Taylor or Lee?

• Lee

Votes: 43 37.1%
  • Taylor

Votes: 73 62.9%

• Total voters

PSU_522

Jan 1, 2019
Who do you think would have won a wrestling match in high school between David Taylor and Spencer Lee?

Well, if Desanto beat Lee, no way Lee beats Taylor.
Cue the injury discussion in 3, 2, 1.
Spencer was a 3 timer most likely 4 if not for the injury and Taylor was a 4 timer who bumped up 4 weight classes his Senior year .. So this would be a dream matchup to see IMO.

Spencer was a 3 timer most likely 4 if not for the injury and Taylor was a 4 timer who bumped up 4 weight classes his Senior year .. So this would be a dream matchup to see IMO.
Which means he averaged a Dake. Case closed.

Reactions: diggerpup
DT also beat Steiber (4 timer in HS AND college AND Sr. World Champion at 61 KG) in high school in a lightweight bout. It was Steiber's only loss in high school; he went 184-1.

Last edited:
What about Ditka Vs. a Hurricane? ... But the hurricanes name is Hurricane Ditka.

wmmXnMOTcPnHhar-800x450-noPad.jpg

This thread ....
  • Vern : Do you think Mighty Mouse could beat up Superman?

Teddy : What are you, cracked?

Vern : Why not? I saw the other day. He was carrying five elephants in one hand!

Teddy : Boy, you don't know nothing! Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman's a real guy. There's no way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.

Vern : Yeah, maybe you're right. It'd be a good fight, though.

This thread .... [...] Teddy: Boy, you don't know nothing! Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman's a real guy. There's no way a cartoon could beat up a real guy [...] Vern: maybe you're right. It'd be a good fight, though.
If your hypothesis is right, the OP will edit the thread title to “Truffle Shuffle” in three days! :)

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Agreed, Lee went unscored upon in more than one world championship while in HS. This isnt a fair match. Im as big a DT homer as the next guy but this aint close.
Umm ... age group worlds often means 1 takedown + ankle lace roll to quick win.

Reminder that Verk won cadet worlds, did not give up a score in 3 of his 4 matches, yet did not win PA states until his SR year.

Seriously doubt anyone would put Verk up against Taylor at any stage of their careers.

I remember well, and havent forgotten how Verk was robbed of Jr year postseason either😉
Im guessing you picked Taylor?

Edit: To Jefe

Also purposedly entered and took 3 rd at Midlands (when midlands was THEE measuring stick) while in HS.

You serious bro??
I know he was great, just pointing out that he did effectively redshirt in high school. Not that uncommon with athletes these days, I guess.

While Kolat's feat was very impressive, Jimmy Carr (Nate's older brother) won the Midlands in high school. He's still the only HS wrestler ever to do it. Spencer Lee hasn't won Midlands yet even in college.

I remember well, and havent forgotten how Verk was robbed of Jr year postseason either😉
Im guessing you picked Taylor?

Edit: To Jefe
Verk would've been an underdog in that postseason. 3x champ Cam Coy was at his weight, and also in the same regional. Even without Coy, that was not an easy bracket -- Edmund Ruth finished 8th, and some Luke Gardner guy finished 5th.

In any case, yes, I would've taken Taylor. Both were good enough on bottom to negate the other's top scoring. It would've come down to who's better on feet -- and Lee in high school had gotten in the habit of not shooting much because he didn't have to. (1 slide-by, then Lee ends the match on top.)

Also, Taylor's win over Stieber showed he was capable of beating someone at Lee's level. Lee never had a comparable HS folk win (best were FR Sasso, JR DeSanto, and SO Ryan Anderson).

Verk would've been an underdog in that postseason. 3x champ Cam Coy was at his weight, and also in the same regional. Even without Coy, that was not an easy bracket -- Edmund Ruth finished 8th, and some Luke Gardner guy finished 5th.

In any case, yes, I would've taken Taylor. Both were good enough on bottom to negate the other's top scoring. It would've come down to who's better on feet -- and Lee in high school had gotten in the habit of not shooting much because he didn't have to. (1 slide-by, then Lee ends the match on top.)

Also, Taylor's win over Stieber showed he was capable of beating someone at Lee's level. Lee never had a comparable HS folk win (best were FR Sasso, JR DeSanto, and SO Ryan Anderson).
Did Lee have a chance in HS at a "comparable win"? Didn't he wrestle whoever stepped across the mat from him?

Reactions: ClarencButthorn

Yep. The win over Stieber in HS pretty much sealed my decision.

Did Lee have a chance in HS at a "comparable win"? Didn't he wrestle whoever stepped across the mat from him?
His freshman year, Luke Pletcher was 1 weight up. Pletcher was 1 yr ahead of Lee. They would've met at regionals and states.

Lizak and Scott Parker were also in that bracket, so it wouldn't have been just about a 1-on-1 with Pletcher.

His freshman year, Luke Pletcher was 1 weight up. Pletcher was 1 yr ahead of Lee. They would've met at regionals and states.

Lizak and Scott Parker were also in that bracket, so it wouldn't have been just about a 1-on-1 with Pletcher.
Did wrestling fans in PA expect Lee to move up and take on those talents then? I don't remember now.

Speaking of guys bumping up to face better competition.... I recall when Chris Kwortnik bumped from 171 to 189 and beat John Hangey from Quakertown in their dual.

Hangey went on to win states at 189

Reactions: nitlion6
Umm ... age group worlds often means 1 takedown + ankle lace roll to quick win.

Reminder that Verk won cadet worlds, did not give up a score in 3 of his 4 matches, yet did not win PA states until his SR year.

Seriously doubt anyone would put Verk up against Taylor at any stage of their careers.
You have your pick of examples to show that age group world medals may not be the best gauge, and you choose Verk as the example, over Richie Lewis?

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT