ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Iowa

A very minor strategy quibble in a night of very tough, gritty performances by our guys in a hostile environment.

Both Brooks and Kerk were on top to start the 3rd and both needed points for different reasons; Kerk was behind, Brooks wanted a major.

Both rode their guy for a bit, Kerk was something like 22 seconds and Brooks rode for like 16 seconds. Riding time was not an issue. Isn’t that just completely wasted, precious time when you need/want points? Why just not give them the point and start on your feet? Did they think they could get a turn? Trying to get a short breather on top?

Again, admittedly an extremely minor quibble in a great night, but I was curious about it.

WE ARE!!!
Especially with Brooks, I don’t mind seeing if a turn is possible before cutting the guy without wasting too much time when it’s not there. Catch and release nets one point; a turn nets 4 in four secs.

Reactions: nitlion6
No, PSU fans understand that the leg was never laced for the Merkle. The clock was not the factor.
Except for the part where the ref said “After review, the clock had run out. No Takedown.”

Thus the reason I’m asking about the rule as I thought it required leg lace too.

Except for the part where the ref said “After review, the clock had run out. No Takedown.”

Thus the reason I’m asking about the rule as I thought it required leg lace too.
If that’s what he said, thenAngel getting it right was pure luck, even if it wasn’t for the right reason.

I would have to watch the tape to see if he said that or the talking heads said that.

If that’s what he said, thenAngel getting it right was pure luck, even if it wasn’t for the right reason.

I would have to watch the tape to see if he said that or the talking heads said that.
I’ll rewatch, but I’m 99% that the official said it.

consider the source (ref)!

There is a very famous move off the Merkel - I forget what it's called. Essentially, it's a reverse Grapevine just like the Merkel is a reverse figure-4 of the leg with the inside leg.... after you have the Merkel in (often times wrestlers will lock it by wrapping outer leg over the Merkeling foot/ankle at the knee), they then trap opponent's arm behind them using a reverse headlock and roll opponent backwards onto their back into effectively a reverse Grapevine position (some also call Grapevine a "Guillotine" depending what region your from). Kind of like a Spladle is a reverse can-opener.... this move off Merkel is effectively a reverse Grapevine.

Yes, you see this at youth wrestling tournaments a lot, but never amongst the better high school and college wrestlers because it rarely works on better wrestlers that have any sense of where they're at and what they're doing. Look, the Merkle is legal and considered a takedown, but I still call it junk wrestling and usually the beneficiary just got lucky.

70K in Kinnick booed an athlete in pain so GFY!
giphy.gif

Meh to the DeSanto match. RBY spent most of the time sizing up AD’s adjustments to try and beat him. Just checking things out for Bigs and NCAA. Why bother showing your hand when you know you have a shot ADS can’t defend…and didn’t on the only two shots taken.
This is why it's best to read through all the posts before beginning to type. This is exactly what it looked like RBY was thinking last night. I'm in total agreement with Cowbell.

Just rewatched it. He said “After further review, no time was on the clock.”

Wouldn't change a thing, it was a fabulous night of wrestling. When I think about being in a hostile environment after travelling half-way across the country, and the fact that these are still 18-23 year olds, my Penn State pride shines through. A few tidbits;

125: Kid has really grown on me. Not flashy, but patient and very calm. Hard to score on, tough on top, and can finish bouts. Would have loved to see a match-up with Ayala, but Hildebrant did what he needed, setting the tone with a bonus point win. Good lead-off wrestler.
133: Honestly was surprised by the disproportion of shots. Our whole watch-party group was. Happy for the win, for sure, but it was more due to great defense than what RBY is know for -- great offense as he leads the team in takedowns.
141: I love watching Nick wrestle. Like Brooks, he's ALWAYS moving forward looking for offense. Late Eierman takedown (to tie the score) showed how dangerous Eierman is, but Lee showed complete calm heading to SV, KNOWING he had more in the tank than his opponent. A healthy Lee will never be outworked, best motor on the team.
149: Limited offense against the better guys at this weight. He WILL wrestle them close, and always have a shot at the end, but it's a risky situation.
157: Barraclough has now lost three in a row to ranked opponents. All were extremely close, he just has to get over that hump. Limited offensive arsenal, though he is getting to legs with a chance to score, just has to close the deal. One takedown last night would have won the bout.
165: I saw a fired-up Marinelli wanting to make a statement, and he did. Berge is better than he showed, so no concern to me, even though I can't remember him being out of a bout before. Learning experience, so back to the room to get better.
174: Hat's off to both guys. They may get each other twice more this season, and I'm looking forward to them if/when they happen. This is the reason kids go to Penn State or Iowa - to wrestle in big matches.
184: Dominating win by Brooks, and despite a superior motor, he seemed to tire in the third. No biggie at all given the opponent and venue. Brooks could win by bonus in a neutral setting. Another big win in a long line of big wins.
197: Dang, Dean has owned the third this season. Late takedowns, solid rides in the third, and turning opponents late is his MO against the top guys it seems. Last night, in a tough environment, Dean came through in a BIG way. Watching him every dual, I can say I'm a big fan.
285: Great first takedown, then Kerkvliet decided to enter Cassioppi's wheelhouse and got thrown. Then it happened again later. Coaches talk about getting out of situations when they don't have an advantage. I think (my opinion only) backing out of the upper body stuff with this opponent is the better strategy. Every bout is a learning experience, and I think this one was hugely (is that a word) so. Still a toss-up next time.
Angel: Nice job overall. Anyone that wants to pick apart that performance in that environment is looking hard for something to complain about.

Last edited:
HR will be going nuclear with every possible excuse to rationalize tonight's outcome. Their madness will know no bounds for days, if not weeks, to come. That said, like an accident, you just can't take your eyes off it. Plus - bonus - Hawkeye tears are sweeter than honey and man are they flowing tonight!

This was a good win for us fans of watching HR implode. The good guys managed to get a win, but left Hawkeye fans with enough hope that they will still be crushed on a particular Saturday in March. Win/win!

This was a good win for us fans of watching HR implode. The good guys managed to get a win, but left Hawkeye fans with enough hope that they will still be crushed on a particular Saturday in March. Win/win!
My favorite posts from HR last night:

1.) Penn State wrestlers are way bigger than the Iowa wrestlers.

2.) What has (world champ and Olympic bronze medalist) Gilman ever won?

I’m really looking forward to them getting back to burning Morningstar at the stake and calling for Brands to be replaced. It was always a highlight of my day after nationals Sunday.

Reactions: danoftw
Can they stop showing us Mrs Marinelli? If we have to keep seeing a wrestler's wife, at least show us the wife of a wrestler that has won something.
My all time favorite was Cenzos mom for a couple reason. It was awesome seeing how nervous she’s be during his matches and then how proud and excited she got after he won. And also because I knew it was driving Hawk fans crazy. Lol

Agree - i rewatched but had to go out for a few minutes.
Conveniently, he therefore didn’t have to rule on whether it was or wasn’t a TD since time expired.

There’s a thread on HR about it with a YouTube ref seminar where they say in folkstyke, leg only has to be trapped. I don’t think it was even trapped.

I just pulled up the NCAA rule book, and I do not see this position covered. There is no image of a similar position and it is not described within the rule book that I can see. Would love to see actual evidence of the rule saying it needs to be laced. That is news to me.

Conveniently, he therefore didn’t have to rule on whether it was or wasn’t a TD since time expired.

There’s a thread on HR about it with a YouTube ref seminar where they say in folkstyke, leg only has to be trapped. I don’t think it was even trapped.
This is what Rivera saw before he signaled for the takedown. Carter's foot is hooked over Kemerer's. Merkle is not when you have your leg inside your opponent's thigh but outside of the foot, right?

Last edited:
Just rewatched it. He said “After further review, no time was on the clock.”
Just giving Rivera the benefit of the doubt, (of which there is room for plenty) but maybe he just picked the first criteria that applied. If the clock ran out of time, then regardless of where Kemerer was positioned, there would be no takedown.

lol
This! Flew over there, in their arena, in front of their crowd and got the W. A good night for us.

And the best thing is, Brands isn’t gonna have to apologize for winning.

Whatever the f*** he means by that…
Really? Replay clearly shows that Dean had Warner Wynn Dixied on his back for 4 full seconds (with Warner's shoulders flat on the mat during the sequence) and Rivera never even went to the mat to look at the exposure.... he didn't give Dean a T2, or 4 NF.... he didn't even give Dean an ESC despite Warner having let go of his leg and arms flailing around as he attempted to get of his back.... So he cost Dean at a minimum 6 points and a MD and quite possibly a pin (again Rivera never even bothered to go to mat to check exposure despite replay showing Warner was Wynn Dixied on his back for 4 full seconds).... and you think the "Officiating angle is over-played"??? LMAO
I’ve watched that several times now and can’t figure out how that sequence isn’t point for Dean … and then Angel ‘reviews’ it (who … me make a mistake?) and still no points … maybe there’s an explanation other than Angel being Angel … I’d love to hear it because your description of the sequence is spot on

Just giving Rivera the benefit of the doubt, (of which there is room for plenty) but maybe he just picked the first criteria that applied. If the clock ran out of time, then regardless of where Kemerer was positioned, there would be no takedown.
I wonder the same. HR is convinced it’s a TD; citing the Carter’s loss of a grip on Kem’s leg. They posted a ref training video that says freestyle requires leg to be laced but folkstyle only requires leg to be trapped. I see their point on the loss of Carter’s grip on Kem’s leg. I still don’t see any trapping of the leg regardless.

FWIW; PSU wins on criteria (match points) even if that was ruled a TD.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Wouldn't change a thing, it was a fabulous night of wrestling. When I think about being in a hostile environment after travelling half-way across the country, and the fact that these are still 18-23 year olds, my Penn State pride shines through. A few tidbits;

125: Kid has really grown on me. Not flashy, but patient and very calm. Hard to score on, tough on top, and can finish bouts. Would have loved to see a match-up with Ayala, but Hildebrant did what he needed, setting the tone with a bonus point win. Good lead-off wrestler.
133: Honestly was surprised by the disproportion of shots. Our whole watch-party group was. Happy for the win, for sure, but it was more due to great defense than what RBY is know for -- great offense as he leads the team in takedowns.
141: I love watching Nick wrestle. Like Brooks, he's ALWAYS moving forward looking for offense. Late Eierman takedown (to tie the score) showed how dangerous Eierman is, but Lee showed complete calm heading to SV, KNOWING he had more in the tank than his opponent. A healthy Lee will never be outworked, best motor on the team.
149: Limited offense against the better guys at this weight. He WILL wrestle them close, and always have a shot at the end, but it's a risky situation.
157: Barraclough has now lost three in a row to ranked opponents. All were extremely close, he just has to get over that hump. Limited offensive arsenal, though he is getting to legs with a chance to score, just has to close the deal. One takedown last night would have won the bout.
165: I saw a fired-up Marinelli wanting to make a statement, and he did. Berge is better than he showed, so no concern to me, even though I can't remember him being out of a bout before. Learning experience, so back to the room to get better.
174: Hat's off to both guys. They may get each other twice more this season, and I'm looking forward to them if/when they happen. This is the reason kids go to Penn State or Iowa - to wrestle in big matches.
184: Dominating win by Brooks, and despite a superior motor, he seemed to tire in the third. No biggie at all given the opponent and venue. Brooks could win by bonus in a neutral setting. Another big win in a long line of big wins.
197: Dang, Dean has owned the third this season. Late takedowns, solid rides in the third, and turning opponents late is his MO against the top guys it seems. Last night, in a tough environment, Dean came through in a BIG way. Watching him every dual, I can say I'm a big fan.
285: Great first takedown, then Kerkvliet decided to enter Cassioppi's wheelhouse and got thrown. Then it happened again later. Coaches talk about getting out of situations when they don't have an advantage. I think (my opinion only) backing out of the upper body stuff with this opponent is the better strategy. Every bout is a learning experience, and I think this one was hugely (is that a word) so. Still a toss-up next time.
Angel: Nice job overall. Anyone that wants to pick apart that performance in that environment is looking hard for something to complain about.
I agree! Awesome wrestling! Rivera is still an asshat.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Ha, I like it! Seriously, I've seen the refs fold under the pressure of big CHA matches. I know this won't be popular, but I like Rivera there, as my impression after several years of watching being that he's unaffected by the crowd.

I can’t say anything. Lol. My twin brother graduated a year behind me. Ha
He secretly redshirted!

dean deserved that victory and would have won in SV anyway, but the bow and arrow should be illegal. it's far more dangerous than all sorts of other illegal moves.
Boy Iowa surely does not like tough wrestling. There are plenty of legal wrestling moves, that can be painful. What other moves would you like to make illegal? If you can’t take the pain, all you have to do is roll over, but what does Iowa do - start screaming to have the ref bail them out, to avoid back points. Unfortunately, it worked for Desanto. Fortunately it did not work for Warnerov. The only positive thing Rivera did that entire match, was not bail out Warnerov.

Last edited:
I think HR convinced me that it was a TD if time hadn’t run out. They posted a training video about it discussing the differences between it being a TD on folkstyke and freestyle. It took me longer to get it than they would have liked, but I think I get it now.

Boy Iowa surely does not like tough wrestling. There are plenty of legal wrestling moves, that can be painful. What other moves would you like to make illegal? If you can’t take the pain, all you have to do is roll over, but what does Iowa do - start screaming to have the ref bail them out, to avoid back points. Unfortunately, it worked for Desanto. Fortunately it did not work for Warnerov. The only positive thing Rivera did that entire match, was not bail out Warmerov.
If you can’t make it through a legal hold without screaming out in pain, you certainly don’t like tough wrestling.

Yes, you see this at youth wrestling tournaments a lot, but never amongst the better high school and college wrestlers because it rarely works on better wrestlers that have any sense of where they're at and what they're doing. Look, the Merkle is legal and considered a takedown, but I still call it junk wrestling and usually the beneficiary just got lucky.
Think Hall pinned a pretty good guy from Missouri with this move his true freshman year at NCAAs. My memory isn’t the best though.
Soph year. Lewis maybe

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT