius move by zeke holding him out of the kerk match. he basically has the 2 locked up.
Biggest duck move I’ve ever witnessed. Big Colton headgear on and ready to go and then the little weasel pushing him back.

jones held him out against Michigan as well

I have no idea how it would’ve played out but I feel Karma will be a bitch.

Notice how Arizona State been losing to everyone since the beat down? Karma…

I think the results of today's match gives both teams reason for optimism. Carter/Kemerer will be a Hip battle to the end every time. You can call Kemdog Grandpa but he still has top 3 hips in the NCAA. Cass's win and the closeness of 133 and 141 and 197 ( for 2 1/2 periods ) gives both fan groups reason to believe. Both coaches were unsatisfied and both team's fans thought Rivera sucked big-time. Lots of reasons to look forward to March :)

Your shtick gets old after a while.
Yeah. Madden often uses a GIF just to say something mundane that words would have sufficed for. When the animation adds almost nothing, then it’s a waste of the reader’s time to have to look at it. Such a GIF is kind of like a metaphor that adds nothing—no insight nor delight.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Watching the replay of the Desanto RBY match. Desanto can bitch all he wants about RBY and his ankle stalemate but Desanto was dirty as hell in trying to RIP off RBY's thumb off his hand.

Right after RBY got that quick takedown at the end of the second period, Desanto came to his feet and tried to peel off the hands by only grabbing RBYs right thumb and ripping it upwards. Clearly illegal and right in front of the ref. Dirty move.

You’re right, forgot about Drew - he got it done. But yes think RBY regressed from what he’s done lately against ADS. Sure he was never in jeopardy with those leg attacks, but thought he would handle him easier based on last couple matches.
You mean the 5-2 match in the Big10 semi-finals?

How tall is Bartlett? He looks so short out there but crazy strong. Iowa’s page actually lists their wrestlers heights (why doesn’t every team do this?) and it has Murin at 5’8”. Bartlett is closer to Spencer Lee (listed at 5’3” lol) than Murin. He has to be the shortest 149 in the country.

He’s a great wrestler but he’d make one hell of a powerlifter in the future.

Reactions: Ski
Brands are crazy and should be banned from wrestling!

Desanto should be in prison!

Iowa cries about stalling and it’s bad for wrestling!

Cael is the greatest coach of all coaches in the history of coaches!

If you want to win national titles the only school to go to is Penn St!

Brands make their guys hate wrestling!

It’s what we do!

My prediction? Pain!

And the dynasty….just….got….stronger!

Cael and Casey are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers!

Your best post ever. Usually there is something you are wrong about, but you nailed that one.

Kemerer never had the Merkle and was never should have been awarded a TD, and typical Angel he was wrong about the importance of the time running out. Kemerer never laced the leg.

Warner could have been stalled out.
Dean had the reversal at the end of the first.

Berge was disappointing. I don't believe Edsell allows himself to be bullied by Marinelli like Berge did. I am OK with Berge wrestling wherever he wants, but if he wants an AA medal 157 is the weight he needs to wrestle.

Beau simply got out toughed by Max. I was hoping Beau would respond to Max trying to out tough him. I did not see the response I was hoping for. Moving forward will be telling.

RBY deserved to be called for stalling both times.

After a while DeSanto was no longer interested in finishing his shots, he was afraid to cut the corner knowing that cradle was coming. However, shooting in on RBY's legs did two things for DeSanto. It kept RBY out of his offense and provided DeSanto the opportunity to maybe get another stall call(point).

Sure, don’t mind if I do.

I’m glad you’ve watched a lot of wrestling. I’ve watched some, too. I may have even wrestled a little myself. The PSU coaches may not have been pleased with how Kerk wrestled that match.

None of the above has any bearing on whether Kerk has “fire” or wrestled that particular match with “fire”. I disagree with your bolded statement, based on the examples I had already provided.

Kerk probably strayed from the gameplan, and he did not execute well. But don’t tell me a wrestler of his caliber, credentials, and personal history doesn’t have “fire”.
What's got you so fired up? Compared to how Kerk wrestled Parris last week, it's fair to say he had a lot less logs on the fire against Cass. He had a nice firey double to start though.

Reactions: Antaeus
Kemerer never had the Merkle and was never should have been awarded a TD, and typical Angel he was wrong about the importance of the time running out. Kemerer never laced the leg.

Warner could have been stalled out.
Dean had the reversal at the end of the first.

Berge was disappointing. I don't believe Edsell allows himself to be bullied by Marinelli like Berge did. I am OK with Berge wrestling wherever he wants, but if he wants an AA medal 157 is the weight he needs to wrestle.

Beau simply got out toughed by Max. I was hoping Beau would respond to Max trying to out tough him. I did not see the response I was hoping for. Moving forward will be telling.

RBY deserved to be called for stalling both times.

After a while DeSanto was no longer interested in finishing his shots, he was afraid to cut the corner knowing that cradle was coming. However, shooting in on RBY's legs did two things for DeSanto. It kept RBY out of his offense and provided DeSanto the opportunity to maybe get another stall call(point).
Meh to the DeSanto match. RBY spent most of the time sizing up AD’s adjustments to try and beat him. Just checking things out for Bigs and NCAA. Why bother showing your hand when you know you have a shot ADS can’t defend…and didn’t on the only two shots taken.

I have some easy questions. Just looking for some answers.
1). Didn’t Penn State wrestle Iowa at their place last year? Why wasn’t this match at home?
2). The Iowa 165, Marinelli, appeared to be exhibiting roid rage. Do they test wrestlers for drugs?
3). The two midgets that coach Iowa showed no mat side discipline or composure. Do their antics ever get them in trouble?
I thought it was a great match where every weight was close. The better team won.

The simple reality is that the various marquis bouts were matches between tough, pretty evenly matched guys. They were destined to be pretty low scoring and tight. The Rivera factor more or less was a wash over the course of the matches. If this were repeated ten times, I suspect you’d end up with a pretty comparable overall result 8 of those ten times.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Any chance someone can post what the rule book says about the merkle takedown? Iowa fans think they got robbed there; Penn State fans think the clock saved them from being robbed.

How tall is Bartlett? He looks so short out there but crazy strong. Iowa’s page actually lists their wrestlers heights (why doesn’t every team do this?) and it has Murin at 5’8”. Bartlett is closer to Spencer Lee (listed at 5’3” lol) than Murin. He has to be the shortest 149 in the country.

I know he should have gone to OSU
;)

Yeah. Madden often uses a GIF just to say something mundane that words would have sufficed for. When the animation adds almost nothing, then it’s a waste of the reader’s time to have to look at it. Such a GIF is kind of like a metaphor that adds nothing—no insight nor delight.

Wow, Dogwelder in a mood.

Didn't folks on your board say he and all the other PSU wrestlers looked way bigger than Iowa? That had to be a first.

This sounds like an HR post. Bull ragrolled Berge - we just gotta take that one and hope to get better.
Berge took 0 steps forward for 7 minutes and got hit for a stall 40 seconds into the match, I believe two later on .

Assad took 0 steps forward and got one at the end of the second.

My point isn’t that Brady didn’t get rag dolled, he did. That’s not a major in any other arena.

Watching the replay of the Desanto RBY match. Desanto can bitch all he wants about RBY and his ankle stalemate but Desanto was dirty as hell in trying to RIP off RBY's thumb off his hand.

Right after RBY got that quick takedown at the end of the second period, Desanto came to his feet and tried to peel off the hands by only grabbing RBYs right thumb and ripping it upwards. Clearly illegal and right in front of the ref. Dirty move.
Not enough counseling on Earth to help that kid.

Reactions: danoftw and Ski
Any chance someone can post what the rule book says about the merkle takedown? Iowa fans think they got robbed there; Penn State fans think the clock saved them from being robbed.

I don't have a copy of the rule book and don't know where to find it online (the rule about a Merkle, not the rulebook itself), but it appears that Kemerer never had a takedown and the clock had nothing to do with it (for a Merkle, you need to have control of the shoulders AND have the leg intertwined). No idea why Rivera called a takedown since it wasn't one. From a purely editorial perspective, the Merkle is almost entirely a bullshit move/call anyway. Guys use it at times to get a cheap takedown but never do anything from that position. Just my opinion (and why I say it's an editorial perspective).

I have some easy questions. Just looking for some answers.
1). Didn’t Penn State wrestle Iowa at their place last year? Why wasn’t this match at home?
2). The Iowa 165, Marinelli, appeared to be exhibiting roid rage. Do they test wrestlers for drugs?
3). The two midgets that coach Iowa showed no mat side discipline or composure. Do their antics ever get them in trouble?
I thought it was a great match where every weight was close. The better team won.
1. Iowa and PSU did not wrestle last season

2. Marinelli is about the least likely guy to fail a drug test

3. Let’s try to enjoy the win magnanimously

"Wow, Dogwelder in a mood."

Another possibility - that was definitely a more than one beer dual. If you read everyone's posts starting at the beginning, you'll notice a trend towards less inhibited discussion as the thread progressed. Perfectly understandable considering the circumstances!

A very minor strategy quibble in a night of very tough, gritty performances by our guys in a hostile environment.

Both Brooks and Kerk were on top to start the 3rd and both needed points for different reasons; Kerk was behind, Brooks wanted a major.

Both rode their guy for a bit, Kerk was something like 22 seconds and Brooks rode for like 16 seconds. Riding time was not an issue. Isn’t that just completely wasted, precious time when you need/want points? Why just not give them the point and start on your feet? Did they think they could get a turn? Trying to get a short breather on top?

Again, admittedly an extremely minor quibble in a great night, but I was curious about it.

WE ARE!!!

I don't have a copy of the rule book and don't know where to find it online (the rule about a Merkle, not the rulebook itself), but it appears that Kemerer never had a takedown and the clock had nothing to do with it (for a Merkle, you need to have control of the shoulders AND have the leg intertwined). No idea why Rivera called a takedown since it wasn't one. From a purely editorial perspective, the Merkle is almost entirely a bullshit move/call anyway. Guys use it at times to get a cheap takedown but never do anything from that position. Just my opinion (and why I say it's an editorial perspective).

There is a very famous move off the Merkel - I forget what it's called. Essentially, it's a reverse Grapevine just like the Merkel is a reverse figure-4 of the leg with the inside leg.... after you have the Merkel in (often times wrestlers will lock it by wrapping outer leg over the Merkeling foot/ankle at the knee), they then trap opponent's arm behind them using a reverse headlock and roll opponent backwards onto their back into effectively a reverse Grapevine position (some also call Grapevine a "Guillotine" depending what region your from). Kind of like a Spladle is a reverse can-opener.... this move off Merkel is effectively a reverse Grapevine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT