ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Palm has us in the Cotton Bowl vs..

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
San Diego State??

A really off the wall predictions, not on our end, on SDSU end. They aren't even ranked and lost to Southern Alabama. Western Michigan would be a BCS at Large I think.

There was another cotton bowl prediction I saw that was sdsu vs. wisc

Of note --- the "Non-Power 5 spot among the New Year's Day 6 Bowls" can only go to a conference champion.

Boise State may be highly ranked, but their loss to Wyoming puts them in a tough spot in terms of winning their division (to even get a chance to play San Diego State for the MWC Title). They need either (1) Wyoming, who is 5-0 in MWC play, to lose twice in their last 3 games, or (2) New Mexico to win out completely.

Cotton Bowl bids are at-large, that is, not affiliated with any conference. A Cotton Bowl bid to me would be insulting, since that would put us no higher than 5th in the conference-- behind a team we beat and a team that team beat by 59 points.

Bleacher Report has us in the Outback against Florida.

I think we have a legitimate shot at the Rose if we win out (probably between us and OSU). Wisconsin is the wildcard, but I think the Outback is our fall back. I agree, the Cotton is a reach and besides, we want warmth for a bowl game!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I think we have a legitimate shot at the Rose if we win out (probably between us and OSU). Wisconsin is the wildcard, but I think the Outback is our fall back. I agree, the Cotton is a reach and besides, we want warmth for a bowl game!

On tOSU, if they are up for the rose, it probably means they lost to Michigan. If they beat Michigan (and the B1G), they'd be the best B1G team and surely in the final four. So if tOSU loses their last game of the year and we win out, the conference records would show tOSU with two losses and us with one. We'd go to the Rose.

Reactions: daveM.

The Cotton Bowl is played in the Jerry Dome, which can be closed if the weather is not good. So, you will get your warm weather - at least for the game.

Cotton Bowl bids are at-large, that is, not affiliated with any conference. A Cotton Bowl bid to me would be insulting, since that would put us no higher than 5th in the conference-- behind a team we beat and a team that team beat by 59 points.
What are you talking about? The Cotton Bowl is part New Years six bowls. They get to pick after Playoff and Rose Bowl. They are the at large bid of the New Years Six but they select teams before the other conference bowls.

On tOSU, if they are up for the rose, it probably means they lost to Michigan. If they beat Michigan (and the B1G), they'd be the best B1G team and surely in the final four. So if tOSU loses their last game of the year and we win out, the conference records would show tOSU with two losses and us with one. We'd go to the Rose.
That not guaranteed because Michigan would still have to win the Big Ten Championship game. Also it would also be based on what the rankings are and who the Rose Bowl chooses. A close loss to Michigan and Ohio State could be still ahead of Penn State in the rankings.

1. The Rose Bowl Game has sole discretion on a replacement team, and will generally select the highest‐rated available team, but will take
    into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head‐to‐head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl Game appearances.

That not guaranteed because Michigan would still have to win the Big Ten Championship game. Also it would also be based on what the rankings are and who the Rose Bowl chooses. A close loss to Michigan and Ohio State could be still ahead of Penn State in the rankings.

1. The Rose Bowl Game has sole discretion on a replacement team, and will generally select the highest‐rated available team, but will take
    into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head‐to‐head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl Game appearances.

True....but I would be surprised if the east team lost in the B1G championship game. Its all speculation. But you make a good point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT