ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

Like who? Other than NATO(who is a total pro, if he goes 125, he'll be just fine).

Both Jordans and maybe Pletcher. They will be fine for early season one day tournaments and weekend duals, but IMO the grind could could wear them down by March.

I think that became big issue for the other OSU this year.

Like who? Other than NATO(who is a total pro, if he goes 125, he'll be just fine).
I disagree--if Nato goes to 125--he will be burned out by March-- something happend at the this past season with Nato...just did not look himself that last 5 -6 weeks or so of the end of the season...IMO

Both Jordans and maybe Pletcher. They will be fine for early season one day tournaments and weekend duals, but IMO the grind could could wear them down by March.

I agree both OSU's were not "having fun and scoring points" at the NCAA's. Their interviews seemed to reveal tired warriors after a long hard slog. The PSU athletes ( Nolf-Bo-Hall in particular) seem smaller but energized. Peaking rather than crawling across the finish line. An example would be Kaid Brocks final interview. You are also setting up an additional tension having an athlete working to make weight all season in addition to all of the other challenges they are facing. I think the fact that PSU wrestlers tend to look small is not a coincidence but rather something Cael has learned along the way.

Let's be honest, most of these athletes are starting off with very little body fat. That being the case, cutting 20 to 25 LBS, when you have little to no fat to loose, can not allow much time for having fun.

Reactions: Ski and diggerpup
I agree both OSU's were not "having fun and scoring points" at the NCAA's. Their interviews seemed to reveal tired warriors after a long hard slog. The PSU athletes ( Nolf-Bo-Hall in particular) seem smaller but energized. Peaking rather than crawling across the finish line. An example would be Kaid Brocks final interview. You are also setting up an additional tension having an athlete working to make weight all season in addition to all of the other challenges they are facing. I think the fact that PSU wrestlers tend to look small is not a coincidence but rather something Cael has learned along the way.
I agree...cutting weight is very personalized ! I wrestled for 12 years and have been around it for 25 years....I have known guys that can cut a lot of weight and it just does not seem to bother them....But I have seen many more wrestlers that the cut ruins the sport for them..and it shows....IMO cutting to much is more mental then physical...

I have said the same about PSU wrestlers many times---I think that is just 1 of the things that seperates Cael and PSU from the others.

Reactions: jtothemfp

Based on what? tOSU wrestled fine. NATO lost because of technical/tactical problems. Pletcher was a true freshman who was admittedly by staff and Luke himself up from his optimal weight. Micah and Bo were both at higher weights than they were the previous year and out-performed their previous years performance.

You are basing this on things that are not measurable.

Bo Jordan moved up a weight and still struggled his way to the national finals with the cut? Interesting.

Based on what? tOSU wrestled fine. NATO lost because of technical/tactical problems. Pletcher was a true freshman who was admittedly by staff and Luke himself up from his optimal weight. Micah and Bo were both at higher weights than they were the previous year and out-performed their previous years performance.

You are basing this on things that are not measurable.
What is more measurable than the points scored at the NCAA's? This conversation is identifying a fruitful area of inquiry for fans and Flos alike. Is there a measurable correlation to be had from the distance between a wrestlers walking around weight and his/her competing weight and their ability to wrestle up to or exceed their seed at the NCAA's. Christian measure me that.

"Micah and Bo were both at higher weights than they were the previous year and out-performed their previous years performance."

Isn't that exactly the point?
No it isn't. The point was that they struggled with the cut after moving up.

If the point were that the struggled before moving up, that's a different matter.

"Micah and Bo were both at higher weights than they were the previous year and out-performed their previous years performance."

Isn't that exactly the point?

BoJo could have been a full sized 174 pounder as Freshman. Now 3 years later he wouldn't be small at 197.

To me the point is that Cael allows his wrestlers to grow into their optimum weight. Just because Bo and Micah wrestled at starvation level two years ago, doesn't mean bumping up one weight is now optimum.

Last edited:
BoJo could have been a full sized 174 pounder as Freshman. Now 3 years later he wouldn't be small at 197.

To me the point is that Cael allows his wrestlers to grow into their optimum weight. Just because Bo and Micah wrestled at starvation level two years ago, doesn't mean bumping up one weight is now optimum.
This should end any talk of Rasheed going 197.

Reactions: nittanybrian
No it isn't. The point was that they struggled with the cut after moving up.

If the point were that the struggled before moving up, that's a different matter.

I read that as Jacks point, that they did better this year moving up

notice that he said it hurt "the other OSU" this year, not Ohio State... but i could be wrong

Not sure why nobody has Keener penciled in for next year? I think it's better than 50/50.

I agree, NATO's 2nd year at 125, displayed some gas tank issues. After a year at 133, I've got to believe it will be worse and after Nick's 2nd year in the room, he is the last guy you want to go into the 3rd period, with gas tank issues.

Is that right? He looked energetic enough beating Nico in OT at Big 10 Finals that year. Dude lost one match. Which matches did you observe these tank issues?

Is that right? He looked energetic enough beating Nico in OT at Big 10 Finals that year. Dude lost one match. Which matches did you observe these tank issues?
Sorry, going from memory, but at Bigs and Nationals, I remember seeing a few matches that he was pushed deep and looked gassed to me, something I never saw his freshman year.

Based on our last conference call with Spyker. Didn't you get the email invite?
Haha. Spyker only has 3-way call capabilities, so I didn't get to listen in.
Just based on a conversation I had recently. I have nothing concrete, and since I'll assume he's still officially enrolled at CMU, I'll leave it at I wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: diggerpup
Easy to play shoulda, coulda, woulda, but BoJo reached the finals because Realbuto had a mental short circuit and tried to throw BoJo for no reason with a late lead.

Still, any limitation BoJo had this past season was probably primarily from his foot / ankle issue, not the cut

Is it me or have you been stepping up your forum game lately. Just seem more active than you have been in the past.

Btw, Love your show! The golf swing? Not so much......

Last edited:
Reactions: smalls103
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT