ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

El-Jefe: a few questions

How many days in a week?

How can I listen to FRL? And what is FRL?
The answer to your first question is not enough. As for your second, FRL is on Flowrestling. I love the show. It's usually on every Tuesday and Thursdays unless one or both of the guys are out for an event or something. You can watch them anytime because they are archived. And you don't need a subscription to watch them.

Reactions: NoVa Lion
True, but Spyker has been saying "in a week" for each of a few weeks, and it's not like he listens to FRL.
Spyker is likely correct when he says "in a week". When the decision gets announced, it will be during one of the seven-day weeks of time. For example, it will not be announced during the Jurassic age, before the concept of weeks had been invented, nor billions of years in the future, after the Sun has swallowed Earth. :)

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
The answer to your first question is not enough. As for your second, FRL is on Flowrestling. I love the show. It's usually on every Tuesday and Thursdays unless one or both of the guys are out for an event or something. You can watch them anytime because they are archived. And you don't need a subscription to watch them.

I believe those were rhetorical questions for our good buddy who can't seem to figure anything out on his own unless someone tells him, even simple things like what time it is and how many days are in the week.

Soooooo....

If McKenna picks PSU and goes at 141...

PSU has a legitimate shot to have 7 or even 8 kids in the semis Friday night at NCAAs. Unreal.

Reactions: tabenn and PSUoh90
what if McKenna has outgrown 41? Would he RS and take over 49 the next year? Wouldn't that leave Berge on the bench for a year until Nolf graduates, and Verk on the bench until McKenna graduates two years later?

what if McKenna has outgrown 41? Would he RS and take over 49 the next year? Wouldn't that leave Berge on the bench for a year until Nolf graduates, and Verk on the bench until McKenna graduates two years later?

So you are saying they should give spots to wrestlers and not let the better man win the spot? What if there is an injury? What if someone doesn't adjust to the college ranks quickly...I know you are an Iowa poster and this seems crazy to some on your board. But if Mckenna really wants to shine and develop, rolling with Zain and others certainly isn't a bad option.

Reactions: edquinn06
I guess it entirely possible some sit. But who knows, maybe these kids think they will be 2 or 3 time national champs training at PSU but will never reach the top of the podium at a place like...say... oh I don't know....maybe like an Iowa.

I guess it entirely possible some sit. But who knows, maybe these kids think they will be 2 or 3 time national champs training at PSU but will never reach the top of the podium at a place like...say... oh I don't know....maybe like an Iowa.
That's a good point. "Do I want to be a 0-time national champ and 4-year starter? Or a national champ but only 2- or 3-year starter?"

Funny in a way makes me wonder how Corey Clark became a 4 time AA with 2 runner ups and one champ ships. So guess something was done ok at a place like say hmmm.....wait it was Iowa how many did a 4 time ranked number one coming in Jimmy G. get ..Come on guys we all know you are on a run and looks for a few more years but give some credit when due ok ..:)

Funny in a way makes me wonder how Corey Clark became a 4 time AA with 2 runner ups and one champ ships. So guess something was done ok at a place like say hmmm.....wait it was Iowa how many did a 4 time ranked number one coming in Jimmy G. get ..Come on guys we all know you are on a run and looks for a few more years but give some credit when due ok ..:)
Clark would have been a 159-0 4 time champ had he gone to PSU.

Real shame...

Thanks for kinda answering my questions. IF Joey has now grown out of 41 I was just wondering if he sits behind Zain and wrestles for a year at 49 after? Or would he RS then take over for Zain? I get the iron sharpens iron concept and I'm all for it even if some have to sit. Was also just asking if Berge and Verk sitting was the potential outcome if Joey joins PSU?

So you are saying they should give spots to wrestlers and not let the better man win the spot? What if there is an injury? What if someone doesn't adjust to the college ranks quickly...I know you are an Iowa poster and this seems crazy to some on your board. But if Mckenna really wants to shine and develop, rolling with Zain and others certainly isn't a bad option.
I agree, I was just wondering if the senerio I laid out was the likely outcome if Joey joins PSU. Would he possibly not RS and sit behind Zain for a year if 41 is no longer an option for him?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Yes a shame..But he was not ranked high enough for Cael to even take a look...Cael might have had to some work cut out all the fun.;)
I'm playing my friend...calm down. I was only pointing out these kids are thinking something by deciding on a place where they may sit a year or two. I just gave an option as to what their mindset may be. And you know I'm gonna throw a dig at Iowa anytime I get the chance. Lol. It wouldn't be me if I didn't...

I agree, I was just wondering if the senerio I laid out was the likely outcome if Joey joins PSU. Would he possibly not RS and sit behind Zain for a year if 41 is no longer an option for him?
I'd be shocked if McKenna came to PSU to sit especially with a redshirt available. No telling what the plan would be but I can't see someone not having to sit a year or two.

I don't think anyone on this board probably knows. Or anyone in the media or it would have come out in the transfer articles. I don't believe he's competed anywhere since NCAAs so probably only a few - including McKenna - know what's in store for him for 2017-18. And maybe they don't even know.

But it is entirely possible. If he RS and then goes 149 when Zain leaves, Cortez goes 141 this year, next year Nick Lee and Cortez battle it out for 41, while either Suriano or RBY rs and the other goes 133. This would allow the other to RS the next year, keep Nick Lee at 141 for an extra year, and put Verkleeren in the lineup at 149 and Berge at 157 both as rsSO (I think - doing this off the top of my head). The next year everyone could move up as Cenzo will be gone. It's not a far fetched situation.

Of course he could just be heading to 141 to battle it out this year and someone (Keener, Cortez or McKenna) will be sitting on the bench after wrestle offs while Nick Lee RSs.

Reactions: Gebmo and edquinn06
I'd be shocked if McKenna came to PSU to sit especially with a redshirt available. No telling what the plan would be but I can't see someone not having to sit a year or two.
He did already take a GS so he may sit behind Zain for a year for a chance to train at PSU ala what Berge and Verk might have todo. Figure McKenna has his eyes set on 65kg post college and have heard 141 isn't as easy as it once was. But yes if he plans on 49 I figure he would RS and not sit behind Zain for a year. He can't be that sick of school already!

I don't think anyone on this board probably knows. Or anyone in the media or it would have come out in the transfer articles. I don't believe he's competed anywhere since NCAAs so probably only a few - including McKenna - know what's in store for him for 2017-18. And maybe they don't even know.

But it is entirely possible. If he RS and then goes 149 when Zain leaves, Cortez goes 141 this year, next year Nick Lee and Cortez battle it out for 41, while either Suriano or RBY rs and the other goes 133. This would allow the other to RS the next year, keep Nick Lee at 141 for an extra year, and put Verkleeren in the lineup at 149 and Berge at 157 both as rsSO (I think - doing this off the top of my head). The next year everyone could move up as Cenzo will be gone. It's not a far fetched situation.

Of course he could just be heading to 141 to battle it out this year and someone (Keener, Cortez or McKenna) will be sitting on the bench after wrestle offs while Nick Lee RSs.
Sounds like a great problem to have! Thanks for the convo gentlemen!

Reactions: johnstownsteel

Corey's run this year was inspiring and cheered by many on this board. He gets a ton of credit for his perseverance IMO. Not sure why you need to throw shade at Jimmy though.

I got info over the weekend from a Pretty good source that Mckeena was at PSU this past Friday and Saturday-----So as far as I know he only has Lehigh to visit----so we should know soon.
Yes. He was at PSU over the weekend but i didn't want to say it first. That is why i said we should be hearing something in a week. Maybe after his visit this weekend if he even goes....He may want to work out with Zain a lot. Zain is going to be around PSU for a few more years training after next season for the Oly in 2020....

Reactions: tabenn and LemonPie

If he's outgrown 141 then he's not coming to PSU. He's not going anywhere to redshirt.

Bob Pruesse, who is as unbiased as it comes regarding recruiting predictions, thinks it's either tOSU or Lehigh for McKenna.

I looked into my crystal ball. It tells me that Lehigh has a slight edge over PSU. But it's a little cloudy and asks me to "Try Again Later".

Reactions: diggerpup
Bob Pruesse, who is as unbiased as it comes regarding recruiting predictions, thinks it's either tOSU or Lehigh for McKenna.
Not sure of his long standing track record, but Bob called Spencer to Penn State about a week prior to Spencer's verbal to Iowa.

Proesse indicated he was just speculating about where McKenna would end up, rather than having any inside scoop.

No one knows his motivation or his need.

At PSU there is enormous comp in the room. And he will have an opportunity to a part of something real special and could win a Championship at 141 contributing greatly to a shot at an all time record tournament team record. No ship $$$.

At O$U, he probably has a spot at 149 but will lose at least twice to ZR and Jordan will lose at least twice to JN. But that really fills out their lineup and will make then very tough. Championship caliber. Something special???? Probably not. Probably gets some aid.

At Lehigh, he fits in nicely at 149 and will do well but will just be another good wrestler on a good team but nothing special. Probably gets close to a full ride but just guessing that.

We'll see what he wants and what he needs soon enough. PSU doesn't really need him. Kinda of a luxury of richs. But O$U and Lehigh do for different reasons.

No one knows his motivation or his need.

At PSU there is enormous comp in the room. And he will have an opportunity to a part of something real special and could win a Championship at 141 contributing greatly to a shot at an all time record tournament team record. No ship $$$.

At O$U, he probably has a spot at 149 but will lose at least twice to ZR and Jordan will lose at least twice to JN. But that really fills out their lineup and will make then very tough. Championship caliber. Something special???? Probably not. Probably gets some aid.

At Lehigh, he fits in nicely at 149 and will do well but will just be another good wrestler on a good team but nothing special. Probably gets close to a full ride but just guessing that.

We'll see what he wants and what he needs soon enough. PSU doesn't really need him. Kinda of a luxury of richs. But O$U and Lehigh do for different reasons.

I'm not even sure McKenna @149 for tOSU would even help them that much. IMHO here are the placements:
Current lineup -
149 Jordan 2nd or 3rd (and 3 is the absolute floor barring injuries, flus, long bus rides, etc)
157 Ryan NP

With McKenna
149 McKenna - ceiling 3, floor NP (hard to predict given what happened last NCAAs)
157 Jordan 6-8 (I see 5 wrestlers clearly ahead of him)

Then add the awkward dynamic of Ryan benching his son...

I'm not even sure McKenna @149 for tOSU would even help them that much. IMHO here are the placements:
Current lineup -
149 Jordan 2nd or 3rd (and 3 is the absolute floor barring injuries, flus, long bus rides, etc)
157 Ryan NP

With McKenna
149 McKenna - ceiling 3, floor NP (hard to predict given what happened last NCAAs)

If McKenna is @49 and Micah @57 Ryan is saved the embarrassment of just benching him for the Nolf match and intentionally dropping him into the B1G consolations to protect him from Nolf.

Reactions: diggerpup
IMHO the most likely destination for McKenna is that he stays at Stanford. Remember that the original RUMOR was (and this quote may not be exact)
"SOURCES say that McKenna is CONSIDERING transferring out of Stanford".

Current lineup -
157 Ryan NP

With McKenna

Ryan has always seemed to go out of his way to protect his son. I am not seeing Ryan bringing in someone that results in squeezing his son out of the lineup. Could happen, believe it when it happens.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT