ADVERTISEMENT

The morning after: embrace the horror

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Here is the reality:

A) Our coach has strengths and weaknesses. He is not going anywhere. People can scream for his head if it makes them feel better but it's like demanding that the sun rise in the west tomorrow morning. Not gonna happen. Mike Yurcich, on the other hand: different story.

B) Our offense is dysfunctional against top-level defenses. Some of us saw danger signs many weeks ago against inferior opponents and were pounced on for expressing concern. Now it's become obvious to everyone. It certainly was to Michigan yesterday which called a mindboggling 32 running plays in a row in the second half after realizing we were no threat to move the ball against them. But look on the bright side: against all the other teams in the mediocre Big-10, our superior D and advantages across the board in talent and speed are more than enough to compensate.

C) Drew seems lost and terrified of making a mistake. In fact, the game plan on offense appears to ask little and expect little of the kid. This is mystifying given that he is a huge talent with a great arm. However, his performance and confidence appears to have alarmingly regressed since the West Virginia game.

At the end of the day, I'm reminded of some advice received from a senior manager in the government after a series of idiotic mistakes at various levels produced a disastrous screw-up: Embrace the horror. At the time I had no friggin' idea what that meant...and still don't...but it sounds profound and might be applicable to our situation now. Besides, 10-2 and an NY6 bowl bid against a top-10 SEC team are not all that horrible.

Here is the reality:

A) Our coach has strengths and weaknesses. He is not going anywhere. People can scream for his head if it makes them feel better but it's like demanding that the sun rise in the west tomorrow morning. Not gonna happen. Mike Yurcich, on the other hand: different story.

B) Our offense is dysfunctional against top-level defenses. Some of us saw danger signs many weeks ago against inferior opponents and were pounced on for expressing concern. Now it's become obvious to everyone. It certainly was to Michigan yesterday which called a mindboggling 32 running plays in a row in the second half after realizing we were no threat to move the ball against them. But look on the bright side: against all the other teams in the mediocre Big-10, our superior D and advantages across the board in talent and speed are more than enough to compensate.

C) Drew seems lost and terrified of making a mistake. In fact, the game plan on offense appears to ask little and expect little of the kid. This is mystifying given that he is a huge talent with a great arm. However, his performance and confidence appears to have alarmingly regressed since the West Virginia game.

At the end of the day, I'm reminded of some advice received from a senior manager in the government after a series of idiotic mistakes at various levels produced a disastrous screw-up: Embrace the horror. At the time I had no friggin' idea what that meant...and still don't...but it sounds profound and might be applicable to our situation now. Besides, 10-2 and an NY6 bowl bid against a top-10 SEC team are not all that horrible.
In the military, it's called "embrace the suck". You know you have a bad duty station and you cannot do anything about it. You only have so long so you need to "embrace the suck." It's all about lowering expectations. Mine have been effectively lowered or reduced. I do expect 10-2 but it surely is not guaranteed. Way too many whiff blocks by TE's that result in lost yardage or rushed passes. No holes to run through on most plays. Unimaginative play calling. Oh, the list is long. Remember to "embrace the suck" Next year we may start again.

Here is the reality:

Just one example, but this season was lost last year when Franklin refused to play Drew when it mattered. Franklin is in over his head, and always has been. He just doesn't have what it takes to be elite.

Drew Allar has been a major disappointment. He has no zip on his passes and is inaccurate.
I'm not sure he can be evaluated until one, just one, only one can consistently get open. Some talking head mentioned that seeing it live versus the replay showed two different Allars. Seeing it live , this guy said no one was open, just running around being covered. The TV doesn't show that and it looks like it's all on Allar. It isn't

Here is the reality:

Spot on. The ridiculously conservative play calling yesterday wasn’t going to cut against Michigan’s defense. Pretty much all of the things that worked for Allar against Maryland went out the window yesterday.

Reactions: Jerry
In the military, it's called "embrace the suck". You know you have a bad duty station and you cannot do anything about it. You only have so long so you need to "embrace the suck." It's all about lowering expectations. Mine have been effectively lowered or reduced. I do expect 10-2 but it surely is not guaranteed. Way too many whiff blocks by TE's that result in lost yardage or rushed passes. No holes to run through on most plays. Unimaginative play calling. Oh, the list is long. Remember to "embrace the suck" Next year we may start again.

Thank you for the explanation on the meaning of the phrase in question. Makes sense...though I honestly never heard it used during my own service in the 1970's.

In any case, as I posted here in the prediction thread, it was hard to feel confident about this game given the history of the last many years. Therefore, my expectations had indeed been considerably lowered, which made the loss a lot easier to take.

Thank you for the explanation on the meaning of the phrase in question. Makes sense...though I honestly never heard it used during my own service in the 1970's.

In any case, as I posted here in the prediction thread, it was hard to feel confident about this game given the history of the last many years. Therefore, my expectations had indeed been considerably lowered, which made the loss a lot easier to take.
I'm a day late, but thank you for your service to our country, Jerry.

Reactions: psu00 and Jerry
Spot on. The ridiculously conservative play calling yesterday wasn’t going to cut against Michigan’s defense. Pretty much all of the things that worked for Allar against Maryland went out the window yesterday.
Anyone that thought our WR room would be better this year simply need to look at the position coach hire in the off-season. We hired a coach from UVA. When is the last time UVA had any semblance of a “passing attack” with a draft worthy WR? Does UVA even throw forward passes? The UVA hire was for recruiting purposes, which is an area we don’t lack in. We lack in “coaching” and “developing” players.

Anyone that thought our WR room would be better this year simply need to look at the position coach hire in the off-season. We hired a coach from UVA. When is the last time UVA had any semblance of a “passing attack” with a draft worthy WR? Does UVA even throw forward passes? The UVA hire was for recruiting purposes, which is an area we don’t lack in. We lack in “coaching” and “developing” players.
I don't know enough about the guy but our WRs don't seem to be able to beat anybody deep. High rated players like Saunders and freshman Ivey seldom see the field. Do you remember Norwood & Butler as freshmen? They weren't highly rated but were able to do better than what we have now. Something is certainly wrong.

Good point. That guy (Marques Hagans) seems like a step down from Taylor Stubblefield...or at least that's the way it's working out when it comes to game performance.

Drew Allar has been a major disappointment. He has no zip on his passes and is inaccurate.

For me, the bigger disappointment is "the best OL we've had in decades," or whatever the hype was. On several plays, Allar had to get the ball out far too early.

Reactions: psu00
I don't know enough about the guy but our WRs don't seem to be able to beat anybody deep. High rated players like Saunders and freshman Ivey seldom see the field. Do you remember Norwood & Butler as freshmen? They weren't highly rated but were able to do better than what we have now. Something is certainly wrong.

#1 was blanketed on the only semi deep ball thrown.

Reactions: Jerry and bdgan
From the OP:

>>A) Our coach has strengths and weaknesses. He is not going anywhere. People can scream for his head if it makes them feel better but it's like demanding that the sun rise in the west tomorrow morning. Not gonna happen. Mike Yurcich, on the other hand: different story.<<

That one aged well...

#1 was blanketed on the only semi deep ball thrown.

I think we threw, like, all of two patterns in the 15-20 yard range. You're not going to beat the Ohio States and Michigans of the world that way.

Reactions: psu00
The AP and Corch's Poll just about right- below Mizzoura with substantially moar quality top 40 wins but still above Chokelahoma

Reactions: Jerry
Just one example, but this season was lost last year when Franklin refused to play Drew when it mattered. Franklin is in over his head, and always has been. He just doesn't have what it takes to be elite.
Clifford was much better than allar is now

Reactions: gogolion
Embrace the Suck - The Navy Seal Way to an extraordinary life (a book by Brent Gleeson).

Good point. That guy (Marques Hagans) seems like a step down from Taylor Stubblefield...or at least that's the way it's working out when it comes to game performance.
Why did we get rid of Stubblefield? I thought he was doing fine and loved him as a player? Seemed like a real bush league move on the part of Franklin. Kinda like what he did with Ciarocca which was another bone head move on the part of Franklin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT