ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

Of them I'd bet on Lehigh because of the Buxton connection. But who knows.

Rutgers board will surely talk about the Cruiseliner docking in Palo Alto, because New Jersey.

Reactions: diggerpup
That would be mind-boggling if he came to PSU. Somehow I don't think it's happening. They mentioned that the 4 schools reportedly being considered: PSU, Iowa, Ohio St and Lehigh. They said that he would have to stay at 141 this coming year if he went to PSU or Iowa, but could move up to 149 at tOSU or Lehigh. Is Jordan going up to 157? I haven't seen that mentioned in projected tOSU line-ups for next year.

If McKenna goes there, Jordan could move up to 157 to sure up their lineup. It would be scary with NATO, Pletcher, Hayes, McKenna, and Jordan. I also think McKenna has a redshirt available if needed.

Reactions: maize_mechanic
Of them I'd bet on Lehigh because of the Buxton connection. But who knows.

Rutgers board will surely talk about the Cruiseliner docking in Palo Alto, because New Jersey.

Well Rutgers is, after all, the Stanford of the East.

Another "according to multiple sources" scoop from Flo (see: e.g., RBY). I'll await confirmation from the wrestler.

Last edited:
He would be a fool to go anywhere but PSU in terms of training partners and team success.

But that's not all that will go into the decision.

If he does want to come here, sets up an interesting dilemma. He has 2 years left, obviously plugs a potential hole for next year at 141, which may not end up being a hole (Cortez?), in a year where we don't likely need his points anyway in 95% of the potential scenarios. After that he is a SR in 18-19 and gone in 19-20. Does his transfer pretty much tell RBY to go elsewhere and thus we miss out on the potential of 19-20 and beyond with RBY? Of course, McKenna is of more immediate and sure-fire results than RBY, but again, likely in years when he is just icing on the cake. And then, with the way recruiting is going, a potential loss of RBY would most likely be offset with the addition of a prospect just as good as RBY from 20-21 and beyond.

Great dilemma to face...

If he does want to come here, sets up an interesting dilemma. He has 2 years left, obviously plugs a potential hole for next year at 141, which may not end up being a hole (Cortez?), in a year where we don't likely need his points anyway in 95% of the potential scenarios. After that he is a SR in 18-19 and gone in 19-20. Does his transfer pretty much tell RBY to go elsewhere and thus we miss out on the potential of 19-20 and beyond with RBY? Of course, McKenna is of more immediate and sure-fire results than RBY, but again, likely in years when he is just icing on the cake. And then, with the way recruiting is going, a potential loss of RBY would most likely be offset with the addition of a prospect just as good as RBY from 20-21 and beyond.

Great dilemma to face...

If he's granted a release, he will be gone RBY's freshman year. McKenna to PSU would put the most pressure on Cortez to make 133. Berge and Verkleeran would be pushed out in 18-19, however.

133- Cortez
141- McKenna
149- Zain

133- Cortez
141- N. Lee
149- McKenna

133- Teasdale
141- RBY
149- N. Lee/Verkleeran
157- Berge/Verkleeran

Pyles just tweeted that PSU could be his top choice at this time. I would surmise for the reasons James Whitter listed above - I mean he will have the best guys in the country to roll around with and he's going to win two team championships in his time here.

But again, lots of stuff go into a decision like this should he decide to pass up his Stanford degree (which is kind of mind boggling to me, but thats JMO). How highly motivated can PSU be to get him???? It's kind of like "we're good, either way."

Great dilemma to face...

Why would it tell RBY to go elsewhere? Mckenna will be a senior whenever RBY is redshirting and could slide right in at 141 (or 133 if Teasdale grows to be 141) following Mckenna. The interesting person would be with Nick Lee. Even if he would RS this year (along with Verk and Berge), McKenna could stay at 141 then have Berge, Lee, and Verk all fighting it out for 149 (as long as Nolf stays at 157). Like you said its a great problem for PSU to have either with or without Mckenna

If he's granted a release, he will be gone RBY's freshman year. McKenna to PSU would put the most pressure on Cortez to make 133. Berge and Verkleeran would be pushed out in 18-19, however.

133- Cortez
141- McKenna
149- Zain

133- Cortez
141- N. Lee
149- McKenna

133- Teasdale
141- RBY
149- N. Lee/Verkleeran
157- Berge/Verkleeran

Yeah, I guess that works. So many lineup permutations to ponder. Of course by the final year in your scenario, Verkleeren could be 57, Berge 65, Joseph 74, Hall 84 (not likely for any but just saying) and there are also multiple guys that could take an Olympic RS.

Reactions: purescurve

133- Cortez
141- McKenna
149- Zain

133- Cortez
141- N. Lee
149- McKenna

133- Teasdale
141- RBY
149- N. Lee/Verkleeran
157- Berge/Verkleeran
McKenna would crush Cortez...Not even close....Take him down let him up tech fall...Cortez needs a lot of work on his feet....WOW this would be unreal and outstanding for PSU...Bet he wins 2 National Titles at PSU....He has 2 years left....He would be great in our room plus it would get him over the hump as well to win an individual Title and team Title....RBY would still be fine...He is a Jr in High School...A red shirt would be great for him to get better in the room before his run to 4 Titles....PSU's room is SICK....Love it !!!!

Reactions: PSUisawesome
But again, lots of stuff go into a decision like this should he decide to pass up his Stanford degree (which is kind of mind boggling to me, but thats JMO).
Same was probably said about Tsirtsis leaving Northwestern at the time but then academics turned out to be the reason he left.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The flow interview before the nationals was weird. He had braids and just did not seem to be in the frame of mind you just knew Cael's kids were in. He was a big fish in a small pond and it showed.

The same thing happened before the semi's. Zahid is interviewed and he's smiling Mark is interviewed and his game face was extremely on. I watched those interviews and felt like I was seeing something that mattered.

Pyles just tweeted that PSU could be his top choice at this time. I would surmise for the reasons James Whitter listed above - I mean he will have the best guys in the country to roll around with and he's going to win two team championships in his time here.

But again, lots of stuff go into a decision like this should he decide to pass up his Stanford degree (which is kind of mind boggling to me, but thats JMO). How highly motivated can PSU be to get him???? It's kind of like "we're good, either way."
I think we get him as well...Perfect fit....Wants to be part of the Dynasty....

But again, lots of stuff go into a decision like this should he decide to pass up his Stanford degree (which is kind of mind boggling to me, but thats JMO).

I'm with you there. Stanford's campus is quite nice, and the academics are as good as they get. Short of failing out, I don't think you could ever get me to leave there if I were an undergrad.

Same was probably said about Tsirtsis leaving Northwestern at the time but then academics turned out to be the reason he left.

True, but I don't know that we ever heard the full story there. It's not all that uncommon for college students to encounter academic problems in college if one of their parents die.

Without more details on McKenna's situation, it certainly does seem like an unusual move.

Joey could help a lot of teams, so I'm sure a number of programs are reaching out to him.

The same thing happened before the semi's. Zahid is interviewed and he's smiling Mark is interviewed and his game face was extremely on. I watched those interviews and felt like I was seeing something that mattered.
But then Dean had his game face on and Bo was dancing around. Not sure you can read too much into it without knowing each kids personality.

McKenna would crush Cortez...Not even close....Take him down let him up tech fall...Cortez needs a lot of work on his feet....WOW this would be unreal and outstanding for PSU...Bet he wins 2 National Titles at PSU....He has 2 years left....He would be great in our room plus it would get him over the hump as well to win an individual Title and team Title....RBY would still be fine...He is a Jr in High School...A red shirt would be great for him to get better in the room before his run to 4 Titles....PSU's room is SICK....Love it !!!!

Can you use Jered's results to back up your tech fall assertion? Including his RS season, he is 25-5 in his career. Those five losses include a forfeit and exactly 1 bonus point loss, against Parker in a match where he may have been injured going in or was injured during the match. The other losses were Clark, Richardson and Devoy and two of those were 1 point matches.

Reactions: Clarion167

Captain Obvious says "could be right now" also means "could not be right now" and "nobody knows about tomorrow."

I'm with you there. Stanford's campus is quite nice, and the academics are as good as they get. Short of failing out, I don't think you could ever get me to leave there if I were an undergrad.

20-yo me would agree with this and still be mighty tempted to leave Stanford women for, say, UCLA or Arizona State women.

Tom your not thinking like an athlete. He possibly wants to have a Olympic run and already made contacts at stanford. If recruit's and athletes thought like you stanford would be Alabama football but it's not ....it seems he wants a combo of athletics and academics and the goals he has aren't being reached at stanford. So why should he only think about academics and weather when wrestling has probably been the no.1 part of his life.

His style would be fun to watch at psu he is already a tough defensive wrestler hard to score on. But open up his offense and wow he could be exciting to watch.

Can you use Jered's results to back up your tech fall assertion? Including his RS season, he is 25-5 in his career. Those five losses include a forfeit and exactly 1 bonus point loss, against Parker in a match where he may have been injured going in or was injured during the match. The other losses were Clark, Richardson and Devoy and two of those were 1 point matches.
Wait, you mean the same McKenna who has two 4-pt wins over Gulibon, couldn't merely play takedown tournament with Cortez for an easy 15-pt tech?

For McKenna, it appears to be all about wrestling at the college and international level. Assuming he gets a release from Standford and he is able to maintain 141 pounds this year, I will be surprised if he doesn't end up at Penn State.
That has a nice ring to it.

Captain Obvious says "could be right now" also means "could not be right now" and "nobody knows about tomorrow."

To be strict, what he said does not also mean "could not be[,] right now". It does also mean "could be not, right now".

Sincerely,
Grammar Nazi (aka. Grammar Dogbert) :)

Last edited:

I have a Corgi that watches tv and know commercials by site or sound. Pretty smart dog. We watched Tommy Thorn deck Mckenna and my dog kinda grinned at me. Then we watched Eirman major Mckenna and my dog really grinned at me. I generally can tell what he's thinking. I said "seriously? you really think McKenna would tech fall Cortez?!?! " He barked affirmatively.

I have a Corgi that watches tv and know commercials by site or sound. Pretty smart dog. We watched Tommy Thorn deck Mckenna and my dog kinda grinned at me. Then we watched Eirman major Mckenna and my dog really grinned at me. I generally can tell what he's thinking. I said "seriously? you really think McKenna would tech fall Cortez?!?! " He barked affirmatively.
Cortez is asking why he has to be dragged into this? And getting dog hated on top of it?

Drive on then. I'm an aging mediocre jock history nazi and people stand in line to say how many f**ks they don't give about history so never stop believing for me. I threw in my nazi towel when we tried to bring democracy to Afghanistan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT