ADVERTISEMENT

Just a horribly called game by the refs

In this browns game. Two Ints caused by blatant holding calls and a fantom false start that would have given the browns a free play. Sport must install replays for all plays and limit the number that the team can challenge.
Browns fans are very used to it. Hard to win with that and a very mediocre QB.

Reactions: wolve1972
That last non defensive holding call was as lame as any I have ever seen. I don't even like the Browns and shut the game off in disgust. Bush league...completely.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Wish the official up in the replay booth was permitted to act similarly to an official on the field. Throw a flag via quickly calling down if he sees an obvious penalty, overrule an obviously incorrect call on the field.

Reactions: BBrown and bison13
My brother is a retired PIAA football official. He has numerous friends who do Div 2 & 3 college games. Their biggest complaint is how fast some officials are moved up based on race/gender.
All officials are graded after a game. This one female official who made several bad calls/ missed calls, during a game was not even called out or told about it.
I think the same thing exists now in Div 1 and the NFL officiating. People not really earning their stripes but being handed the opportunity based on race/gender. It's unfortunate but is what it is.

My brother is a retired PIAA football official. He has numerous friends who do Div 2 & 3 college games. Their biggest complaint is how fast some officials are moved up based on race/gender.
All officials are graded after a game. This one female official who made several bad calls/ missed calls, during a game was not even called out or told about it.
I think the same thing exists now in Div 1 and the NFL officiating. People not really earning their stripes but being handed the opportunity based on race/gender. It's unfortunate but is what it is.
It's going on everywhere. Affirmative action is in place for incompetence/incompetents.

Reactions: creamery freak
In this browns game. Two Ints caused by blatant holding calls and a fantom false start that would have given the browns a free play. Sport must install replays for all plays and limit the number that the team can challenge.
Bill Belichick has been calling for all plays to be challengeable ever since replay was put in. Just sayin

It's not just the PIAA, it's everywhere. Similar issues here in Maryland so as a former basketball coach it was asked if any of us would be willing to get into officiating with the number of officials being way down.
I figured I could do it one night a week or so, so I took the class and the test, which just happened to be open book and started. They always try to start you with JV games which is fine but after I worked first varsity game I had both coaches come up to me and said they would request me for the rest of their games. Unfortunately the scheduler said he couldn't do that because if he doesn't give certain guys Varsity games with specific teams they'll quit.

I really do wonder if that game was fixed. It was the celebration of breaking Favres records Good of the announcing crew to point out how many critical missed calls there were. Yet, post game and ESPN continues to say nothing
I think there is more of that happening in professional sports than we realize.

I really do wonder if that game was fixed. It was the celebration of breaking Favres records Good of the announcing crew to point out how many critical missed calls there were. Yet, post game and ESPN continues to say nothing
C’mon, dude. Yer a Browns fan. The Gods of Football have determined the Browns and their fans should always suffer. They would have won the last two games if they didn’t have a quarter of the team out with Covid. Been if first place in division. Yet they are probably now out of playoff contention....thanks to Covid.....and the Gods of Football.

C’mon, dude. Yer a Browns fan. The Gods of Football have determined the Browns and their fans should always suffer. They would have won the last two games if they didn’t have a quarter of the team out with Covid. Been if first place in division. Yet they are probably now out of playoff contention....thanks to Covid.....and the Gods of Football.
I recall reading an article as a kid about the immaculate conception. The writer said the Steelers has been cursed for fifty years and that play reversed the course, that one play, and they’d be lucky for fifty years. So far so good.

we can talk about the nfl, art modell, and the browns some time. The nfl has always been mad that Cleveland didn’t understand that the franchise is owned by the nfl and franchise owner and not the city. Several owners and officials still are upset at the way the city reacted when the browns moved to Baltimore. And they are upset that Ohio blocks Modell’s inclusion in the hall of fame.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I recall reading an article as a kid about the immaculate conception. The writer said the Steelers has been cursed for fifty years and that play reversed the course, that one play, and they’d be lucky for fifty years. So far so good.

we can talk about the nfl, art modell, and the browns some time. The nfl has always been mad that Cleveland didn’t understand that the franchise is owned by the nfl and franchise owner and not the city. Several owners and officials still are upset at the way the city reacted when the browns moved to Baltimore. And they are upset that Ohio blocks Modell’s inclusion in the hall of fame.
Well, those fifty years are coming to an end. Steelers have won only three playoff games in ten years. And they didn’t get a quality backup QB because Big Baby Ben woulda pouted all season. And they have a head coach that has no discipline. The Dark Ages are about to return. And the Browns are set to regain their past glory.

I can understand the feeling of frustration for Browns fans, who are some of the most knowledgeable, loyal fans in all of football.

Overall, they have done a good job of building a competitive team that can compile winning records and get into the playoffs. They have talent on both sides of the line. But......in their most crucial draft decision, they came up short when they picked Baker Mayfield #1 overall. He's just not the elite talent they need to take the next step.

Well, those fifty years are coming to an end. Steelers have won only three playoff games in ten years. And they didn’t get a quality backup QB because Big Baby Ben woulda pouted all season. And they have a head coach that has no discipline. The Dark Ages are about to return. And the Browns are set to regain their past glory.

Funny but the Immaculate Reception was in 1972. Forty eight years later, the Browns beat the Steelers in a playoff game. Wanna bet the Browns win the Super Bowl in 2022?

Browns were robbed yesterday. Refs wanted GB to win that one.

I can understand the feeling of frustration for Browns fans, who are some of the most knowledgeable, loyal fans in all of football.

Overall, they have done a good job of building a competitive team that can compile winning records and get into the playoffs. They have talent on both sides of the line. But......in their most crucial draft decision, they came up short when they picked Baker Mayfield #1 overall. He's just not the elite talent they need to take the next step.
I think baker is fine. He’s been playing with a dislocated shoulder that will require surgery in the off season. Could they have drafted a better QB? Maybe. But they really need a guy that embraces the shit. Too many QBs couldn’t handle the adversity here and faded.

Funny but the Immaculate Reception was in 1972. Forty eight years later, the Browns beat the Steelers in a playoff game. Wanna bet the Browns win the Super Bowl in 2022?
2022? They won’t make the playoffs. 2023? They’ve got a shot.

What past glory exactly? That is like Pitt saying they won all of those champ in the twenties

Making this sport very hard to watch. I think technology has surpassed the refs ability to call the game. They are utterly useless.

This. Ultra-slomo in 4k. All the refs F ups are in full display. Soon we’ll be questioning whether the ball touched a blade of grass or just fanned it. Why not employ some refs in NY to quickly call a penalty on something so blatant. Considering where the defender was to start, there’s no way he makes that INT without holding.

Officiating is what makes football a real crapshoot game. Pass interference, holding, and even spotting the ball are so arbitrary. I will always remember the pass interference that wasn’t called in the Rams-Saints playoff game a couple years back. The Saints got screwed out of the Super Bowl.

I have a better idea. Get competent refs. You can't start reviewing every play or the games will be marathon's. and then limiting the number of challenges puts you right back at the start of this conversation.
Also maybe simplifying the rules would help. This whole did the ball cross the goal line did some part of the player touch the pylon is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Get competent refs. You can't start reviewing every play or the games will be marathon's. and then limiting the number of challenges puts you right back at the start of this conversation.
Also maybe simplifying the rules would help. This whole did the ball cross the goal line did some part of the player touch the pylon is ridiculous.
I don't agree with you.

You give each team three timeouts/challenges. If they challenge and the call is overturned, they get the timeout back. If they challenge and it is upheld or stands, they lose the timeout. If three it too many, make it two. Or one. I don't care. But it can be regulated. If they use them all up and don't have any at the end, that was their fault for challenging a call that failed and not managing their resources better. But to have a blatant holding call missed with zero options on remediation is killing the interest in the game. This is especially true on PI calls.

Racial and gender preference: I’m shocked, not. But don’t you dare call it a “quota.”
Saw it at work big time.
Piece elsewhere today talks about the plethora of female leaders in the media. And PBS has become little more than a propaganda outlet for the social “ causes” of the day. Reverse discrimination is imo not as bad as discrimination BUT it still is discrimination. How sad.

Yes, lets have every play reviewed. Then we can have 6 or 7 hours games!

Yes, lets have every play reviewed. Then we can have 6 or 7 hours games!
rhoa-sassy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT